RO2: Gate of the World music - Ragnarok 2 Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

RO2: Gate of the World music

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 synesthetic

synesthetic

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 557 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

I've heard enough mention of people liking the music from GotW here, so I may as well repost it here. I was going to do it later, but with the soundtrack event, I may as well do it now. Maybe they'll allow modifications of these other tracks.
(edit: Njoror reposted the soundtrack event in a new thread? And now their tracks at soundcloud include the whole official OST. Note that even though some of the names are different, all of these tracks are packaged with my files.)

Most of the music from GotW did not make it into LotS because the developers felt that they didn't fit the style of the game anymore. Yoko Kanno is a wonderful composer, however, and I feel it would be a shame for many of these tracks to be lost with GotW's termination. It's only been a couple of years and it's already extremely difficult to find a complete collection.

There was a total of 93 tracks included in the game files during various stages of development, encoded in OGG format. I ripped 86 of them from the game client of a _, and received the last 7 from a friend who happened to pick up a collection of tracks (by ykfan) from when the game was still in closed beta, which had several tracks that were removed by open beta.

Part 1 (179 MB)
Part 2 (168 MB)
Part 3 (166 MB)
All files are in MP3 (VBR -V0) format.

I'll upload the original OGGs later if someone asks for it. I'm missing seven though.

I don't know if those mediafire files will expire or be removed eventually.
Mirror
Mirror (requires Firefox or Chrome browsers, I think)

Edited by Oda, 25 May 2013 - 10:35 AM.

#2 Tsujiko

Tsujiko

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:waiting for Ro2 launch

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:36 PM

thanks for sharing ^-^ (although I alredy dowloaded them on Sea-forum)

The Gotw soundtrack is really better as the lots, sad thing they just kept a few tracks in lots...

#3 Sacriel

Sacriel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Classic

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:49 AM

Most of the music from GotW did not make it into LotS because the developers felt that they didn't fit the style of the game anymore. Yoko Kanno is a wonderful composer, however, and I feel it would be a shame for many of these tracks to be lost with GotW's termination. It's only been a couple of years and it's already extremely difficult to find a complete collection.

That's what I don't understand. The music plays a huge part in the overall feel and mood of a game. Why substitute an obviously superior fantasy soundtrack that is truer to the Ragnarok theme for a generic F2P Fantasy MMO soundtrack? I even wonder about the fact that GravityUSA is having this event with that music they posted, could this perhaps mean they will actually put in some GotW songs into the game? Otherwise, I don't understand the point in them posting about it being the RO2 soundtrack and not specifying that it's the GotW OST and won't be used at all in the game(with the obvious exception of dat wonderful Intro).

#4 synesthetic

synesthetic

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:02 AM

There are a few songs in the music folder (for seaRO2, at least) that are from GotW. Generally lower quality or slightly altered.

Abandoned Laboratory - Arpia_Full
Alberta City ---------------- AverroReinhold
Armin Grassland --------- Misha
Armin Pass ---------------- Sara
Blessing Road ------------ Hodo_inst
Breeze Island ------------- Afternoon_normal
DinDonDanDan ---------- DinDonDanDannoFO
Intro Theme -------------- introTheme
Kafra_Fly_ClapWalk ---- ClapWalk
Prontera Castle --------- VolkerStandwood
Prontera South ---------- PronteraField
Prontera Theme --------- KingsJoy (+ sound effects)
Temple of Sea God_01 - Boss_Battle_karaoke

Take The Fortress-------- 5years war Syn DB

(edit: iRO2's music folder has more than seaRO2's. One more track added to the end of this list.)

No idea where some of them are used. Like "Temple of Sea God_01" was used in the Drake fight, not in Temple of Sea God.

But overall, I can see where they're coming from in deciding to not use the whole soundtrack. Listening to the GotW tracks, I get this impression that the game must have been more somber and maybe surreal, even though everyone looked bigheaded and chibi.

