journey as a Monk.. in need of advice - Acolyte Class - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

journey as a Monk.. in need of advice

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sohyunee

sohyunee

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:44 PM

Hello guys, 

I have started my first char as an acolyte, and just became a monk (4 years ago it was much easier to lvl up TT) 

I'm starting out as a AGI Combo monk, just because I dont have any irl friends to play with. 

I realized there are many types of champion/sura, and I have no idea what they are.. which is the reason why I am writing for some help :b 

1) I would like to differentiate between different types of champions, and what skills they use. For AGI combo like myself, what skills will I be using the most? and will it be the same when I transcend and become a sura?

2) The same question holds for the sura: what types are there? which are the most popular/ fun/ good for lvling?
3) I've read some abbreviations of equipments.. but I have no idea what they are and how useful they are to me. some of the examples are ifrit, gfist, and I would like to know anything else that are worth knowing!  

4) I am a lvl 64 monk, and I'm training myself at morroc field 17 (Sandman, Hode), but it's a bit slow for me.. any other suggestions? 

5) lastly, what skill tree should I follow as a AGI monk? and as Sura? 

Thank you so much guys :)

#2 ka10

ka10

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

#1 since renewal, monk/champ are usually combo-AGI, mental-strength (MS), or a combination of these two builds (since with the variety of gears you can acquire in ragnarok, i would say that builds are now roughly more gear dependent, especially at lower levels where your stats are still quite limited).

• combo-AG is more popular for newer players dependent on lower tier or eden gears and/or those who like to solo-level (you can still get mental-strength and use it when you need/want to); damage output becomes better with elemental endow/converters (depends on the monster/map), and with better ASPD/ATK/AGI/%damage gears
  • combo skills are raging trifecta (automatic trigger) > raging quad > raging thrust > chain crush combo; leave raging trifecta at lvl 5 (higher trigger chance); skip glacier fist as champ (low damage, eats 1 more spirit sphere)
  • spirit sphere absorb (SSA) on monsters (shift-click) regularly to maintain SP

• get zen as champ; also get root 5 for a free G-fist (guillotine fist) on normal (non-skill) melee [and ranged, at 1 cell distance (just snap in after pneuma)] attackers
  • you will spend some 2nd-job skill points on 1st-job skills
  • glorious/KVM fist halves the fixed cast times of zen, SSA, G-fist (switch to a damage weapon when attacking though) - or just ask for sacrament from an arch bishop so you don't have to switch (and possibly remove endows)

• MS build is more party oriented (eden gramps turn-ins (TI); tank monsters for the party to kill)
  • MS build is also great fast solo leveling on mobby/TI-maps with autocast gear [usually ifrit mask (meteor storm autocast)]; this build needs pots to sustain HP while in MS, but with switching (use hotkeys for fast gear-switching) to witch's pumpkin hat (WPH) + alarm mask + pumpkins, this build becomes very cheap; MS build is stronger with matk/int gear [eden staff III is high matk and 1-handed, divine cross/bellum arc wands have more matk but 2-handed (need constant switching with shield) and higher level requirements]; there are a lot more autocast gears you can use [high orc carded shield (reflect damage to trigger the other autocasts),CD in mouth, ring of flame lord (ROFL) + ring of resonance (ROR), etc] for a few more damage
  • aside from MS, you can just snap pull for TI-parties; just use WPH + alarm mask + pumpkins for healing; SSA on monsters to maintain SP; i prefer this over MS when the party has good killers; MS does not allow skill usage and you get hit-locked in place; just wear elemental/racial reduction gears to minimize damage

#2 shura usually start with skyblow for leveling then switch to rampage blaster (RB) build at mid job level or even straight to tiger cannon (TC) build, then swtich again to an end-build; yes, sounds like a lot of skill resets

