Screen Resolution problem - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Screen Resolution problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 allastorm

allastorm

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

Hello guys.

I just got a new laptop. Its windows 8, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660M gfx card. DirectX 11. All of my games play and run great... except this game.

I have done some research but nothing solves my problem.

Basically, when I get the client to run, its either very tiny and nice resolution (unplayable that small) or if I configure the settings to "full screen" it takes up the entire screen, but the resolution is so big I feel like Im playing on Windows 95! Also unplayable.

I have ran both as administrator. I have adusted comptability mode for both, trying various versions of Windows.

I have 4 settings to choose from:

Direct 3D Hal

Direct 3D T&L Hal

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

And then I choose my max resolution being 1920 x 1080 x 16

Im not sure which gfx option to choose, but I've tried them all.

Please help. I don't know what else to try. I have a significant amount of money invested in this game and the game being unplayable really isn't acceptable. Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: I also forgot to add that I tried the following suggestion in one of the main threads, but it does not work for me because there is no dropdown menu to adjust  in my control panel when I click on the "Adjust desktop color settings"

Full screen mode blurry, as if low-res image was scaled up, using Win7 and NVIDIA graphics card:

For reasons unclear, a recently introduced 'feature' of nvidia graphics cards can break RO fullscreen mode, causing it to stretch the graphics from 640x480 (minimum resolution) to the size of the screen. Thanks to meoryou2 for reporting this issue and fix!

1) Open the NVidia control panel, go to the "adjust desktop color settings" tab and there is a dropdown selector near the bottom - "content type reported to the display" change it from "Auto" to "Desktop Applications" and fullscreen apps SHOULD now launch in the resolution honoring their settings, RO does as well as 3DMark11.

Make sure you have the scaling feature in NVidia control panel set to "full screen" if you want to run a full screen app at a lower resolution without letterboxing / pillarboxing ( black bars at the top and bottom or sides of the screen ), I have mine set to do the scaling in the GPU, but you can also set it so the monitor should switch to the lower resolution and use its own built in scaler.

Edited by allastorm, 04 August 2013 - 07:43 AM.

#2 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

Are you playing classic? You need to run classic setup to set resolution for classic, it seems to often default to a tiny screen. 

Also everything RO related always needs to be run as admin on Win8. 

#3 allastorm

allastorm

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

Dr. Azzy, thanks for your reply.

I play on renewal/chaos.

I made some headway, but I am still having problems. A thread here said to manually edit a file in the save data folder, and manually type in the resolution. I did this and my client loaded full screen, yay! Now I have new problems.

My game runs like crap.Really, really laggy and jumpy. If I change maps, it freezes up sometimes, or if I butterfly wing I had to close the client because I was stuck. Also, when I login to a character and it loads my character it says "100%" and I can hear music, but my game does not load, ever. I also cant close the client, even in task manager. The only thing I can do is restart my computer and this is getting very old.

I run everything as admin. Which gfx setting should I be choosing do you think that has to do with it? This trial and error thing isn't working out well because of the constant freezing and restarting of my machine :(

#4 azumak1

azumak1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1347 posts
  • Server:Chaos!

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

Ouch... although I have been on Win8 for a couple months now, I haven't had problems that severe... But I think I might be able to help~

-I would start off by doing Select All (Ctrl+A in the RO root folder) and doing a right-click, Properties, and UN-check the Read-Only option

-Right-click Ragnarok.exe, Properties and copy these options:

YES: Compatibility Mode, WinXP SP3

NO: Reduced Color

NO: 640x480 resolution

NO: DPI Scaling

YES: Run as Admin

-Right-click Setup.exe and run as admin of course, and see which options you have under "Graphic Setting" (first option)... you'll likely have Direct3D HAL and your graphics card, try direct3d first

-DISABLE FULL SCREEN MODE, as far as I know it will NEVER work in Win8, no fullscreen ever.**

-Disable mouse exclusive and delete "dinput.dll" in the root RO folder.

-If you have options for resolution modes still (I do not) pick something inbetween, or in that savedata/Optioninfo.lua file you were editing before, change it to:

OptionInfoList["ISFULLSCREENMODE"] = 0
OptionInfoList["WIDTH"] = 1360
OptionInfoList["HEIGHT"] = 768

... that's all I can think of for now! x.o  Good luck.. and come back if you're still having trouble! The good part is, once you have it working, it should stay that way! :3

**running RO at your desktop's native resolution in windowed mode will cause a small part of the bottom to be cut off, can be fixed but it's generally easier to make RO a little smaller

edit:

Thinking about the problem some more, I think it's a good idea to isolate the NVIDIA card options, because it's likely doing more harm than good. Try to reset everything to default in the NVIDIA options manager. This is because RO gets angry when resolution changes are done after it is opened. Say I have an RO client open on laptop, which is connected to TV via HDMI. Unplugging HDMI cable and going back to laptop screen only will fully freeze RO, and the same thing will happen if I start a different game that causes a fullscreen resolution change. I really must recommend abandoning any hope of running RO in fullscreen on Win8, sadly. Once you get RO stable, we can figure out a good resolution to run it at afterwards. :] Good luck again!