In contrast, playing LotS feels brighter and more fast-paced. I think the tracks they chose to use fit well enough, except for the really quiet, ambient ones. I want music in my music, not chirping birds and 2 minutes of silence. But overall, I wish they could've picked some songs that both fit and had more impact.

Edited by synesthetic, 23 April 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#5 Sacriel

Sacriel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:20 AM

There are a few songs in the music folder (for seaRO2, at least) that are from GotW. Generally lower quality or slightly altered.

Abandoned Laboratory - Arpia_Full
Armin Grassland --------- Misha
Armin Pass ---------------- Sara
Blessing Road ------------ Hodo_inst
Breeze Island ------------- Afternoon_normal
DinDonDanDan ---------- DinDonDanDannoFO
Intro Theme -------------- introTheme
Kafra_Fly_ClapWalk ---- ClapWalk
Prontera Castle --------- VolkerStandwood
Prontera South ---------- PronteraField
Prontera Theme --------- KingsJoy (+ sound effects)
Temple of Sea God_01 - Boss_Battle_karaoke

No idea where some of them are used. Like "Temple of Sea God_01" was used in the Drake fight, not in Temple of Sea God.

But overall, I can see where they're coming from in deciding to not use the whole soundtrack. Listening to the GotW tracks, I get this impression that the game must have been more somber and maybe surreal, even though everyone looked bigheaded and chibi.

In contrast, playing LotS feels brighter and more fast-paced. I think the tracks they chose to use fit well enough, except for the really quiet, ambient ones. I want music in my music, not chirping birds and 2 minutes of silence. But overall, I wish they could've picked some songs that both fit and had more impact.

Interesting, some of them must be heavily altered, especially Prontera Field. And with that list, I'm noticing an obvious difference in music placement in comparison to kRO2. Perhaps this could mean we're going to get some special BGM treatment by WP? Even though it is the difference between a publishing company and a subsidiary of Gravity, I can't help but hope for more Yoko Kanno in this release.

#6 Tsvai

Tsvai

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

Thanks a lot for the download links! I downloaded them and had a quick look to see if I really have the 'full set' (for a long time - a few years, even - I only had about half of the soundtrack), and there don't seem to be any that I'm missing, so that's good to know.

#7 kwiqsilvr

kwiqsilvr

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

Interesting, I must have a very old archive, since it only includes 53 tracks. Odd though, they are in .mp3 format.

#8 synesthetic

synesthetic

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

Thanks a lot for the download links! I downloaded them and had a quick look to see if I really have the 'full set' (for a long time - a few years, even - I only had about half of the soundtrack), and there don't seem to be any that I'm missing, so that's good to know.

If the "full" collection you downloaded before was from Paineity on YouTube (VGM Domain), then he's actually missing a couple of tracks and has a couple of repeats, making his total number of tracks still 93.
If I recall, specifically, he treated Pub and Sakaba (and their instrumental versions) as being different tracks, even though they're the same. And then he's missing one of the Numachi songs and one of the Quiet Place ones. Something like that.

Interesting, I must have a very old archive, since it only includes 53 tracks. Odd though, they are in .mp3 format.

You probably have the ykfan collection then, which I believe was made during GotW's closed beta.
After that point, several tracks were removed, and many more tracks were added in.

I absolutely could not find the CB-only tracks online on my own, so I lucked out when a friend of mine just happened to have downloaded that ykfan collection on a whim a few years back. Even more lucky to find that they also seem to be in MP3 VBR -V0 format as well.

Edited by synesthetic, 22 April 2013 - 06:34 PM.

#9 Ethasi

Ethasi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
  • Server:Odin

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

Thank you very much for providing the download links for this music. Yoko Kanno is amazing, so it would be a shame if these were to just disappear because of a game's failure.

#10 kwiqsilvr

kwiqsilvr

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

If the "full" collection you downloaded before was from Paineity on YouTube (VGM Domain), then he's actually missing a couple of tracks and has a couple of repeats, making his total number of tracks still 93.
If I recall, specifically, he treated Pub and Sakaba (and their instrumental versions) as being different tracks, even though they're the same. And then he's missing one of the Numachi songs and one of the Quiet Place ones. Something like that.

