Disconnections when changing maps - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Disconnections when changing maps

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 PedroProplayer

PedroProplayer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:iRO Chaos/Renewal

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

I looked around and none of those previous topics seems helpful about my issue, so I am posting it here.

I have two problems I believe might be related.

First one is that logging on is really, really difficult. I have to attempt 5~10 times to log in every time. The error I get is disconnected from server.

The second and worst problem is that I almost always get disconnected when moving between maps. When I get a warp, or use a portal, or do any map movement at all, I get stuck on the Please Wait screen for a few minutes and then I get a Disconnected from Server(timeout) error.

I get disconnected about 50% of the time when moving around, and it takes me forever to log back in. Those two combined make it really awful to play the game.

My antivirus has the Firewall completely turned off. Running on Win8. Server is Renewal Chaos.

#2 dotflamo

dotflamo

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

I'm getting the same map changing problem as you, also there's just general lag, sometimes I'll freeze while walking around a map and it'll d/c, but no problems logging in

#3 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts
  • LocationEngland, United Kingdom

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

Is this a new problem, or has it always existed it to some degree?

You should reenable your anti-malware and firewall software because keeping them disabled will cause more problems than it solves.

#4 dotflamo

dotflamo

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

New for me, was running smoothly before the patch. Did some internet speed tests, nothing about my connection has changed.

#5 Technius

Technius

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:40 PM

I'm lagging too.  If I manage to get on, I lag so much that I get disconnected.  RO is not blocked in my firewall, and my connection is pretty fast.  The lag wasn't this bad yesterday (and disconnections didn't happen, either).

Edit: Even the forums, WarpPortal website, and RO website are lagging.

Edit 2: Seems like the lag is gone.  Thank you to whoever fixed the lag.

Edited by Technius, 19 September 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#6 duckmanneo

duckmanneo

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 580 posts
  • LocationIn a van down by the river.
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

I thought the driver I installed was causing those lag issues.  I'm trying to revert back to old drivers to see.

#7 PedroProplayer

PedroProplayer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:18 AM

My firewall is off because it always gives me problems on other stuff I play.

I've had this issue for a long time already, not something new.

#8 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:53 PM

My firewall is off because it always gives me problems on other stuff I play.

I've had this issue for a long time already, not something new.

Does your computer communicate with your router via Wi-Fi? If so, then test whether the problem persists while your computer is connected to your router via an Ethernet cable.

#9 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

I thought the driver I installed was causing those lag issues.  I'm trying to revert back to old drivers to see.

Sounds like proper debugging practice, though you should make sure it's not a connection issue by testing from another machine (if possible).

I'm lagging too.  If I manage to get on, I lag so much that I get disconnected.  RO is not blocked in my firewall, and my connection is pretty fast.  The lag wasn't this bad yesterday (and disconnections didn't happen, either).

Edit: Even the forums, WarpPortal website, and RO website are lagging.

Edit 2: Seems like the lag is gone.  Thank you to whoever fixed the lag.

This is a problem with your internet connection. Either something wrong with your ISP, or you (or a roommate) was doing something like bittorrent or other large data transfer that was trashing your connection. If you're on wifi in a crowded area (ie, appartment complex), you can even get your wifi trashed by a neighbor using the same or a nearby channel). If it only effected RO-related websites, it's a routing problem between your ISP and NTT (gravity's ISP).

I'm getting the same map changing problem as you, also there's just general lag, sometimes I'll freeze while walking around a map and it'll d/c, but no problems logging in

Then it's not the same problem. Your issue sounds like generalized severe connection issues. Either you're on wifi and it sucks (as wifi often does), or there's a routing issue between your ISP and NTT (gravity's ISP). A tracert might give you a smoking gun (or might not - I've seen a number of reports of network lag, sometimes even lag that's fixed by using lowerping, despite clean traces). Lowerping/WTFast will help if it's a routing issue. 

New for me, was running smoothly before the patch. Did some internet speed tests, nothing about my connection has changed.

Internet connection speed tests are almost completely useless for investigating lag, because they test the transfer rate between you and one of their speed-test servers. 

Transfer rate has nothing to do with how well RO plays - you care about latency, not bandwidth. 

