#1 superhbman

superhbman

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Odin

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

I've been enjoying healing on my Priest so far. Currently at level 31.
Now I have a few questions regarding spells and healing style.

1. Sanctuary
I've searched a little and found mixed opinions regarding this. I've heard about maxing it or leaving it at 1, citing that it is only needed for the HP buff and / or that level 1 is enough healing output.
I would like to hear about your personal experience in using Sanctuary so I can have something more to consider.

Also, since Sorcerers already have Deluge that can provide a temporary HP buff, would there really be a need to provide the temporary HP buff twice in 2 minutes?

2. Heal
I've read a bit and I noticed that my healing style is vastly different from most people. I find that the general consensus is that Highness Heal is very high on the priority list. I realise that Aspersio + Highness Heal has much more output that 3x Aspersio + Heal. Yet, I have a different opinion on it.

Personally, if someone gets hurt, I would give Renovatio first, I use Aspersio + Heal as my go-to healing, and use Highness Heal only for multi-target healing or emergency burst-healing. I realise that Aspersio + Highness Heal is very powerful, but to me it's only for emergency healing or to prepare for a boss' AoE attack. Besides, if an AoE attack hits while Highness Heal is on cooldown, then I would only have Heal, Renovatio, and Sanctuary to heal multiple people.

I would like to know your experience so I can better understand this well established healing style.

3. Is there / where can I find a detailed encounter guide?
It would be nice to know when high damage phases will occur so I can prepare Aspersio + Highness Heal, Assumptio, or Sanctuary for it.

#2 Ryogure

Ryogure

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

Let's see:

1)Personally, I prefer Sanctuary level 5, it is a great savior on end game raids (Specially pve Arena) since your team tends to stick together most of the time. It will not be useful in a lot of situations, but on hard hits aoe, it will save a lot of lives (IE: a boss on pve arena stuns and aoe the team for around 4k damage, if there is adds around, the LoR is gone or something, Sanctuary will save the whole party in a matter of seconds, if not, they will mostlikely die). Plus I usually don't trust the other priest on the raid (Except if I know him/posts here) so is always in handy to have some extra healing power. Having it is necessary, maxing it depens on your playstyle. Plus like I stated on my guide, I prefer it over the archangel effect.

2)The point with HH is that with Aspersio, it generates a regen effect over 3 members, this will save a lot of time and plus heals a bunch, this on raids is a bless since you will be healing 10 people and not just 5, so with HH you can heal the tank, the offtank and a melee dps in just 1 skill (If you had to cast reno x3, aspersio and x3 heal this will take way more time and have way less benefits). So in end game you will be using both kind of heals to heal all the time.

3)I personally haven't seen one but with a few runs you will easy learn the patern, and the hard versions of the dungeons besides doing a bunch more of damage and having a bunch more of hp just use the same skills as other normal raid bosses just new mixes. (For example: the normal minotaurs doesn't have many skills, but the minotaurs on hard mode uses skills that Humbaba uses on normal, etc).

Hope this helped :)

Edited by Ryogure, 20 May 2013 - 09:30 AM.

#3 Maryn

Maryn

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

1. Personally? I love it, while still kinda situational, it's a lifesaver when it does happen. Using Sanct requires a bit of preparedness and some anticipation to user properly. It you are casting it and one of your ranges and or possibly melee is hurt and not close enough tell em to move it. Trust me they'll love you for it. The only bad side effect is that the AoE effect distance is kinda wonky and it does take a second or two to start healing up.

2. Kinda situational, and depending on your party setup whether it's a 5 man party with 3 melees and 2 ranges( including you). or a raid environment. it also depends on your current situation. my general priority is when two or more members get hurt and is near each other I'd use Asp+HH. if its just one I use Asp+Heal, of course you don't forget to apply renovatio when you do~ All in all, adapt to your current situation and go from there.

3.often times they, the bosses, will let out an 1-3 sec DoT then thier aoe attack. Try and look out for this debuff and plan accordingly. And please remind your party there's no shame in popping pots, they will make your life alot easier.

#4 vonnegut

vonnegut

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • Server:RO2: Odin

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

1. I liked having Sanctuary at 5, but it also works well at level 1. It depends on your party and your healing style and if you have a party full of Leroy Jenkinses like I always did, it's worth the level 5. I also called it my "cheat heal" at level 5 and would use it when I was lazy or was on the phone. I've actually decided to do another skill reset (after doing my first one to include a level 5 Ray of Genesis) to add Recovery back to my list. End game raids really need this skill. As a result, Sanctuary will likely be between 1-3 depending on how I allot my points.

2. HH is great, but it can really bring the aggro to you. I've changed up my style and I try to be more strategic. If I have more melees and they are right by the boss, I aspersio HH, but if I have ranged DPS with a tank on the boss, I just heal and renovatio them back to full health and toss renovatios to the ranged as needed. They should always be sure to pot right after an AoE just in case, because you can't let that tank die just to toss renovatios.

