Miochuwaan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:07 PM

So i just made it to monk and i was like super happy to play a class that fights with her hands. But i had soon to realize that my knuckles/claws do like no damage as long as i fight against mobs that are bigger than a rat. im still in the early 50s stage, so does the damage get better with the fist passive and combos? Or do i need to stick to maces(that do double the damage) to maximize my dps? Since the monk for me is a hand to hand combat type class i really dont like the idea of running around with a stupid mace...Any tips or builds to make more damage with claws?

#2 ka10

ka10

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:11 PM

sadly maces are the way to go to maximize damage output;

increasing ASPD isn't as hard as it was;

unless you plan to stick to killing small size monsters (bad idea to limit where you can level);

a testament that maces are superior damage-wise is that only 2 knuckle weapons are virtually used:  glorious fist (for sacrament effect) and bellum claw (pvp/woe instant asura)

and the point of these two knuckles is not really about damage at all

maces are cool =P

Edited by ka10, 15 September 2014 - 04:24 PM.

#3 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:12 PM

Monks end up being the strongest 1v1 PvPing class in the game, are an invaluable presence in WoE (Suras are possibly the most demanding class to play there) and well built are able to 1-shot low to mid tier MVPs (and beyond if your gear is just obscene).

As a tradeoff, they suck at leveling. Just keep at it till Sura and you gain access to things like Sky Blow and Tiger Cannon, which make things muuuuuuch easier.

Fyi most Monks uses Maces. They're better than fists or bare-handed fighting in every way possible.

#4 PervySageMarty

PervySageMarty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3958 posts
  • LocationUnderground like a wild potato

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:18 PM

If you think its sad seeing a monk wear a fist doing low damage then see a priest wearing a fist, the ASPD is instantly 1 (1 hit per every ten seconds approx)

#5 Miochuwaan

Miochuwaan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

Thanks for the replies! I guess ill try it out with the maces until rebirth, maybe i fall in love with them on the way :P Still kind of pissed to see that claws got such stupid size reductions. Maybe it would have been broken otherwise~

#6 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:28 PM

Unfortunately claws aren't very good by design (size penalties, low base attack, attack-to-card-slot ratio is bad, etc) and their only saving grace, aspd, is pretty useless when you have a lot of high end aspd gear, which gives the same speed with maces as claws in the end.

#7 PervySageMarty

PervySageMarty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3958 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:24 PM

The other reality is that if you use a mace, you can either spend a few kafra points on adrenaline rush scrolls or party up with a blacksmith class character for adrenaline rush, another 25-30% ASPD bonus depending on whether its the scroll or smith class character activating the skill (If a blacksmith classes uses adrenaline rush, other classes only get a 25% ASPD bonus as opposed to the smith him/herself, and other smiths in the party, who are granted a 30% ASPD bonus. HOWEVER, if you, or someone you party with, uses an adrenaline rush scroll, all classes obtain a 30% ASPD bonus regardless.)

#8 Miochuwaan

Miochuwaan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:31 AM

Update for those who maybe want to know: I fell in love with my Monk. Im the type of player that tries out alot of classes and when leveling gets boring and harder, i switch over to a new class to check it out. Its has been the same with my Alchemist, Knight, Crusader, Blacksmith, Gunslinger, Sage and Assassin. Stopped playing all fo them past 90ish when leveling made me feel like im working instead of playing.  But my monk is kinda something special~ I dont care about the maces anymore it doesnt break the "mood" of being a fistfighting monk since the combo system is sooo much fun! Currently 93 and climbing slow but steady~

#9 PervySageMarty

PervySageMarty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3958 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:53 PM

I also fell in love with Maki-kun..............

Also where you leveling on? sounds epic......

Edited by Marty5337, 17 September 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#10 Miochuwaan

Miochuwaan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:16 PM

Lol, weell currently in rachel killing snakes for around 9k exp...dunno where to go else, i guess ill stick here until 99~

#11 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:31 PM

Combo monk/champ/sura is fun until level 105 to 110 or so then it gets depressing.

#12 Miochuwaan

Miochuwaan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:51 PM

Combo monk/champ/sura is fun until level 105 to 110 or so then it gets depressing.

Yeah, thats what i got told too. Seems like the leveling from 100 onward is aoe based...

#13 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:53 PM

More like you will sit there in combo 1 monster in the time it takes you to kill that one a ranger will have walked by and 1 shot ko about 20 monsters including the one you were about to finish off.

#14 Miochuwaan

Miochuwaan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:48 PM

God dont tell me people still steal the mobs right before your nose in higher levels >.> its annoying enough to see it in comodo, geffen fields and rachel x__x

#15 ka10

ka10

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:58 PM

KSing does happen in any setting that allows for it to happen;

anyways, do you plan to main that class and solo all the way?

soloing shura to 150 will require good gears and ample supplies (mostly HP pots, since PA takes care of SP);

if you have WPH+alarm mask, pumpkins are all you would need to keep up your HP as you combo TC mobs

on the other hand, getting into TI parties means you will be MS tanking or snap pulling - an easy and steady way to level; fun not guaranteed though

#16 Miochuwaan

Miochuwaan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:03 PM

Well, the thing is, my cousin stopped playing and he gave me all his money since he knew i started getting into RO again. So i got a few billions...Hell, for the most part i only wander around prontera to buy cute headgears lol. Ive heard of the WPH+mask combo for the HP its a good idea but i have to come across those items yet...kinda unlucky haha~ And TI's...well its reaaaally boring. the strangers almost never talk, some go afk in the middle of it and the best part is that im completely useless as combo monk..haha...haaa >.>

#17 PervySageMarty

PervySageMarty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3958 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:17 PM

Well if your really interested give me 'call', I would be happy to assist you in an old style party up so you can flash around using combo's.............TI leveling is fast but sometimes very boring and doesn't exactly help you gain better knowledge of the class your playing(with some people that is, not all), so i usually go around killing monsters in my range half the time. I play a ME AB atm which is perfectly in range with you so 'call' me yeah!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users