Improving the quality of our forums - Page 2 - New Player Zone and General Guides - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

Improving the quality of our forums

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#26 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:All

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:49 AM

:o

#27 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:00 AM

Well, being a mod requires you to read every post to screen for rulebreakers, no? Some people can only afford to lose so many brain cells from the stupid ones.

#28 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:01 AM

You said it yourself: moderation.

If someone enters a thread for no other reason than to insult a poster or otherwise take swings, not to be confused with simply disagreeing (even if not nicely) this is already real estate for moderation. Posters could freelance themselves and report posts they think violate terms of use if they want to see stepped up moderation.

Well yes.

But you of all people should be aware of the repeat offenders defended by this mentality.

I wanna point out that 80% or so of reports have gone unnoticed for months. It usually takes someone making a scene for people to pick up on the fact that the mods haven't been doing their jobs.

Edited by Xellie, 24 September 2014 - 11:04 AM.

#29 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:07 AM

It usually takes someone making a scene for people to pick up on the fact that the mods haven't been doing their jobs.

Sounds like that may be a separate concern that could be addressed as well.

#30 Telovi

Telovi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:18 AM

Yeah OP, I totally agreed with you, and folks, for the 9th times, seaRO2 players are not what you think they are, so please be ni…..

….oh crap. Wrong block. Sorry. New here. But the topic sounds awfully related. 

#31 Alaska

Alaska

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 4817 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:20 AM

Yeah OP, I totally agreed with you, and folks, for the 9th times, seaRO2 players are not what you think they are, so please be ni…..

….oh crap. Wrong block. Sorry. New here. But the topic sounds awfully related. 

This post should be pinned in every forum, haha.  :P

#32 HeIIraiser

HeIIraiser

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1201 posts
  • LocationUranus

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:37 PM

Hello,

This post is regarding basic forum etiquettes and overall phrasing of posts. Lately most of the posts (especially concerning the personal opinions of players in general) are loud and ill mannered. I understand that many of you are tired of typing out similar posts over and over without receiving an effective answer from the targeted recipient. However loud and rude posts is the last way to achieve the desired result.

I am concerned for the new players (which is already rare) that might happen to drop by on our forums. The game which many of us do still love will be judged the community forums. Most of the topics are negative and attack the GMs/CMs/other players in general. Reading the posts is like listening to a group of 14 year olds yelling at each other nonstop. Difference of opinion straightaway leads to personal insults.

I will list out a few suggestions of possible ways in which we can improve the standard of our forums in general:

• Ego: Try and keep this under check. Many of have ego issues which can be controlled (yes it is possible). What is absurd is online ego(over a game). Put this into perspective everytime you post. I doubt anyone ever will care about your electronic-penis(i wanted to use the entire term to really make its point).
  • Rude posts will not be read well or understood. The target will respond to them the same he/she would in real life. Ignore or reply with the same aggression.
  • Pessimistic posts continue to have a negative effect both on the issue and the community as a whole. For eg: "The doom is near. Server is coming to an end" ; "I don't want to play anymore, this sucks." ; "Rampant cheating forever. Everyone should cheat";
  • Condescending posts. Sure you have been playing for 25 years and know everything about the game, the mechanics, the parents and its relatives but making condescending posts in response to people who question you is plainly arrogant. Sure some of the posts are "stupid" according to you so you could just either ignore them or humour them. Get off your high horse. Nobody likes a know it all. Your attitude can make a big difference; educating someone or adding more hate.
  • Try and post as if you would be talking to someone in person (Do not try if you are arrogant and ill-mannered in real life. In this case be opposite of whom you are) Start out by asking yourself, if I said this, would I get punched on the face?

ADDITIONAL SUGGESTIONS BY THE COMMUNITY

• "you forgot TROLL post. posters whose existence are just to annoy other people" - fuyukikun
  • "i think what it really breaks down into is show some restraint, dont be a douche, and they need to start cutting troll posts out of threads (they never help anything)... just my 2 cents" - Facekiller
  • "Moderation of repeated harassment would help curb ill-will on the forums." - Xellie
  • Something along the lines "Can't happen, hopes it will" - DarkGazer

Lastly please consider that new potential players will be looking at our forums. We need them to join for the longevity of the game.

If you have any further suggestions, please feel free to add them. If you disagree with me, I urge you to express it in an acceptable manner. I wish all of you a wonderful forum posting experience.

Let us make our forums a better forum?

Have a wonderful day.

PS: Notice I did not use the mature card. I will assume that many of the players are not yet mature/or ignore the concept of maturity totally(I do that a lot) hence I went with the self preservation concept.

Ironically nobody likes a dumbass either :p_smile:

Nobody likes a know it all, and nobody likes a dumbass. Where do you draw the line?  Most people play dumb when in most case scenerios because I have noticed they do not want to share their knowledge with anyone, they are afraid you might steal away their secrets and go off taking their authority power and privilages; most importantly their opportunities.

Don't you think that is a bit too selfish on their behalf? But then again... Who am I to speak and judge right? This whole community is filled with a lot of instigators, they will attack you no matter what the circumstance is; just because they dont simply agree with what you say or because they dont embrace the reality, so why not be prepared and learn how to defend yourself?

Just like that whole "Thick skin" when you are roaming in the internet. "You don't go up the mountains without a coat."  It's true...

And you are forgetting the fact that most people are on drugs; whether it is illegal drugs or prescribed drugs, it alters their mind, their ego, their mentality and personality/ whatver.

I understand most of you are seeking world peace. Just like many of our predecessors

i.e. John Lennon "Give peace a chance" but look what ended up happening to him? His obssesed fan ended up killing an iconic legend.

