#1 mikeberserkr

mikeberserkr

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 571 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:37 AM

I dont know whats going on but i just saw this at my FB feed and will research more on this.

to the CM's: You may delete or lock this topic out if it seems inappropriate.

http://rt.com/news/1...net-neutrality/

https://dearfcc.org/dearfcc

#2 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:36 PM

That's pretty well made.

#3 ilovemilk

ilovemilk

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3452 posts
  • LocationMilky Way
  • Server:Offline

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:02 PM

Eff net neutrality.

Edited by ilovemilk, 25 May 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#4 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:16 PM

Eff net neutrality.

so youre against net neutrality? i personally would like net neutrality... otherwise internet providers can decide what web sites and services they want to charge more to use the internet...

#5 ilovemilk

ilovemilk

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3452 posts
  • LocationMilky Way
  • Server:Offline

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:13 PM

[quote name="Facekiller" post="1795920" timestamp="1401077815"]

so youre against net neutrality? i personally would like net neutrality... otherwise internet providers can decide what web sites and services they want to charge more to use the internet...
[/quote
I'm also with you. I think I got it backwards. Anyway what I should have said was that the greedy Internet service providers should enable access to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favoring or blocking particular products or websites.
So eff the fcc.

#6 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:33 PM

Imagine your connection to WP games being even worse than now.

That's what the destruction of net neutrality will mean.

#7 belld1711

belld1711

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1730 posts
  • LocationWhere ever you want me to be.
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:36 PM

Actually, the current problems with the internet service providers is that they are not categorized properly*. So they don't currently have to conform to net neutrality. This isn't the FCC's fault. They only have so much power when it comes to changing/updating laws, so the power to either change the law for the FCC or to give the FCC the power to change the laws lies with Congress. And they don't seem to be in a hurry to do either one. So for now, Time Warner, Comcast, etc have free reign to limit the speeds and services for specific websites and demand more money from those sites in return for better services. So it's Congress, not the FCC.

*This is just what I've heard so far. If my info is incorrect, please feel free to correct and inform me. Thanks.

#8 UnknownBeing

UnknownBeing

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:48 PM

The current proposed net neutrality rules is meant to cripple content providers like Netflix and YouTube by tow charging them by the amount of traffic going through the ISP's network.

It doesn't effect us much in general as they still do not have the power to discriminate traffic.

#9 Victoryblood

Victoryblood

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 434 posts
  • Server:Whatever we got

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:40 PM

ffff comcast

2e2oshi.jpg

#10 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:46 PM

The current proposed net neutrality rules is meant to cripple content providers like Netflix and YouTube by tow charging them by the amount of traffic going through the ISP's network.

It doesn't effect us much in general as they still do not have the power to discriminate traffic.

This pleases me.

#11 XIII_Eraser

XIII_Eraser

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1448 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:32 PM

That's not what I heard, of course they're going to say that "oh we're not going to slow other websites down" but of course in reality they're totally going to slow down websites that they don't like. Its like the NSA saying "oh we're not spying on american's" but in reality they're spying on american's and the whole world. Another thing, since Netflix and Youtube are big companies they are able to pay off the ISP for faster speeds or whatever their deal is but what about small companies that want to compete with Netflix or Youtube what about them? Those companies are going to be unable to pay off ISPs for faster speeds or they might even get slowed down because they're unable to pay the fee and thus this creates a monopoly for companies like Netflix or Youtube it kills the free market which is good. Now let's put this in a gaming perspective what if lets say big & famous games like WoW or LoL are able to pay for faster speeds and smaller games like RO are unable to pay for those faster speeds what will happen? I assume no matter how much you like RO if its laggy as hell you're going to get annoyed at some point and either quit RO and go for games that don't lag like WoW or LoL since they can pay ISPs OR just quit and move onto XboxOne/PS4. Now this is just my outlook on how I think that whole net neutrality is going down and if there's anything that I got wrong feel free to educate me.

Edit: Just so everyone knows the head of the FCC that OKd this whole anti net neutrality deal is a guy that works/used to work for comcast I think he was a lobbyist for comcast(Not completely sure). 

Edited by XIII_Eraser, 25 May 2014 - 11:36 PM.

#12 mikeberserkr

mikeberserkr

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:10 AM

im actually concerned as to how this will affect my online business... because i do make money online...

and also i am concerned about the future of iRO if they succeed (again)..... (yes they did succeed submitting bills already)

Edited by mikeberserkr, 26 May 2014 - 01:14 AM.

#13 belld1711

belld1711

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1730 posts
  • LocationWhere ever you want me to be.

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:25 AM

It doesn't affect us except the fact we'd have to spend 30 minutes watching a 10 minute video. Or getting errors when trying to make an online purchase. And when you try to make the purchase again, you'll see you got double charged on your next CC bill. Also imagine trying to download a game that's 500mb, only for it to take as long as RO. Wanna check email? Going to spend a full minute for each email to load, and if you use email a lot, that's a lot of time.

