[Archived] How to play Ragnarök Online on Linux - Ragnarok subforum archives - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

[Archived] How to play Ragnarök Online on Linux

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
131 replies to this topic

#1 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts
  • LocationEngland, United Kingdom

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:01 PM

I will be unable to update this post or reply to this thread after 2018-05-25.

guide.png

Gravity doesn't officially support playing Ragnarök Online on platforms other than Windows. If you require help with playing the game on Linux, then please ask for it in this thread.

Update VModCinnamon:

CrossOver/Wine is no longer compatible with current RO client due to EAC. See the guide's author post here.

Edited by VModCinnamon, 08 March 2020 - 05:31 AM.

#2 EpicGnome

EpicGnome

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

Ahh found it. Nicely done. That explains why I am having issues with the most up to date installer. Getting the October '12 as we speak. Thanks for taking the time to do Linux help for people. Love Linux but wish it was a bit better with game capatability. Its making progress though. I wish I could find a reliable torrent of the older version since I have issues with some of the sites (extremely long download times). For those who are having the same issue, PlayerAttack is working better for me than AtomicGamer. As in it's a wait of 20 minutes instead of 8-9 hours xD.

Edited by EpicGnome, 23 November 2013 - 06:34 PM.

#3 VIICloudStrife

VIICloudStrife

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

Glad to see you rewrote your guide, good stuff with helping guys out with keeping away from the plague that is windows!

Even though I got it working previously on my suse install after your advice with using a previous version of the installer, I'll give this guide a go and let you know the results on OpenSuse 13.1.

Thanks dude.

Tom

#4 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:25 AM

Glad to see you rewrote your guide, good stuff with helping guys out with keeping away from the plague that is windows!

Even though I got it working previously on my suse install after your advice with using a previous version of the installer, I'll give this guide a go and let you know the results on OpenSuse 13.1.

Thanks dude.

Tom

I've discovered a workaround that allows you to run the latest version of the installer under Wine. ;) See the Issues section.

Great! Contributions are very welcome.

#5 Unglued

Unglued

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

is it normal for you guys that the cpu usage goes to 100% when running iRO on linux?

(I'm running the the 64bit version of wine ~ didn't wanna re-install it to test the 32bit)

#6 EpicGnome

EpicGnome

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:03 PM

is it normal for you guys that the cpu usage goes to 100% when running iRO on linux?

(I'm running the the 64bit version of wine ~ didn't wanna re-install it to test the 32bit)

I do notice a pretty big spike but not quite a constant 100%. I am also using on a netbook with 12.04LTS so not very workable at the moment (I think I need to change some things and update to 13.10 to make sure everything is up to date). I use the 32bit version. It used to work fine and be the main way I would play Ragnarok till I felt like using my XP computer more. It's only slow for me because I messed up some settings and my netbook may just be getting a bit tired xD.

#7 Riftillion

Riftillion

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

sorry, im a noob here, but how do i change the screen size? setup.exe in the .local folder wont work, and my window is too tiny. or if there is a way to make it full screen, that would work too. my mouse is stuck in the window when running, if that makes a diffrence....

#8 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:09 AM

sorry, im a noob here, but how do i change the screen size? setup.exe in the .local folder wont work, and my window is too tiny. or if there is a way to make it full screen, that would work too. my mouse is stuck in the window when running, if that makes a diffrence....

You can change the RO client's video resolution using its configurator, which you would normally open using the start menu shortcut/launcher named "Setup", but I've just realised the latest version of the installer doesn't create such a shortcut! -_-

You'll therefore have to run the configurator by entering the following command in Terminal:

wine 'C:\Gravity\Ragnarok Online\Setup.exe'

If I have time, then I'll add instructions for creating custom launchers to the guide.

#9 Riftillion

Riftillion

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:24 AM

yah, the setup.exe dosnt work for me, but if i go into the /home/[user]/.local/share/wineprefixes/ragnarok/drive_c/Program Files/Gravity/Ragnarok Online/savedata, and open the option.lua in a text editor, you can change a lot of the options, including screen size. thanks for the help tho.

#10 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:42 AM

yah, the setup.exe dosnt work for me, but if i go into the /home/[user]/.local/share/wineprefixes/ragnarok/drive_c/Program Files/Gravity/Ragnarok Online/savedata, and open the option.lua in a text editor, you can change a lot of the options, including screen size. thanks for the help tho.

I've never encountered any version of Wine that can't run the configurator. Could you try to run it from Terminal and include the output in a reply to this post?

