New player looking for a bit of guidance. - New Player Zone and General Guides - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

New player looking for a bit of guidance.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ilindith

Ilindith

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1451 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

Hello everyone.

Posting here to get a bit of advice on a few things, mostly equipment.

I am relatively new to this game. This is not the first time I've played RO since it went free to play but it is the first time I get this far on a character. I am currently a Rogue (base 95 and job 50). I've been pretty much just following the eden quests for experience and acquired the gear from those also. Up to 80 everything was relatively easy, no major problems, but as I get higher I find it difficult to to hunt the monsters required for the eden quests. So I kind of had to fall back to lower level areas where mobs are easier, but the exp is getting rather...slow.

Looking at the irowiki database I'm falling farther and farther beind on required hit/flee values for the mobs you need to hunt. Some of it I believe comes from maybe using stats a bit too much on things I shouldn't have. Currently my build is STR 60, AGI 84, VIT 50, INT 1, DEX 49, VIT 20. I was mostly following the Dagger Gank build from here http://irowiki.org/wiki/Rogue#Builds but from what I've been seeing on forums recently I should have probably ignored VIT completly for anything pre 3rd class and LUK also. Last time I played, there was a one time free stat reset in the eden headquarters that I used on my blacksmith (my character back then). Is there still something like that around? I couldn't find the same guy in the eden headquarters and the other option I found I simply cannot afford (magical stones for the npc in payon).

I also realize at this point better equipment would most certainly help a lot. As I previously mentionned, I basically only have the eden equipment, except that I got myself a +5 triple hurricane gladius with the funds I had left over from that old blacksmith. Right now I have 12mil gathered and I am wondering what would be the best things to purchase at this point to help me get to 99 to rebirth and help me level up to 3rd class after that is done.

Any help/advice appreciated :)

#2 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:17 AM

There's now a free below-99 reset npc in Izlude. I don't think he does stats though, only skills.

your stat mistake is only getting a bit too much vit (I think 30 would be the most I'd want at that level), too much luk (should have 11 tops). not a lot of poorly allocated stats - I think your problem is more that you're new and your gear is weak. What gears do you have, and what if any enchants?

Have you gotten the final Eden Dagger, and gotten it enchanted? This is good and free

Another good weapon is the Grimtooth, especially if you can get a pair of fighting spirit enchants on it from malangdo. 

I think the only way to reset stats is with the stones. 

Have you started trying to get into Gramps turnin quests? You should try that, especially if you're VIP - I've been in there, and they don't seem to be terribly exclusive about who they let into parties (though some of these parties aren't models of monster-massacring efficiency). Plus, they give eden merit badges, which you can trade in for magic stones.

Edited by DrAzzy, 14 March 2014 - 06:21 AM.

#3 Ilindith

Ilindith

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1451 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

I used that one, sadly it was only skills. Still useful though.

As for the stats it does seem after a bit of research that I went too far on the vit, most of the builds outside that one on the wiki suggest pretty much nothing in there or in luk and to just pump the agi very high. Which seems logical now after playing it to 95 because I don't really have any reliable aoe skills to level with and I just end up killing mobs one on one. Crits from luk also don't seem to mix well with double attack. Feels like I end up with lower dps as I do not get double attacks whenever I crit?

Now for the gear, I think it is really my main problem, as I mentionned, I only have the eden gear (helm/garment/armor/boots) and a +5 Triple Hurricane Gladius that I purchased with leftover funds from that last time I played. I know I should upgrade things...but I really have no idea what to go for. Everything I see seems to cost more than all the zeny I ever had and I'm not even sure what would be good for me or not.

Gramps I have not done at all as it was (I think) 8 turn-ins for a single stone and I would need 3 (maybe 4 now) to have a stat reset, felt a little too long. Especially so close to a stat reset from rebirth anyway. Would be faster to just tough it out to 99 on low mobs in my current situation than to go through that many turn-ins I think.

#4 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:38 AM

Uh, the gramps turnins also give lots of experience - you do them for the exp, not the badges (well, okay, most people do it for exp, not badges), the badges are just extra. 

