New Royal Guard Needs Help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 1811131220144615093

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:49 PM

Okay, I'm not *quite* a royal guard yet. I'm a 99/70 paladin. :)

I've read and read, but I can't seem to find a RG guide from recent times which handholds a dummy like me. This is my first character on RO, and thus, my first third class character!

Until now, I've pretty much just used my +5 Malicious Crescent Scythe plus Spear Quicken 10 (and pecopeco plus cavelry mastery, naturally) for everything. Now, transitioning into royal guard, I would like to expand my usefulness. I've a guild now which does things together, so that added usefulness would be nice. I guess what I want is to still be able to solo when my guildmates aren't around, but to be useful to them when they are.

I have an Imperial Spear waiting to start with once I change classes, so I'm prepared to switch to a shield build. So long as I can solo, I am willing to mix things up bigtime, even using more magic and such. I don't think I like Battle Chant, though, because of the immobility.

Here is my information. I would really appreciate suggestions on how to change things around before I make the switch (I have the reset items for both stats and skills). I am particularly concerned about the stats, but I'm sure I made skill mistakes, as well. Thank you!

STATS AT 99/70 (sans equipment)

Str 80

Agi 83

Vit 60

Int 5

Dex 35

Luk 21

SWORDSMAN SKILLS (not counting class transition free skills)

Increase RP Recovery 10

Bash 10

Magnum Break 10

Provoke 10

Endure 9

PALADIN SKILLS

Faith 10

Spear Mastery 10

Spear Quicken 10

Peco Peco Ride 1

Cavalier Master 5

Holy Cross 10

Cure 1

Divine Protection 3

Demon Bane 5

Battle Chant 10

#2 Aizenath

Aizenath

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1021 posts
  • LocationCloser to hell than heaven...
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:notRO

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

Well it really depends what do you want to do with your RG, do you want to WoE or MVP or do ET runs, etc, etc  

If you are not doing WoE then you could go hybrid, you can level with Overbrand, MVP with Banishing Point and Sacrifice your party or tank for them if needed. That would be a 90 Str, Agi, Vit and Dex, the rest on Int and then some Luk.

Equips help change from attack build to a supportive one, Heroic Backpack gives you nice buffs with all the stats that are 90+, FAW are awesome if you can afford one and you can also use different GH boots depending on the situation.  Same goes for weapons, Hunting Spear(OB) for PvM, Imperial Spear(BP) for Mvp; Geledria, Exorciser, Combat Knife for Sacrificing. 

Also if you haven't already, read Hayroh's RG guide, is really good because it gives you a lot of info depending on what you want to do.

Skills I would defintitely get are Sacrifice lvl 5, Defending Aura lvl 5, Shield Spell 3 OB Lvl 5 and BP lvl 10.

I personally have Piety lvl 2 to help when fighting Valk, Vanguard Force lvl 5 for the extra HP and Battle Chant- mainly to get rid of annoying status effect(bleeding) when I'm soloing.  

Like I said, some stats and skills are going to depend on how you like playing and you might want to change some of them when you hit level 150, I know I did.

Stats calculators(not very accurate for damage calculations but helpful when trying to use every stat point) and skill simulators are great to help you plan your build.

Hope that helps, good luck!

#3 1811131220144615093

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

Hi Aizenath,

I hope this helps: there is absolutely no interest in WoE. I pretty much want to continue doing solo PvM or group PvM with my guild. I just want to maintain that solo ability while maybe lending some sort of support to my guildies when we group. I am a physically disabled player, so I play alone at odd hours a great deal just to keep my mind occupied/off of pain!

I was fortunate enough to save a fair little bit of zeny on my way, so I can hopefully get decent items to do as you suggest. Of course, I don't know what some of the abbreviations are (FAW, GH, etc). ^_^;

Your base skill list is a big help.

Hopefully, I have made what I want to do more clear. With that in mind, can you suggest how I might change my stats *as they are now* so that I'll perform well in the present and as I grow?

Thank you so much!

