failed to connect to server - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

failed to connect to server

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 deadsatan

deadsatan

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

i do not have a firewall up. I am connected to the internet. I literally JUST bought this computer today. it keeps saying failed to connect to server. sometimes it doesn't do the patching either. I keep running it as administrator. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it like 3 times. if anyone has any ideas? maybe similar problems solved. maybe i'm just missing something? this is pretty much WHY I bought this computer x) thanks!

#2 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts
  • LocationEngland, United Kingdom

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

You bought a new computer to fix a network problem? :unsure:

If the problem is affecting two different computers, then the fault probably lies with your router, modem, or ISP.

Is your computer portable? If so, then take it somewhere where free wireless Internet access is available, and then test whether the problem persists. You should run both the updater/patch client and game client several times and note what happens in detail.

#3 Suta

Suta

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

Im also haveing this issue.i was playing it just fine thu,fri,sater. i went to do the patching today and its giving me problems so i went where the wireless was much better than the one at home but it dont seem to make a difference.

Edited by Suta, 12 February 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#4 Kuroiineko

Kuroiineko

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

same, was playing this morning, and when i tried to re-open RO, it says failed to connect to server, and still unable to connect atm.

#5 ShiveringShadows

ShiveringShadows

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 853 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Can you access the HTTP server containing the patch file list (among other things)?

Can you access the FTP server containing the patch files?

#6 Suta

Suta

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

:p_omg: *chokes* oh god im in trouble! :Emo_18: computer illiterate here lol. im able to see whats on those links but no clue what to do with them :ani_swt3: .....gaah why did my computer friend have to move to LA for a job.meeep :p_sick: was hoping it would be something simple. :ani_swt3: looks like i may have to chat with someone i dont get to talk to often about this.heh

#7 Suta

Suta

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

do i just copy and paste? :p_err:

#8 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

We need to figure out exactly what is wrong in order to know how to fix it, so to find that out, do this:

Attempt to view both of these links in Internet Explorer (not some other browser).

If either of them doesn't work in IE, attempt to view both in another browser (firefox or chrome).

If they both work in IE, immediately try to start the RO client and see if it patches successfully.

Can you access the HTTP server containing the patch file list (among other things)?

Can you access the FTP server containing the patch files?

The first thing should be a text file listing patch files, and the second one should be a directory listing.

The second one should be
Index of /
Name Size Date Modified
cpatch/  2/6/13 12:28:00 PM
patch/  2/7/13 5:21:00 PM
sakpatch/  2/4/13 1:22:00 PM

Then - depending on the results of this test, we determine where to look for a fix.

* If they both work in IE, but patch fails - it's firewall software (possibly windows firewall), or some other program on your computer, actively blocking the RO client from patching.

* If they both work in IE, and patch succeeds (and game works), keep watch, and if it fails again, immediately try this test again and report what happens - you will likely find that one of the pages isn't working (probably the second one, with a DNS error, particularly if you're on comcast)

* If only the first one works in IE, but both work in other browsers, you have the IE FTP connectivity problem, which I don't know how to fix - Several others have reported, but if they fixed it, they never told us how.

* If neither of them work on IE, and both work on other browsers, IE is messed up and needs to be fixed to play RO (the patcher relies on IE). The most common problem is that IE is configured to use a bogus proxy - if this is what's happening, post what version of IE you have for further assistance.

* If the first page works, but the second one fails on both IE and other browsers, it's either a DNS issue, or your ISP doesn't permit FTP (this is a problem with some mobile internet providers) - on the non-IE browser, try to go to the second link.

If Firefox, no further setup is needed. Go to the second link, if the error says "Firefox can't find the server", it's a DNS issue.

If Chrome, options menu -> settings, scroll to the bottom and click show advanced settings, uncheck "Use web service to help resolve navigation errors". Then go to the second link. If the error says "The server at ... can't be found because the DNS lookup failed", it's a DNS issue.

After doing that, IF (AND ONLY IF) it's a DNS issue - your ISP is probably comcast, their DNS servers suck. Switch to using google public DNS - google "Google Public DNS" and follow the instructions.

If it's NOT a DNS issue, things are looking bad at this point. Try opening this link: ftp://ftp.microsoft.com If this fails, something is blocking all FTP connections from your computer. If you are using mobile internet service (mobile hotspot, tethering to cellphone, etc), your ISP is likely blocking FTP, and you cannot play RO on that connection. If you can access microsoft's ftp, there's hope, but you're in a weird situation, post details.

#9 stygionyx

stygionyx

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1463 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Have same problem for nearly a week now. Already did what DrAzzy instructed. On my computer, both pages can be opened in IE, but the patch is not working. I had configured my firewall setup to allow RO as exception. But the patch client keeps showing "failed to connect to patch server".

I suspect that the problem lies with DNS (I don't use ComCast). So, I change my DNS using Google public DNS. But still "failing to connect to patch server". *sigh

I don't know what else to do now and helps will be very much appreciated.

#10 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

Have same problem for nearly a week now. Already did what DrAzzy instructed. On my computer, both pages can be opened in IE, but the patch is not working. I had configured my firewall setup to allow RO as exception. But the patch client keeps showing "failed to connect to patch server".

I suspect that the problem lies with DNS (I don't use ComCast). So, I change my DNS using Google public DNS. But still "failing to connect to patch server". *sigh

I don't know what else to do now and helps will be very much appreciated.

If you can access the page in IE, at the same time (this is important - comcast DNS issue, and presumably others like it, are transient) that you can't patch RO, it is NOT a DNS problem.

Did you configure both the RO patch client and the game itself to be allowed through the firewall? You need to let through Ragnarok.exe and ragexe.exe, both located in the RO folder.
Do you have more than one firewall running? Possibly a third party one and windows firewall?

For diagnostic purposes, turn the firewall off, and see if it patches. If it does, then turn the firewall back on, and figure out what needs to be done to make it work with the firewall, now that you know it's a firewall issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users