#5 Ilindith

Ilindith

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1451 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

Well last time I looked at the gramps mobs it was something I didn't think I could efficiently hunt 400 of by looking at their stats/location on the database. But you just made me look again and the mobs this week seem quite a lot easier. I might give it a try.

Still completly lost on the equipment situation though.

#6 Snorlitax

Snorlitax

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:18 PM

The Gramps quests work like this: he sends you to a special map where those monsters are abundant and the place is mobby. You put up a chat (or enter one) and then you get into a party, where there's healers and tanks and other people, so it's not like you have to kill the 400 on your own. Since the place is mobby, the 400 count goes so much faster than if you were on your own. It's really worth it.

Of course you can go to the actual fields/dungeons, find the monsters and kill them yourself, but it will be slower. You can still do the turn in quests, and then when you're done go level normally if you want.

Zeny wise, I think it's really really important to make your own merchant on another account. At least until he has the basic skills to 10 (Discount, Overcharge and Vending). 

As for the equipment, I'm sorry, I don't know much on this topic. Anyone?

EDIT: also, leveling on monsters that are Small size helps, because using daggers you will do 100% damage to those. Maybe you will find this leveling guide useful: http://forums.warppo...de-for-renewal/

Edited by Snorlitax, 21 March 2014 - 05:24 PM.

#7 Ilindith

Ilindith

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1451 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:16 AM

Interesting, I had no idea it could send you to a different map to complete it, I thought it was like all the other eden quests, just much longer.

My first character was a merchant so I have that covered, not that I'm making zeny fast but enough to cover consumables and then more depending on drops.

For the equipment, I grabbed random stuff showing up on ragial that had cheap prices and gave me some little bonuses to my important stats. And slotted a few cheap cards in there also. But still no idea what would be the best to aim for.

I've seen recommended gear in build guides but there's absolutely no way I can afford any of that stuff. Almost every single piece recommended is always worth many times all the zeny I ever had.

#8 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

Yeah - the Gramps TI's are where it's at for leveling. 

IME, you generally do not make money leveling, unless the monsters are unusually profitable (and people in gramps TI get annoyed if you spend time picking up items, because it slows down the killing). Making zeny and getting experience in RO are pretty much separate activities - though you do get the EMB's from gramps, which can be turned into reset stones and sold. This should push gramps TI into positive zeny territory, though not by much of a margin.

For gear - use eden group gear at first, and try to snag some of the cheap, useful shield cards (the -30% vs race for common races) or carded shields. For the cheap stuff, early on, buy on price - later on, when you're rich, buy  better shields and card them with the important resistance cards. Shield cards are probably the most affordable place to get useful benefits from that are better than eden gear. You're a flee class, so you'll also want to get something that gives you a flee bonus on garment (Whisper or Kavach card in something; Undershirt [1] is nice, because of the pairing with pantie... but kinda expensive). 

#9 Kandine

Kandine

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • Locationmorroc (45,107)
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:59 PM

For zenny, you can also start doing low and mid Reno quests (at Eden Second Floor) for some million zennies every 2 weeks. You'll probably get good EXP too since you can do Spring Rabbits for low, and Soldiers for mid. You also have a chance to get a Dragon Tail card, which is easily 8 million Zenny each. I forgot to mention that Reno can buff you for +10 atk/matk for 3 hours I think, and he will reward you with stones as well after every buff.

IMO no need to stat reset, since you're almost 99, just be patient! Patience is power. Putting VIT is OK for a non-trans character, it still helps not to die really fast. I had an Assassin (now SinX) and I put 60 VIT and only 80 AGI, and I don't recall dying at all during its Assassin days, compared to my first Assassin (now GX), that had 1 VIT and 99 AGI and it dies more frequently from mobs.

As for gears, you can enchant 3 of your Eden gears for extra bonus stats. 20 Used Iron plate per equip enchant and is repeatable every 24 hours. I could give you a few hundreds for you to use if you can find me in-game. It might be already late though since you are probably already level 99 or trans job when you can get your preferred enchants on the Eden gears.