3. There is no specific guide, but you can see the AoEs coming. This game is great about outlining the floor in different colors and you can run. Also, since the game makes you do multiple runs for Khara, you'll get the hang of it very fast, which is why no one has specifically put out a guide.

#5 synesthetic

synesthetic

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 557 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:02 PM

1. Sanctuary
I've searched a little and found mixed opinions regarding this. I've heard about maxing it or leaving it at 1, citing that it is only needed for the HP buff and / or that level 1 is enough healing output.
I would like to hear about your personal experience in using Sanctuary so I can have something more to consider.

Also, since Sorcerers already have Deluge that can provide a temporary HP buff, would there really be a need to provide the temporary HP buff twice in 2 minutes?

Lv.1 is enough. The HP buff is the crucial part.
If you're in a solid raid group, then you should be able to trust that other people can help support heal/pot. Aside from using Asp+Sanc once it's needed, your top priority is to keep the tanks alive; and the tank won't necessarily be in your Sanc. So if your tank is dying before Sanc's 10 seconds are up, you need to cancel it immediately.

Comparing between Lv.1 and Lv.5 Sanctuary, given 1500 magic attack (a modest amount for a priest just starting out in raids),
Lv.1 Sanc would heal for a total of 4425 HP, if a person is in it for the full 10 seconds.
Lv.5 Sanc would heal for a total of 6525 HP. Chances are that if someone got hit that hard, then they're either a tank, or they're dead. So the more practical use I see here is in healing more over a shorter period of time, meaning you can afford to cancel Sanc sooner.

With a nice 2000 magic attack from a fairly well-geared priest,
Lv.1 Sanc would heal for a total of 5900 HP.
Lv.5 Sanc would heal for a total of 8700 HP.

Overall, it's both a matter of personal preference and how much you trust your group.

As for the other question, yes there is a need to use Deluge/Sanc more than once within two minutes for a few raid bosses. Setting up an order for who uses theirs when is important because of this, so they're not wasted, and so if someone dies within that rotation, the next person is ready to cover for them.

2. Heal
I've read a bit and I noticed that my healing style is vastly different from most people. I find that the general consensus is that Highness Heal is very high on the priority list. I realise that Aspersio + Highness Heal has much more output that 3x Aspersio + Heal. Yet, I have a different opinion on it.

Personally, if someone gets hurt, I would give Renovatio first, I use Aspersio + Heal as my go-to healing, and use Highness Heal only for multi-target healing or emergency burst-healing. I realise that Aspersio + Highness Heal is very powerful, but to me it's only for emergency healing or to prepare for a boss' AoE attack. Besides, if an AoE attack hits while Highness Heal is on cooldown, then I would only have Heal, Renovatio, and Sanctuary to heal multiple people.

I would like to know your experience so I can better understand this well established healing style.

Asp+Heal is very strong--it does more than what Asp+HH does to a single target--and there are times where I'll use that instead.
If there are at least two people near each other who need to be healed though, then Asp+HH wins.
Or if the strength of two Renos (Asp+HH's HoT is essentially 22.8% 19.2%, whereas Reno is 22%) is enough, then you can spend those 10 seconds doing other things.

My playstyle is more pre-emptive one. In dungeons, if I can afford to, I'll let the two HoTs do their work while I cycle Reno on everyone in the party, since most bosses randomly target party members with skills, or summon adds, or use AoEs. This way, everyone gets some healing immediately, whether I'm in a position to use Heal on them yet or not.

In raids, I still Reno and Asp+HH if I can afford to since there's often a main-tank and an off-tank, and I don't know when aggro will change hands between them. If the other priest also uses Asp+HH, then I use Asp+Heal if I need to, or Asp+HH once the other priest's HoT has worn off.
If I know I don't have to worry about multiple targets at melee, however, then Asp+Heal is preferred.

3. Is there / where can I find a detailed encounter guide?
It would be nice to know when high damage phases will occur so I can prepare Aspersio + Highness Heal, Assumptio, or Sanctuary for it.

I don't know of such a guide. I've thought about writing one specifically for healers, but I haven't had the time to seriously work one out. There's a lot I need to add to my guide still.

I'll say this though. Pre-raids, you shouldn't have to worry about timing your Assumptio or Sanctuary. Just use them whenever you feel they're needed.
There's almost always someone in the party who can explain the basic tactics to each boss fight, and if you have a decent party that can follow those directions, then you should be able to pull through. Or at least have enough time to learn what you need to do as the fight goes on.

edit: The 22.8% figure I stated for Asp+HH's HoT was based off of an old calculation I made when I misunderstood how the 50% healing bonus was applied to Asp+HH. I grabbed the wrong number when I posted that; it's actually 19.2%.

Edited by synesthetic, 13 June 2013 - 06:44 PM.

#6 superhbman

superhbman

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:32 AM

@ Ryogure: I appreciate knowing what to expect in raids, and I read your guide too. I liked the screenshots.

@ Maryn: Thanks for the feedback, and I'll look out for the debuff. So many things to check. X_X

@ vonnegut: Thank you, I'll definitely look out for Sanctuary moments now, and I'll look out for the patterns too.