• the end-game build for shura is usually gates of hell (GoH) with STR,VIT,DEX,INT at around 90-100 base and rest to AGI and LUK
  • AGI and DEX decrease combo delays so you can dragon combo (DC) > fallen empire (FE) > GoH/TC faster (ASPD is unrelated to this delay)
  • but, ASPD does decrease animation delay in general, making you snap around faster
  • rising dragon (RD) and power absorb (PA) essentially means endless SP
  • windmill and earth shaker are nice before/after you RB if that helps finish any surviving monsters; windmill is especially great for its stun effect (sit effect on players)
  • shura combos are not like monk/champ combos where you just keep spamming buttons; after you target a monster with DC, the combos will only connect if you press the next combo button once; the combo sequence ends at the combo skill where you started to spam; so the easiest case is to get the timing right from DC to FE, then you are free to spam GoH/TC as you like; again, the combo delay shortens (faster combo) with more AGI and DEX;
  • you can practice getting the combo timing on some high HP monsters or eggs in izlude novice training grounds; on the other hand, you can actually spam the shura combo just like monk/champ combo if you re-click the target monster after each combo skill and hold it as you spam the next combo skill but this is more awkward compared to just getting the timing right (though re-clicking does allow you to switch targets mid-combo and also execute the combo successfully under the effects of quagmire)
  • the splash damage of TC ignores flee; this splash damage is based on the damage of the main target adjusted according to endow/element for each monster/player within the AoE [for GoH and TC, part of the damage will be adjusted accordingly with endows, but ghost element treats all the damage as neutral (so the damage is still 70%, 50%, 0%, 0% for ghost lvl 1-4)]; so the best target among a mob would be the one which is weakest against your weapon (whether due to endow and/or racial %damage modifiers)
  • the main damage of GoH is endow-able as stated above and reductions apply
  • the bonus damage part of GoH ignores flee and reductions (the reason why players maximize their HP while keeping current HP low) but is forced neutral
  • besides trying out yourself, you can also find out about playing shura by watching iRO videos of it in action whether in WoE, leveling, or MvP; see what the players use often and the order they cast skills depending on the situation
  • link to shura skill formulas

• ifrit (mask)? - autocasts meteor storm when physically attacked
  • ifrit (rings)? - these are autocast rings:  ring of flame lord (ROFL) and ring of resonance (ROR)
  • SSA (spirit sphere absorption) - obsolete in PvM once you have power absorb (PA), (you can still alternate 2 SSA during PA cooldown); great in WoE/PvP vs other shura, take their balls away
  • G-fist (guillotine fist; asura strike), GoH (gates of hell), TC (tiger cannon)
  • KK (kathryne keyron) card - variable cast reduction (faster GoH casts), compound on headgear
  • KVM (krieger von midgard / glorious) - gear acquired from battlegrounds; KVM/glorious morning star is the best weapon vs demi-humans/players (preferable at high +9~12 upgrades though)
  • AK (abysmal knight / liberation) card - increases physical damage vs boss monsters by 25%, an MvPing weapon card (usually 2x on a carga mace)
  • RWH (rideword hat) - leveling headgear, regain HP/SP from damage dealt
  • WPH (witch's pumpkin hat) - set with alarm mask and pumpkins (buy from NPC vendor in south-west prontera) for cheap healing
  • HF (hunter fly / malicous) card - 3% chance to restore 15% of physical damage dealt as HP to user (works with physical melee and ranged)
  • E.variants (enchanced variants shoes) - the better version of variant shoes
  • MoH (medal of honor) - a nice accessory from the battlegrounds (flavius or tierra gorge); eventually replaced by RWC (ragnarok world championship) pendants due to the spell enchants or by black rosaries (+15 MDef)
  • CEB (cat ear beret) - standard WoE/PvP headgear
  • RPB (red pom band) - anti freeze/stone curse headgear with WoE robe-muffler-shoes set, black rosaries, valk shield, +8 mdef long mace, BFG (black frame glasses)
  • MP (maya purple) card - detect hidden/cloaked monsters/players
  • sunnies (sunglasses)
  • CE (crescent elbow) - counter an enemy melee attack/skill with up to 5000% ATK + received damage multiplied by 1.2 to 2; you still get 10% of the total damage though and usually result in a double K.O.