By the way, what wrapper are you using for Wine?

Edited by Axylus, 09 December 2013 - 07:20 AM.

#11 EpicGnome

EpicGnome

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:36 PM

You can change the RO client's video resolution using its configurator, which you would normally open using the start menu shortcut/launcher named "Setup", but I've just realised the latest version of the installer doesn't create such a shortcut! -_-

You'll therefore have to run the configurator by entering the following command in Terminal:

wine 'C:\Gravity\Ragnarok Online\Setup.exe'

If I have time, then I'll add instructions for creating custom launchers to the guide.

Might be useful since some don't know how. Even longer term linux users.

I did more with the option.lua since it was easier just to type in exactly what I wanted. I agree, odd that setup.exe isn't working for you.

#12 5103131227183105873

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:52 PM

• Open Terminal.
  • Type "wine " (including the space).
  • Drag and drop the IRO client installer file onto the window.

I have a problem there, doing that does nothing it just displays the help, like this

$ wine
Usage: wine PROGRAM [ARGUMENTS...]   Run the specified program
       wine --help                   Display this help and exit
       wine --version                Output version information and exit

Im running lubuntu 13.10

#13 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

I have a problem there, doing that does nothing it just displays the help, like this

Im running lubuntu 13.10

Where the instructions state to "type" some text, you must type the text without pressing enter, and where the instructions state to "enter" some text, you must type the text and then press enter.

Edited by Axylus, 31 January 2014 - 01:27 PM.

#14 heddwch

heddwch

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

Hi! Just wanted to add something useful I found. There's quite a few resources around detailing how to disable Nagle's algorithm on Windows to reduce position lag. To achieve something similar in Linux, you can, from a root shell, do:

# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_low_latency

This will have to be repeated after each reboot. The way to make this automatic differs between distributions, so if anyone needs to do so and needs help, let me know.

#15 monkeypuma

monkeypuma

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:26 PM

Hi! Just wanted to add something useful I found. There's quite a few resources around detailing how to disable Nagle's algorithm on Windows to reduce position lag. To achieve something similar in Linux, you can, from a root shell, do:

# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_low_latency

This will have to be repeated after each reboot. The way to make this automatic differs between distributions, so if anyone needs to do so and needs help, let me know.

That's pretty cool and I'll have to try it next time I can play. Thanks for the tip.

#16 heddwch

heddwch

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

Happy to help ^^

#17 NorthenBeggar

NorthenBeggar

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:10 AM

Think it's fine to necro this. I'm running on XUbuntu 14.04 and Renewal works just fine here. Thing is, the mouse is stuck inside the Classic client's window (playing in 800x600 non full screen). Any solution?

#18 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:29 PM

Think it's fine to necro this. I'm running on XUbuntu 14.04 and Renewal works just fine here. Thing is, the mouse is stuck inside the Classic client's window (playing in 800x600 non full screen). Any solution?

Pinned threads are immortal. :lol:

I've added instructions for freeing the mouse pointer from the Classic client's control to the Tips section.

#19 NorthenBeggar

NorthenBeggar

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:11 PM

Pinned threads are immortal. :lol:

I've added instructions for freeing the mouse pointer from the Classic client's control to the Tips section.

Didn't notice that, and I thought I would get a notification when following a thread? >.>

Thanks. I will try it.

Edit: It's working. Thank you! :D

Edited by NorthenBeggar, 03 July 2014 - 10:14 PM.

#20 EpicGnome

EpicGnome

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:02 PM

Ubuntu 14.04.1

Funny I tried the work around to get the .msi file but it didn't work worth a darn this time for some reason. I got a 2011 installer and worked around an issue where it cant find a certain file. All updated and ready to go except now I get the  "Cannot init d3d or grf file has problem" Never had that issue before. Anyone else having that problem? I have all the d3ds installed via winetricks... And my graphics is fine since it played it before.

#21 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:46 AM

Ubuntu 14.04.1

Funny I tried the work around to get the .msi file but it didn't work worth a darn this time for some reason. I got a 2011 installer and worked around an issue where it cant find a certain file.

What happened when you ran the command?

All updated and ready to go except now I get the  "Cannot init d3d or grf file has problem" Never had that issue before. Anyone else having that problem? I have all the d3ds installed via winetricks... And my graphics is fine since it played it before.

