• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Niquify

Niquify

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

So I started a Super Novice now (Novice 40 still ) and I have some questions regarding gear and stat builds.

Are melee SN viable? Right now I have:
STR: 27
AGI: 38+1
DEX: 34+1

Gear:
Top: Polar Bear Hat (Gonna change to Angel's Kiss when I reach lv. 50)
Chest: Angelic Protection with Pupa Card
Weapon: Eden Dagger I
Shield: No shield for ASPD / Angelic Guard with Thief Bug Egg Card for stronger enemies
Garment: Eden Group Manteau II
Shoes: Angel's Reincarnation
No accesories.

Don't have much zeny since I just started playing so I only have about 20-30M to spend.

Thanks in advance ^^.

Edited by Niquify, 29 December 2012 - 10:36 PM.

#2 Irreparable

Irreparable

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 978 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

Hello Niquify,

from what I learned so far, Melee Super Novices are easier to level than caster novices in renewal (unless you play a full support SN with a good party).

For your stats, you should take str to 30 (I know there a no more bonuses for 10th's, but I still like them better that way xD) and after that it's important to know if you will first up your dex enhancing or damage enhancing skills, because you will need a high hit value to level at higher level monsters.

If you intend to first up dex enhancing skills like Blessing, Owl's Eye, Improve Conc., etc you can leave dex how it is right now and increase your agility (main dmg point of SN's is their high ASPD), however, if you intend to first skill skills like improve dodge, double attack, Bash, etc. then you should first up you dex a bit more to around 40~50.

Gearwise, I can recommend you the Angelic Set until you have enough money to buy a fully carded Lighthalzen Set (Novice Shield, Novice Breastplate, Novice Manteau, Novice Shoes, Super Novice Hat) as it gives you more actual dmg reduction which is very important in later levels.

I hope I could help you with this at least a little, as I haven't gathered much knowledge about SN's in renewal myself, yet.

Greetings
Ascend

#3 GinaKay

GinaKay

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 790 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

Yes they're viable, in fact that's the only SN build I see nowadays. Anyway 20mil should be good enough to averagely gear a Super Novice, and you've listed most of the important gears already, you just need to change a few things like:

Weapon: Cinquedea or Star Dust Blade
Garment: Angelic Cardigan with Harpy Card (I'd recommend Raydric but it costs more than all your current zeny)
Shield: This is fine until you get enough zeny, then I recommend getting a variety of Angelic Guards carded with -30% racial cards, or Hodremlin card for all around.
Accessories: 2x clips, one with Lude and one with Quve cards

If there's a time in your life that you still main a Super Novice and managed to get around 5-10bil, then getting a Brynhild for your armor will eliminate the need for the full Angelic set, thus allowing for more gear variation.

#4 Irreparable

Irreparable

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 978 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

Yes they're viable, in fact that's the only SN build I see nowadays. Anyway 20mil should be good enough to averagely gear a Super Novice, and you've listed most of the important gears already, you just need to change a few things like:

Weapon: Cinquedea or Star Dust Blade
Garment: Angelic Cardigan with Harpy Card (I'd recommend Raydric but it costs more than all your current zeny)
Shield: This is fine until you get enough zeny, then I recommend getting a variety of Angelic Guards carded with -30% racial cards, or Hodremlin card for all around.
Accessories: 2x clips, one with Lude and one with Quve cards

If there's a time in your life that you still main a Super Novice and managed to get around 5-10bil, then getting a Brynhild for your armor will eliminate the need for the full Angelic set, thus allowing for more gear variation.

Hello GinaKay,

wouldn't the Lighthalzen Set be more viable for levels beyond 99?

I mean, even from pre-renewal experience I can tell you that 900 more do jacksh*t if you don't have proper reduce-gear, that's why I really like the Novice Shield with it's -20% dmg from every element besides neutral.

Also, for later levels a card combo of Incubus + Sucubus card with the LHZ gear would give him better survival chances with the dmg reduce, even though he would lose 600 hp. (900 set + 700 pupa vs. 1k hp from the sucubus card)

Greetings
Ascend

#5 GinaKay

GinaKay

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:26 AM

Oh, I never payed attention to the LHZ set tbh, but looking at it now it does seem a lot better for the later levels. And yea I was gonna recommend Succubus + Incubus but I usually use those on the Angelic armor and hat. Anyway just gonna agree with you on the shield, manteau and shoes. The breastplate and hat don't seem to be that great. Super Novices can equip plenty of different hats almost as much as regular classes, and for the armor I'd prolly just get an enchanted Angelic Protection instead, at least until I have access to a Brynhild.

#6 Irreparable

Irreparable

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 978 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:37 AM

Hello GinaKay,

Oh, I see xD

Well, it's true that the Novice Breastplate isn't that great, I just wanted to list the whole set - It's true that the best is a mix of both sets. I would go for the Angelic Protection because of the Mdef, but you said something about enchanting, could you please elaborate this a bit further?

I guess you refer to CashShop hats? As for most other headgear, the Super Novice Spirit is required and I would rather not link my SN after each map change just to equip the headgear again :/

Brynhild, the dream of every SN out there, yeah <3

Greetings
Ascend

#7 Niquify

Niquify

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:48 AM

Thanks a lot for the responses ^^
I'm 50/33 now and have this skills:
-Improve Dodge: 10
-Double Attack: 10
-Sword Mastery: 5
-Enlarge Weight Limit : 2 (to carry a few more pots)
-Heal: 3
-Owl's Eye: 2

Also what about the weapon? You suggested a Cinquedea or Star Dust Blade but didn't tell me what card to put in. I was thinking on getting a sword with Sidewinder.

Edited by Niquify, 30 December 2012 - 01:50 AM.