@ synesthetic: I read your guide too and I enjoyed it. Greatly appreciate the numbers too. And thanks for your hard work.

You guys have given me a lot to think about regarding Heal and Highness Heal, thank you.

#7 Snowberries01

Snowberries01

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:49 AM

- Sanctuary, I don't use it often, only emergencies when all party members are at around 50% HP. The 2 min cooldown makes it a "use when necessary" skill. So I 1/5 it.

- Highness Heal, this is a very spamable skill. I personally think you should 3/5, 4/5, or 5/5 it. If you're using mostly boss gears, your cooldown should possibly reduce to 5~8 seconds.
>My tactic on this skill: When your party reaches 75% HP, Apserio + HH. For the one who didn't get heal, I throw an assumptio on them, then Reno and Heal spam them.
>Pros: Instant cast, 3 members, and short cooldown.
>Cons: This skill randomly selects target, so you may heal someone already full in health. If this happens, just Coloeuo Heal the lowest HP member.

- Heal, I left this as 4/5, because having a point in Highnes Heal is more important and comes with a bigger percentage increase. As you get higher level, you'll notice you need to heal quickly and more targets at once.

Edited by Snowberries01, 21 May 2013 - 05:53 AM.

#8 NiaAdha

NiaAdha

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:28 AM

- Sanctuary, I don't use it often, only emergencies when all party members are at around 50% HP. The 2 min cooldown makes it a "use when necessary" skill. So I 1/5 it.

In PvE, i'd like to think sactuary is a mandatory. the CD is actually 1.5min. Diluge has 2min CD. a raid with 2 Priest and 2 Sorc can cross-cast diluge-sanctuary-diluge-sanctuary. and even with that, it's still hard. (hard-mode, i mean).

honestly, i never see the HP buff for sanctuary is of any importance. 15% for 10secs? although i keep aspersion everytime i do my sanctuary on tanks, but that isnt the purpose i max my sanctuary. :questionmark:

#9 synesthetic

synesthetic

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

In PvE, i'd like to think sactuary is a mandatory. the CD is actually 1.5min.

The cooldown is 2min. I just timed it with all of my gear off.

#10 ioflux

ioflux

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

Asp+Heal is very strong--it does more than what Asp+HH does to a single target--and there are times where I'll use that instead.

I'd actually like to point out that in a timespan of "aspersio cooldown" (which is what it should be measured by", a Asp+HH will heal more than Asp+Heal. Asp+Heal will heal more for the value of Aspersio in those 3 heals (~4-5s), but in the longer span of time, Casting Asp+HH will outheal Asp+Heal. This is not including the offchance that Asp+HH can crit making the difference even larger. These are all on the premise that you're sitting on 200% crit dmg/heal (I know its higher with meditatio). I will agree though that Asp+Heal does heal more in the timespan of 4-5s but falls behind in a timepsan of 10s.

Now if you do decide to use Asp+heal then at some point in the span of 10seconds cast HH, then the values will closely equalize with very very minimal differences.

Anyone who heals will just have to use their best judgement on which is more important, burst healing in 4-5s or healing more over time.

HH will obviously heal more if you get more than 1 target (tank+offtank) next to each other.

#11 synesthetic

synesthetic

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

Editing my previous post. I grabbed the wrong number when I wrote 22.8% for Asp+HH's HoT. It's 19.2%. Sorry if that inconveniences anyone.

I'd actually like to point out that in a timespan of "aspersio cooldown" (which is what it should be measured by", a Asp+HH will heal more than Asp+Heal. Asp+Heal will heal more for the value of Aspersio in those 3 heals (~4-5s), but in the longer span of time, Casting Asp+HH will outheal Asp+Heal. This is not including the offchance that Asp+HH can crit making the difference even larger. These are all on the premise that you're sitting on 200% crit dmg/heal (I know its higher with meditatio). I will agree though that Asp+Heal does heal more in the timespan of 4-5s but falls behind in a timepsan of 10s.

Strictly speaking,
Asp+Heal, given all three charges used and given that Heal is Lv.5, heals for a total of 258%. This would take about 6 seconds unless Gloria procs or you have a significant amount of Haste Rate.

Asp+Highness Heal, given HH is also Lv.5, heals for a total of 192% over 10 seconds (per target).

So unless you crit with Asp+HH, I don't see how HH beats Heal for single targets.

I -think- I understand what you're trying to get at though. Over a timespan of 10 seconds after casting Aspersio, you're probably comparing 5 Heals vs. 1 HH + 4 Heals.

3 crit heals + 2 regular heals would do 344% to a single target.
1 Asp+HH + 4 regular heals would do 364% to a single target.
And then that other case you mentioned with 3 crit heals + 1 regular heal + 1 HH would do 365%.

And then over a timespan of 6 seconds, it'd be a comparison of 3 Heals vs. 1 HH + 2 Heals.
3 crit heals would do 258%.
1 Asp+HH + 2 regular heals would do 239.6% (ignoring the last two ticks of Asp+HH's HoT).

So if that's what you were getting at, you're right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users