[Updated 11/12] HiRes Loading Screens - Creative Contraptions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

[Updated 11/12] HiRes Loading Screens

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 gamnark

gamnark

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:01 PM

Back to playing RO after a 2 year break, and I'm loving some of these new loading screens!
I was a little disappointed in the graphics quality in-game though, so I researched how to replace them with higher resolution versions. I decided to go with 1280x960 as it's exactly 2x the standard loading screen size.

Some images I've re-composited, others I've just scaled up from forum submissions. I've also optimized them for RO's color bit depth, so there's less banding in the gradients.

A few examples from in-game. Top is the default loading screens, bottom is the upscaled version.
loading04.jpg
Spoiler

I'll be updating this thread as patches come out. I have trouble making some look as good (especially hand-colored ones), so I replace those with other recent submissions from these forums.

Here's the link: 
2014 Nov. 12th

Archive:
Spoiler

To install, unzip into the skins folder in the Ragnarok directory, then launch the game and go to Options-> Video Configutation-> Skin-> HiRes Loading Screens.
If you already use a custom skin, just copy the "loadingxx.jpg" files from the zip into your skin.

All images copyright their respective owners.

Edited by gamnark, 14 November 2014 - 03:41 AM.

#2 MintRoyale

MintRoyale

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1724 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:28 AM

thank you very very much ^^

what you have done is very much appreciated XD

reputation score +1 :heh:

#3 gamnark

gamnark

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:34 AM

Updated with some better in-game examples. Thanks for your thanks! ;)

I'll update this topic with new versions as patches come out.

#4 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

Oh, if you would like larger sized loading screens, I can definitely provide them (still could use some photoshop/gimp cleaning up I'm sure) in a larger format. We have to shrink them down to get the game client to properly display them but I still have the originals. 

#5 IlliterateGaming

IlliterateGaming

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 680 posts
  • LocationYouTube & Twitch.tv
  • Server:Chaos & Loki

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

Amazing, that is a really significant difference in quality

#6 gamnark

gamnark

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

Oh, if you would like larger sized loading screens, I can definitely provide them (still could use some photoshop/gimp cleaning up I'm sure) in a larger format. We have to shrink them down to get the game client to properly display them but I still have the originals. 

That'd be awesome! I can take care of the cleanup. I'd love to have them in psd format with the type layers vectorized (In photoshop that's Layer->Type->Convert to Shape. I haven't worked in GIMP in forever, but it looks like Layer->Text->Text to Path would do it.)

I'll take any higher quality format I can get though. ;)

#7 gamnark

gamnark

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

New version out for the 2/26 patch. Only one replacement this time- I'm getting better at this, haha.

I may update again before the next patch if Oda supplies those high quality ones.

#8 gamnark

gamnark

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:11 PM

New one for 3/19 patch.

http://www.mediafire...ens-Mar2014.zip

3 substitutions this time, sort-of. Two of these were in the patch, but the game client isn't displaying them. Seems to be hard-coded for 20 screens max?

Nevermind, problem on my end. Forgot to let my test copy update, haha! I'll upload a new version in a few moments. 3 substitutions. *Upload finished*

Props to Oda for helping me with some of the fonts for the official loading screens.

Edited by gamnark, 20 March 2014 - 12:01 AM.

#9 gamnark

gamnark

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

Updated for 4/23 patch.

http://www.mediafire...ens-Apr2014.zip

Two substitutions this time. Enjoy!

#10 gamnark

gamnark

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:15 PM

Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy week.
Updated for the 5/28 patch.
http://www.mediafire...ens-May2014.zip

One substitution this time. Enjoy!

#11 gamnark

gamnark

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:10 AM

That was quick! I'm waiting to hear if there's high resolution versions of the Glastheim memorial loading screens, will update after I find out.

#12 Lyrage

Lyrage

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • LocationWherever there's less bots.

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

Thanks for the HiRes images! They look really good at my desktop! :thx:

#13 gamnark

gamnark

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

Glad you like 'em! These aren't really the best for desktop wallpapers since I run filters to make them look better in-game. Oda sometimes uploads batches of the 1024x768 loading screens for that purpose though, when he remembers.
If there's one you really like in the meantime, let me know and I can send you a hi-res unfiltered copy.

Now updated with the latest screens. No substitutions this time!

http://www.mediafire...ens-Jul2014.zip

Edited by gamnark, 02 July 2014 - 07:09 PM.

