Questions about current state of ROSE Online - Newbie Zone - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Questions about current state of ROSE Online

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 4582140405111059403

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

Hi everyone! Ezalord from Draconis here.

I'm a returning player to ROSE (can't remember the last time I played the official version of the game but I was mostly active a very very long time ago, during the beta phase I believe. I've also played on private servers while the official was still P2P), mainly playing it out of sheer boredom and for nostalgia's sake. I'm not a big MMORPG fan but this game always had a certain something about it that made me like it back in the day, and I guess the fact that it made a part of my childhood is another reason for why I'm back once again. Although I don't intend to take the game too seriously, I've still got a lot of questions on my mind that I hope could be answered.

Just a note before I start, I won't be asking about the basics of "how to play". The game has changed a real lot since I last played, but I already have a general idea. On my own, I've been playing for about 14 hours now, and I'm currently sitting at level 39 (Muse going into Mage) from questing alone. Seeing as I've avoided grinding except for quest purposes so far, I'd think that's pretty good (although I'm not sure if it means anything in the current meta). As a reminder, I'm playing SOLO at the moment.

First off, how many people are currently active? I find it remarkable that a game that was never truly popular through its lifespan is still alive today and nearing its 10 year anniversary mark. What is it that keeps ROSE running? From what I have researched, most game guides are outdated (as the game is constantly changing, although content-wise, it still looks very much the same as I last remember it) and/or lacking in depth. This would lead me to believe that the community is not very active (unless I'm missing out on some secret archive of game info). If that is the case, how come ROSE is still in existence? I never hear anybody talking about it; I only decided to come back for my own reasons, and to my surprise I found out that it's even available for download from Steam yet I've never seen it mentioned anywhere. I know it's not exactly 2014 standard but it has its own merits, so why does it remain so low profile?

Secondly, is it even possible to get far when playing solo? With the lack of information out there I'd suppose that to learn more about the game, partying up would be a good idea. However, I feel that partying with other new players who are just as clueless as myself would probably lead to nowhere. If I were to continue playing by myself, what would be the best route to take to ensure efficient leveling and survival? At the moment I've been relying only on quests to level up which has been going good, but I also feel like I'm too weak (maybe Muse is not too strong of a class to solo?) for my level and that I will suffer in later levels. Also, if I ever get a clear idea of a character build, will I be able to make up for initial experimentation with stats/skills?

Lastly, what should I be looking forward to? I know there's cart driving at level 50 and castle gears later on, and three other planets to explore, but surely there are other reasons for me to keep leveling up. What kind of goals can I set for myself in order to enjoy the game even more? Most likely I'll be getting answers related to partying up, which I'm okay with, as long as I have a clear image of what to expect as I progress further. I noticed the item shop as well while I was playing, but didn't look into it so much. Is it any sign of the game becoming pay to win, or does it not affect gameplay all that much?

As a closing note, I'd just like to say that ROSE is a pretty simple and fun game. It always felt very casual to me which is something I appreciate. Seeing that it's still alive, I assume that there must be at least a few of you who are passionate about the game, developers included, so I feel like it would be awesome if you all put in a little extra to improve the game even further. That way, maybe it could get more recognition for being almost 10 years old, hehe. Thanks for reading and I hope to get some informative replies ;).

#2 Nifa

Nifa

Artisan Representative

• Members
  • 580 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:26 PM

Welcome Back~

1. Nobody knows how many people are active, but it's still a relatively small population. You'll pretty much get to know who everyone active and older than just a newbie to the game/server is. At least on Draconis. ROSE was launched on Steam about two Halloweens ago, which lead to a small surge in population. Not sure how many of those people stuck around, but we have been getting quite a few old, returning players lately (2+ year hiatus, etc.). A lot of the players don't know about or aren't active on the forums. They are currently working on a pretty big database update that will allow for lots of more, new, cool things. Maybe they can do more advertising after they get the database update done. There was some but not a ton of advertising when they did the big skill update a while ago which brought some more people in, but then a lot of old people quit because they didn't like the skill changes.

2. You can max out (lvl 230) by soloing, but after about lvl 120-140, soloing becomes very slow and quite annoyingly painful unless you need some mindless task to get your mind off the horrible day you just had. Mage will be very good for soloing/partying, especially once you can get aural pierce after job change at lvl 100, since most monsters have little to no mdef, and mages have lots of aoes. I first started when ROSE came to Steam and partied up with people equally clueless, and I would say it's actually more fun than partying with veterans, since you can explore everything and find stuff out for yourself instead of just being given the good places to level quickly. But you might be hardpressed to find enough newbies to party up like that now. If you want to continue soloing and are able to dual client, I would suggest making a cleric so that you can buff yourself. You can then hunt kings, which are pretty fun when it's difficult to stay alive. Lots of kiting and potting or quickly switching to the cleric to heal yourself. You won't really be able to experiment with skills/stats unless you buy a lot of resets or the class gets some more skill changes. If the class gets changed, they will provide you with 24hr skill/stat/unique skill resets. Otherwise, there is also the option of experimenting on Pegasus, but they would only load your current data the day before or day Pegasus opens for further testing.

3. Endgame PvM/PvE dungeon instances and PvP war instances (or just wars in Training Ground) can be pretty fun. But the Dungeons pretty much only run at 200+, and PvP war instances (mainly Crystal Defenders (CD)) only occur at 221+. I would suggest finding friends and a clan. Half the time, many of us just log on to chat with each other and do the occasional dungeon/CD. The Item Mall doesn't really affect gameplay aside from the IM Passive Skills, which they are hoping to either make it so that they only affect PvE or that the skills can also be obtained in-game (but with much much more difficulty). They have been working on moving the game away from the whole pay-to-win by making the Item Mall more of an instant convenience or access to pretty costumes.

You might find it surprising that some people take this game very seriously when it comes to PvP/wars and who is the best in their class, ehe. Trash talking can sometimes get pretty nasty.

The developing team is pretty tiny, and they work very hard on things we can't see~

#3 pdfisher

pdfisher

Champion Representative

• Members
  • 5246 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, in the heart of PA dutch country
  • Playing:ROSE Online
  • Server:Leonis

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

Once you reach level 50, you can go talk to Darren (the mayor of Junon Polis), and he will give you one free reset. If you made your character a little bit ago, you might have resets in your IM tab in skills. Those are good for 24 hours game time (except the unique skill reset is a once and done thing). Welcome back to Rose, I hope you have fun!.

#4 CoshaPasha

CoshaPasha

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:41 PM

I have a question, what if i'm aiming for a FS cleric, but at the moment I just wanna level say until level 120 or 130 without doing the 2nd job quest. At that level can I reset my stats/skill before doing the 2nd job quest or after, or how does that work?

THanks!

#5 pdfisher

pdfisher

Champion Representative

• Members
  • 5246 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, in the heart of PA dutch country
  • Playing:ROSE Online
  • Server:Leonis

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:47 AM

Yes, the free reset Darren offers is good anytime after level 50. But you only get one, so if you used it already, you don't have on anymore. If you have the free ones from Gravity in your IM skills, then the Skill and Stat Reset are good for 24 hours of gametime, not real time. And you can use them as often as you need to while they are there. The Unique Skill Reset in your IM skills is also good for 24 hours of gametime, or until you use it. I would do my reset after I did the second job quest, unless you feel your stats and/or skills are so messed up that you can't effectively level. I hope this helps CoshPasha!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users