• CC (cursed circle) - one of the most crucial skills in WoE; this gets called out in chat/vent/raidcall/teamspeak at least once per WoE (whether it's like "they're CCed, wipe them" or "sh*t, we're CCed, kill him")
  • DC (dragon combo) or (disconnected - the worst thing that can happen in WoE, upgrading, or MvP instances)

#4 since you said you are combo-AGI, you will probably level on maps where you will not be mobbed by a lot of monsters too much

• very easy maps:  minimal potting 58-66 geographer; 66-70 metaling; 70-80 porcellio; 80-83 stapo; 83-95 siroma; 95-99 magmaring 
  • or go to glast heim, aggro (agressive) monsters:  62+ wraiths; 76+ skel prisoners; 83+ dark priests, and other undead/demon monsters in there (makes use of your maxed out demon bane and divine protection skills)
  • at 70+ you can try to solo in gramps-TI maps if you can avoid mobs, the monsters do not hit you too hard, and/or can afford to pots (or have WPH) - in which case you can probably afford to solo anywhere that gives a lot of EXP for your level;
  • check out the current spotlight maps; check monster databases; monsters that are 15 levels above you and 5 levels below you do not suffer EXP penalties
  • if you have MS, check out the TI entrance once in a while to check if a party in level range needs monk/tank
  • get the right elemental endow/converters depending on the monsters/map
  • if you have an extra soul linker alt, autofollow it (shift-right-click) on your monk (maybe w/ kaahi on so it does not die from aggro); so then you can have constant monk spirit link and do endless combos (all combo skills cost only 2 SP), with raging-thrust being a 5x5 AoE attack centered on your character - good for killing mobs

#5.1 SKILL BUILDS

• combo champion - 5 points left, put on MS/raging thrust/heal/etc
  • pre-sura champion - 4 points left, put on MS (PvM, 2 more points left) or decrease-agi 5 (WoE/PvP); use this build for shura

• most low level shura get skyblow 5 right away (job 9), at higher job levels you can switch to RB or straight to TC build
  • RB leveling - minimum job 28, 29 to get windmill; note RB may fail to 1-shot mobs, especially ones with very high HP (RB: 20-50k damage average)
  • TC leveling - you can start earlier than job 40; getting higher RD first gives you more SP per power absorb, but getting higher TC earlier yields more damage (also, TC AoE (centered on target) is only 3x3 at lvl 1-5 but becomes 5x5 at lvl 6+); always combo TC for max damage (60-100k with average gears)
  • standard GoH shura end build -  what most shura are; probably your end build too
  • TC end build - for those blessed with the awesome power of tao gunka
  • very few shura have crescent elbow or lightning walk at the expense of points from like CC, etc (you can have fun with these builds when you have extra shura)
  • knuckle arrow (KA) is obsolete with the advent of siege/WoE armor sets, and nerf (bonus 2nd-hit removed in WoE and on boss tagged monsters)
  • lightning ride (LR) is obsolete with the cast time nerf [used to be instant cast, and amazing with GT-energy gain (endless spirit spheres) on huge mobs]
  • GT-revit recaller build - 5 points left to get lighning walk (LW) 5, or LW 1 and CE 1; pre-nerf, the GT-change/revit buffs used to be great with no cooldown (can buff allies anytime); now at 2-minutes cooldown (lvl 5) you will only see this on guild recaller shura to stack more maxHP or low/mid level GT-buff slave shura

#5.2 STAT BUILDS - stats mentioned are approximations of totals (base stat + job bonus + stats from gear + blessing + agi up), unless noted as the actual base or max/min total

• combo stats:  90-100+ STR (damage); 90-100 AGI (ASPD, combo delay); 70-80+ DEX (hit rate, combo delay)
  • MS stats:  works with any stat build really (MS reduces damage so well); a more specialized build:  90+ VIT, rest to STR (damage to kill for early levels, weight limit) and INT (max SP); also auto cast MS builds will usually have high (90+) INT for more damage with meteor storm
  • monk/champ snap stats:  also works with any stat build; just get some VIT for survivability, maybe some INT (max SP) and AGI (more ASPD = faster snaps); the SP and ASPD parts can also be supplemented with gears instead of depending on base stats alone

• shura standard stats (good for leveling and end-game):  110+ STR, 60-80 AGI, 100 VIT (minimum total), 100+ INT, 100+ DEX, 21-60 LUK
  • you will probably have STR,VIT,DEX,INT at 90+ base, getting beyond 100 base can be demanding on stat points, but some may have 105 base VIT for example
  • you can go for 90 base AGI for even faster snaps (180+ ASPD is nice)
  • pure MvP would go 120 base STR, 110+ INT, 100 VIT (max total), 30-60 LUK, rest to DEX; the 120 base STR is for shura gauntlet/glove or megingjards; search the forum for MvP shura builds for more details on stats/gears

※ sorry i could not be concise

Edited by ka10, 12 July 2014 - 01:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users