#8 Irreparable

Irreparable

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 978 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:02 AM

Hello Niquify,

first off, congratulations to becoming one of us!

For your choice of weapon, I would suggest a Orcish Axe, because axes have a slighter aspd malus in renewal than swords and daggers do.

For that reason, you won't need Sword Mastery and can put those points elsewhere, as sword mastery doesn't work for axes, as the name would suggest.

You can skill Double Attack 10 and wear a Chick Hat with your SN, that will give you double attack even with axes, while keeping all lots open for dmg cards and even increase your HP/SP a little bit.

As for cards, first of I would need to know where you intend to level your SN.

Greetings
Ascend

#9 GinaKay

GinaKay

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:40 AM

Hello GinaKay,

Oh, I see xD

Well, it's true that the Novice Breastplate isn't that great, I just wanted to list the whole set - It's true that the best is a mix of both sets. I would go for the Angelic Protection because of the Mdef, but you said something about enchanting, could you please elaborate this a bit further?

I guess you refer to CashShop hats? As for most other headgear, the Super Novice Spirit is required and I would rather not link my SN after each map change just to equip the headgear again :/

Brynhild, the dream of every SN out there, yeah <3

Greetings
Ascend

There is (or was) an NPC back then that can enchant certain armors and give it stats of +1/2/3 of any of the 6 stats (AGI, STR, etc). I remember when she first came out, she was located in south print, now idk if the NPC is still somewhere around, but with all the enchanted armors, I figure she's still around.

There's plenty of hats that don't require link for novices to equip. Headgears like Black Devil Mask, Garuda Hat, CEB, Zodiac headgears, Moon Rabbit Hat, Striped Hat, etc are all better than the Super Novice Hat and can be equipped without link. But while he's short on zeny, Super Novice Hat would be best for now.

#10 Irreparable

Irreparable

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 978 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:51 AM

There is (or was) an NPC back then that can enchant certain armors and give it stats of +1/2/3 of any of the 6 stats (AGI, STR, etc). I remember when she first came out, she was located in south print, now idk if the NPC is still somewhere around, but with all the enchanted armors, I figure she's still around.

There's plenty of hats that don't require link for novices to equip. Headgears like Black Devil Mask, Garuda Hat, CEB, Zodiac headgears, Moon Rabbit Hat, Striped Hat, etc are all better than the Super Novice Hat and can be equipped without link. But while he's short on zeny, Super Novice Hat would be best for now.

Hello GinaKay,

ah, I head of that NPC, I didn't know it could enchant Novice gear as well, though.

Well, those are all CashShop headgears, while I was talking about ingame headgears.

Of course most CS headgears can be equipped even by Novices, otherwise they would lose out on some potential cash x)

Greetings
Ascend

#11 stroopwafel

stroopwafel

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationNetherlands
  • Server:tba

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:45 AM

Some interesting cards for SN imo are

Succubus + Incubus set, armor + headgear
Quve + Lude set, both accessory
Remover, armor
Apocalypse, +9 armor
Pupa, armor
Roda Frog, armor
Thief Bug Egg, shield

When I played EuRO I sort of mained a SN and had a +8 hard novice breastplate. Was also very handy to have around when you made new chars. As you left the training ground you could have close to 1k HP as a novice making poporing hunting a lot easier pre-renewal. Back then a +8 or +10 triple hurricane (andre card) stiletto was pretty much basic gear for any SN. Those with more cash opted for +8-+10 stiletto's carded with size or race cards. I managed to make a +8 stiletto a few days ago without enriched stuff. Only needed 2 stiletto to get a +8, other broke at +7->+8, just need 2 more andre cards to complete it.

Played around with a calc and came close to 6k on a 99 SN, don't know if that's an average or low amount with Renewal. Used the Incubus+Succubus set for as the main HP source.

#12 Niquify

Niquify

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

Thanks for the suggestions ^^.

Btw I reached 70.0% exp and I wonder how to do teh fury chant? I tried several times but I don't know if I'm doing it right. Also, my name has a space in it so I don't know if that makes me fail the name part.

#13 Irreparable

Irreparable

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 978 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

Hello Niquify,

for the fury, you first have to post 7 random lines on the map where you currently are and then post this;
  • Dear angel, can you hear my voice?
  • I am (your name) SuperNovice~
  • Help me out~ Please~ T_T
  • &

with & being a random line and if you name has a space in it, I think you have to use "" like "My Name".

Greetings
Ascend

#14 Niquify

Niquify

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

Okay, I will try that next time I get a 10% multiplier ^^. I managed to get job lvl 50 and I noticed I need like 10 times more exp for 51 D:

#15 Irreparable

Irreparable

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 978 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

Hello Niquify,

that can't be ;)

Look at the bottom of this chart:

http://irowiki.org/wiki/Job_EXP_Chart

Super Novice Job exp after job 50 is always +10k more than the last time.

Greetings
Ascend

Edited by Ascend, 30 December 2012 - 07:54 PM.

#16 Niquify

Niquify

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

Sorry I meant 49 to 50 took me 97k exp while 50-51 takes 590k exp. Need 5 times more exp compared to last level.

Edited by Niquify, 31 December 2012 - 11:11 PM.

#17 Irreparable

Irreparable

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 978 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

Sorry I meant 49 to 50 took me 97k exp while 50-51 takes 590k exp. Need 5 times more exp compared to last level.

Hello Niquify,

such is the life of an SN - happy grinding with the Third Job Job Exp table =P (I still got that stuff ahead of me as well Q_Q)

Greetings
Ascend

P.S.: May I ask how you found out your ropd account id without any alts? Been trying to find out mine since a week ~_~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users