[ 9/17 - 9/23 ] Weekly Ralis Conundrum! #5: Trouble With Tiles - Conundrum event archive - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

[ 9/17 - 9/23 ] Weekly Ralis Conundrum! #5: Trouble With Tiles

71 replies to this topic

#1 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Classic

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:04 PM

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngThe Ralis ConundrumSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

School is starting up again, and that means it's time to get your brain back in shape!

Every Wednesday, at some varying point of the day, I'll be posting some sort of weekly challenge for you to figure out. Each week brings a new puzzle: it may be a math problem, a riddle or something else entirely. Whatever it may be, you'll have to use a little (or a lot of) brain power to figure it out.

The competition is open to both servers! Chaos Renewal and Classic Loki players may both enter their answers. It may help you to know, then, that the answer to each challenge will be something that can be found by players on both servers.

Correct answers may win a prize at the end of the week. However, only a certain number of prizes can be given out and all correct answers are entered into the prize pool. Please do not try and use multiple accounts to get better odds! We check IPs and account connections. If you're caught doing this, you will be automatically disqualified from present and future competitions... Including OTHER events on the forums as well.

All questions are in some way related to Ragnarok. However, please keep in mind that the theme is not always a factor in figuring out the puzzle. This does not mean that it will never have an impact on the puzzle, but rather that you should not assume that you must travel to a location or that the answer must fit the theme given in that week's conundrum.

Please do not post or PM your answers. Use the link below the challenge to submit answers!

Keep in mind that you only get one try; once you have submitted an answer, it is considered final!

Helpful links:

iRO Wiki

iRO Wiki Renewal Database

iRO Wiki Classic Database

Please do not ask questions related to this week's challenge on the forums. Questions regarding the competition as a whole are fine, but we want to avoid any hints or answers being posted directly on the forums!

PoringDivider.png

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngThis Week's ChallengeSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

Week 5: Trouble With Tiles [ 9/17 - 9/23 ]

143Tiles_zps22861445.png

In the lower left corner of Prontera, there's a bar. A very lonely, empty bar. Only one old man seems to frequent the establishment, so the owner has decided to hold a contest in an attempt to draw in patrons.

He special orders 144 tiles (with each tile having enough room for four characters, spaces or punctuation marks) to attach along the borders of the tables. His plan is to offer a prize to whoever can unscramble the tiles to form the story behind Ragnarok.

When the tiles arrive, however, he finds that he has only received 143 of them. Ever the optimist, he decides not to fret about the missing tile and instead alters his contest to award the prize to whoever figures out what four characters would have been etched into the missing tile.

What are the four characters? List them in order, exactly as they would appear on the missing tile.

Click Here To Submit Your Answer

This week's prize:

DullahanEgg_zps7d6c7c0c.png

Dullahan Egg

The competition ends Tuesday, September 23rd at 11:59 PM PST! Good luck!

PoringDivider.png

Edited by Ralis, 17 September 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#2 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:24 PM

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngLast Week's ChallengeSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

RalisConundrum4_zps585d69c4.png

While investigating Juperos, you find the above symbol on what appears to be a large door. No matter how much you push and pull at the door, however, it simply will not open. That's when you notice the keypad next to the door, as well as the plaque attached to the wall above it. Engraved into the plaque are these sets of numbers:

12065, 7422
12269, 7445, 715
505, 990, 10015, 7452
5237, 511, 7286, 508, 617
5232, 7441, 620, 4198, 503, 7034

The keypad has five flashing asterisks in its display, indicating it needs a five digit password. Surely, you think, the numbers and the strange symbol on the door must be connected in some way... Perhaps the numbers stand for something? You resolve to find the password and find out what lies beyond the door.

What is the five-digit password?

Last week's prize:

IncubusEgg_zps00091858.png

Miyabi Doll Egg

PoringDivider.png

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngThe SolutionSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

The answer is 17436.

I wanted to make this week's Conundrum a little more challenging by not providing as much direction. However, contrary to what a lot of people seemed to think, there WAS a clue about what you needed to do: the main hint I gave you was that "the numbers stand for something". In this case, they stood for Item IDs.

