Hate and Racism and why you are better than that.. - Ragnarok 2 Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Hate and Racism and why you are better than that..

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

Hello Midgardians,

I'm writing to you now to request that we all think about our fellow players as human beings and not an "enemy" to be treated like a piece of trash.  We all come from unique places in the world and are united under a few common goals, to play games, to have fun and invest in some way into a community of other players.  Some of the comments and behaviors that have begun to really surface in the last month or so, and erupting in the past week or so with the SEA merger, is absolutely the worst type of attitude the internet has to offer; frankly it needs to stop and be directed in better directions.

I absolutely understand players that have been a long time in a game will adopt a "territoriality" and circles of friends to form an "us vs them" mentality, PVP and guilds are sort of founded on this principle.  But the social groups are only supposed to enhance your group's sense of community not to absolutely tear down everyone else's fun.  Being competitive and even a bit of trash talking is expected and fun, but being a racist bigot with nothing but hate for every new person is downright counter-productive for a game community, and lends evidence to perhaps you are not a fit person to enjoy a community based game.

Racism: it exists in the real world but here in-game we are not citizens of our country instead are citizens of the game world, hating someone because they come from a location in the world and perhaps speaks in a different language is also counter productive to being in a community game.  Filipinos and Singapore and Malaysian players are here and will continue to expand our game world, new people will continue to join us, and they could be your new game brothers, sisters and friends; but if you treat them like enemies from level 1 onwards they, and any new players from "your country", will not stick around.  If no new players are capable of joining the game due to our veterans not allowing them to join, then Midgard will stagnate and ultimately become boring and less appealing even to the established veterans.

I am imploring you veterans to be kind and helpful to new players, bring them into your group and let them enjoy the world with you, trust me some amazingly fun times can come of this.  But if you can't open your mind enough to be kind, then I must demand you at least accept them as fellow human beings and treat them at least as well as you would a stranger you meet on the streets in your hometown, help or ignore not demean.  We cannot make you change your mind or your behavior that decision to change has to come from yourself, I hope that everyone can take a moment to honestly think about how you are treating others and take steps to treat each other better.

We will start treating racism and open hostility with more permanent censures now, we can't allow our community to devolve into open racist and hostility.  We are an open community, if you are trying to "close it" then you will likely find yourself outside the community very quickly via forum moderation and possibly game access privilege removal.  If your fun is in making others have no fun, then we will likely need to remove you as you are more damaging to the big picture than you are helpful to it.

My message here is not about censorship in not saying what is bothering you; we can talk about stuff that bothers you and even stuff that makes you angry, but we need to use a language that is not filled with hate and demeaning to others.  If the only way you feel you can get your point across is with name calling and swearing then I feel it may be time you "up your literary game" and work to get your message across with a calmer attitude and more thoughtful phrasing.

Thank you, with regards.

Heimdallr

#2 samsam2610

samsam2610

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 535 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:36 PM

#3 Tonitrua

Tonitrua

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO2 Community Representative
  • 882 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:41 PM

I can't wait for the new players to join us, the more the better :)

#4 chesz

chesz

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:26 PM

Thank you very much for bringing this up.

I'm an SEA player looking forward to the merge when it was announced. Excited, I started browsing the WP feedback thread regarding the merge and it broke my heart, almost to tears, reading page after page of hate, anger and hostility towards us. I was ready to quit the game (die and go down with my server, as they say) since I felt so unwanted in the new community I'm supposed to belong to. I know it is weird to get sad/depressed/emotional over an online game, but I actually felt that way (apologies, I'm actually postpartum so that might also have an effect).

I never really cared much for PVP, and the only thing I do in RO2 is farm (I love killing monsters senselessly for hours at a time, and i absolutely LOVE looting). My only reason now for transferring is being with my husband and guildies online. The excitement of meeting new players (from that server) and looking forward to being a member of a new community is long gone, until I read this post. Hopefully everyone would take time to think about what is posted here and be mindful of what they type next time as they have no idea how it can affect other people reading.

Thanks again! Looking forward for a great time when we arrive.

Edited by chesz, 19 September 2014 - 02:27 PM.

