Continual setup popup window not saving changes/unable to proceed - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Continual setup popup window not saving changes/unable to proceed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lorvanza

Lorvanza

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

Hi! I'm a returning player to RO (I used to play it on my old comp that ran Vista before that one dragon in the tree patch, can't remember what it was called), and have recently wanted to play RO again on my new computer, which however runs Windows 8. I'm still getting used to the entirely new layout since I'm so used to the previous versions.

I had downloaded the game using a newly made ID since I'm trying to retrieve my old one, and while the client patched fine, I'm stuck at this setup window that will not save my changes and refuses to close entirely. If I exit out of it, it simply pops back up. If I make changes, it does not save them. if I click the OK button without making any changes, it closes then pops back up like a whiny toddler wanting attention. The only way to completely abort the procedure is to restart my computer, which is not good.

I want to play RO again, but I don't think anyone else is getting this issue. I downloaded the client from the main website and am out of ideas as to why I'm getting this error/refusal to proceed. I last played on Loki before the merge, and was not able to redownload the game back then because of some issue with the downloader servers.

If anyone has a workaround/solution that actually works, I would be very happy. If not, I guess that means I'm done with RO for good (le sadface).

Also, my computer is a recent build, made around the start of this year with an AMD-FX 8-core ~3.1Ghz processor setup, and runs with DirectX 11.

#2 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

Run the game as administrator, and the setup window will only show up once.

#3 Lorvanza

Lorvanza

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

Alright, that got it past the setup screen, but now that I've tried to adjust it, I encountered an error and it auto shut it off. Now going back into setup yields no screen dimensions to pick from to attempt to adjust it.

Do I need to reinstall it?

Edit: caught the error and it says: Cannot init d3d OR grf file has problem.

Edited by Lorvanza, 27 June 2013 - 08:02 PM.

#4 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

Alright, that got it past the setup screen, but now that I've tried to adjust it, I encountered an error and it auto shut it off. Now going back into setup yields no screen dimensions to pick from to attempt to adjust it.

Do I need to reinstall it?

Edit: caught the error and it says: Cannot init d3d OR grf file has problem.

If the resolution or rendering mode options in setup are left blank, you get the cannot init d3d error. Because it can't initialize d3d if it doesn't know what resolution or rendering mode to use.

What version of windows are you using?

If windows 8, fiddle with compatibility settings on setup (starting it as admin every time) until you get options for screen resolution and rendering mode. Select an option for that, and you should be okay. Windows 8 is known to be somewhat more challenging to make RO and many other older games run on.

If pre-windows 8, this indicates a problem with DirectX or your graphics drivers - one or both of those is either not installed, or not working correctly.

#5 Lorvanza

Lorvanza

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

If the resolution or rendering mode options in setup are left blank, you get the cannot init d3d error. Because it can't initialize d3d if it doesn't know what resolution or rendering mode to use.

What version of windows are you using?

If windows 8, fiddle with compatibility settings on setup (starting it as admin every time) until you get options for screen resolution and rendering mode. Select an option for that, and you should be okay. Windows 8 is known to be somewhat more challenging to make RO and many other older games run on.

If pre-windows 8, this indicates a problem with DirectX or your graphics drivers - one or both of those is either not installed, or not working correctly.

I'm currently on Windows 8, and for some reason even running it in administration mode repeatedly refused to give me screen dimensions to adjust to. The field just simply remained blank.

Hoping a clean uninstall and reinstall fixes it.

#6 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

It won't.

On most windows 8 systems (but, inexplicably, not all), you need to change the compatibility settings of setup (and possibly the game client to match - not sure, since I haven't used win 8 for RO) in order for the setup program to pick up the available graphics modes. I don't know what exact compatibility mode you need - just keep trying them until you get options in the graphics menus.

This is only an issue on Windows 8 (the having to run setup as admin applies to all version of windows except XP and earlier)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users