1/15 Les Baxter Memorial Maintenance - Renewal Patch Notes - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

1/15 Les Baxter Memorial Maintenance

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
249 replies to this topic

#1 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

One of the earliest pioneer of Exotica music, Les Baxter was born in Texas and grew up in Detroit. Influenced by the musicians of the Big Band scene. Starting out in the music industry, he came in contact with Mel Torme and Artie Shaw, the latter of which was an amazing bandleader who was already experimenting with music inspired by African and South American rythmns. He would make his first big break arranging music for a album with the theramin as it's highlight instument. 

His next big work Yma Sumac's Xtabay. To go into the history of this amazing Peruvian singer would be a maintenance notes in itself, but her crazy four octave range and distinctive voice was a perfect combo  with Baxter's orchestration. Think the singer from The Fifth Element. 

What would cause Baxter to explode in a big way to the music scene was his record: le sacre du savage (Ritual of the Savage) which contains perhaps my favorite song of all time: Quiet Village. This would be the first shot in a volley of music based on exotic music from around the world and which would ride the wave of Polynesian pop culture for nearly two decades. His records would take listeners on a sonic journey through time and space, to foreign locales they might never visit and fantasy worlds that exist only in Science Fiction. 

Though the genre and his status had diminished in the 70s and 80s, a resurgence of interest in his work and of Exotica came in the 1990s before his passing in January of 1996. He and Martin Denny were the twin stars that the lounge music world revolved around for many years, and I'm proud to own at least a few of his vinyls. 

Early notes for next week: 

Christmas Quest and decorations, music depart 

Alchemist list will be reset on the 22nd. 

Raffler NPC departs

Lutie Spotlight ends, Juno Spotlight begins

Turn ins for this week: 

• 70-100 Pasana / Elder
  • 101-125 Loli Ruri / Draco
  • 126-150 Miming / Angra Mantis

Cat Hand Agent in Eden Group has been moved away from the stairs and can now be found behind the Eden HQ desk. 

jX9Yp7J.jpg

1/10 BIG NEWS: Just received word that we will be receiving the battlegrounds update/queue system later this month!

Dead Branch cool down is disappearing and they are being re-enabled on prt_fild08 on a trial basis. Please don't go chasing novices. Stick to the rivers and bridges you are used 

#2 KamiKali

KamiKali

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 5143 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

wow this

•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

mantis thread is early

#3 thatfool

thatfool

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1909 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russia

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

interesting

#4 Darksorrow1234

Darksorrow1234

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2996 posts
  • Server:Chaosss

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

woot juno spotlight 

#5 ShinobiEX3

ShinobiEX3

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6862 posts
  • LocationForest

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

Investments?

#6 Rotine

Rotine

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 755 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

OMG guys please vote for Kafra in the dungeon election next week. I'd love a warp to Nogg2

#7 azumak1

azumak1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1347 posts
  • Server:Chaos!

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

OMG guys please vote for Kafra in the dungeon election next week. I'd love a warp to Nogg2

A couple days ago, I used Nogg2 warp ... when it resets, Kafra likely won't offer the 3rd warp, and Cool Event will (Glast Heim) so hopefully we can get it back to Nogg2 shortly after the spotlight.  I'll be voting on 15-ish characters and can call in a friend if it's not enough.

This is key though: if during the next voting round Kafra offers 2 out of 3 warps, Cool Event MUST win or next time Kafra will only offer 1 warp!

#8 Rotine

Rotine

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:27 PM

A couple days ago, I used Nogg2 warp ... when it resets, Kafra likely won't offer the 3rd warp, and Cool Event will (Glast Heim) so hopefully we can get it back to Nogg2 shortly after the spotlight.  I'll be voting on 15-ish characters and can call in a friend if it's not enough.

This is key though: if during the next voting round Kafra offers 2 out of 3 warps, Cool Event MUST win or next time Kafra will only offer 1 warp!

Cool Event holds the warp right now, and voting is before the maint so we can definitely get Nogg2 after this maint.

Edited by Rotine, 09 January 2014 - 09:27 PM.