#5 dalawadila

dalawadila

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:34 PM

SEA or nEwly Registered Players..

WELcome to ODIN server..^_^

Enjoy the Game..

#6 CMMaridah

CMMaridah

Community Management Bunny

• Retired
  • 715 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:35 PM

I'm an SEA player looking forward to the merge when it was announced. Excited, I started browsing the WP feedback thread regarding the merge and it broke my heart, almost to tears, reading page after page of hate, anger and hostility towards us. I was ready to quit the game (die and go down with my server, as they say) since I felt so unwanted in the new community I'm supposed to belong to. I know it is weird to get sad/depressed/emotional over an online game, but I actually felt that way (apologies, I'm actually postpartum so that might also have an effect).

I never really cared much for PVP, and the only thing I do in RO2 is farm (I love killing monsters senselessly for hours at a time, and i absolutely LOVE looting). My only reason now for transferring is being with my husband and guildies online. The excitement of meeting new players (from that server) and looking forward to being a member of a new community is long gone, until I read this post. Hopefully everyone would take time to think about what is posted here and be mindful of what they type next time as they have no idea how it can affect other people reading.

I'm so sorry to hear this, and we certainly want you and any other SEA/new player to know that you are welcome here. I know you will find friends here. Many players are looking forward to the new people coming in, and I for one am very excited to be your new community manager. Our moderation team and staff will do our best to help the atmosphere of the forums reflect this. My sincere apologies for the bad behavior that was demonstrated by some players. We are acting to stop this toxicity. I hope you can join us on Odin without worry, and if you encounter hostility, do not be afraid to report it. Our GMs will act. We want ALL players to feel welcome and enjoy themselves while playing. Thanks for giving our community another chance!

#7 AikaFuwa

AikaFuwa

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:43 PM

Just a few people saying bad things does not mean the whole community.  

The community here is very nice and which is one of the reason why I'm still playing this game.

I can tell you that a lot of us are welcoming SEA players as well as newly registered players

#8 ExLoli

ExLoli

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Server:Vanir

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:00 PM

Holla! I am SEA player.
Thank you for welcoming us! ^_^

#9 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:03 PM

Most of what I read in the seaRO2 transfer thread was about people fighting over what items can be brought over. We're more than welcoming for more players, but not the broken items and inflated zeny.

#10 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:23 PM

Most of what I read in the seaRO2 transfer thread was about people fighting over what items can be brought over. We're more than welcoming for more players, but not the broken items and inflated zeny.

I absolutely agree that players should bring up their concerns, and we have read, adopted and are using those concerns to establish the policy to deal with those potential unbalancing factors.  There has been a lot of in-game and forum stuff that has already been moderated somewhat that really pushed the need for this statement.  The concerns were welcome, some the surrounding bigotry that was bubbling up piggy backing those legitimate concerns was what we need to stop.

Players should not feel afraid or unwelcome when starting a game, if they do feel unwelcome then there is something unhealthy needing to be dealt with in the community.  I'm hoping the welcoming players are able to band together and be a louder voice then the hostile players are.  I don't believe that community at large is unwelcoming, but a vocal minority that is making everyone look bad.

#11 VuoriDevine

VuoriDevine

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1092 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland.
  • Server:Odin

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:38 PM

I just ask SEA players, to speak English in public chat, it's not racist its just common sense.

#12 chesz

chesz

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:38 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this, and we certainly want you and any other SEA/new player to know that you are welcome here. I know you will find friends here. Many players are looking forward to the new people coming in, and I for one am very excited to be your new community manager. Our moderation team and staff will do our best to help the atmosphere of the forums reflect this. My sincere apologies for the bad behavior that was demonstrated by some players. We are acting to stop this toxicity. I hope you can join us on Odin without worry, and if you encounter hostility, do not be afraid to report it. Our GMs will act. We want ALL players to feel welcome and enjoy themselves while playing. Thanks for giving our community another chance!

I am actually very grateful that WP has decided to take us in with our server shutting down, giving us the opportunity to continue playing the game we love without the need to start from zero.