And you care about it between you and RO's servers, not you and a speed test server. The most common speed test server is particularly optimistic, because you're frequently testing speed against a server hosted by your ISP - the absolute best-case scenario; since most network issues happen as traffic passes between networks (most problems for comcast users, for example, happen as traffic travels over Tata's network en route to NTT. Tata has gotten considerably better in the past couple of years, but they're still bad enough that I find that I need Lowerping* to play from comcast near boston MA.

First one is that logging on is really, really difficult. I have to attempt 5~10 times to log in every time. The error I get is disconnected from server.

The second and worst problem is that I almost always get disconnected when moving between maps. When I get a warp, or use a portal, or do any map movement at all, I get stuck on the Please Wait screen for a few minutes and then I get a Disconnected from Server(timeout) error.

I get disconnected about 50% of the time when moving around, and it takes me forever to log back in. Those two combined make it really awful to play the game.

These two issues are the same problem - you're not able to connect to zone servers most of the time.

We've had a few reports of this sort of issue over the years, and there was only one case where we got to the bottom of it, where the person was using a piece of VPN software called LogMeIn aka Hamachi, and that confused their networking. It's likely that there are other programs that can do this.

*I don't use lowerping, but what I use does the same thing. 

Edited by DrAzzy, 20 September 2013 - 07:15 AM.

#10 PedroProplayer

PedroProplayer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

Okay, so how do I fix this? It's annoying enough to make me want to hurl my computer at the wall after a few hours.

#11 KyrieDielle

KyrieDielle

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2428 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

^
^

desk%20flip.jpg

GO FOR IT!

#12 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

Okay, so how do I fix this? It's annoying enough to make me want to hurl my computer at the wall after a few hours.

• Try what I suggested in my previous post.
  • Post the output of a WinMTR session (see below).
  • List what third-party networking software you have installed, if any.
To use WinMTR to diagnose the cause of the problem:

Note: Ideally, you should avoid using your network connection while WinMTR is running. If that isn't possible, then try to use as little bandwidth as possible.
  • Download and then extract WinMTR.
  • If you're using a 64-bit version of Windows, then open the file WinMTR_x64\WinMTR.exe. If you're using a 32-bit version of Windows, then open the file WinMTR_x32\WinMTR.exe.

If you don't know the bit count of your Windows installation, then follow the instructions in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 827218.
  • Enter "playragnarok.com" into the "host" field.
  • Press "start".
  • Press "stop" after 15 minutes (when the value of the first cell in the "sent" column in the table will be 900).
  • Press "copy HTML to clipboard".
  • Open Notepad.
  • Press control-V, control-S, and then save the document with the name "WinMTR report.html".
  • Upload the file you created in the previous step to Ge.tt.
  • Include the address of the uploaded copy of the file in a reply to this post.

#13 jokinvipo

jokinvipo

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:59 PM

The problem is in server guys.  :p_sick:

#14 PedroProplayer

PedroProplayer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

I have my computer connected directly to my modem with a cable and the problem isn't any better. Still taking forever to log-in.

I'll do that WinMTR thing but, honestly, who will look at it and what kind of solution will be given to me?

#15 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

I have my computer connected directly to my modem with a cable and the problem isn't any better. Still taking forever to log-in.

I'll do that WinMTR thing but, honestly, who will look at it and what kind of solution will be given to me?

I will. The WinMTR output should show us at what point along the route between your computer and Gravity's network your packets are being delayed or lost.

#16 PedroProplayer

PedroProplayer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:44 AM

http://ge.tt/4dx57js/v/0?c

Yesterday, I disconnected during a TI party. It took me 100 log-in attempts to get back, and they were nearly done by the time I got there.

#17 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

http://ge.tt/4dx57js/v/0?c

Yesterday, I disconnected during a TI party. It took me 100 log-in attempts to get back, and they were nearly done by the time I got there.

Gravity's servers weren't responding to Ping requests for several hours yesterday, which could have skewed WinMTR's output. You'll therefore have to generate and upload a new WinMTR report. You can run WinMTR for just 5 minutes this time to save time.

#18 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

Axylus, that log looks pretty clear to me. Sure, it craps out on the last 2 hops, because of the issue you mentioned - But all the earlier hops are terrible too!

Double digit packet loss across the whole damned thing. No wonder he's having problems.. Since the packet loss is starting on the first hop, it's got to be either a problem with his computer's network card (extremely unlikely), cable modem, or the cable line coming from the street. I would suspect that he's also experiencing generally poor web performance in general.

