Improving the quality of our forums - New Player Zone and General Guides - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

Improving the quality of our forums

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 kiddomaddo

kiddomaddo

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 510 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:51 PM

Hello,

This post is regarding basic forum etiquettes and overall phrasing of posts. Lately most of the posts (especially concerning the personal opinions of players in general) are loud and ill mannered. I understand that many of you are tired of typing out similar posts over and over without receiving an effective answer from the targeted recipient. However loud and rude posts is the last way to achieve the desired result.

I am concerned for the new players (which is already rare) that might happen to drop by on our forums. The game which many of us do still love will be judged the community forums. Most of the topics are negative and attack the GMs/CMs/other players in general. Reading the posts is like listening to a group of 14 year olds yelling at each other nonstop. Difference of opinion straightaway leads to personal insults.

I will list out a few suggestions of possible ways in which we can improve the standard of our forums in general:

• Ego: Try and keep this under check. Many of have ego issues which can be controlled (yes it is possible). What is absurd is online ego(over a game). Put this into perspective everytime you post. I doubt anyone ever will care about your electronic-penis(i wanted to use the entire term to really make its point).
  • Rude posts will not be read well or understood. The target will respond to them the same he/she would in real life. Ignore or reply with the same aggression.
  • Pessimistic posts continue to have a negative effect both on the issue and the community as a whole. For eg: "The doom is near. Server is coming to an end" ; "I don't want to play anymore, this sucks." ; "Rampant cheating forever. Everyone should cheat";
  • Condescending posts. Sure you have been playing for 25 years and know everything about the game, the mechanics, the parents and its relatives but making condescending posts in response to people who question you is plainly arrogant. Sure some of the posts are "stupid" according to you so you could just either ignore them or humour them. Get off your high horse. Nobody likes a know it all. Your attitude can make a big difference; educating someone or adding more hate.
  • Try and post as if you would be talking to someone in person (Do not try if you are arrogant and ill-mannered in real life. In this case be opposite of whom you are) Start out by asking yourself, if I said this, would I get punched on the face?

ADDITIONAL SUGGESTIONS BY THE COMMUNITY

• "you forgot TROLL post. posters whose existence are just to annoy other people" - fuyukikun
  • "i think what it really breaks down into is show some restraint, dont be a douche, and they need to start cutting troll posts out of threads (they never help anything)... just my 2 cents" - Facekiller
  • "Moderation of repeated harassment would help curb ill-will on the forums." - Xellie
  • Something along the lines "Can't happen, hopes it will" - DarkGazer

Lastly please consider that new potential players will be looking at our forums. We need them to join for the longevity of the game.

If you have any further suggestions, please feel free to add them. If you disagree with me, I urge you to express it in an acceptable manner. I wish all of you a wonderful forum posting experience.

Let us make our forums a better forum?

Have a wonderful day.

PS: Notice I did not use the mature card. I will assume that many of the players are not yet mature/or ignore the concept of maturity totally(I do that a lot) hence I went with the self preservation concept.

Edited by kiddomaddo, 24 September 2014 - 05:07 AM.

#2 DarkGazer

DarkGazer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1842 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:02 AM

I'm up for a bright and better forum community and all, but you know... asking this forum to be a better place is like the equivalent of asking the DotA2 or LoL community (or any other MOBA community) to become civilized and start respecting each other. Granted, those communities are way worse... but after reading the posts and seeing the events that happened here ever since I recently registered, that's kinda what it feels like for me.

Just saying my 2 cents as a player who came to RO recently. I got nothing against your suggestion, heck I'd like it if it actually did happen.

#3 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:04 AM

Moderation of repeated harassment would help curb ill-will on the forums.

It's super important.

#4 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:06 AM

I feel this should be pinned.

Despite the unholy euphoric joy I experience from watching two people bicker over nothings and make themselves look awful in the process, it's going a bit too far. If it happens every day, every few hours it's just not fun anymore!

I wonder how that call for general forum VMods is going.

#5 DarkGazer

DarkGazer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1842 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:08 AM

Moderation of repeated harassment would help curb ill-will on the forums.

It's super important.

Umm... nothing against you (heck, I don't even know you at all), but it's kinda weird to see this post from you after running across this.

http://forums.warppo...i-events/page-2

:p_swt:

#6 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:09 AM

Umm... nothing against you (heck, I don't even know you at all), but it's kinda weird to see this post from you after running across this.

That whole thing was provoked. You just can't see where it started due to the offending post being modded.

#7 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:21 AM

Basically, they were talking some crap about my personal life and that got editted out but the rest remained.

I'm not feeling like just waiting till the "next incident" right now

Is it weird right? But I'm really tired of feeling cornered and defensive like that.  :p_sad:

#8 DarkGazer

DarkGazer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1842 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:27 AM

Basically, they were talking some crap about my personal life and that got editted out but the rest remained.

I'm not feeling like just waiting till the "next incident" right now

Is it weird right? But I'm really tired of feeling cornered and defensive like that.  :p_sad:

Oh, right. Forgot about the whole "posts can get deleted/edited when you cross the line" thing.

Nevermind then. Can't really say anything about it since I don't even know what the heck was going on. My bad.  

:wah:

#9 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:36 AM

Well you know its bad when a post starts with "This may be the drink talking but...."

Ah that's what mods are for.