I'm sorry if my post sounded so generalizing, it was not meant to be like that. I was just saying I felt bad while reading the berating feedbacks (not that the whole community is hostile to the incoming players). I know there are a lot of people in the server who would welcome the change as a positive server experience, and I cannot wait to let you guys see what we have to offer! See you soon!

#13 CrimsonXross

CrimsonXross

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:29 PM

I can only say thanks to WP Community manager as a SEA player for now.

#14 5318130516144610857

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:15 PM

Why is it not allowed to laugh at a vid posted here ?

Edited by 5318130516144610857, 19 September 2014 - 05:28 PM.

#15 TensaZangetsu01

TensaZangetsu01

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • LocationFallen Fortress
  • Server:Vanir

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:15 PM

Hello....

I am SEA player...and againts racism...i had join warportal just in a week and what i see is people explode with this merging and provoking that us (SEA player) are hacker,botter, duper & etc etc in-game at public...and i like..WOW!! so cold!! but i dun care too much bcoz that their expression and they are free to express anything....

i follow forum silently, and can see how iRO2 players(international RO2,not NA RO2 anymore) rage....claimed that they own the server..veteran...economic are ruined... and bla bla bla...this show that you guys still cannot accept that your server have expanded and become international.....INTERNATIONAL mean you are playing with different region players,meet new people.As for me,that should be fun as you can learn new thing.....and learn new people....we cannot go to all region of the world and this is the CHANCE! RO2 is one of the way!! Chill it up guys!!

#16 rerp

rerp

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 283 posts
  • Server:Freyja 9

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:22 PM

Just so you know, I've read more than one instance of `racist` conversations in-game, not in English. If you're going to implement something like this, do have measures to cover all ground. English isn't my native language as well, but I uphold VuoriDevine's comment above.

#17 5318130516144610857

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:55 PM

Probably some posts got censured and you didn't have time to read them. I didn't see any racism either, only generalizations that lead to false conclusions and a certain degree of hatred towards botters/dupers which, imo, is understandable.

Edited by 5318130516144610857, 20 September 2014 - 02:03 AM.

#18 Shinyusuke

Shinyusuke

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2064 posts
  • LocationItaly
  • Server:Odin

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:21 PM

It's not a matter of racist or anything else it's a matter of economics stability and legality: everyone is welcome here IF accept our game rules and it's not a "criminal". Europe when adopted the euros did a lot of studies to find the exact exange rate between the different money of each state as WARPORTAL have to do whit this merge. At the same time persons that are clearly abusing of bugs and hack (lv4 5stars pet) need to be banned and their objects wiped for the sake of all the other no matter if they came from SEA or NA. Regarding seed runes that are a big problem since they are not comparable as power abd rarity between the 2 servers just wipe them out and maybe reimplement later or never (just warn us before so we stop farm them). 3 little things to avoid reasons to be "racist", suspicious, scared and anything else. It's all up to you warpportal and it's what 99% of us (NA and SEA players) are asking.

#19 SETSUNAf6w

SETSUNAf6w

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada
  • Server:Odin ch.4

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:01 AM

That goes without saying but I sincerely hope you're not dismissing the balance issues of the SEA merge under the false impression that racism is involved. I'm pretty sure most of us wants SEA players to come here to populate the server, it's just their items we don't want.

#20 rerp

rerp

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 283 posts
  • Server:Freyja 9

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:27 AM

The best way to think about this is to just think of "what if these were two US servers?" The situation wouldn't be any different. I actually think it's the SEA players bringing race into the discussion. 

#21 Nereida

Nereida

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1107 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:14 AM

Hello....

I am SEA player...and againts racism...i had join warportal just in a week and what i see is people explode with this merging and provoking that us (SEA player) are hacker,botter, duper & etc etc in-game at public...and i like..WOW!! so cold!! but i dun care too much bcoz that their expression and they are free to express anything....

i follow forum silently, and can see how iRO2 players(international RO2,not NA RO2 anymore) rage....claimed that they own the server..veteran...economic are ruined... and bla bla bla...this show that you guys still cannot accept that your server have expanded and become international.....INTERNATIONAL mean you are playing with different region players,meet new people.As for me,that should be fun as you can learn new thing.....and learn new people....we cannot go to all region of the world and this is the CHANCE! RO2 is one of the way!! Chill it up guys!!