12065, 7422

Green Salad, Yellow Key

12269, 7445, 715

Tasty Pink Ration, Green Bijou, Yellow Gemstone

505, 990, 10015, 7452

Blue Potion, Red Blood, Green Lace, Yellow Spice

5237, 511, 7286, 508, 617

Pink Beanie, Green Herb, Red Chile, Yellow Herb, Old Purple Box

5232, 7441, 620, 4198, 503, 7034

Pink Drooping Cat, Blue Feather, Orange Juice, Maya Purple Card, Yellow Potion, Red Stocking

OneSevenFourThreeSix_zps74ccd2de.png

As you may have noticed, each item has a color in the name. If you highlight only the colors given by each set of numbers, other numbers are formed in the digital 8. Do this for each set of numbers, and you get the five digit password 17436.

This week stumped a lot of you: only 10 people submitted correct answers! As you know, only five prizes can be given out. This week's winners, chosen randomly by survey number, were:

Pocky, omniw, larryanthony09, Leongg and Tsuyu!

Congratulations!

Please check your mail or inventory on the character you listed on the answer page for your prize. Please give Oda at least one week to deliver prizes!

PoringDivider.png

Edited by Ralis, 16 September 2014 - 10:04 PM.

#3 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:14 PM

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngArchivesSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

Week 4: A Colorful Conundrum [ 9/10 - 9/16 ]

Week 3: Unlock the Safe [ 9/3 - 9/9 ]

Week 2: As The Kasa Flies [ 8/27 - 9/2 ]

Week 1: Mystery Picture [ 8/20 - 8/26 ]

PoringDivider.png

Edited by Ralis, 17 September 2014 - 09:43 AM.

#4 Demeris

Demeris

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2213 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:42 PM

Okay that was a really dumb problem if you didn't know every item on RO had an ID# tagged to it.

If anything, you should've just given the knowledge that the numbers were DIRECTLY RELATED TO RO in some way.

But congrats to the 5 winners, I'm impressed they were able to figure that out...

#5 amarande

amarande

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:00 AM

Love these types of puzzles thanks ralis xD also...submitted answer ^_^ was fun to figure out

*EDIT* last weeks i got sooo badly wrong, didnt think either to check item ID of RO things....but looking back, being a quiz on the ragnarok forums, this probably should have come straight to mind lol. nicely done ^_^

Edited by amarande, 17 September 2014 - 12:19 AM.

#6 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:46 AM

That last one was distasteful and unfair to new people and even veterans that don't know how to look up item IDs.

If I had noticed this while it was still active, I would have spoiled it then.

I'm not making a threat, but your games need to be all inclusive.

Edited by Myzery, 17 September 2014 - 04:51 AM.

#7 darkabe

darkabe

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:32 AM

I enjoyed the previous one(I was very lucky to find the solution in 5min I guess), but this one is gonna take some time... It may take too much time for someone who tries to solve it directly tho.

I think we're gonna have even less correct answers this week. Good luck everyone!

#8 Trance3D2Y

Trance3D2Y

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:14 AM

And there I was, reviewing my Linear Algebra notes and Google'd HTML color codes/reverse Pascal Triangle. LMAO.

#9 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:22 AM

Which Ragnarok story are you referring to: the original Norse myths or the loosely-based RO version?

#10 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:23 AM

I don't see how it's not all-inclusive.

All you needed to do was do a search on Google or whatever else for "Ragnarok 12065" or one of the other numbers and the entire first page would be databases with the item Green Salad. Google is your frienddddd! And probably will be for quite a few puzzles. :D

Edited by Ralis, 17 September 2014 - 07:37 AM.

#11 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:25 AM

Can't say Tigress~ That's part of the puzzle that you'll have to figure out.

#12 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:35 AM

Can't say Tigress~ That's part of the puzzle that you'll have to figure out.

WELL THEN. :U

I think I might know which version, since I spot some key words.

#13 renouille

renouille

Too Legit To Quit

• Public Security Section 9
  • 2448 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Server:retired

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:47 AM

I figured Ralis would never discriminate against the colorblind.

And I thought Google was cheating?