Another alternative is to get Fricco's Shoes, Falcon Muffler, and +0 Odin's Blessing (with Remover Card) for your equips. That should pretty much last until third Job, the stats are also great! You can get those three equips for less than 2 million Zenny total, but ther Remover is kinda expensive though, so you can just swap it with other HP increasing card like PecoPeco/Pupa. The only gear I think that can beat that set without spending alot of money, is the enchanted Eden Set with your needed stats on it, like AGI/DEX/STR. a 4 Agi Eden Manteau II alone already has very good value for a non-funded character.

Yup, no mention about Gramp's TIS because I rarely do it because I lag terribly inside the dungeon when I face a party or I am in a party, so I actually started going there when I am a GX to solo but still, not all the time.

tl;dr version

1. Get Fricco's Set (Falcon Muffler, Fricco's Shoes, Odin's Blessing) if you do not have the set yet.

2. No need to stat reset, just be patient.

3. Start doing low and mid Reno's Quests at the Eden second floor

4. Get Reno's buffs as well

5. I rarely go to Gramps TI specially non-trans job, so I can't give any advice for that.

#10 Snorlitax

Snorlitax

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

You're a flee class, so you'll also want to get something that gives you a flee bonus on garment (Whisper or Kavach card in something; Undershirt [1] is nice, because of the pairing with pantie... but kinda expensive). 

What about Orc Baby Card? http://db.irowiki.or...item-info/4375/. Around 4m on Ragial atm.

EDIT: though it's true, he needs a +9 to get the full flee bonus =/ But the Kavach is like 15m atm. I guess you're right and Kavach is better.

Edited by Snorlitax, 10 April 2014 - 06:04 PM.

#11 Ilindith

Ilindith

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1451 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:27 PM

*snip*

Did not know of that quest on second floor, I'll give that a try and also a nice buff. I originally posted this thread a while ago and I have since then went through rebirth and reached 92 again as a stalker. So my stats are better now!

I would love to get a good card one day, I've only ever looted 2 of those since I started playing and they were both sadly 50k each. Spent a while on Turtle Island for the eden exp quests but I guess the dragon tails don't like me.

I have also since then moved away from the eden gear. But no idea if it was in a good direction or not, I ended up with better stats overall but I'm sure other equipment would have been better.

Currently wearing: Marionette Doll with Vanberk card, +5 Triple Andre Gladius, Formal Suit with Porcellio, Valkyrian Manteau with Condor, 2x Cat Hand Glove with Kukre/Mantis, Eden Boots IV and best of all, a Romantic Leaf.

I will definitely take a look at the gear and quest you mentionned, thank you for the tips!

For gear - use eden group gear at first, and try to snag some of the cheap, useful shield cards (the -30% vs race for common races) or carded shields. For the cheap stuff, early on, buy on price - later on, when you're rich, buy  better shields and card them with the important resistance cards. Shield cards are probably the most affordable place to get useful benefits from that are better than eden gear. You're a flee class, so you'll also want to get something that gives you a flee bonus on garment (Whisper or Kavach card in something; Undershirt [1] is nice, because of the pairing with pantie... but kinda expensive). 

Wouldn't using a shield lower my aspd by quite a bit? Survival doesn't seem like much of a problem right now. Unless I get too many mobs around me my flee is usually enough to keep stuff missing most of the time. I have no idea about things over 99 though.

Edited by Ilindith, 10 April 2014 - 06:31 PM.

#12 Kandine

Kandine

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • Locationmorroc (45,107)
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:01 PM

No need to enchant your Eden Gears or buy Fricco's set, as you might be actually downgrading if you ever do that, haha.

Yup! Romantic Leaf FTW, I hope it will be a costume sometime...

Beyond 99 you should be preparing for a Magical Stone for job change! :heh:

#13 Ilindith

Ilindith

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1451 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

It was actually a good boost to get those items, took me a few days to find boots though.

Didn't know about the stone for 3rd class, looks like I'll have to try and get 6-7mil by the time I'm 99. Back to almost nothing now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users