And if these websites do break down and pay the fees for better services, you think the websites are going to eat that cost? Or send it on down the line to us?

Nope, we won't feel the effects of this much at all...

#14 Darius14

Darius14

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1175 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:23 AM

#15 UnknownBeing

UnknownBeing

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:46 AM

Eh..it only targets content providers from what I know.

All the ISP's have to do is inflate the cost of the tow charging to the point where their competitors is forced to raise the price.

This net neutrality isn't the same from what was originally proposed.

Edited by UnknownBeing, 26 May 2014 - 09:48 AM.

#16 XIII_Eraser

XIII_Eraser

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1448 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:37 AM

Eh..it only targets content providers from what I know.

All the ISP's have to do is inflate the cost of the tow charging to the point where their competitors is forced to raise the price.

This net neutrality isn't the same from what was originally proposed.

Even at what is proposed where ISPs target only content providers such as Netflix, Hulu & Amazon you still shouldn't like what they are proposing because guess who's going to pay for that extra charge that the ISPs are charging the content providers, the customers are and thus the price for your Netflix, Hulu & Amazon will go up which I assume is not something everyone would want.

#17 UnknownBeing

UnknownBeing

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

Yeah that's the idea. Screwing their competitors and forcing them to price out consumers.

#18 Cleffy

Cleffy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2377 posts
  • Playing:Requiem

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

Net Neutrality is the biggest load of crock that the FCC has been trying to use in order to regulate the internet because they don't have the ability to regulate it currently. The best way to gain access to regulating something is making up some bull-_- story about how the corporate elites are abusing their monopolies in order to make profit gaining public support.

Giving better access to certain high paying clients makes less sense now than it did in 1990 because the access to broadband is so much greater. Its also not something you can actually do without severely compromising the speed of your network. How would they even be able to tell if a packet was from Netflix or not? The IP Protocol does not give any insight into this; the only ways are going into each and every packet and checking, or by limiting it to a certain port. The first one is implausible because they would not be able to offer Netflix a faster service since they are bogging down their systems. The second one just means you can move all your ports to the same one Netflix is using and push all your packets through the same faster lane.

On top of this no company owns a significant portion of the internet in the US. A large amount of pathways are owned by the FCC, then there are over a dozen major ISPs. Just because Comcast lets Netflix through their networks faster does not mean it will go as fast at Verizon's Data Exchange making the speed boost moot.

Edited by Cleffy, 27 May 2014 - 12:16 PM.

#19 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:55 PM

Net Neutrality is the biggest load of crock that the FCC has been trying to use in order to regulate the internet because they don't have the ability to regulate it currently. The best way to gain access to regulating something is making up some bull-_- story about how the corporate elites are abusing their monopolies in order to make profit gaining public support.

Giving better access to certain high paying clients makes less sense now than it did in 1990 because the access to broadband is so much greater. Its also not something you can actually do without severely compromising the speed of your network. How would they even be able to tell if a packet was from Netflix or not? The IP Protocol does not give any insight into this; the only ways are going into each and every packet and checking, or by limiting it to a certain port. The first one is implausible because they would not be able to offer Netflix a faster service since they are bogging down their systems. The second one just means you can move all your ports to the same one Netflix is using and push all your packets through the same faster lane.

On top of this no company owns a significant portion of the internet in the US. A large amount of pathways are owned by the FCC, then there are over a dozen major ISPs. Just because Comcast lets Netflix through their networks faster does not mean it will go as fast at Verizon's Data Exchange making the speed boost moot.

Ahem, they'd regulate it the same way they regulate your subscription to the cable tv or internet service; or the way they currently throttle you; by the cable box aside your house you're renting from them. Which would be illegal to modify.

#20 Cleffy

Cleffy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2377 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:01 PM

The FCC simply does not have the authority to regulate most ISPs. The Federal Communication Commission was created to regulate the MHz bands of radio transmissions in order to prevent interference. The reason they were able to regulate TV was due to broadcast television which used radio waves. The FCC has no authority to regulate cable as a result since they do not broadcast. The same applies to most ISPs because they communicate through wires. The communication that is done on radio waves is hands off for the FCC because its either limited coverage, or leased radio frequencies by cell providers.

Edited by Cleffy, 27 May 2014 - 08:02 PM.

#21 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:59 AM

The end of net neutrality would be if the FCC classified broadband as a utility, in which case they would regulate them.

#22 Cleffy

Cleffy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2377 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:22 AM

Do you really want the FCC to start regulating ISPs? The entire reason net neutrality has become an issue is because the FCC wants public support to start regulating ISPs. Internet costs would dramatically shoot up, and infrastructure growth would slow down if the FCC began regulating ISPs like utilities like has been done with other industries.

#23 Freja

Freja

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2769 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:06 AM

They got the power to increase the cost for services like Netflix though, and the amount of ads shown on youtube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users