Edited by azumak1, 04 August 2013 - 01:15 PM.

#5 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

Do not use full screen mode on Windows 8. 

Full screen, if it works at all, is horrendously laggy. 

Just set it to run in windowed mode. 

#6 allastorm

allastorm

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

Thank you both for all your help <3

I like to try things small at a time. You both said NOT to use full screen, which makes me sad but I unchecked that and the mouse exclusive. I did not delete that .dll file yet, im scared to delete stuff!

Now, my game runs smoother. It could be better but seems to be less laggy now, but the bottom part is cut off. The .lua file I had inputed my computers resolution and have not changed it yet. Currently, it looks decently nice the way it is. I will include a screen shot below.

ragnarok1_zps48a93681.png

What do you think? Is this how I am destined to play on Windows 8? I am hesitant to make other adjustments because this seems to work and I have a bad habbit of making things worse XD

#7 azumak1

azumak1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1347 posts
  • Server:Chaos!

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

Awesome, glad to see you are making some progress! Let's see... the dinput.dll file has to do with holding the mouse inside the RO window, if things are working, you can leave it for now. :] 

There's a quite a few ways you can do it now, but my two preferred setups currently are:

-Setting width the same as the desktop (divisible by 4, or screenshots get distorted) and then setting height to leave some room for the Windows taskbar.

-Setting resolution to the same as desktop, 1920 x 1080, and running a tiny self-contained program from iROwiki forums called False Fullscreen, which simply sets a shortcut (Ctrl+alt+F) to move the RO window to co-ordinates 0, 0 and making it look exactly as though it were fullscreen

I currently do the false fullscreen method, but the first way is a little easier. Try opening that savedata.lua file and set it to

OptionInfoList["WIDTH"] = 1980
OptionInfoList["HEIGHT"] = 960

Save and relaunch client.. and see how that looks~ False Fullscreen looks great though, I'd be glad to help with that too!

Edited by azumak1, 04 August 2013 - 05:40 PM.

#8 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

You have the screen set to the same vertical resolution as your screen. 

But the window has a title bar, and windows has a task bar. 

So yeah, shrink down the height a bit and you should be good. 

I don't know how you can play with RO filling the whole screen, tbh. I couldn't handle it!

My screen is 1920x1200, and I play RO at 1024x768. I do the same res on my 1600x900 laptop, too. I don't like it filling my field of vision. RO isn't meant to be an immersive game, so I don't try to make it one. I'm constantly tabbing between clients, ragial, forums, iW, etc. Plus I need to see who's talking on vent during WoE and see all my IM windows...

#9 KingCarlGene

KingCarlGene

I am New.

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:44 PM

Right-click Ragnarok.exe, Properties and copy these options:

YES: Compatibility Mode, WinXP SP3

NO: Reduced Color

NO: 640x480 resolution

NO: DPI Scaling

YES: Run as Admin

-Right-click Setup.exe and run as admin of course, and see which options you have under "Graphic Setting" (first option)... you'll likely have Direct3D HAL and your graphics card, try direct3d first

-DISABLE FULL SCREEN MODE, as far as I know it will NEVER work in Win8, no fullscreen ever.**

-Disable mouse exclusive and delete "dinput.dll" in the root RO folder.

-If you have options for resolution modes still (I do not) pick something inbetween, or in that savedata/Optioninfo.lua file you were editing before, change it to:

OptionInfoList["ISFULLSCREENMODE"] = 0
OptionInfoList["WIDTH"] = 1360
OptionInfoList["HEIGHT"] = 768

Hi Guys,

I'm having a problem in regards to my resolution when playing RO.

window display seems too small and the letters can't be read.

I'm using 32" toshiba tv with HDMI connected in my PC, does the quote above can be fixed in windows 10?

Please help me to fixed the problem.

Thank you in advance.

#10 VModCinnamon

VModCinnamon

Tranquility

• VMod Retired
  • 16663 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:31 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm having a problem in regards to my resolution when playing RO.
window display seems too small and the letters can't be read.
I'm using 32" toshiba tv with HDMI connected in my PC, does the quote above can be fixed in windows 10?
Please help me to fixed the problem.

Thank you in advance.

Hello there and welcome :)

This thread is quite old and may possibly contain outdated info, I'd suggest in future to avoid bumping old topics.
On the issue, please see the suggested solution below.

Are you using a display with a high pixel density? If so, then try the following:

• Open File Explorer.
  • Navigate to the client installation folder.
  • Select the file Ragnarok.exe.
  • Press alt-enter.
  • Open the Compatibility tab.
  • Enable the option Disable display scaling on high-DPI settings.
  • Press OK.
  • Repeat steps 3–7 for the file Ragexe.exe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users