I wouldn't doubt there are freaks in here who would do the same just to get revenge on someone. Imagine... Someone killing someone in real life just because they KS them?

:heh:

Anyways, I really tried being "nice" to the whole community in general. But I have to thank a few special individuals who made me stronger in the trolling department. :thumb2:

Keep up the good work.

Edited by HeIIraiser, 24 September 2014 - 02:46 PM.

#33 davdbg

davdbg

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 691 posts
  • Server:chaos and classic(?)

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

Well I see a diference between someone who have a lot of knowledge (just for example Dr.Izzy) and a know-it-all guy, lets put an example of how each one will answer the hypotetical question "how do I sell stuff to an NPC.
-The one with a lot of knowledge: Well its pretty easy, you go to X NPC, talk to him and select the "sell" option, put the items you wanna sell, click on ok and done.
I also suggest to make a merchant and use the skill "overcharge" to get more porfit of it.

On the other side

-the know-it-all guy: LOL what a noob question dumbass, go to play some tetrix, if you don't know how to do that you are less than thrash... i have been playing this game for 9 zillions of years so you have to respect me in every way...also i don't like the way you play, do it my way and every other way is wrong or not fun or for it's too easy, I do that the "hard" way so again I'm better that all you guys...blahblahblahblah...and remember I will be posting this every topic I find even if its not related...

Well, something like that, I belive that you can get the point.

#34 Rythen

Rythen

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 959 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:RE:Start

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:11 PM

Everyone needs a thick skin to forray into the internet if they want to survive. You wouldn't go to the mountains without a coat would you? If you're not prepared to be assailed by the environment, don't go.

People can be so cruel and heartless on the internet.  :(

#35 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:29 PM

just because people should have "thick skins" when going online doesnt mean others should do their best to pierce said skins...

#36 Demeris

Demeris

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2213 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:00 PM

The forums would have less complaints if the GM stops screwing over the community.

Look at the USRC drama and TI threads. All involve GMs making poor decisions which leads to people feeling aggrivated.

#37 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:16 PM

The forums would have less complaints if the GM stops screwing over the community.

Look at the USRC drama and TI threads. All involve GMs making poor decisions which leads to people feeling aggrivated.

i agreewith this to a certain extent... i think that they made the right call as far as DQing them pending review... however there should have been much more communication about what was being done at each step... we dont have control over how the GMs act but we DO have control over how we react to such things...

#38 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:47 PM

Well I see a diference between someone who have a lot of knowledge (just for example Dr.Izzy) and a know-it-all guy, lets put an example of how each one will answer the hypotetical question "how do I sell stuff to an NPC.
-The one with a lot of knowledge: Well its pretty easy, you go to X NPC, talk to him and select the "sell" option, put the items you wanna sell, click on ok and done.
I also suggest to make a merchant and use the skill "overcharge" to get more porfit of it.

On the other side

-the know-it-all guy: LOL what a noob question dumbass, go to play some tetrix, if you don't know how to do that you are less than thrash... i have been playing this game for 9 zillions of years so you have to respect me in every way...also i don't like the way you play, do it my way and every other way is wrong or not fun or for it's too easy, I do that the "hard" way so again I'm better that all you guys...blahblahblahblah...and remember I will be posting this every topic I find even if its not related...

Well, something like that, I belive that you can get the point.

A lot of the problem is actually perception. Where the person accusing someone else of being a know-it-all is the real instigator due to obstinance and lack of respect for a senior in the field.

#39 davdbg

davdbg

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 691 posts
  • Server:chaos and classic(?)

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:40 PM

Well, the problem (or what i was trying to say) is the way you say the things.
But I agree with you abouth the percepcion.
Also there are a lot of people that took all this things way too personal or they get offended very easy.

#40 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:46 PM

If you think you can do better, go apply, they are hiring.  Come help improve the quality of the game with your wisdom.

Edited by Inubashiri, 24 September 2014 - 05:47 PM.

#41 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:15 PM

If you think you can do better, go apply, they are hiring.  Come help improve the quality of the game with your wisdom.

I would but the commute is ridiculous.

#42 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:27 PM

And they do not pay good, right?

they pay well enough for Oda to take trips to hawaii and japan...

#43 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:31 PM

nope they were vacations

#44 Rythen

Rythen

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 959 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:RE:Start

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:50 PM

To be fair, you can vacation anywhere if you spend long enough saving up. It's just not feasible most of the time.

#45 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:56 PM

Dealing with RO players? They better get paid enough to go wherever the hell they like!

#46 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:55 PM

I didn't even have vaation days at my job let alone the money to afford trips out of country. /desp

#47 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:56 PM

Where do I sign up?

http://www.warpportal.com/careers.aspx

Hope you can get to southern California from where you are.

#48 VolunteerMod05

VolunteerMod05

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:16 PM

If WP pays for my trips then, why not? They will be the ones in charge to relocate me.

I believe Oda said he was being paid in pesos long long ago.

#49 Alicia

Alicia

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1912 posts
  • LocationLocation Location
  • Server:Disconnected

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:21 PM

I believe you work for Warp Portal Energy, as was said recently.

Now that we know what everyone's currency is, we can convert it in fun ways!

#50 Alicia

Alicia

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1912 posts
  • LocationLocation Location
  • Server:Disconnected

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:12 PM

I sincerely approve of the topic in that we should improve the way we communicate.

I log in often and find that there are so many false barriers set in place, and for no reason.

There's a lot of really fun people playing this game, and often I would like to be thankful for it,

but after reading a few lines... I decide not to. It rains on the parade, in a way, and takes away all of the shine.

Sometimes I would like to create topics thenking people at South Prontera for example, because we had so much fun.

But I can't because most people think that South Prontera is for lamers and such. But it's not - I meet a lot of interesting people there! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users