I Miss the old iRO Website - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

I Miss the old iRO Website

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

:sob:

The site database: http://web.archive.o.../runlibrary.asp

Those screenshot captions: http://web.archive.o...ist.asp?Page=7

It looked so much brighter and friendlier than the current dark and dank site.

#2 Erydanos

Erydanos

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1159 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

I never had the chance to see the past website, but it looked pretty.

And oh God...those screenshot captions! Totally awesome. :ani_awsm:

#3 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9782 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

i used the crap outta the old database when i first started... good times...

#4 Mikril

Mikril

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

The old old one was best. The one that had the poring in the banner that exploded if you clicked on it.

Edit: It's not in the web archive, but the website was similar to the basic client skin if I remember correctly. Mostly white and blue.

Edited by Mikril, 20 February 2014 - 01:24 PM.

#5 Zeniachan

Zeniachan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 389 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, United States
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

I agree with you Zero, it was so cute and fun to navigate and actually had a good bit of helpful information on it. Although I wasn't crazy about the FreeBBS thing...the forums we have now (and even the old forums for iRO) are way better than that was. It was always full of angry people, sort of like the forums can be sometimes, but without the helpful, fun, insightful and constructive posts. Most of the time people would complain about lag and stuff. Oh and official responses on that old thing were EXTREMELY limited. There was no CM Oda or CM Heimdallr back then (or at least, not one that actually interacted with players.)

Does anyone remember that contest on the old forums (after it replaced the FreeBBS) where people created that animated avatar for Heimdallr? And the winning avatar had like a poring coffee cup that he viciously devoured by entangling it with his tongue and crunching the mug along with it, then giving the thumbs up sign? Haha that was great xDD

#6 WarlockFier

WarlockFier

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Silph Road

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

I remember the site when RO first launched.. (before iRO booted asia region out of it's server) It was kind of similar? But I always liked these old layout more and the white background over dark and black. Taiwan's RO website is pretty nifty too!

#7 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

The old old one was best. The one that had the poring in the banner that exploded if you clicked on it.
Edit: It's not in the web archive, but the website was similar to the basic client skin if I remember correctly. Mostly white and blue.

http://web.archive.o.../runlibrary.asp

The Flash element doesn't work anymore. :( Months ago you could at least see the first frame where it's the street of Prontera (before all the other characters came on screen along with the Poring).

Does anyone remember that contest on the old forums (after it replaced the FreeBBS) where people created that animated avatar for Heimdallr? And the winning avatar had like a poring coffee cup that he viciously devoured by entangling it with his tongue and crunching the mug along with it, then giving the thumbs up sign? Haha that was great xDD

Hastur had a contest, too, but he never changed his... <_<

#8 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10262 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

I agree with you Zero, it was so cute and fun to navigate and actually had a good bit of helpful information on it. Although I wasn't crazy about the FreeBBS thing...the forums we have now (and even the old forums for iRO) are way better than that was. It was always full of angry people, sort of like the forums can be sometimes, but without the helpful, fun, insightful and constructive posts. Most of the time people would complain about lag and stuff. Oh and official responses on that old thing were EXTREMELY limited. There was no CM Oda or CM Heimdallr back then (or at least, not one that actually interacted with players.)

If I'm not mistaken I believe that it was Ultimate(?) who created the animated coffee gif for Heim. 

The BBS was monstrous, where the only way to keep a post on the first page was to bump it, so account suspension, tech support and other issues were far to easy to lose track of. 

And yes, there was a lot of anger back then (even now is quite tame). My goal in being the CM for RO is to shrink the wall of secrecy that led to a lot of mistrust between us and the community. 

I do miss the flash animation with the different characters walking down the street in Prontera. 

#9 Mikril

Mikril

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

http://web.archive.o.../runlibrary.asp

The Flash element doesn't work anymore. :( Months ago you could at least see the first frame where it's the street of Prontera (before all the other characters came on screen along with the Poring).

Hastur had a contest, too, but he never changed his... <_<

Ah, 2006. That was a lot later then... But I also seem to recall a much thinner banner with a poring that bounced along. Maybe I'm mistaken.

I frequented the freeBBS pretty often and found it easy to use. It had helpful regulars and it wasn't really a big mess. Of course there was also only one version of the game at that time.

