Digital Media & Rose on MacBook questions :D - Creative Contraptions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Digital Media & Rose on MacBook questions :D

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DrunkinMonkey

DrunkinMonkey

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 630 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/Slothnessmonst1
  • LocationBrisbane / QLD / Australia (GMT+10)
  • Playing:ROSE Online
  • Server:There can be only one :D

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

I know this is kind of a mash up of questions but figured here is where I would get the best "help".

So Iv recently started doing a Diploma of Digital Media & Technology and was wondering if anyone else here had knowledge is such areas.

I will also be Getting the latest MacBook Pro 15" and have read that I can run rose on Mac using the duel boot software is this correct?

As this will be my 1st mac are there any free software programs I should look for that will ether help me with my course or are simply good to have on a Mac

cheers Mick

#2 Nifa

Nifa

Artisan Representative

• Members
  • 580 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:11 PM

Ugh Mac. I am a longtime Mac user but.. *barf*.

You can run Rose on a Mac by dualbooting Windows onto your Mac. You can also use virtualization software such as: Parallels (what I currently use), VirtualBox (barely runs since I last tested it a few months ago because 3D graphics wasn't quite working), VMWare (I personally do not like this and prefer Parallels to VMWare), and WINE (should work relatively fine, some various graphics things might be missing). VirtualBox is free while Parallels and VMWare are not. WINE is free, but it isn't really virtualization software..different thing. I love WINE, but it can be a little weird. For optimal performance, I would dual boot Windows onto the Mac. However, that means that you can't access the Mac side of the comp unless you log out of Windows. Parallels works fine, but it really eats up RAM (although not as much as Google Chrome --") and will run your CPU and Comp Fans really high. My fans generally have to run at 5100-5700 RPM, which is very very noisy, and probably not too healthy.

Not too sure what is involved in Digital Media and Technology, so I can't recommend any software. Might be able to if you could give a short description of what exactly you need.

#3 DrunkinMonkey

DrunkinMonkey

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:43 AM

thanks Nufa atm the 1st modules focus on Copyright and wh&s, but in the end of the course ill be doing databases, webdesign, 3d animation, video & sound editing, mobile phone applications & games...

Im told the mac is coming preloaded with the latest Adobe master collection .

but in all honesty never having a mac before I don't know what is out there for free to dl or even buy that's worth having in general or that will help my courses

#4 Nifa

Nifa

Artisan Representative

• Members
  • 580 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:16 AM

i made a fancy guide for running ROSE on Mac in case you still have questions on that: http://forums.warppo...-rose-on-a-mac/

You're sure taking on a ton of different projects.

Here are some random free apps: http://www.thriftmac.com/

3D animation: Blender (free)

Video/Sound editing: iMovie (comes with Mac OS, pretty crappy), Final Cut Pro, Audacity (sound only, free)

Mobile Applications/Games: If you're making Apple friendly things, you can use XCode. You'll need to install it from the OS CD, or you can make an Apple account and download it there. I've never coded something really big before, but I like using Aquamacs (Emacs text editor with an OSX interface)

Image Editing: Photoshop, GIMP (free)

Nope, Macs don't come with Adobe Creative Suites installed. You'll have to buy them or get them elsewhere. Since you're a student, you can probably get all of the Adobe programs for free through your school.

Will update with a better list of things when I can think of them.

(I also have a list of apps to customize the Mac, if you want. Like different battery icon, menu bar calendar, how to change the color of the menu bar and its text, keyboard launchers, etc.)

Edited by Nifa, 06 May 2014 - 10:14 AM.

#5 DrunkinMonkey

DrunkinMonkey

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:54 PM

thanks will look into it all lil anxious about it as never having used a MAC before :P and yea the adobe suite Cs6 comes from collage :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users