You probably have the ykfan collection then, which I believe was made during GotW's closed beta.
After that point, several tracks were removed, and many more tracks were added in.

I absolutely could not find the CB-only tracks online on my own, so I lucked out when a friend of mine just happened to have downloaded that ykfan collection on a whim a few years back. Even more lucky to find that they also seem to be in MP3 VBR -V0 format as well.

Yup, you're correct, it is the ykfan collection.

#11 Tsvai

Tsvai

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

I can't recall precisely where I downloaded mine from - when I have access to my old desktop again (where I originally have the songs stored) I'll have to compare more carefully, but checking through the soundtrack and listening from memory, I don't hear anything I don't recognize. I used to have about half of the soundtrack, and then downloaded a more complete version (possibly the one you mentioned) and added the ones from that that I didn't have yet to my set. I do remember there being a few repeats that I tossed out.

#12 KIyde

KIyde

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Server:RO II - Odin

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:31 AM

As you mentioned, this compilation is missing:

15. Church
29. Pub
30. Pub (instrumental)

It does have 93 tracks, but there are 3 repeats:

Quiet Place
Din Don Dan Dan
Koukai

This is what the playlist actually looks like (taken from my iTunes):

*removed, fixed information.

Edited by KIyde, 23 April 2013 - 11:45 AM.

#13 Furin

Furin

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

Awesome, thanks for the upload!

#14 kwiqsilvr

kwiqsilvr

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

15. Church
29. Pub
30. Pub (instrumental)

Quiet Place
Din Don Dan Dan
Koukai

Posted Image

Is Koukai the same as Kyoukai? I could have swore my archive had both versions (I'll have to check later).

#15 inuko23

inuko23

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1182 posts
  • Server:Chaos, Odin (RO2)

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

Koukai and Kyoukai are different songs (just listened to them right now)

#16 synesthetic

synesthetic

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

15. Church
29. Pub
30. Pub (instrumental)

Quiet Place
Din Don Dan Dan
Koukai

That compact list makes it a lot easier for me to point things out.

Pub (29) and Sakaba (58) are the same.
Pub (Instrumental) (30) and Sakaba (Instrumental) (59) are the same.
Church (25) and Kyoukai (84) are the same.

His Numachi (55) would be Numachi (nonMonster).
His Numachi (88) would be Numachi. So I was wrong about him missing either of these.

He's missing QuietPlace (No Sound Effects), DinDonDanDan (FadeOut), and Koukai (FadeOut). Which I guess is okay. But they are different tracks from the game.

There was an official OST with a handful of tracks released years ago, and then rereleased a year after that. The soundtrack event's listing is probably from it. In case there's any confusion based on those names:
- Sailing is Koukai
- The Force Midgarts is MidogarutsuRengougun
- Church is Kyoukai
- Swamper is Sinkai Numachi
- Pub is Sakaba

Edited by synesthetic, 28 April 2013 - 12:42 AM.

#17 KIyde

KIyde

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

That compact list makes it a lot easier for me to point things out.

Pub (29) and Sakaba (58) are the same.
Pub (Instrumental) (30) and Sakaba (Instrumental) (59) are the same.
Church (25) and Kyoukai (84) are the same.

His Numachi (55) would be Numachi (nonMonster).
His Numachi (88) would be Numachi. So I was wrong about him missing either of these.

He's missing QuietPlace (No Sound Effects), DinDonDanDan (FadeOut), and Koukai (FadeOut). Which I guess is okay. But they are different tracks from the game.

