42 replies to this topic

#1 FoxHowl

FoxHowl

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

Hey guys,

Im not sure if somebody has suggested this, but do you think adding a day and night system would give RO a little more atmosphere? :)

It could rotate every hour, Day for 1 hour and Night for an hour?

Daytime would look like South protera sunny, and Night would look like comodo?

If you like this, please leave a comment! :)

#2 stoenr

stoenr

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 789 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Ymir + Loki

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

yea and uhm tell them to code this game in C++ cuz i heard visual basic sux0rz.

jk.

#3 PearI

PearI

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

Nice suggestion, but frankly they need to get the bugs worked out first before doing cosmetic work on the game heh.

#4 Senkasa

Senkasa

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3467 posts
  • LocationWaterloo, IA
  • Server:Chaos, Classic

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

Nice suggestion, but frankly they need to get the bugs worked out first before doing cosmetic work on the game heh.

I would think this includes costumes and new hats, just saying.

#5 PearI

PearI

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

Not to mention the nerfs heh. Amazing how they have the time to do all that and not attend to the core issues of the game.

#6 ShiveringShadows

ShiveringShadows

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 853 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

You sound like a cliché. Adding new costumes and hats doesn't involve any programming work.

#7 Jaffer

Jaffer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1349 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

Hey guys,

Im not sure if somebody has suggested this, but do you think adding a day and night system would give RO a little more atmosphere? :)

It could rotate every hour, Day for 1 hour and Night for an hour?

Daytime would look like South protera sunny, and Night would look like comodo?

If you like this, please leave a comment! :)

There's a brightness button on your monitor that could achieve the same effect.

A day/night cycle would be pointless unless there was some reason for it. So if they could add a day/night cycle for the section of The Sign quest that requires you to show up at a specific time, that would be interesting, but otherwise randomly changing the lighting in the game doesn't really... do much.

#8 Pres

Pres

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1427 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

do you know how much lag that would cause?

#9 Alaska

Alaska

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 4817 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

I would actually really love this, although I'm actually one of the few people who loves the snow thing in December. There could always be an option to turn it off.

Edited by Alaska, 28 April 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#10 zefram

zefram

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1262 posts
  • Server:valkyre

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

I'd love such thing too.To be honest i was expecting this when i first started playing.Its a different story that it'll never happen though..most likely.

#11 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

You sound like a cliché. Adding new costumes and hats doesn't involve any programming work.

It does require programming knowledge for what's already there if the hats/costumes have effects.

There were some hats known to bug out some skills to the point they became broken OP if you did certain things with those hats with effects. It is no joke if someone started doing over 50k High Heals. I'm not joking about the 50k High Heals by the way. It could have been much higher.

Edited by GuardianTK, 28 April 2013 - 11:19 AM.

#12 Senkasa

Senkasa

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3467 posts
  • LocationWaterloo, IA
  • Server:Chaos, Classic

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

It does require programming knowledge for what's already there if the hats/costumes have effects.

There were some hats known to bug out some skills to the point they became broken OP if you did certain things with those hats with effects. It is no joke if someone started doing over 50k High Heals. I'm not joking about the 50k High Heals by the way. It could have been much higher.

If you mean the whole Unequip/Re-Equip gear stacking thing, yeah it's been known to happen quite often with new gears until it gets patched with emergency maintenances or just a regular maint depending on the severity. :p_swt:

#13 Kadnya

Kadnya

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

I really really doubt that adding a night/day cosmetic effect would cause any lag at all: our clients already ask the servers about time for things like quests. A one time asking the server "what time is it" at login (and then let the client side perform whatever animations and day/night cycles) will not kill any performance.

We already have something visually similar: the soul link visual effect. Changing a bit the color of soul link and make the client apply it every X times shouldn't be that hard... but then, it is RO and gravity, and something as innoffensive as a timed visual effect can be a huge challenge...

#14 darkdito1884

darkdito1884

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • LocationAllentown,PA
  • Server:Chaos,Thor

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

what about different monsters coming out during night/daytime hours zombies popping up in payon forest or something.. or at night payon cave doubles the monster spawns in the cave. kinda like pokemon lol

#15 EtNox

EtNox

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • Server:euRo -> fRo -> Classic

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

There where some ideas like this (weather for atmosphere and stuff like that) back in ragnarok's alpha. But those ideas have been dropped quickly...guess somewhere you can still find some screenshots from back then with rain in payon forest etc.

But this idea has been dropped for 10 years+ now...don't think they'll still consider that to be interesting with tons of bugs/missing features etc/lags around.

#16 zefram

zefram

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1262 posts
  • Server:valkyre

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

omg, rain effect! That sounds awesome .. Actually that made me recall rain effects from diablo2..Wow miss it so much.
As improbable as it is, i think they need to give a thought, i mean how long will people play RO as it is now, when only customization is cute headgears.I'd love to see this game evolve and revolve and actually manage it over next years.

#17 ShiveringShadows

ShiveringShadows

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

No, A simple scripting language is used for item effect/trigger conditions. You don't need programming knowledge to add these things.

#18 strafe247

strafe247

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie / Ymir

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

I like the idea of the day and night plus the weather system (I'm tired of snow effect every Christmas). However, just like any other major suggestion, I doubt they'll ever do that. If they do, maybe after half a decade or so since kRO is not friendly when it comes to approvals and timely updates.

#19 millea

millea

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:30 AM

That'd be a nice thing to have; a nice, subtle change to freshen up the long hours of grinding a bit. I'm no scripter, but it doesn't seem like it'd be too hard to implement, no? Even some pservers have boasted about having a similar feature.

#20 Aratiina

Aratiina

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

The night effect could look like the Soul Link, I just love that effect XD.

But making it every hour, might be too often, like every 3h maybe....

#21 ilovemilk

ilovemilk

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3452 posts
  • LocationMilky Way
  • Server:Offline

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:21 AM

More lag? No thanks.

#22 Forzando

Forzando

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 249 posts
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

It would be neat if it added gameplay elements, like as been said with zombies or changed spawns depending on the time. However, I really wonder how they would implement something like that. It can't be a simple dim effect or transparent colored or opaque screen (like the soul link or blind effect). Map objects like buildings and trees cast a shadow dependant on a fixed lightsource somewhere on top of the map I think. As a matter of fact you can sort of turn off that light with the /lightmap command (in some maps it looks kinda funny), although it doesn't remove light altogether as even without the /lightmap things are very visible. To have a realistic day/night cycle you'd have to move that light source in real time to make the shadows move.

And someone mentioned weather effect, that's also neat and kinda possible already, like with the snow. With rain they'd just have to make faster projectiles shaped like tiny lines or something. They could even play with the fog effects, and make super thick fog randomly (some maps already have a thick fog like some Geffen maps, when you remove the fog effect with /fog everything becomes so very clear).

#23 duckmanneo

duckmanneo

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 580 posts
  • LocationIn a van down by the river.
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

I wound't like night time. I can sometimes barely see items dropped on the floor in the daytime, and I can't imagine how horrible it will be at night.  I'm leaning to NOPE on night time.

#24 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

Don't think that'll be an issue.

RO_DayNightCycle.gif

#25 SephySama

SephySama