Please help me choose a class - New Player Zone and General Guides - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Please help me choose a class

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 QuentinL

QuentinL

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:01 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm a total newbie to Ragnarok Online and I would like some help choosing which class to play.

Since I'm new, I have zero funds so I would like a class that isn't too expensive to maintain. I want a class that is fairly easy to play and can bring in some money.

I want a class that can solo well (for both leveling and bosses), but is also wanted in parties for PVE and PVP. I like party-playing or leveling, dungeons, bosses, etc. (something versatile) 

If I have to choose between PVE and PVP though, I'll mainly be focused on PVE.

It doesn't matter if the class is melee/ranged

Also, from my past experience with other MMORPGs, I don't do well with glass cannons, so it would be nice if the class is durable.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

#2 EverlyMythry

EverlyMythry

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Playing:RO Valkyrie Uprising
  • Server:Alfheim

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:14 AM

archer  :p_smile:

#3 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

agi swordie

#4 belld1711

belld1711

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1730 posts
  • LocationWhere ever you want me to be.
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:15 AM

I agree with Facekiller. Archers are the fastest to level, and after you learn arrow creation, you could make your own arrows early on. Archers are the most popular for soloing and making money, But they are glass cannons.

#5 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:26 AM

rangers also get an inexpensive set of equipment that makes their aoe attack as good if not better than most other third class aoe skills.

you can solo easily and will also never have trouble finding a party.

#6 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

OP said he doesnt want a glass cannon tho... rangers are very much glass cannons

#7 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

don't AS rangers have a ton of vit since they don't use agi?  or are they still flimsy regardless?

#8 zefram

zefram

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1262 posts
  • Server:valkyre

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

well trapper rangers are not glass cannons, and there is a high chance that trap skills will be buffed in a short time with the help of autumn headgear.

Bow rangers are considered glass cannons since they can't hold a shield with a bow,and white wing set offers no reduction at all though rangers have awesome skills that let you avoid monsters, like ankle snare, freeze trap ,sandman,wargbite, electric shock,camouflage even wind walk and the warg ride that doubles(almost) your movement speed.

If set up and played properly, you won't really get hit as a hunter/ranger so doesn't matter how glassy you are.

Its harder to find party ,make money and solo-level as an agi swordie imo.

#9 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

i have an agi knight waiting in the wings so i'll get to experience that first hand pretty soon; haven't had a chance to make a ranger yet though.

#10 belld1711

belld1711

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1730 posts
  • LocationWhere ever you want me to be.
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

well trapper rangers are not glass cannons, and there is a high chance that trap skills will be buffed in a short time with the help of autumn headgear.

Bow rangers are considered glass cannons since they can't hold a shield with a bow,and white wing set offers no reduction at all though rangers have awesome skills that let you avoid monsters, like ankle snare, freeze trap ,sandman,wargbite, electric shock,camouflage even wind walk and the warg ride that doubles(almost) your movement speed.

If set up and played properly, you won't really get hit as a hunter/ranger so doesn't matter how glassy you are.

Its harder to find party ,make money and solo-level as an agi swordie imo.

Trap rangers, if I understand correctly, either have to time/place their traps perfectly, or place them while they're being attacked. As a hunter, you have a smaller HP pool to endure those hits, and the traps get costly for a newbie if your hunting in the field, especially if hunting mobs that don't drop valuable items, and the area isn't that mobby, meaning more traps spent to kill single mobs.

With a swordman class, all you need is a sword, gear, some pots, and your ready to go. Knights and Crusaders are durable, have high HP pools, can boost int for spamming magnum break when mobbed. Agi knights and Crusaders are good for leveling to trans. Agi crusaders can even take the skill Heal with them to save on pots and survive longer when in long, drawn-out battles. Though if a Crusader takes heal, they have to sacrifice other skills, since it takes several points just to get that skill. But after rebirth, you can change to a different build. By that time, OP will be familiar enough with the game and class, and know where to look for suggested end game builds to shoot for.

#11 YangeWenli

YangeWenli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2404 posts
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:02 PM

you dont have to time anything with firing trap...drop the trap in middle of mob and go to town+traps are dirt cheap

#12 Perezoso15

Perezoso15

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1041 posts
  • LocationGironland~
  • Server:Valk->Chaos

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:49 PM

I don't think there's a class that can do all you want right off the bat without investing a fair amount of money into it. What i can reccomend you is make a class that's easy to use so you can learn the game ways and save some zeny with it,a perfect class in my opinion would be an Assasin.Thiefs are easy to level,flee will make mobs miss you as long as you go 1 by 1,they dont have many confusing skills and you can get extra loot with steal.Once you're an assasin you can probably pull for parties just with backslide.It may be hard at first but that's the way i started and how i managed to fund my merchant later on which turned to be my main,a Geneticist.

#13 Ramen

Ramen

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1990 posts
  • LocationEientei

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:12 PM

I found a STR, VIT, DEX Knight was really easy to level, even without VIP, and especially if you go with Brandish Spear over Bowling Bash.  Then, you just get an Earth Deleter carded armor, and you can go absolutely crazy.  Getting a high level of Magnum Break really helps with leveling early on if you already have the ED card.

#14 ClarkeforU

ClarkeforU

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:57 PM

i think mage is also one of the fastes character to level in-game *suggestion only* :heh:

#15 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:50 PM

i think mage is also one of the fastes character to level in-game *suggestion only* :heh:

once again the OP wanted a class that isnt a glass cannon...

#16 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:31 AM

make a ninja :D

#17 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

make a ninja :D

thats a terrible idea for newbies... especially for broke newbies...

#18 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

but you're always recruiting new students...

#19 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

yeah but i cant afford to fund them all... teach sure... fund no...

#20 Skymaiden

Skymaiden

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

^Agree with some posters above. An Agi swordsman/woman! class would be a good idea, though I'd personally recommend the Royal Guard class for some MVP-ing later on with banishing point. As an RG, you also get party support skills like sacrifice. It should also be cheaper than playing a rune knight, since the latter entails you to create runes which in turn needs ingredients. I've seen some RGs do MVP on Maya, White Lady and other lower-level MVPs (higher-level ones usually call for a Geneticist or an aspd ranger with AB support). Oh, and I'd put a sky deleter card on your armor if you want to save on healing potions. Welcome & have fun!!

Edited by Skymaiden, 19 August 2014 - 04:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users