#10 Zeniachan

Zeniachan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 389 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, United States
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

If I'm not mistaken I believe that it was Ultimate(?) who created the animated coffee gif for Heim. 

The BBS was monstrous, where the only way to keep a post on the first page was to bump it, so account suspension, tech support and other issues were far to easy to lose track of. 

And yes, there was a lot of anger back then (even now is quite tame). My goal in being the CM for RO is to shrink the wall of secrecy that led to a lot of mistrust between us and the community. 

I do miss the flash animation with the different characters walking down the street in Prontera. 

Ultimate is awesome ;)

I remember the tech support section. People would just post their Gravity Error Handler dumps in there without any description of what they were doing when it happened. I guess they assumed that the "tech wizards" could use their programming magic to solve all their problems just from seeing their client's error data dump...it's kind of unrealistic, but many people are not that technologically inclined, so I can see why they'd assume that. Then that created further issues because those posts clogged up the BBS when there were other posts that gave clearer explanations of their problems. x_x

You and the other CMs have absolutely been doing a great job as of late with keeping in touch with the community, and I applaud you for that! Also, definitely continue that "This Week in Ragnarok" series on WarpPortal's Youtube channel. I think it's a great idea and hope to see more of that in the future as well!

#11 ShiveringShadows

ShiveringShadows

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 853 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

I'll just leave this behind for anyone who might still remember. Seems the archiving process didn't work out so well for the original website.

#12 Izzy1

Izzy1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1793 posts
  • LocationU.K
  • Server:Chaos Renewal - Smokies

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:29 PM

ahh look what I found!!

susp.jpg

Look at all those suspended accounts! O_O http://web.archive.o...qNo=732&mNum=0

Edited by Izzy1, 20 February 2014 - 02:33 PM.

#13 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

Would it be possible to do a throwback version of the iRO website for April Fool's or something? :P Even if the database isn't updated, it'd still be nice to mess around with.

#14 Mikril

Mikril

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:04 PM

ahh look what I found!!

That was the best feature on the old site. I used to check that list all the time to see who was botting on Sakray.

#15 Izzy1

Izzy1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1793 posts
  • LocationU.K
  • Server:Chaos Renewal - Smokies

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

That was the best feature on the old site. I used to check that list all the time to see who was botting on Sakray.

I used to browse it a lot to see when my reports got through and banned the bots I reported!

#16 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10262 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:33 PM

Would it be possible to do a throwback version of the iRO website for April Fool's or something? :P Even if the database isn't updated, it'd still be nice to mess around with.

You never know...

#17 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:37 PM

I just want that old Flash header back so I can pop the Poring with my mouse again. XD

#18 D111

D111

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4543 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

We sincerely appreciate that ODA, you guys have done a great job in my Opinion of dedicating effort and time to such an old game.

Most companies would have let it die, but you guys are doing what it takes to keep it alive and Growing.

Thank you

#19 ikeren

ikeren

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 508 posts
  • Locationchicity
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:37 PM

The main site now just does not fit the spirit of RO at all. 

Pls make it at least a tad more happier. ;_; This isn't another angsty wow clone ffs. 

#20 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

The main site now just does not fit the spirit of RO at all. 
Pls make it at least a tad more happier. ;_; This isn't another angsty wow clone ffs.

Exactly! The current site looks so generic and lifeless. The old site had more character to it (and that popping Poring).

I also prefer seeing the old concept art of the job classes over the chibi art they have right now.

#21 Sapphic

Sapphic

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 2660 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

Didn't they say somewhere that they don't even control the website anymore lol?

#22 NorthenBeggar

NorthenBeggar

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:37 PM

They look better, in my opinion. The information provided in the current iRO website is lacking as well. :<

#23 CharAznable

CharAznable

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2716 posts
  • LocationWest Pront
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:38 PM

can just make screenshot section on forum

#24 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:43 PM

can just make screenshot section on forum

GMs make better-looking screenshots. And it wouldn't be the same without the funny captions.

#25 NorthenBeggar

NorthenBeggar

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:03 PM

ahh look what I found!!

susp.jpg

That crusader reminds me of the early art styles of Ragnarok Online. Some cute chibi and cool realistic illustrations. I don't really like the new sharp anime-ish half-naked stick-figure style.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users