[Tutorial] Fixing the "Patching from 2011" Issues. - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

[Tutorial] Fixing the "Patching from 2011" Issues.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AsurABl00d

AsurABl00d

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1076 posts
  • LocationBehind You
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:iRO-Chaos

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:31 AM

Normally the RO Client re-patches from 2011 because of unexpected disconnection from the game from our side, this causes our patch.inf file to get corrupted. Corrupted as in the patch.inf file should never be empty.

Do these simple steps to make your client realize its recently patched.

1.Download
Removed by Dr. Azzy - this file is no good, and you cannot use notepad for editing patch.inf because it is a binary file, per comments by Axylus below.

Players should simply delete the existing patch.inf and replace it with the fresh version.

Edited by DrAzzy, 06 April 2013 - 03:27 PM.

#2 AsurABl00d

AsurABl00d

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1076 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

edited the patch.inf

#3 sedut

sedut

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

Wow. Unbelievable. It works, man. Thanksss~

:p_hi: :p_hi: :p_hi:

#4 AsurABl00d

AsurABl00d

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1076 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

Wow. Unbelievable. It works, man. Thanksss~

:p_hi: :p_hi: :p_hi:

Happy to help bro :D

#5 AsurABl00d

AsurABl00d

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1076 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

Patch file update for 2013

#6 AsurABl00d

AsurABl00d

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1076 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:50 AM

(Updated 3/APR/2013)

#7 shpongled

shpongled

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:17 AM

yes but what about the classic patch file. my classic is doing this error but my renewal is just fine

#8 AsurABl00d

AsurABl00d

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1076 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:44 AM

yes but what about the classic patch file. my classic is doing this error but my renewal is just fine

This is for the renewal, I really do not play classic sorry I have not tried and fix for it

#9 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:54 AM

Normally the RO Client re-patches from 2011 because of unexpected disconnection from the game from our side, this causes our patch.inf file to get corrupted. Corrupted as in the patch.inf file should never be empty.

That's not why it happens. The damage is done when it attempts the patch, not when you get DC'ed - somehow, it gets confused, and resets patch.inf to 0.

I do not think it's a good idea to make available patches updated to the absolute latest, because someone who started having the problem last night will see the post, download your patch.inf, and then start their client, missing the patches that came the night before, and wonder why they're now getting sprite errors.

That's why I don't put latest up on my patch.inf archive (though I should probably update this, though I can't do it until I get home, since I don't have the private key for SFTP on me at work) - http://drazzy.com/patch

#10 AsurABl00d

AsurABl00d

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1076 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

Well 12 of my friends who play Ragnarok have this issue try it yourself.

Open Ragnarok, start the game and close it. Unplug your internet and run ragnarok. The next time you open it, it will patch from 2011.

#11 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts
  • LocationEngland, United Kingdom

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

The update index (as I call it) stored in your version of patch.inf has a value of 538970287; however, the index of the latest update (at the time of writing this post) is 2223. Using your version of the file will cause the updater to skip 538,968,064 future updates, which means that the updater will almost certainly never apply any updates again. :mellow:

Even if your version of patch.inf contained a suitable value, copying and pasting the contents of the file using Notepad would corrupt the copied data due to it not being text.

It was nice of you to create this guide, but I'm afraid that, in its current state, it will ultimately cause more problems than it solves. If you want to meddle with patch.inf, then you first need to learn how to manipulate raw binary data without corrupting it (hint: use a hex editor).

Anyone who has already replaced their patch.inf file with one of the versions linked to from this thread should replace it again with this version.

Edited by Axylus, 06 April 2013 - 07:27 AM.

#12 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

While I appreciate the spirit of the OP in trying to help with patching issues, you must provide solutions that work, instead of solutions that will destroy people's client. The only saving grace here is that he wasn't running notepad as admin, so for many users, UAC would protect them from munging their patch.inf by following his instructions.

I've removed the instructions so that players don't follow them and break their clients.

Clean, dated patch.inf are available from http://drazzy.com/patch/

OH! I see how he managed to get his patch file to be number 538970287 - it's because he was copying with notepad! The last two bytes should be 00 - notepad, because it's viewing as text, converts that (00 = ASCII NULL) into 20 (space). The value is as large as it is because those are the most significant digits (windows is little endian)

Edited by DrAzzy, 06 April 2013 - 04:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users