1 reply to this topic

#1 Cleffy

Cleffy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2377 posts
  • Playing:Requiem

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:32 PM

My idea is to remove classes and instead create a skill web. It is composed of several elements. First is the difference on how skills are leveled and obtained. Second is the opening of skill paths. Third is the closing of opposing skill paths. Fourth is the new method for defining classes.

My idea for skills varies from the current method. Every level you gain a skill point that you can allocate into a skill, but skills no longer have levels. Instead they have proficiency levels so you would end up leveling skills by using them more often. This will result in the player having access to more skills. My solution to this is to offer a more universal across all levels method for skill utilization. Instead of skills doing fixed values, they instead amplify an attack or stat. For instance Power Attack amplifies the attack by 10% instead of a fixed value. Its then balanced with a low MP cost and cooldown.

To open up skills you first must meet the requirement to have access to the skill. This might require the player to do a quest to gain access, or to get a certain amount of proficiency with several skills.

As you gain new skills, other skill paths close off for your character adding definition to your build.

When you gain a certain collection of skills, you become a certain class and may get some bonuses for unlocking the class.

#2 Nadesh

Nadesh

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4987 posts
  • Playing:Requiem

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:48 AM

Increse the skill power/lvl by use is always an interesting thing but for some reason always give me a bad feeling. What you suggest is to go from the skill lvl 1 to 10 with the use, to increase the "skill xp" or in each lvl, when the skill reach "100% xp" the next lvl can be unlocked by spending one skill point?

Not sure if i understand the second part, but have buff that increase %s instead fixed values is always good: because some skills always end being useless at higher lvls.

"As you gain new skills, other skill paths close off for your character adding definition to your build.

When you gain a certain collection of skills, you become a certain class and may get some bonuses for unlocking the class."

That looks more than interesting, but the big fear is that all chars end looking the same. With the quests one would control wich path they take? Because at some point of the game some skills could be more used and lvl more, and one could end in another path: for example the problem between mages and warriors, all would be more tempted to use a fire ball than use a melee skill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users