This never was a NA server. Only the most obtuse players thought so.

#22 AzureKikn

AzureKikn

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:42 AM

I sort of agree with VuoriDevine's comment only because when I am asking for help I never get any response and feel like an idiot because I don't understand them 0_o. Also because I am new it does not feel welcoming at all. Especially when you be nice and feel like certain people are just ignoring you. I understand if they speak no english at all...

#23 Aoshiki

Aoshiki

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:47 PM

I just ask SEA players, to speak English in public chat, it's not racist its just common sense.

Just so you know, I've read more than one instance of `racist` conversations in-game, not in English. If you're going to implement something like this, do have measures to cover all ground. English isn't my native language as well, but I uphold VuoriDevine's comment above.

+1

I'm a natural spanish speaker, yet I always speak or try to speak english because 99% have some basic english...

1. PH don't have their own server and data to transfer.

2. Who here living in Korean and want to play this game? Tell me? Gravity shutdown kRO2 because it was a big FAIL compare to other games in Korean. I don't think any Korean player will miss this game. And when kRO2 was down there is no iRO2.

3. There is no unfair here. Maybe in the future when Taiwan server is down then they will be transfer to here again with full items & gears? SEA server is the first to be transfer but later more players from many servers will be transfer here too if their server is down  :heh:

So accept & deal with it ok?

There were a lot of koreans before the honing system and pvp going down the drain, also russians and french players... I miss half of my friend list D:

The best way to think about this is to just think of "what if these were two US servers?" The situation wouldn't be any different. I actually think it's the SEA players bringing race into the discussion. 

Exactly, I always cited the ymir/valkyrie merge if RO1 as example for this...

I sort of agree with VuoriDevine's comment only because when I am asking for help I never get any response and feel like an idiot because I don't understand them 0_o. Also because I am new it does not feel welcoming at all. Especially when you be nice and feel like certain people are just ignoring you. I understand if they speak no english at all...

At least I expect they know how to say "No English :(" <=== This help in trying to help

#24 Nereida

Nereida

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1107 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:53 PM

At least I expect they know how to say "No English :(" <=== This help in trying to help

Aw, I remember this time when you people talking in filipino were told off and then one of them said (and showed) that he was bad at English and started apologizing every few sentences.

I felt sorry for the poor guy.

#25 Kupfner

Kupfner

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:54 PM

We're more than welcoming for more players, but not the broken items and inflated zeny.

I just find it ironic that WarpPortal is accusing us of causing conflicts when THEY are the ones at fault for allowing seaRO2 players to transfer their accounts. They're the ones creating an environment of inequality when they forced players from North America, Europe, Oceania, England, France, Germany, Italy, Turkey, Spain, Korea, and Philippines to ALL start on iRO2 with NOTHING, but treating the seaRO2 players like royalty by saying "oh no, you don't have to start on iRO2 with nothing like those other peons!"

WarpPortal, if you want us to stop the hostilities between players from different regions, then you need to grow a pair, put your foot down, and make EVERY player start on iRO2 ON EQUAL GROUND. That means forcing EVERYONE, regardless of where they're from, to start on iRO2 with NOTHING.

The ONLY thing you should be transferring is Kafra Cash. NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS.

If you allow item and zeny transfers, you not only affect the economy of iRO2, but the attitude of the playerbase itself. Every seaRO2 player would have the stigma of being the ONLY ONES WHO DIDN'T START FROM NOTHING. Every achievement they make on iRO2 would be marred by that fact and iRO2 players will be sure to bring it up continuously.

The ball is in your court, WarpPortal. You have the ability to nip the hostilities in the bud by ONLY ALLOWING KAFRA CASH TRANSFERS. NOTHING ELSE. Otherwise, prepare for the hate and racism to get worse.

Sry, i just wanna ask. Is ur objection is only for inflated zeny and duped items, or all of our items even it is legitly farmed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users