#14 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:57 AM

Actually I totally thought about making a colorblind version with the names of colors pointing to different lines... But I thought that would make it too obvious. :P

I don't think Google is cheating since I've been checking to make sure you can't get any answers directly out of it without doing something else as well... But it can certainly help steer you in the right direction if you can't figure things out on your own.

#15 Joaco

Joaco

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3569 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:47 AM

Just to make sure, the idea on this one is to remake the story and find out what the missing tile says, right?

#16 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:54 AM

Correct.

#17 Inruko

Inruko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

Last week challenge, had never thought of it to be in anyway, actually related to the game. Now have to take note of it.

Edited by Inruko, 17 September 2014 - 08:56 AM.

#18 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:59 AM

it's been announced from the start that all puzzles are RO-related :o

#19 Inruko

Inruko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:02 AM

it's been announced from the start that all puzzles are RO-related :o

Where?

The one 2 weeks ago aren't related to RO at all.

Edited by Inruko, 17 September 2014 - 09:03 AM.

#20 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:03 AM

the first puzzle.

#21 Inruko

Inruko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:05 AM

But I didn't read or participate on the the first puzzle..

#22 Demeris

Demeris

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2213 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:05 AM

Actually I totally thought about making a colorblind version with the names of colors pointing to different lines... But I thought that would make it too obvious. :P

I don't think Google is cheating since I've been checking to make sure you can't get any answers directly out of it without doing something else as well... But it can certainly help steer you in the right direction if you can't figure things out on your own.

What? I thought the whole point of these problems is to use your mind to help you figure these things out on your own.

In fact, your system is essentially set up so that if one person can figure out the answer then they can send it off to 5 of their friends to submit the same answer.

The recent problem, sure it may have been creative to you, was made challenging in the wrong direction. Expecting participants to use Google when they don't know how to solve simply from LOOKING AT THE PROBLEM is a huge red flag. It's like you're telling a Math student to go look at a math book during the test if they didn't know a question on the test.

Basically, all problems should be done as is with the source of being able to solve it is your own. Last problem had no sense of direction if an outside or new player look were to attempt at finding the answer.

#23 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:13 AM

Where?
The one 2 weeks ago aren't related to RO at all.

All the puzzles are related to RO either story-wise and/or in the actual puzzle itself.

It would be nice to link back to all the previous puzzles to see what has been done. And maybe put a note on this and every future puzzle that it's RO-related for newcomers.

#24 Demeris

Demeris

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2213 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:16 AM

Try pretending to be in the story of the recent puzzle.

You're at this door, see this rainbow symbol, and then a bunch of numbers on this plaque. You decide to decipher what it means...

"OH!! LET ME TAKE OUT MY PHONE AND LOOK THIS UP!"

Which is basically what Ralis is telling us to do to solve it.

Sorry, about my frustration. I spent quite a bit of time every day that week to solve the puzzle. I knew Ralis was trying to make it more difficult but yeah.... imagine doing that problem without the irowiki database.

I don't see how it's not all-inclusive.

All you needed to do was do a search on Google or whatever else for "Ragnarok 12065" or one of the other numbers and the entire first page would be databases with the item Green Salad. Google is your frienddddd! And probably will be for quite a few puzzles.  :D

You're implying people on this forum to go to the private server website? That's the first thing that showed up when I googled that.

Edited by Demeris, 17 September 2014 - 09:26 AM.

#25 Pocky

Pocky

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:17 AM

What? I thought the whole point of these problems is to use your mind to help you figure these things out on your own.

In fact, your system is essentially set up so that if one person can figure out the answer then they can send it off to 5 of their friends to submit the same answer.

The recent problem, sure it may have been creative to you, was made challenging in the wrong direction. Expecting participants to use Google when they don't know how to solve simply from LOOKING AT THE PROBLEM is a huge red flag. It's like you're telling a Math student to go look at a math book during the test if they didn't know a question on the test.

Basically, all problems should be done as is with the source of being able to solve it is your own. Last problem had no sense of direction if an outside or new player look were to attempt at finding the answer.

this is LAIYAA GAIIMMUUUU

[insert yasutaka nakatas liar game intro music]

anyway ralis I appreciate the time and effort you put into these puzzles, they are fun

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users