#1 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:58 PM

At the moment this only applies to the testing versions of windows 10. We'll have to see microsofts response once the consumer version of windows 10 is released.

http://www.forbes.co...dows-10-spying/

"In short: Microsoft can view your existing files and keylog everything you type when you create new ones. Use Windows 10 and you are agreeing to give access to all your data to the company."

Microsofts response to that is:

"For example, all data sent from the Windows 10 Technical Preview to Microsoft is encrypted in transit and we store the personal information you provide on computer systems that have limited access and are in controlled facilities."

They NEVER say that the information will be deleted or removed or anything. They say they are going to store it, even if its in a "limited access and controlled facility", but thats all just legal deception (when you analyze statements and laws, its EXTREMELY important to recognize what is NOT there as well as the definitions of ambiguous and undefined words like "controlled facilities"). They never say they wont give the data out to marketing companies, the government, or any other organization.

Those of you naysayers or anti-"tinfoil hat" people don't be so quick to judge. Any and Every large company will screw their customer base for the right price if they believe they wont get caught. Look at the many, many corporate scandals we've had where companies have had to apologize after being caught red handed and public outcry was large enough to force the courts hand against them. And that's just the ones that were caught, sometimes after years upon years of duping their customers. Every large company has gotten on top because they've put profit before the individual. Large companies focus is, and always will be profit, regardless of who it hurts.

#2 inuko23

inuko23

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1182 posts
  • Server:Chaos, Odin (RO2)

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:19 AM

*sticking with my windows 8*

#3 Talvis

Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Midwest
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:48 PM

*Still has Windows 7*

#4 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:30 PM

No wonder they skipped 9; they wanted to make sure the odd numbers don't get a bad rep. That's some strange dedication.

#5 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:04 PM

No wonder they skipped 9; they wanted to make sure the odd numbers don't get a bad rep. That's some strange dedication.

Actually there's a bunch of theories as to why they skipped 9, the most reasonable one I've come across is that windows 9 would create loads of errors with programs. Many programs still support windows 95/99, and having windows 9 would make it attempt to call the program versions associated with windows 9x, and just create a massive hassle and tons of conflicts. That is basically what I read on it that seemed most likely as to why.

#6 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:46 PM

Many programs still support windows 95/99, and having windows 9 would make it attempt to call the program versions associated with windows 9x, and just create a massive hassle and tons of conflicts. That is basically what I read on it that seemed most likely as to why.

The flip is wrong with those programmers??

#7 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:08 AM

It shouldn't be an issue since programmers' BEST PRACTICES work with the internal version and build number; 4.0 for 95, 4.1 for 98, and 4.9 for ME. There's also the NT thing at XP+ w/e.

But lazy programmers are lazy yo.

#8 yurioj75

yurioj75

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationAssindia, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
  • Playing:Dragon Saga

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:39 AM

What programmers would use is a Windows API function like this:

BOOL WINAPI GetVersionEx(
  _Inout_  LPOSVERSIONINFO lpVersionInfo
);

which fills a data structure with this infos:

typedef struct _OSVERSIONINFOEX {
  DWORD dwOSVersionInfoSize;
  DWORD dwMajorVersion;
  DWORD dwMinorVersion;
  DWORD dwBuildNumber;
  DWORD dwPlatformId;
  TCHAR szCSDVersion[128];
  WORD  wServicePackMajor;
  WORD  wServicePackMinor;
  WORD  wSuiteMask;
  BYTE  wProductType;
  BYTE  wReserved;
} OSVERSIONINFOEX, *POSVERSIONINFOEX, *LPOSVERSIONINFOEX;

You see, you get all infos about the windows version you need.

No programmer would check for Windows 9x with the '9' in the name these days.

Besides this, who still wants to check for a Win9x version. It's so outdated that it won't work on modern hardware, because there aren't any up-to-date drivers available.

#9 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 26 October 2014 - 04:42 PM

What programmers would use is a Windows API function like this:

BOOL WINAPI GetVersionEx(
  _Inout_  LPOSVERSIONINFO lpVersionInfo
);

which fills a data structure with this infos:

typedef struct _OSVERSIONINFOEX {
  DWORD dwOSVersionInfoSize;
  DWORD dwMajorVersion;
  DWORD dwMinorVersion;
  DWORD dwBuildNumber;
  DWORD dwPlatformId;
  TCHAR szCSDVersion[128];
  WORD  wServicePackMajor;
  WORD  wServicePackMinor;
  WORD  wSuiteMask;
  BYTE  wProductType;
  BYTE  wReserved;
} OSVERSIONINFOEX, *POSVERSIONINFOEX, *LPOSVERSIONINFOEX;

You see, you get all infos about the windows version you need.

No programmer would check for Windows 9x with the '9' in the name these days.

Besides this, who still wants to check for a Win9x version. It's so outdated that it won't work on modern hardware, because there aren't any up-to-date drivers available.

You're seriously overestimating the competency of the average programmer.

Also you seemed to have missed the point of this conversation. This is regarding LECAGY program conflicts. Nobody would use such an identifier today, sure, but today isn't the problem :P

#10 Miochuwaan

Miochuwaan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:17 PM

The future scares me. Where do i buy(pirate) my bombs(anime) for terrorism(enjoyment) when everything gets spied on?

#11 Neoyoshi

Neoyoshi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNew York - USA
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Freyja

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:41 PM

They just can't help themselves.... *sighs*  in beta it was Windows 9, -now it's 10.

By the time 10 is being pushed onto the general public like 8.1 is right now, Windows 13 will be in Beta-testing.

I can't keep up with this Company anymore.  left_right105_007.gif

I guess it could always be worse, we could still be stuck with Windows 98'  *cringes*

And Millennium edition (Win ME)... i like to pretend that never existed.

#12 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:50 PM

The future scares me. Where do i buy(pirate) my bombs(anime) for terrorism(enjoyment) when everything gets spied on?

You learn to hack and proxy. This is the digital age, and there are always vulnerabilities to every electronic system. That is especially true if they are linked to the web, then there's always a way around. The only safe method of procurement of items is to keep it "old school" and non digital. That's why governments around the world are trying to force everyone to use electronic payments and no physical cash anymore. They want to know everything you're doing.

I personally buy most things with cash because my business is my business, not some banks, nor some marketing company that might somehow obtain the information of what I buy.

They just can't help themselves.... *sighs*  in beta it was Windows 9, -now it's 10.

By the time 10 is being pushed onto the general public like 8.1 is right now, Windows 13 will be in Beta-testing.

I can't keep up with this Company anymore.  left_right105_007.gif

I guess it could always be worse, we could still be stuck with Windows 98'  *cringes*

And Millennium edition (Win ME)... i like to pretend that never existed.

I won't be upgrading beyond 7. When they stop support for 7, I'll go to linux. That's more secure than following microsoft or apple down the dirty path.

#13 Cleffy

Cleffy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2377 posts
  • Playing:Requiem

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:39 AM

I wouldn't worry too much. This is a test version, so it only makes sense they are testing. More than likely they are testing usability as a main complaint in Windows 8 was the UI. Plus it should not surprise anyone that any outbound packet they send will be saved by the NSA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users