#10 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:39 AM

i try to think about what im saying when i post... believe it or not  i heavily censor myself alot of the time here... mostly i think about how im going to look when i respond to a post... and its not easy to keep calm when you are personally attacked or being trolled... i see posts like Xellie's posts as passionate about the game... yes its "just a game" but for some of us its a game weve been playing for a long time and have invested time money and a bit of ourselves into... maybe we care too much about it... we want to keep playing it and we want it to be fun... things start getting really dirty around a few key points: PVP, WoE, TI, the Economy, Bots/cheats/hacks/duping/RMT/ect, and Abuse/Harassment... i personally try to stay out of WoE/PVP drama since i dont participate in those activities and ive decided to leave the TI issue alone... the other issues are server wide issues that effect everyone and should be spoken out about... just in a calmer matter... people also get touchy when it comes to what the GMs can/cannot do mostly because its not always clear (especially to newer players) what is and isnt possible for them to do... anyhow... i think what it really breaks down into is show some restraint, dont be a douche, and they need to start cutting troll posts out of threads (they never help anything)... just my 2 cents

#11 DarkGazer

DarkGazer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1842 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:46 AM

i try to think about what im saying when i post... believe it or not  i heavily censor myself alot of the time here... mostly i think about how im going to look when i respond to a post... and its not easy to keep calm when you are personally attacked or being trolled... i see posts like Xellie's posts as passionate about the game... yes its "just a game" but for some of us its a game weve been playing for a long time and have invested time money and a bit of ourselves into... maybe we care too much about it... we want to keep playing it and we want it to be fun... things start getting really dirty around a few key points: PVP, WoE, TI, the Economy, Bots/cheats/hacks/duping/RMT/ect, and Abuse/Harassment... i personally try to stay out of WoE/PVP drama since i dont participate in those activities and ive decided to leave the TI issue alone... the other issues are server wide issues that effect everyone and should be spoken out about... just in a calmer matter... people also get touchy when it comes to what the GMs can/cannot do mostly because its not always clear (especially to newer players) what is and isnt possible for them to do... anyhow... i think what it really breaks down into is show some restraint, dont be a douche, and they need to start cutting troll posts out of threads (they never help anything)... just my 2 cents

You know the place is hopeless when a sock puppet makes more sense than most of the people who post here. :heh:

Joking about the sock puppet thing, in case I get into trouble

#12 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:00 AM

You know the place is hopeless when a sock puppet makes more sense than most of the people who post here. :heh:

Joking about the sock puppet thing, in case I get into trouble

i think thats the first time anybody has said i make sense here lmao... :no1:

#13 fuyukikun

fuyukikun

Disney Prince in Disguise

• Members
  • 12269 posts
  • LocationIndonesia
  • Server:Chaos, on hiatus

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:36 AM

you forgot TROLL post. posters whose existence are just to annoy other people

#14 NorthenBeggar

NorthenBeggar

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 718 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:09 AM

you forgot TROLL post. posters whose existence are just to annoy other people

You called?

#15 LoveIsBlue

LoveIsBlue

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:36 AM

read what you like, search what you want, ask what you need.

#16 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:55 AM

Everyone needs a thick skin to forray into the internet if they want to survive. You wouldn't go to the mountains without a coat would you? If you're not prepared to be assailed by the environment, don't go.

#17 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:56 AM

the CMs need to start handing out forum bans for personal attacks... one warning and then youre gone for a few weeks... after that ban is lifted no more warnings... if you didnt learn the first time youre too dumb to be posting on the forums...

#18 Gn1ydnu

Gn1ydnu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2077 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Server:Classic

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:10 AM

Few years ago the forums were more strict. Only reason I have this account is my other (same name just backwards) got banned for posting a pvp video in the wrong section. Not sure when they became more lax.

OP is right. Do onto others as you would want to be done to you

#19 Alaska

Alaska

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 4817 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

I love the idea behind this post, I just have a hard time believing it'll get to the people who actually need it. 

And just because the internet is well known for being a scary place, doesn't mean our forums need to be. There's nothing wrong with trying to make them better.

Edited by Alaska, 24 September 2014 - 10:22 AM.

#20 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:25 AM

Everyone needs a thick skin to forray into the internet if they want to survive. You wouldn't go to the mountains without a coat would you? If you're not prepared to be assailed by the environment, don't go.

This is such a bad outlook to take on it. It's not okay to be a jerk because you think others should be able to handle it.

#21 Viri

Viri

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6295 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:29 AM

This is such a bad outlook to take on it. It's not okay to be a jerk because you think others should be able to handle it.

You also shouldn't have to tiptoe around constantly in fear of offending someone. There's a happy middle ground possible, on here it tends to swing towards the aggressive side for some reason though.(or outright nasty sometimes, I suppose.)

#22 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:35 AM

Being unable to handle adult discourse, particularly inconvenient truths and less than sugar coated details goes a long way into not creating bickering. Also being mature enough to simply report posts that violate terms of use (such as personal attacks, threats, etc) rather than responding in kind also are incredibly formative in peaceful atmosphere. Making black and white distinctions and trying to villify certain people is too easy and convenient and doesn't realistically make a better place.

#23 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:37 AM

I do rather think the aggressive behaviour and personal attacks should be discouraged rather than justified.

I must live in fantasy land.

#24 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:42 AM

I do rather think the aggressive behaviour and personal attacks should be discouraged rather than justified.

I must live in fantasy land.

You said it yourself: moderation.

If someone enters a thread for no other reason than to insult a poster or otherwise take swings, not to be confused with simply disagreeing (even if not nicely) this is already real estate for moderation. Posters could freelance themselves and report posts they think violate terms of use if they want to see stepped up moderation.

Edited by Jaye, 24 September 2014 - 10:42 AM.

#25 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:43 AM

Unfortunately, not a lot of people have the patience nor the fortitude to babysit forum posters. The turnover rate for mods have been very high lately because of that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users