He should contact his ISP, and request that they send someone out to determine why he's getting such miserable packet loss. 

#19 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

Axylus, that log looks pretty clear to me. Sure, it craps out on the last 2 hops, because of the issue you mentioned - But all the earlier hops are terrible too!

Double digit packet loss across the whole damned thing. No wonder he's having problems.. Since the packet loss is starting on the first hop, it's got to be either a problem with his computer's network card (extremely unlikely), cable modem, or the cable line coming from the street. I would suspect that he's also experiencing generally poor web performance in general.

He should contact his ISP, and request that they send someone out to determine why he's getting such miserable packet loss.

Ah, if only it were that simple. :)

You have to be careful when interpreting MTR/WinMTR's output because many Internet routers are configured to assign a low priority to ICMP packets and consistently fail to respond to significant proportion of Ping requests. This gives the impression of a problem when none exists. Whenever I use MTR, I experience significant packet loss on nodes 2 to 4 of every route because my ISP has configured its routers in this manner.

You can tell whether the cause of packet loss is low ICMP priority or an actual problem because, in the case of the former, the packet loss won't propagate to the subsequent nodes in the route. Unless the proportion of dropped packets remains the same or increases with each subsequent node, then the cause is low ICMP priority.

In Pedro's WinMTR report, the packet loss on the first 7 nodes was probably caused by low ICMP priority because the proportion of dropped packets decreases from 14% to 1% on the 4th node, and from 16% to 8% on the 8th node. The packet loss on nodes 8 to 13 could be the result of a routing problem because it increases significantly with each subsequent node. However, as I said in my previous post, it wouldn't be wise to make use of that report.

I'm puzzled as to why the first node in the report is an NTT server in Florida, USA when nodes 2 to 5 nodes are located in Brazil. :blink:

Edited by Axylus, 23 September 2013 - 06:19 PM.

#20 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

Ah, if only it were that simple. :)

You have to be careful when interpreting MTR/WinMTR's output because many Internet routers are configured to assign a low priority to ICMP packets and consistently fail to respond to significant proportion of Ping requests. This gives the impression of a problem when none exists. Whenever I use MTR, I experience significant packet loss on nodes 2 to 4 of every route because my ISP has configured its routers in this manner.

You can tell whether the cause of packet loss is low ICMP priority or an actual problem because, in the case of the former, the packet loss won't propagate to the subsequent nodes in the route. Unless the proportion of dropped packets remains the same or increases with each subsequent node, then the cause is low ICMP priority.

In Pedro's WinMTR report, the packet loss on the first 7 nodes was probably caused by low ICMP priority because the proportion of dropped packets decreases from 14% to 1% on the 4th node, and from 16% to 8% on the 8th node. The packet loss on nodes 8 to 13 could be the result of a routing problem because it increases significantly with each subsequent node. However, as I said in my previous post, it wouldn't be wise to make use of that report.

I'm puzzled as to why the first node in the report is an NTT server in Florida, USA when nodes 2 to 5 nodes are located in Brazil. :blink:

Ugh, lovely.... I haven't (yet) run into that issue, so I wasn't aware of it. 

#21 PedroProplayer

PedroProplayer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:54 AM

I did a quick 5 minutes one, like you asked.

http://ge.tt/72sp5ts/v/0?c

#22 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

I did a quick 5 minutes one, like you asked.

http://ge.tt/72sp5ts/v/0?c

The report indicates that there is nothing wrong with your connection. :huh: Is the problem intermittent?

Edited by Axylus, 24 September 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#23 PedroProplayer

PedroProplayer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

The problem happens all the time.

It looked weird when I saw it too, completely different from the other. The problem is there, trust me.

I'll upload a third one shortly.

#24 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:14 PM

The problem happens all the time.

It looked weird when I saw it too, completely different from the other. The problem is there, trust me.

I'll upload a third one shortly.

Yes, it certainly is completely different.

I didn't intend to imply that there is no problem, just that the WinMTR report doesn't show one. At this point, I'm not sure what the cause of the problem could be.

#25 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

I'm really wondering about why the first hop is a different address in those two traces (the other addresses look the same, just that some weren't resolved to hostnames in the first one)... I wonder if that's a clue as to the problem, or a red herring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users