#9 azumak1

azumak1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1347 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

Cool Event holds the warp right now, and voting is before the maint so we can definitely get Nogg2 after this maint.

Nice! So it must've reset within a couple days ago, perfect!  This was probably my favorite spotlight from last year, I'm pumped.

#10 Jason231294

Jason231294

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:51 PM

Now if you put investments?

Please,Tnks!!!!!

#11 killedbytofu

killedbytofu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2212 posts
  • Server:a laggy one

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:06 AM

we just had Juno spotlight a couple months ago....

whats up with all these low level spotlights? the only way this one will be good is if you include Magma Dungeon in the spotlight as well. 

at least now well have another place to level our homunculus again. the lutie spotlight was the biggest waste ever

#12 jsquishy

jsquishy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:35 AM

are we gona get a groove box with armor certs?

#13 albaoregine

albaoregine

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:22 AM

lovely =)

#14 OniichanN

OniichanN

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1812 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:05 AM

we just had Juno spotlight a couple months ago....

whats up with all these low level spotlights? the only way this one will be good is if you include Magma Dungeon in the spotlight as well. 

at least now well have another place to level our homunculus again. the lutie spotlight was the biggest waste ever

Uh, if by couple of months ago you mean over a year ago, then yes, "a couple of months ago".

http://www.playragna...aspx?id=231&p=5

I too hope magma dungeon will be included in the spotlight. :3

#15 Erydanos

Erydanos

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1159 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:25 AM

Wait,wait,wait! So...everytime one of the Corps. win an election consecutively, they offer less warps?... :p_omg:

On a totally unrelated note...anyone knows how the Cool Event NPC's at Alberta work? (the pair just east of the spawn) because I found out I had earned a Food Pack, but I don't remember  doing anything.

#16 thatfool

thatfool

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1909 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russia

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:39 AM

nvm

Edited by thatfool, 10 January 2014 - 07:40 AM.

#17 TattooedChef

TattooedChef

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 531 posts
  • LocationSeventh level of Hell

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

any chance on a homunc event? it has been way too long since we had one

#18 Weazy15

Weazy15

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 964 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California
  • Server:Chaos (Renewal)

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:45 AM

Juno Spotlight! :) However... there are tons of bots leveling back there.. on the grand pecopeco / goat area. (not the harpy ones)

#19 Sapphic

Sapphic

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 2660 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

Oda pris fix 2.0 castles. They're still hilariously messed up. Before Sat woe, preferably.

#20 bloodyrascal

bloodyrascal

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2543 posts
  • Location.
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

1. Lutie Spotlight ends, Juno Spotlight begins

2. 1/10 BIG NEWS: Just received word that we will be receiving the battlegrounds update/queue system later this month!

1. Does Juno Spotlight means Nogg Road Spotlight, too?

2. Now that's something.

#21 Toxn

Toxn

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3511 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:21 AM

Oda pris fix 2.0 castles. They're still hilariously messed up. Before Sat woe, preferably.

Oda's WP status:

We are going to be doing a restart of Chaos at 12:30pm to fix the Woe 2 Castle Ownership and investments.

#22 RunningWild

RunningWild

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

YEAAAAAH JUNO SPOTLIGHT!!!!

I hope Nogg Road is included.

#23 azumak1

azumak1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1347 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

Yep, Nogg/Magma Dungeon are definitely part of Juno spotlight. Last year, I leveled RG from ~105 to ~125 there... lots of actual parties, too.  It gets intense!

Wait,wait,wait! So...everytime one of the Corps. win an election consecutively, they offer less warps?... 

Yes, that's quite correct. It's best to have them alternate each week so that Glast Heim or Nogg2 will always be available.  Not only that, but one consecutive win makes an extra week on top of that- waiting for the next vote, burning the alternate service once, then going back takes 2 weeks. 

#24 Toxn

Toxn

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3511 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

1/10 BIG NEWS: Just received word that we will be receiving the battlegrounds update/queue system later this month!

Hnnnnng. About god damn time.

#25 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

We'll be receiving the battlegrounds update/queue system later this month!

FINALLY.

Edited by Jaye, 10 January 2014 - 12:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users