20 replies to this topic

#1 RogueEllr

RogueEllr

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

I heard that Thief doesn't have a steal skill, as is the nature of thieves, so I heard it would be renamed in the NA version. I think Scout was the most popular assumption for the rename.

#2 synesthetic

synesthetic

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

I haven't heard anything about a planned renaming. Do you happen to have a source you can link to for this? At most, I see a thread elsewhere by someone complaining that a Thief should be able to steal, and in there someone suggested Scout as a better fit. But nothing remotely official.
I really doubt they'd rename it since Thief->Assassin/Rogue was how it was in RO1.

And just because Thief can't steal doesn't mean it can't be named a Thief as a class. Thieves are known for hiding and being underhanded, and words/names change over time with colloquial usage. Plagiarism used to be about kidnapping; now it's just about copying someone else's writing and presenting it as your own.

#3 Kajing

Kajing

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:29 PM

I haven't heard anything about a planned renaming. Do you happen to have a source you can link to for this? At most, I see a thread elsewhere by someone complaining that a Thief should be able to steal, and in there someone suggested Scout as a better fit. But nothing remotely official.
I really doubt they'd rename it since Thief->Assassin/Rogue was how it was in RO1.

And just because Thief can't steal doesn't mean it can't be named a Thief as a class. Thieves are known for hiding and being underhanded, and words/names change over time with colloquial usage. Plagiarism used to be about kidnapping; now it's just about copying someone else's writing and presenting it as your own.

Couldn't agree more.
Also, in this game there's a lot of background history that involves your class choices, I'll not make any spoillers or anything but if you mind the "role play" then thief, assassin and rogue live up to their classes names.
Also, im my opinion, the class name have to do with battle style.

#4 LastExile613

LastExile613

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

They've had it for a decade, I don't see the point of changing it now

#5 SinWeasel

SinWeasel

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV
  • Server:iRO2 - Odin

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

There would be no point in changing there name cuz they lack one skill that they had in RO1 that no one really used in the first place. There are many MMORPGs out there with a Thief class that doesn't have steal for a skill what makes the Thief class is the ability to HIDE.

#6 RogueEllr

RogueEllr

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

I just heard about it around some chats, so I guess it really was just a rumor.

I'm hoping improvements can actually be made by the NA version, instead of just following whatever the other servers do.

#7 zr0rieu

zr0rieu

Universal Translator

• Members
  • 3475 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

Chances are actually quite high that iRO2 will be following kRO2 in terms of skill balances and contents.

#8 SinWeasel

SinWeasel

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV
  • Server:iRO2 - Odin

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

Chances are actually quite high that iRO2 will be following kRO2 in terms of skill balances and contents.

I agree that is what they did with iRO1 just took for ever to catch up to kRO1 lol I remember iRO was so far behind kRO when iRO where implementing 2-2 classes kRO was implementing 3-1 and 3-2 classes, but iRO was still the same as kRO with terms of skill balances and content.

#9 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:33 PM

It's already been advertised as Thief on the Facebook page. Why would they rename it at the last second?

#10 D111

D111

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4543 posts
  • LocationOrlando
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

Oh hello ZeroTigress <3

#11 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

Hey D, what's up?

#12 ItsFaulkenOMG

ItsFaulkenOMG

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • LocationNew World

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:21 AM

Oh hello ZeroTigress <3

Hey D, what's up?

OffT, you two.

OT:
Maybe Thieves are better off with steal skill. :/ I miss the old times where thiefs can steal from poor Porings and Poporings can steal your loots and you kill them with revenge. XD

#13 KIyde

KIyde

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Server:RO II - Odin

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

They can just replace Cross Impact for Steal, not like anyone uses it anyways.

Edited by KIyde, 15 April 2013 - 05:12 AM.

#14 D111

D111

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4543 posts
  • LocationOrlando
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

Hey D, what's up?

Just happy to see you on here.

#15 Nitro

Nitro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1325 posts
  • Server:Nothing

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

They can just replace Cross Impact for Steal, not like anyone uses it anyways.

Yes, a skill that does 2% more damage than Double Attack yet has 8x the cooldown. What is this? I don't even! LOL!

#16 flysteps

flysteps

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
  • Playing:Dragon Saga

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

You are a thief, you should steal. :p_devil:

#17 Nitro

Nitro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1325 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:18 AM

I heard that Thief doesn't have a steal skill, as is the nature of thieves, so I heard it would be renamed in the NA version. I think Scout was the most popular assumption for the rename.

I don't think we need a Steal skill. You can cloak and ninja items while hiding, and complete quests while hiding without the mobs ever being able to touch you. I think that is a ... steal in itself, when others have to fight while we are looting and scooting at will, even when boss monsters are right on top of the loot. :)

#18 flysteps

flysteps

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
  • Playing:Dragon Saga

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

Literally, Thief class still can steal.
Use Theif, take Artisan/Chef profession.
Hide, wait for others to kill mobs, steal the skin. Loot/skin/potting/food/sit will not break the hide.
Well, much better if that person happened to have same profession. Suddenly the corpse is gone.

#19 Velouce

Velouce

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

I don't even remember how stealing in RO1 worked exactly because it was so enormously useless back then (maybe they changed it, last time I played RO was like 10years ago). I guess that's why they removed the skill. On the other hand, why would they implement stuff like cross impact instead? I think they got the idea of stealing completely wrong. It could be fun and useful at the same time, if you were able to steal rare and useful stuff from bosses, with a penalty (like it sucks up 5 combo points and has a long cd). I'd gladly sacrifice 5 points for a stealing skill if it's more than a useless skill added to fit "thief role".

#20 Nitro

Nitro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1325 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

How stealing in RO1 worked back in the day? Thieves had a 0% chance to steal, while Hunters, WIzards and Priests with dex went around stealing from rare monsters every spawn and having kafra storage full of rare hats. LOL.

#21 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

I don't even remember how stealing in RO1 worked exactly because it was so enormously useless back then (maybe they changed it, last time I played RO was like 10years ago). I guess that's why they removed the skill. On the other hand, why would they implement stuff like cross impact instead? I think they got the idea of stealing completely wrong. It could be fun and useful at the same time, if you were able to steal rare and useful stuff from bosses, with a penalty (like it sucks up 5 combo points and has a long cd). I'd gladly sacrifice 5 points for a stealing skill if it's more than a useless skill added to fit "thief role".

Don't know how it was back then, but I maxed out Steal on my RO Thief and right now she's getting double drops thanks to that skill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users