There was an official OST with a handful of tracks released years ago, and then rereleased a year after that. The soundtrack event's listing is probably from it. In case there's any confusion based
on those names:
- Sailing is Koukai
- The Force Midgarts is MidogarutsuRengougun
- Church is Kyoukai
- Swamper is Sinkai
- Pub is Sakaba

Thank you for pointing that out, I didn't notice those differences... Makes sense why I thought I heard Pub more often than others >.> According to what you pointed out, this should be the fixed Playlist:

Posted Image

#18 synesthetic

synesthetic

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

Kind of nice. The tracks in the iRO2 music folder are overall 'better' than the ones in seaRO2. The volume is more consistent where Sea had a lot of weird quiet tracks. And ho' yes, they removed the stupid chirping birds from Alberta! Now, to my surprise, I can hear that it's actually a track from GotW.
I'll have to relisten to everything some time.

Thank you for pointing that out, I didn't notice those differences... Makes sense why I thought I heard Pub more often than others >.> According to what you pointed out, this should be the fixed Playlist:

At a glance, it seems right to me.

Paineity's YT playlist is serviceable then, since it has all of the tracks that matter.
But if you compare the downloads between his videos or VGM Domain, and what I put together, then there's some noticeable difference in fidelity. So if you're picky like me and have the space for it, get my files.

The only thing I wish I could do for my files is to completely tag them, with vocalist information and everything. But the only information on performers comes from that OST's sleeve/booklet, and I read it doesn't say exactly who did what for each song.

#19 KIyde

KIyde

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

Kind of nice. The tracks in the iRO2 music folder are overall 'better' than the ones in seaRO2. The volume is more consistent where Sea had a lot of weird quiet tracks. And ho' yes, they removed the stupid chirping birds from Alberta! Now, to my surprise, I can hear that it's actually a track from GotW.
I'll have to relisten to everything some time.

At a glance, it seems right to me.

Paineity's YT playlist is serviceable then, since it has all of the tracks that matter.
But if you compare the downloads between his videos or VGM Domain, and what I put together, then there's some noticeable difference in fidelity. So if you're picky like me and have the space for it, get my files.

The only thing I wish I could do for my files is to completely tag them, with vocalist information and everything. But the only information on performers comes from that OST's sleeve/booklet, and I read it doesn't say exactly who did what for each song.

Alberta's track is Averro Reinhold but... editted weird where it had like, 3 minutes of silence lol. Also, I'm not sure if it's just me but the BGM sounds a lot lower than for example, the SFX. I had my options at 10 BGM and 2 SFX and they were still competing with each other.

On another note about quietness, does it get silent for you when you enter the Auction House section in Prontera? Not sure if its maybe missing a track or what.

#20 synesthetic

synesthetic

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

On another note about quietness, does it get silent for you when you enter the Auction House section in Prontera? Not sure if its maybe missing a track or what.

Yeah, it does. Same with another random building nearby and the knightage where Zeras is. It's definitely an indoors vs. outdoors thing, but who knows if they intend to map a track to those locations.
I think they only mapped music to the church and the castle.

#21 Furin

Furin

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

Might wanna post that in the bug section. If there's no extra track for those locations they should remove the trigger, really awkward otherwise...

#22 Sacriel

Sacriel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

Playing RO2 across the versions feels like an endless alpha test because the same basic unfinished things don't get fixed and are carried over to the next version lol.

#23 Rozelle

Rozelle

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 308 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

The only thing I'm especially sad about with the new RO2 is that the beautiful music from Gate of the World is more or less abandoned. ;n;

Thank you for the downloads!

#24 KainHyrial

KainHyrial

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • Server:Odin

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

Yeah, that music is pretty epic. Listened to all of them multiple times.

#25 veregna

veregna

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

Ahh, thanks to synesthetic for this! I've been trying to get the ykfan archive for ages (the only rip I could remember there being of GotW), but it seems like it's not readily available on the internet any more. :(

Swamper is Sinkai

Ah, I just want to mention that Swamper is actually Numachi! ('numachi' (沼地) means 'swamplands' in Japanese, if that helps)

Sinkai (shinkai; 深海) means 'deep sea'. I think I would have preferred this for the Temple of the Sea God, haha. ;v;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users