Characters Name Was Altered? - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Characters Name Was Altered?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 EpicGnome

EpicGnome

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

I have a character named "Aculeus" and upon returning after a long quitting period, I see his name has been changed to "Aculeus_VA". I would like to know why and how it was changed, how it can be changed back, and if it was due to some merger of servers. I remember distinctly there being two free servers and one VIP server, and now there is only Chaos and Loki (Classic). Loki I can't connect to. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Edit: I also apparently can't get Setup to even open, it instantly crashes.

Edited by EpicGnome, 23 January 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#2 Riakuta

Riakuta

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4153 posts
  • LocationNeed to Know
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

Renewal Chaos is the merge between Ymir, Yggdrasil, & Valkyrie Servers.
Classic Lokis is the Pre-Renewal Server

To connect to Classic Loki you have to use the Classic Patcher instead of the regular one.

On to the name change you should have a blue bar next to your name in the character select screen that will allow you to change it to a name that isn't taken by another player. This only happens if during the merge players have conflicting names in which case first come first serve. If it already is changed and there is no blue bar then you will have to send in a ticket and request a name change for that character which should be a free service for characters that had conflicting names and did not get an option to change them.

#3 EpicGnome

EpicGnome

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

I'm fairly certain I was the first to have the name considering I tested in on the other servers but ok then. These constant mess ups are the reason I quit to begin with. After several years the client download from the website STILL doesn't work properly, no matter what computer or browser I use (using another internet connection doesn't do anything either). I wasn't aware the player base had shrunk so much they needed to combine them o-o.

*After Doing The Name Change*

I changed my name to Aculeus out of curiosity, removing the _VA and it was accepted, meaning there really was no other with that name. My name should not have even been altered to begin with. Setup still doesn't work, so I'm stuck with a tiny 400x___ window, with my mouse stuck in it. Also randomly get the NoClient error I've seen others have issues with here recently. I had hoped after a year of not playing things would have improved. Apparently I was wrong. Oh well. Thank you very much for the hint about the blue bar, even if it ended up they had no reason to change my name in the first place.

Edit: Wow even items are buggy. My authoritative badges dont increase my speed each time as they should, and they are warping me back to my last save point.....Not looking too good on me returning I guess.

Edited by EpicGnome, 23 January 2013 - 09:43 PM.

#4 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

I'm fairly certain I was the first to have the name considering I tested in on the other servers but ok then. These constant mess ups are the reason I quit to begin with. After several years the client download from the website STILL doesn't work properly, no matter what computer or browser I use (using another internet connection doesn't do anything either). I wasn't aware the player base had shrunk so much they needed to combine them o-o.

I changed my name to Aculeus out of curiosity, removing the _VA and it was accepted, meaning there really was no other with that name. My name should not have even been altered to begin with. Setup still doesn't work, so I'm stuck with a tiny 400x___ window, with my mouse stuck in it. Also randomly get the NoClient error I've seen others have issues with here recently. I had hoped after a year of not playing things would have improved. Apparently I was wrong. Oh well. Thank you very much for the hint about the blue bar, even if it ended up they had no reason to change my name in the first place.

Edit: Wow even items are buggy. My authoritative badges dont increase my speed each time as they should, and they are warping me back to my last save point.....Not looking too good on me returning I guess.

No, there was another character with that name - but you changed your name back before they did.

Setup not working - we can work around this.
First, move the RO folder to a location outside of program files, so Windows UAC won't get in the way.
Open RO folder, open savedata folder.
Open OptionInfo.lua with Notepad (when prompted, choose "select the program from a list" and choose notepad)
Edit these options as appropriate:
OptionInfoList["LockMouse"] = 0
OptionInfoList["MouseExclusive"] = 0
OptionInfoList["ISFULLSCREENMODE"] = 0
OptionInfoList["WIDTH"] = 1024
OptionInfoList["HEIGHT"] = 768
No, I don't know the difference between LockMouse and MouseExclusive.

No ClientInfo file error:

That error is caused because the patcher doesn't correctly release it's lock on data.grf in time on some systems, so the game is unable to access it. The solution is to use the patcher to patch, but not to start the game.

Open your RO folder, rightclick ragexe.exe, and choose create shortcut.
Name the shortcut something informative, like Ragnarok - Bypass Patch
Rightclick the shortcut, and select Properties
On the Shortcut tab of properties, go to the Target field. You'll see something like:

"C:\Games\Ragnarok Online\ragexe.exe"
At the end of the line, after the closing quote, add (space)-1rag1 like this:
"C:\Games\Ragnarok Online\ragexe.exe" -1rag1

Now, when you want to patch the RO client (you should do this first), use the normal Ragnarok shortcut, but exit out of it when done, instead of clicking start.

Then start the client by using the shortcut you just created.

Edited by DrAzzy, 29 January 2013 - 12:11 AM.

#5 ilovemilk

ilovemilk

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3452 posts
  • LocationMilky Way
  • Server:Offline

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:23 AM

That's the most complaint I've seen in one post. I'm glad I'm not your IT guy.

#6 EpicGnome

EpicGnome

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Wouldn't combine them all into one post if they would fix them after years of it being wrong. Fix the problem and there won't be complaints. I've had these same problems for years. And apparently other people obviously have been leaving if they needed to combine servers. I have worked with IT and games before, which is why I know this should be fixed by now and I know it isn't that complicated to fix given such a big time span. And yes as shown there are work arounds, but I shouldn't have to use work arounds so often. I mean seriously, I'm forced to use a client download from 2011 because the official one hasn't worked in at least 2-3 years if not longer? Even more bothersome since others have the same issue. Granted, I have to for my Linux computer but that's because Ragnarok doesn't run native on Linux last time I ran it.

I was able to fix the bug with the authoritative badge. I messed around a bit and found out it's not a bug with the item, but a bug with the command settings. I redid all my settings after returning them to default a few times and was able to stop the bug (At least for now). I'll keep the shortcut alteration in mind. My noclient issue is a bit different from the others. Mine isn't every time I open it, it's random. If it keeps up I'll submit a ticket but I don't see that getting much done xD. No ticket I have submitted has given results. Messaging moderators directly however has been wonderful, especially when trying to use iRO on Linux. Great staffer, if only I could remember his name x-x.

Edited by EpicGnome, 24 January 2013 - 09:50 AM.

#7 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

I was able to fix the bug with the authoritative badge. I messed around a bit and found out it's not a bug with the item, but a bug with the command settings. I redid all my settings after returning them to default a few times and was able to stop the bug (At least for now). I'll keep the shortcut alteration in mind. My noclient issue is a bit different from the others. Mine isn't every time I open it, it's random. If it keeps up I'll submit a ticket but I don't see that getting much done xD.

Oh, dur, I knew this was the issue with the a-badge, I forgot to respond to that issue too. Inconsistent behavior with regard to whether RO is run as admin (it should always be run as admin, or if you've taken the necessary steps to sidestep UAC, it can be run normally - but it should NEVER be run as admin one day and non-admin another day.

I get the no-client issue somewhat randomly on startup as well. I suspect it's a timing issue (whether the lock is released faster than the client can try to load it's data). Plus, of course, once you have 1 client running, it can't happen, because the client has data.grf open and so the patcher can't lock it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users