Looking for High-Res RO Artwork - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for High-Res RO Artwork

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:37 AM

Heyo.

I'm trying to find Ragnarok Online related artwork by the artist S.of.L, who was commissioned by Gravity for the Transcendent Classes update. The art is all 100% official. This artist's style is fairly unique in its high level of detail, emotive but subtle poses and lack of the size deformations common in more recent RO artwork. This artist has also contributed a few non-trans artworks, but not for the whole class list.

Examples as follows. Some of you will probably recognise these from the better RO wallpapers:

Spoiler

Partials of these exist in various places as part of banners and those aforementioned wallpapers, but I just can't seem to find high-res versions of the full body originals!

Any help to find them would be mega appreciated! Feel free to discuss why RO's current artworks sucks oh so many unmentionable things in comparison to the older releases.

Compare the pair:

Spoiler

Yeah I thought so.

Edited because typos.

Addendum! Ever wanted to know what class the game thought you'd be suited for? Take a look HERE! Please note the questions change based on your answers, so you won't be answering every question in the job tutorial on the first run. Post what you got! <3

Edited by AlmrOfAtlas, 22 September 2014 - 04:59 AM.

#2 juxtapposed

juxtapposed

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 497 posts
  • LocationHell's Kitchen
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:07 AM

I'm also interested in finding these hi-res images!

The only thing that I could find is this.

Edited by juxtapposed, 22 September 2014 - 03:08 AM.

#3 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:17 AM

I'm also interested in finding these hi-res images!

The only thing that I could find is this.

Yep. GracoRO is where I got the low-res images as seen in the OP. They're all shown on the Rebirth Jobs page. Graco's usually really good at referencing but, in this artist's case, there's absolutely no links on the Site List for them. Really aggravating XD

#4 juxtapposed

juxtapposed

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 497 posts
  • LocationHell's Kitchen

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:22 AM

The only thing that I dug up about S.of.L is that he also did some artwork on Card Fight Vanguard. :hmm:

I also liked LEONA's work, too. ^^,

#5 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:41 AM

Some more great artists for anyone looking are Lee Myung-jin (the man himself!), who did pretty much all of the original class artwork, and SR, who did a lot of the promotional artwork.

#6 shirotea

shirotea

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Location/where
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:55 AM

Some more great artists for anyone looking are Lee Myung-jin (the man himself!), who did pretty much all of the original class artwork, and SR, who did a lot of the promotional artwork.

Personally I really like the designs and illustrations by Lee Myung-Jin, it seems more suited with the story of the game imo.

Not sure who did the designs for the 3rd job classes, but it just... didn't fit in I think. (again, just my personal opinion.)

#7 taianlight

taianlight

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:chaos

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:55 AM

I've always admired a lot rough detail, charm and feel of the older artwork done by Lee Myung-Jin, YOYO, GoGo, S.R.

Heres a blast of nostalgia from 2003 :

http://web.archive.o...me/jobintro.asp

#8 NorthenBeggar

NorthenBeggar

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:00 AM

Are you two married? Cuz I want to marry both of you.

#9 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:01 AM

Personally I really like the designs and illustrations by Lee Myung-Jin, it seems more suited with the story of the game imo.

Not sure who did the designs for the 3rd job classes, but it just... didn't fit in I think. (again, just my personal opinion.)

You're not alone in that opinion. I always disliked how they took perfectly serviceable designs (and logical progressions!) and ruined them. The Genetic and GX are perfect examples of artistic liberties gone horribly wrong.

I've always admired a lot rough detail, charm and feel of the older artwork done by Lee Myung-Jin, YOYO, GoGo, S.R.

Heres a blast of nostalgia from 2003 :

http://web.archive.o...me/jobintro.asp

ODA. WE WANT THE NEW WEBSITE TO LOOK LIKE THIS. ODA I KNOW YOU CAN HEAR ME!

Seriously though. Dem feels. Dat nostalgia. I miss that site ;_;

#10 taianlight

taianlight

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:11 AM

That would be brilliant idea if they modernize the orignal site layout and bring back some of the orignal artwork that spark the interested and incentive of our youths.

#11 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:21 AM

That would be brilliant idea if they modernize the orignal site layout and bring back some of the orignal artwork that spark the interested and incentive of our youths.

Absolutely! The lovely bright colour scheme is also more suited to the game itself. RO was never/is not a dark and depressing game as alluded to by the black on black playragnarok site we currently use.

It was also very intuitively linked up. You could get practically anywhere from anywhere else. The job trees were illustrated, accurate and *ahem* ACTUALLY SHOWED YOU REAL STATS *cough* instead of vaguely referencing to them with terms like "low chance".

And just look at this. This by itself makes RO look like an absolute joy to play.

Edited by AlmrOfAtlas, 22 September 2014 - 04:26 AM.

#12 taianlight

taianlight

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:55 AM

I'm a wise and strong mage type = O

I totally forgot that they actually used to have all the details of skills and skill trees on the site itself.

I'm all for the idea of the site going back to its original roots. Like you pointed out RO isnt some dark and depressing game, its colorful and inviting needs a layout that compliments those things.

#13 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:57 AM

I'm a wise and strong mage type = O

Agile and nocturnal Thief type for me <3

I'm gonna add that link to the OP. It'll be fun to see what others come up with.

#14 ShinobiEX3

ShinobiEX3

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6862 posts
  • LocationForest

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:17 AM

You are like the agile and nocturnal type.

Hmmm… You won't lay a hand
on my stuff… Right? You are the thief
type.  Since you know your job…Please get away from me…

#15 littlechiyo

littlechiyo

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1560 posts
  • Server:Renewal & Classic

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:34 AM

When I first started the game there were these pamphlets that came along with the CD and it had art of those original classes. It's kinda silly but I would try to mimic the drawings of my favorite classes. I was in the fourth grade xD

#16 KamiKali

KamiKali

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 5143 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:21 AM

The image came from an artbook I believe.

http://www.animebook...on10anvich.html

Also, Brave and Strong Swordsman.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users