10 replies to this topic

#1 Nadesh

Nadesh

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • Playing:Requiem

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:16 AM

Why dont make dot debuff dmg affected by stats? It could work in a similar way than the HOT heals: (MND *0.3 + Property or Magic Attack) / 5. But instead of MND, it could change depending on the type of character, something like STR for melees, INT for mages, and DEX for ranged classes. And instead of Property or Magic Attack would be the main dmg source: long range, short range or magic attack (or property).

It could be something like:

(Main Damage Basic Ability *0.3 + Main Attack Power) / 5

Main Damage Basic Ability: int (mages), str (melee), dex (ranged)

Main Attack Power: property or magic attack (mages), short range physical attack power (melee), long range physical attack power (ranged)

This could be nice to have other kind of builds. Also, the base dot dmg of some skills should be reviewed to make this change, to dont make it too oped, and to keep the relation between the classes that have more dot debuff power and the ones that have less.

This also could fix the problem with the continuous dmg enchants.

#2 MakoXD

MakoXD

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7028 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:TERA

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:34 AM

hmm could be nice to increase the lower dmg dots

#3 Loyalty1

Loyalty1

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9069 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:♪ ♥ ♪

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:38 AM

DoTs aren't affected by resistance thought.

DoT someone up with your DoT that last almost 2 minutes *hint hint DNA* and watch him die without doing anything. ;o

#4 Nadesh

Nadesh

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4987 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:50 AM

Commanders have one of the higherst dots debuffs:

Moonlight slash have 102/2 at lvl 10. Lets make a Commander with 1000 str and 350 base dmg.

(1000 *0.3 + (350 + 102))/ 5 = 150.4

Now with the Tempest's Charged Bolt: 9/2 at lvl 1. Lets make a Tempest with 1000 int and 350 base dmg.

(1000 *0.3 + (350 + 9))/ 5 = 131.8

The main problem of this forumla is that the base dmg of the skill doesnt matter much. I think that the main problem would be that skills with low dots would deal almost the same dmg as the ones with high dots.

Must think a little more about it.

#5 Loyalty1

Loyalty1

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9069 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:54 AM

Lvl 1 Elec Twister with Lvl 10 duration DNA.

According to your formula, it would deal approximately 6.5k damage over 1m40. That's pretty... lol. :/

Imagine classes with no healing capabilities getting a single DoT.. ''aww man, I got that dot and no healers.. bb *dies*''

Edited by Loyalty1, 17 October 2010 - 06:56 AM.

#6 Lanka

Lanka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 543 posts
  • LocationUnder the rock

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:58 AM

Think of maxed Explosive Arrow with 2 new DNAs.. Only the DoT will deal 6300 damage. Glad they're making some of the DoTs deadly while keeping most of them weak as hell.. :/

#7 Loyalty1

Loyalty1

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9069 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:05 AM

Your basic idea of increasing DoT damages throught stats and damage is good. There simply need to be a different coefficient for each level of the skill~

Lvl 1 Elec Twister's DoT must be weaker than Lvl 2 Elec Twister's DoT; or else leveling the skill get more pointless since there's barely a difference in DoT damage.

As a Templar+/Shaman+/Soul Hunter+/Battle-Magician/Elementalist, your DoT damage should be increased by Int and Magic Damage.

As a Defender+/Warrior+/Rogue+/Hunter+/Druid, your DoT damage should be increased by Str or Dex and Physical Damage.

Lvl 1: (Main Damage Basic Ability *0.3 + Main Attack Power) / 10

Lvl 2: (Main Damage Basic Ability *0.3 + Main Attack Power) / 9.5

Lvl 10: (Main Damage Basic Ability *0.3 + Main Attack Power) / 5

Something like that I guess. *shrugs*

Edited by Loyalty1, 17 October 2010 - 07:10 AM.

#8 tally

tally

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1136 posts
  • LocationDisgruntled
  • Server:Velik - Vermillion

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:33 AM

DoTs are fine IMO. Just maybe make Continuous Damage xeons so they tick alone those ^ lines

#9 Nadesh

Nadesh

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4987 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:50 AM

Could be that too.

Now, if the dot was affected by defense/resistances then the dmg problem could be solved for the ones that have enough to give a good reduction. And the dmg difference problem could be fixed with a rise of the base dot dmg, as i said in the starting post.

The alternative could be move the dot base dmg outside, something like this:

Skill DoT Dmg + (Main Damage Basic Ability *0.3 + Main Attack Power) / 5

This way the examples would look like this:

Moonlight slash have 102/2 at lvl 10. Lets make a Commander with 1000 str and 350 base dmg.

102 + (1000 *0.3 + (350)/ 10 = 167

Now with the Tempest's Charged Bolt: 9/2 at lvl 1. Lets make a Tempest with 1000 int and 350 base dmg.

9 + (1000 *0.3 + (350)/ 10 = 74

Notice that in this case the skill with more dot dmg go up but the one with lower dmg go down by a lot.

Most dot skills that have an extention, have low dot dmg.

In any case, is all about to find the right number.

#10 CarpD

CarpD

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1109 posts
  • Server:Valdes

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:44 PM

1) Watch the person die from DoT.
- this is rare.
- and when it happens, it's usually cause the healer don't give a damn of their team mates and to busy healing someone they can get contribution off. ie. A shaman or prot standing and taking a beating.

2) DoT get too high.
- well then, put a cap on the max damage obtainable.
- so if the damage reaches a certain amount, it caps. And this is the results after resists.
-- So, cap is 500 damage, but resist brings it down to 250, so the caster of the DoT wants to put more power to bring it back up.
-- With that same cast of DoT, someone who has crap resistance still suffers a max amount of 500 DoT.

#11 sonemere

sonemere

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2350 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:36 PM

i would luv to see this done dot druid would be amazingly good. a curse sr would be good. to make the damages reflect the skills lvl just add a percentage of the amount added to the dot. a lvl 1 skill would have the base damage over time + x% of the heal over time formula additional damage. u could start out at 55% of the h.o.t. formula ...till u get to lvl 10 which is 100% additional damage added to the dot...of course this would have to be tested but i can say a full water curse druid would be awesome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users