Disconnected due to time gap - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Disconnected due to time gap

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 KriticalAssassin

KriticalAssassin

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9325 posts
  • LocationBehind you?
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos- Renewal

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

I keep getting logged out from an error saying "disconnected due to time gap error" Any clue how to fix this? It just pops up every now and then while playing.

#2 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

Either your internet connection is crapping out, or there's a network problem somewhere between your ISP and gravity. You'll notice that they start as a lagspike - they're just a lag-spike that goes on too long.

My typical response when I've gotten timegaps is to try to gather information on where the problem is - but this is tricky, because you need to do this test while you're in the lagspike, before you actually get the time-gap DC (because it often shows up immediately after connectivity is restored - and at that point everything's working fine again).

Open a command prompt window, and enter

tracert -d www.playragnarok.com

But don't press enter. Then start playing RO. The instant the lagspike starts, alt+tab over to the command window and hit enter.

Hopefully you'll be able to see where along the route it's failing, before the connection recovers.

If it's in NTT's network, send the trace to gravity, so they can complain to NTT.

If it's your ISP you can complain to them, but they will ignore you or give you useless advice, because consumer ISP's don't give a damn about people who demand stable connectivity - the money is in the mass market that just wants to check facebook, watch netflix, and download dirty videos.

If it's the first (or possibly second) hop, it's your router (or possibly modem) or your wifi, and you should fix that.

If you don't know how to read the tracerts, copy/paste them into here (to copy text out of command window, right-click -> mark, select it with the mouse, and hit enter to copy. Paste normally) and I'll tell you where the problem is (if you managed to catch it in that trace)

#3 KriticalAssassin

KriticalAssassin

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9325 posts
  • LocationBehind you?

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

That's odd. I haven't even experienced any lag during these time gap errors and the connection on my computer has been steady. Did a tracert and the last 5 hops are where it seems to be. 2 of which are warpportal and gravity. 3 are ntt. I guess I have to send tracert in a ticket. Bleh. Or maybe see if it doesn't come again before wasting my time with that.

#4 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

Can you post the tracerts you have gotten that implicate ntt?

#5 KriticalAssassin

KriticalAssassin

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9325 posts
  • LocationBehind you?

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

10	18 ms	18 ms	19 ms  ae-2.r23.nycmny01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.4.148]
11	21 ms	20 ms	29 ms  ae-5.r20.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.183]
12	91 ms   107 ms	89 ms  ae-2.r21.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.3.55]
13   101 ms	91 ms	98 ms  ae-2.r05.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.5.86]
14	97 ms	93 ms	98 ms  xe-0-0-0-15.r05.lsanca03.us.ce.gin.ntt.net [198.172.90.170]
15   100 ms	91 ms   104 ms  portal.demarcation.gravityus.com [204.2.170.50]
16   101 ms	98 ms	98 ms  www.playragnarok.com [128.241.93.60]

It can't be caused by lag spikes that go on for too long. It happens in the middle of chats and stuff even.

Edited by KriticalAssassin, 04 May 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#6 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

That trace is clean - unless there are timeouts in the first half of it which you for some reason didn't post.

Wait, so, you're getting time gap errors that AREN'T preceeded by a sudden halt in game action ("lag spike")?

Edited by DrAzzy, 04 May 2013 - 12:34 PM.

#7 KriticalAssassin

KriticalAssassin

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9325 posts
  • LocationBehind you?

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

No. The game runs absolutely fine. Then an error suddenly pops up. I don't even get a single second of lag before it. A few times I have just been in the middle of conversation and I see my messages sending and receiving messages. There's no other problems other than disconnection.

#8 KriticalAssassin

KriticalAssassin

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9325 posts
  • LocationBehind you?

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

I'm still getting this error. Really hard to play. Was in TI's on my Ranger and suddenly errors pop up while I'm rounding up my mob. 12 days and no response to my ticket. Anyone else have a clue how to fix it?

#9 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

That's bizzare - I don't know how you're getting a time-gap without lag before it; I've never seen that behavior before.

