Ragnarok Monster Lore - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Ragnarok Monster Lore

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Esalis

Esalis

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Meow

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

Hey Guys , Im making Ragnarok Monster Lore. Im doing research for Ragnarok Monster Lore and their back story.
If any of you guys interested in Monster back stories you can read it there. The main reason i created this thread is to get help from you guys on my research. Mind sharing me some of your information and knowledge regarding monsters in Ragnarok?

I can do request research for particular monster as well. Although i wont come up with good source sometimes, but i will do my best.

Edited by Esalis, 05 March 2013 - 12:28 AM.

#2 stygionyx

stygionyx

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1463 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:39 AM

There is a similar thread about Ragnarok Monster Lore in irowiki forums. You can check it there as lots of infos about monsters or certain maps origin were being discussed. But the thread is presumed to be dead as no no one keeps it updated anymore.

Edited by stygionyx, 05 March 2013 - 12:40 AM.

#3 Esalis

Esalis

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

I have it linked under my thread too for reference :>

#4 Esalis

Esalis

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

boink

#5 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

What was Green Maiden's?

#6 Esalis

Esalis

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

I'll try and work on that one >.<

#7 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

What was Green Maiden's?

green maiden and white lady have story tied together... they actually made a movie based on the myth behind them called "the Sorcerer and the White Snake" thats set to come out sometime soon... you can watch the trailer for it online... essentially a white snake demon and a green snake demon are hanging out the white snake falls in love with a human and turns herself into a woman to be with him.... they fall in love and get married... a Monk tries to break the up because a demon and a human shouldnt be together and only ill can come from such a union... the monk tries to break the spell on the man and the white snake and green snake try to stop him and cause the man to lose his memory... in the end the white snake is sealed away in a pagoda and the green snake runs off vowing to never fall in love...

#8 waka

waka

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

I saw the movie.. it's interesting take on Chinese legendary animals, in that both white and green snakes have lived for nearly a 1000 years and have become spiritual and mythical beings with power to shape change into humans. Jet Li plays the monk ...

Edited by waka, 12 March 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#9 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

yeah i saw it too... have it on my DVR

#10 Esalis

Esalis

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

green maiden and white lady have story tied together... they actually made a movie based on the myth behind them called "the Sorcerer and the White Snake" thats set to come out sometime soon... you can watch the trailer for it online... essentially a white snake demon and a green snake demon are hanging out the white snake falls in love with a human and turns herself into a woman to be with him.... they fall in love and get married... a Monk tries to break the up because a demon and a human shouldnt be together and only ill can come from such a union... the monk tries to break the spell on the man and the white snake and green snake try to stop him and cause the man to lose his memory... in the end the white snake is sealed away in a pagoda and the green snake runs off vowing to never fall in love...

Really? so green maiden is the green snake ? I never thought of that... i only know bacsojin's side of story >.<

Edited by Esalis, 12 March 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#11 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

yeah shes the younger sister... thats why shes a maiden and the white snake is the Lady

#12 Esalis

Esalis

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

Oh yeah , now i read about it , its all clear now. Bai Shu Zhen saved the green snake Xiaoqing and they became sisters.

#13 Lazulum

Lazulum

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationOceania
  • Server:Valkyrie_Open (chaos)

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

Interesting, I have noticed a number of monsters sharing the names of youkai variants, the tengus as an example.
If I can find the time, I may do what I can to help.

#14 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

Japanese ghosts and goblins are also something I can help with.

#15 Esalis

Esalis

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

Interesting, I have noticed a number of monsters sharing the names of youkai variants, the tengus as an example.
If I can find the time, I may do what I can to help.

Please do , i appreciate any help i can get! :D It saves me alot of time on researching >.<

Japanese ghosts and goblins are also something I can help with.

Gimme gimme Oda , share me your knowledge!
Do you know the origin of the Goblins? I would love to know about the Panzer Goblin

#16 Esalis

Esalis

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

I saw the movie.. it's interesting take on Chinese legendary animals, in that both white and green snakes have lived for nearly a 1000 years and have become spiritual and mythical beings with power to shape change into humans. Jet Li plays the monk ...

yeah i saw it too... have it on my DVR

You guys remember the tittle of the movie? Might want to watch it later...

#17 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

the Sorcerer and the White Snake

Edited by Facekiller, 12 March 2013 - 04:36 PM.

#18 Esalis

Esalis

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

Thanks alot Facekiller!! (^_^)b

#19 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

Zealotus then.

#20 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

Please do , i appreciate any help i can get! :D It saves me alot of time on researching >.<

Gimme gimme Oda , share me your knowledge!
Do you know the origin of the Goblins? I would love to know about the Panzer Goblin

Yokai: Japanese ghosts and goblins. There are many many local variants to be found in Japan.

Kappa (Kapha) Water sprite/monster, still blamed for drowning deaths in rural areas of Japan. A mischevious thing, their favorite game is to disguise themselves as small children and play "pull finger" with unwitting passerby. They then pull the victim underwater to be devoured. Their power is from having water in the saucer on top of their heads, if you can get them to return a polite bow, they will lose their power and be defeated.

Tengu: Known for long noses and red faces, they are known for being powerful but easily fooled, though tricky humans who do so may find themselves targets of Tengu vengeance.

Karakasa. A tsukumogam, this is one of many monsters in Japanese mythology that is birthed from the superstition that inanimate objects like Umbrellas, and paper lamps gain a spirit when they exist and are mistreated for over 100 years.

#21 Esalis

Esalis

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

Yokai: Japanese ghosts and goblins. There are many many local variants to be found in Japan.

Kappa (Kapha) Water sprite/monster, still blamed for drowning deaths in rural areas of Japan. A mischevious thing, their favorite game is to disguise themselves as small children and play "pull finger" with unwitting passerby. They then pull the victim underwater to be devoured. Their power is from having water in the saucer on top of their heads, if you can get them to return a polite bow, they will lose their power and be defeated.

Tengu: Known for long noses and red faces, they are known for being powerful but easily fooled, though tricky humans who do so may find themselves targets of Tengu vengeance.

Karakasa. A tsukumogam, this is one of many monsters in Japanese mythology that is birthed from the superstition that inanimate objects like Umbrellas, and paper lamps gain a spirit when they exist and are mistreated for over 100 years.

So in order to get a Karakasa , i just need to abuse a paper for a hundred years ? o_o

Edited by Esalis, 12 March 2013 - 05:52 PM.

#22 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

More like if you left an old umbrella or paper lantern unusued, unloved and exposed to the elements and it survived for 100 years it would gain a soul of sorts and come to life.

More like if you left an old umbrella or paper lantern unusued, unloved and exposed to the elements and it survived for 100 years it would gain a soul of sorts and come to life. This is a very good resource on Yokai monsters: http://www.obakemono...ke/tsukumogami/

#23 Esalis

Esalis

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

How interesting. I wish i can have a pet Karakasa. Well atleast they can beat of those weird strangers when im not looking.
Any info on panzer goblin?

#24 Javsy

Javsy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

Zealotus then.

TK's fetish - lots of BDSM

He loves it when someone cracks a whip. :rice:

OT - Succubus please :p_love:

Edited by Javsy, 12 March 2013 - 07:17 PM.

#25 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

At least in my mind, the goblins share a close kinship with the vaguely steampunk Orks from Warhammer 40k

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users