I suggest you run Wine with verbose output enabled, which may provide clues as to the cause of the problem. To run the Renewal client in this manner, enter the following command in a terminal:

wine --verbose 'C:\CIF\Ragexe.exe' 1rag1

(CIF is the Windows path to the IRO client installation folder.)

Edited by Axylus, 13 August 2014 - 06:50 AM.

#22 EpicGnome

EpicGnome

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:10 AM

What happened when you ran the command?

I suggest you run Wine with verbose output enabled, which may provide clues as to the cause of the problem. To run the Renewal client in this manner, enter the following command in a terminal:

wine --verbose 'C:\CIF\Ragexe.exe 1rag1'

(CIF is the Windows path to the IRO client installation folder.)

At first it didn't save the .msi where I told it to, then it didn't even make a .msi leaving only the disk1.cab file. 

Running ragexe.exe manually from wine results in a generic error. I've tried that with both spaces and _ and get something along the lines of the following:

fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\--verbose.exe"

It usually isn't this big of a pain in the butt for me.

Edit: Downgraded to wine 1.6 and now I don't get the error. However, the window pops up all black and then stalls out requiring a force quit. Very curious.

Edited by EpicGnome, 13 August 2014 - 05:25 AM.

#23 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:48 AM

At first it didn't save the .msi where I told it to, then it didn't even make a .msi leaving only the disk1.cab file. 

Running ragexe.exe manually from wine results in a generic error. I've tried that with both spaces and _ and get something along the lines of the following:

wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\--verbose.exe"
It usually isn't this big of a pain in the butt for me.

Edit: Downgraded to wine 1.6 and now I don't get the error. However, the window pops up all black and then stalls out requiring a force quit. Very curious.

Oops! I made a couple of mistakes in my previous post. Firstly, the --verbose option appears to only exist in the CrossOver fork of Wine. The standard version of Wine only supports the WINEDEBUG environment variable, which is difficult to use effectively if you're not a Wine developer. Secondly, the path of the Renewal client programme and "1rag1" should have been separate parameters.

You could try using the following command, but be warned that its output may be massive:

WINEDEBUG=warn+d3d wine 'C:\CIF\Ragexe.exe' 1rag1

For example, on my computer, I would use the following command (because I customised the installation path of the IRO client):

WINEDEBUG=warn+d3d wine 'C:\Program Files\Gravity Interactive\Ragnarök Online\Ragexe.exe' 1rag1

Edited by Axylus, 13 August 2014 - 07:07 AM.

#24 EpicGnome

EpicGnome

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:20 AM

Oops! I made a couple of mistakes in my previous post. Firstly, the --verbose option appears to only exist in the CrossOver fork of Wine. The standard version of Wine only supports the WINEDEBUG environment variable, which is difficult to use effectively if you're not a Wine developer. Secondly, the path of the Renewal client programme and "1rag1" should have been separate parameters.

You could try using the following command, but be warned that its output may be massive:

WINEDEBUG=warn+d3d wine 'C:\CIF\Ragexe.exe' 1rag1

For example, on my computer, I would use the following command (because I customised the installation path of the IRO client):

WINEDEBUG=warn+d3d wine 'C:\Program Files\Gravity Interactive\Ragnarök Online\Ragexe.exe' 1rag1

Using that updated to fit how my system is set up I get the following:

Error message: No ClientInfo File !! , then a ResetTheHotKey message: attempt to call a nil value. then a queryRegioninfo window with the same attempt to call a nil value which just keeps repeating itself till I close the terminal. Something must be very very wrong >_>... I may have to wait or look into purchasing crossover instead of using default wine.

~$ WINEDEBUG=warn+d3d wine 'C:\Program Files\Gravity\Ragnarok Online\Ragexe.exe' 1rag1 

Edited by EpicGnome, 13 August 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#25 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:01 AM

Using that updated to fit how my system is set up I get the following:

Error message: No ClientInfo File !! , then a ResetTheHotKey message: attempt to call a nil value. then a queryRegioninfo window with the same attempt to call a nil value which just keeps repeating itself till I close the terminal. Something must be very very wrong >_>... I may have to wait or look into purchasing crossover instead of using default wine.

~$ WINEDEBUG=warn+d3d wine 'C:\Program Files\Gravity\Ragnarok Online\Ragexe.exe' 1rag1 

Er, actually, you need to change the working directory before running the command. Try using the following pair of commands instead:

cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Gravity/Ragnarok\ Online
WINEDEBUG=warn+d3d wine Ragexe.exe 1rag1

Sorry! I probably should stop replying to posts when I'm half-asleep. :blush:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users