#14 gamnark

gamnark

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:16 AM

Hey guys, long time no see. Sorry for the delay, I've been busy with other things.
There's some great new loading screens this month! So here's my upscaled versions:

http://www.mediafire...ens-Sep2014.zip

No substitutions this time.

#15 gamnark

gamnark

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:11 AM

Wow, so many awesome loading screens this month! And more to come soon!

http://www.mediafire...ens-Oct2014.zip

This batch was pretty quick to do, as almost all of them were submitted this size. Just a few tweaks on a few.
No substitutions, plus 1 extra!

Just a reminder of why you should be using these:
halloween_example.png

Edited by gamnark, 16 October 2014 - 02:47 AM.

#16 neko1231

neko1231

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:22 AM

I can't bear it when seeing my work in such a low quality being a loading screen.... why don't we employ this technique automatically when we update new patch :sob:

#17 gamnark

gamnark

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:00 PM

I can't bear it when seeing my work in such a low quality being a loading screen.... why don't we employ this technique automatically when we update new patch :sob:

This method is kind of a kludge, but it might be possible. It'd basically double the GM/CM's workload just for loading screens though, and I'd bet patch time is hectic enough as-is. Also, anyone using a custom skin would have to copy over the pictures manually each time.
The real solution is for kRO to support higher resolution loading screens natively, and to bring that over to iRO.

#18 neko1231

neko1231

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:32 AM

Any thing I can do with my submission to make the quality a bit better after compressed to be a loading screen?

I saw my loading screen has much worse quality than others.... :sob:

#19 gamnark

gamnark

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:44 PM

I've seen some come out much worse, but yeah the default one doesn't do your art justice. (http://www.screensho...omparison/96350)

Congrats on 2nd place by the way!

The problem with how the loading screens are added to the game is threefold. I'll try to give you a few tips on how to mitigate it, but your mileage may vary.

1. The art is scaled down to 640x480
Avoid adding fine details, they'll be lost or hard to make out when scaled. A single pixel line or dot will likely just become a smudge.

Diagonal lines may become jagged when scaled up again by the game client.

2. They're heavily compressed with JPEG to fit within 100KB
This is probably the biggest culprit, and harder to work around. Some compression artifacts are unavoidable as far as I know. And again, fine details will be wiped out.

JPEG really hates gradients. Try to use solid colors when you can, which also helps with the 3rd problem.

Also, be sure to save your art using PNG, which is pixel-perfect, as saving in JPEG will make it go through the compression artifact-inducing process twice. (I see that you do, but just a note for others.)

3. The color bit depth of the game is effectively 15bit

This means the game uses 5 bits per channel, as opposed to Photoshop's default 8 bits/channel.

Simply said, the game just doesn't have a big enough color palette to color the art the way we paint it.

Gradients will become bands of color (See the Don't Buy Zeny screen above), and similar colors next to each other may be displayed as one.

Again, minimize gradients (which also includes blurs and drop shadows), and try to use contrasting colors to separate edges when you can.

One way to check to see if the colors will look right in-game is to try viewing it in "Indexed Color" mode, which brings it down to 256 colors/8bit, which is 3 bits per channel. Scrunch3y submitted his this way.

He used dithering though, so the result wasn't perfect.

Dithering would be good– I use dithering in these HiRes loading screen packs to avoid the gradient banding. The problem with using dithering on a submission is problem #1 though- the images are scaled to 640x480, which turns all of the 1 pixel dithering marks into smudges.

If you do submit an indexed color-ed artwork, include a link to the original RGB color one too please! I have extra tricks I can use for making these HiRes ones look good.

I hope this helps. 

Edited by gamnark, 17 October 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#20 neko1231

neko1231

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:26 PM

Thanks! I didn't notice the result until seeing your post :heh:

#21 gamnark

gamnark

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:45 AM

Hey everyone, here's this month's pack– some more great Halloween screens!

http://www.mediafire...ens-Nov2014.zip

No substitutions, just a couple of tweaks on a few that weren't submitted in the correct aspect ratio. Enjoy!

#22 Lyrage

Lyrage

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • LocationWherever there's less bots.

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:24 AM

Bump! Moar HiRes plox! :D

#23 gamnark

gamnark

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:15 PM

Bump! Moar HiRes plox! :D

Haha, sorry guys. Been busy the last few months. I'm not playing RO at the moment, but I'll try to get some Hi-Res packs together soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users