Edited by 1811131220144615093, 18 July 2014 - 08:10 PM.

#4 Aizenath

Aizenath

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1021 posts
  • LocationCloser to hell than heaven...
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:notRO

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:29 AM

FAW= Fallen Angel Wing, GH= Glast Heim(Temporal Str, Agi, Vit, Dex, Int, Luk Boots)

If you have some zenny you should get a Resistant(hodremlin card) Valk shield for 15% less damage for all size monsters if you are lazy like me and don't like to change shields all the time, racial shields are better if all monsters are the same type, a Valk shield of Royal Guard (Alice card) for 40% less damage from boss monsters, 40% more damage from normal monsters, this is a must if you are sacrificing while fighting MVPs, I still use my immune(Raydric card) Nid Shadow Garb a lot, the FAW and the Heroic Backpack HBP are more for attacking and you can get later when you are lvl 130 or higher.  A +9 vanargand helm or the cheaper option, a +9 rideword hat RWH are great hats to leech sp when leveling with OB.

You will need some Vit if you're going to Sac and Dex to hit monsters and Str to kill them faster so as a start I would got something like Str, Dex and Vit 70, Agi 50 and Int 30, but that's just me, you might want more HP or more Dex or higher attack speed, so you can adjust it as it best suits you.

I don't know how much you know about RO which is why I added some descriptions.

I play at odd times too so pm me here if you wanna party sometime, I got some characters around lvl 100, don't forget you can also do gramps TIs and now there are bounty boards too.

#5 1811131220144615093

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

Hi Aizenath,

Thank you again for the help. :)

I went ahead and changed my stats. I'm not fighting as well, but I guess I will grow with time. Here is how they turned out:

Str 70

Agi 52

Vit 70

Int 30

Dex 70

Luk 4

I did not change my swordsman skills (though I still could), so I still have Battle Chant 10, for better or worse. Looks like I'll need to hunt up a level or three before I can go shopping for much new RG stuff, anyway, but the griffon mount is cool!

You are free to talk me up in game at any time, of course. My main is Tsukada. ^_^

#6 1811131220144615093

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:57 AM

Hi guys,

Okay, looks like I still need to ask for help.

I've struggled up to level 101 (I have an Imperial Spear for 102), but leveling is proving to be an extreme struggle. I can only really do the Glast Heim Eden quests, and maybe the Ice Dungeon ones if I'm careful. Problem is, I often am overwhelmed in these places or die due to running out of potions before I can finish.

I'm eager to get into some real RG gear, but I'm wondering if my struggle is perhaps due to having built incorrectly. If so, I can fix it, but I need to know how. Here's what I have at 101; please tell me what to change very specifically if you can, since I'm still new to RO, in truth.

BASE STATS

STR 71

AGI 52

VIT 72

INT 30

DEX 72

LUK 4

SWORDSMAN SKILLS

Bash 10

Magnum Break 10

Provoke 10

Endure 9

PALADIN SKILLS

Faith 10

Cure 1

Holy Cross 10

Guard 4

Battle Chant 10

Spear Mastery 10

Spear Quicken 10

Peco Peco Ride 1

Cavalier Mastery 1

ROYAL GUARD SKILLS

Vanishing Point 10

Moonslasher 3

Aiming for Overbrand with my RG skill work, as you can probably tell.

Thank you!

Edited by 1811131220144615093, 24 July 2014 - 10:02 AM.

#7 kasshin

kasshin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3686 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

Have you tried getting into a eden gramps turn in party? Soloing at higher levels is tough, expensive, and requires pretty good knowledge of the game. You absolutely need to be using an AOE (overbrand in your case) as killing one monster at a time isn't an option anymore for getting decent EXP.

Stats look ok but skills could use some tweaking. You should have gotten overbrand 5 first since you should focus on AOE. Next is shield spell level 1 for the ATK boost. VP you should leave at the req (level 5) until the end but 5 job levels isn't too too much I guess. Sacrifice is really helpful in parties and will also increase your chances of getting into parties.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users