#10 Beata

Beata

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1493 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

Do your gap errors appear at fixed intervals? Like time gap every 30 minutes.

#11 KriticalAssassin

KriticalAssassin

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9325 posts
  • LocationBehind you?

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

No. One day I went a whole afternoon without a single error. Then some days I get 7 in 30 minutes. I can't think of anything to cause it. It will happen if I go afk vending or while I'm in the middle of battles. So it isn't during specific events or anything like that.

#12 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

Are you on wireless? Does the problem happen when you use a wired connection? (this is good test for unexplained and seemingly random connection issues, particularly where evidence does not point to a server or routing issue)

#13 KriticalAssassin

KriticalAssassin

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9325 posts
  • LocationBehind you?

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

No, I am on a wired connection. I had problems before with using wireless and other devices interfering with signal so I stick to wired connection now.

#14 Beata

Beata

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1493 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

AFAIK, time gap errors occur if game packets between you <> servers are out of sync or sent/received at wrong moments. Mostly happen due to wrong time/zone settings on device or connection problems (packet loss).

For now, check if your PC clock is accurate: http://time.is/ or Atomic Clock tool.

Are you behind a router? If yes, try to connect directly to the internet without the router. Have you tried yet on other computers/laptops? Need to find out if its device or connection related first.

#15 KriticalAssassin

KriticalAssassin

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9325 posts
  • LocationBehind you?

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

I'm 13 seconds ahead on my computer. Lol. You think that may be the problem? Or does 13 seconds not matter?

#16 Beata

Beata

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1493 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

Don't think it matters unless its a couple minutes off.

My friend had time gap errors at fixed intervals (sometimes at random times) without any sort of lag prior the error. The error simply pop up without a warning. We did enormous amount of troubleshooting to eliminate the causes. Here what we did:

1- Checked PC clock/time zone (must be accurate and well synced). We used atomic clock tool to auto sync the clock.
2- Tried direct connection to the internet without the router.
3- Checked Ethernet card power management setting (Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power must be unchecked).
4- Had a tech visit from ISP to check internet cable for noise and packet loss (found no problem).
5- Made sure all device drivers are updated including the OS.
6- Ran a couple virus/trojan scans using multiple scanners for better accuracy (of course one a time).
7- Checked for any program running in the background that may interfere with the game.

Sadly we weren't able to fix the gap error. The only fix was installing a new OS (from windows xp to windows 7) on the same device which mysteriously fixed the gap errors... go figure.

#17 KriticalAssassin

KriticalAssassin

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9325 posts
  • LocationBehind you?

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

So sounds like there isn't really a direct fix it solution. Too much work to try and get it to work x-x

#18 KriticalAssassin

KriticalAssassin

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9325 posts
  • LocationBehind you?

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

Okay. So yesterday my time when I check it was 13 seconds ahead. now I am at 5 minutes and 12 seconds behind. I think when the computer restarts it may have something screwing with my time causing these errors. Maybe a solution is not far away. Actually, now everytime I check it, it's getting even further form the right time. weird... Now I need to figure out how to fix this and hope that is actually the cause of the problem..

Edited by KriticalAssassin, 22 May 2013 - 04:45 PM.

#19 KriticalAssassin

KriticalAssassin

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9325 posts
  • LocationBehind you?

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

Huzzah. Finally fixed this problem. Some reason my computer was falling behind on time but it's back and working now. Thanks for the help.

#20 Beata

Beata

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1493 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:38 AM

Good to hear. What was the fix? No more gap time?

#21 KriticalAssassin

KriticalAssassin

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9325 posts
  • LocationBehind you?

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:34 AM

I had 2 monitors. When only one has everything running on it the time would stay correct. However if I started an application on the other monitor it caused the clock to fall behind by about 1 second for every 20 seconds that passed. After a while it was building up to too much of a time gap. I'm not sure why exactly that one monitor was causing the problem though. It had worked for a while before that.

#22 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

That's twilight zone -_- right there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users