Inflated Economy? New 2nd Currency - Proposals and Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Inflated Economy? New 2nd Currency

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MonkeyMajik

MonkeyMajik

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:55 AM

Ok so another radical suggestion but the inflation in RO is just insane. 

One potential way to tackle it other than a total wipe could be to phase Zeny out for the most part.

This could be done by leaving Zeny in for NPC deals for things like potions etc but make vending/deals dependent on a new currency. If done so that the new currency isn't easily farmable and there is no way to convert Zeny > New Currency, you would potentially be able to reset the inflation without penalizing new (who would still be able to buy usable items and vend rare drops) or old players (who would still have their items).

Edited by MonkeyMajik, 22 October 2014 - 04:57 AM.

#2 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:05 PM

http://forums.warppo...level-currency/

The Ragnarok manhwa that RO is based on has 2 levels of currency, but for some reason RO's developers only went with one of them. The 2 currencies were implemented for RO2 though, so I dunno why they didn't do the same for RO.

#3 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:54 AM

Ok so another radical suggestion but the inflation in RO is just insane. 

One potential way to tackle it other than a total wipe could be to phase Zeny out for the most part.

This could be done by leaving Zeny in for NPC deals for things like potions etc but make vending/deals dependent on a new currency. If done so that the new currency isn't easily farmable and there is no way to convert Zeny > New Currency, you would potentially be able to reset the inflation without penalizing new (who would still be able to buy usable items and vend rare drops) or old players (who would still have their items).

you are forgetting the fact that you are penalizing those who have a lot of accumulated zeny wealth in the game.  how will they be compensated?  just saying they get to keep their items doesn't mean squat.

the game needs zeny sinks, not a complete phase out of the current currency system.

#4 KamiKali

KamiKali

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 5143 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:35 AM

I don't see any inflation. Rather there's horrible deflation going on.

#5 belmarmaduk

belmarmaduk

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:44 AM

You guys are seeing Zeny inflation as a problem, but it's only really a problem for players doing extremely high value sales. For anything vendable or under the zeny limit the difference between an inflated economy and an uninflated economy is mostly superficial. While I would say Ragnarok has progressed to the point where simply farming items to sell for zeny in the shop is no longer really a viable option, making money in an inflated economy from other players is absurdly easy and at this point giving players an option to *not* participate in a player economy is a bad idea, considering the health of the game.

I would agree that a fix needs to come in for the zeny cap trading issue, but hyperinflation is never a real issue in a digital economy because most of the logistical problems that arise from hyperinflation (rapid devaluation, cost of printing currency, carrying currency, etc) are all irrelevant. The cost of items in digital economies and the value of currency are purely arbitrary values. As long as the values remain constant at all levels of the economy the barrier to entry is no higher, and if anything, the much greater availability of currency lends more fluidity to the market - it's easier to enter and participate in the player economy now than ever before, because many of the low level items you used to only be able to dump on a vendor can now be sold in player shops because the huge availability of currency makes paying for quest items or low end consumables financially viable.

TL;DR Inflation only effects you, the player, negatively if you're sitting on billions of zeny for months at a time. The number of 0s at the end of your Zeny total is purely arbitrary and the more 0s you have the better the player economy becomes. Inflation in a digital currency is a good thing.

I don't see any inflation. Rather there's horrible deflation going on.

I don't know if there's deflation going on so much this month as it's suddenly become apparent how much of the player economy is intrinsically tied to Glastheim and the monsters that have been in Turn-Ins this month. I can think of a dozen items between 10 and 50 million zeny that have had their values drop in half, but that's appropriate considering the droprates have doubled. Basically, there's no deflation - it's just inflation on the supply side. Expect prices to normalize after the spotlight ends.

Edited by belmarmaduk, 23 October 2014 - 07:57 AM.

#6 Havenn

Havenn

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6523 posts
  • LocationRagnarok Online

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:38 AM

Basically everything has gone down in value over the last 6 months

#7 belmarmaduk

belmarmaduk

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:50 AM

Basically everything has gone down in value over the last 6 months

Yeah but that's a result of item inflation, not zeny deflation. The value of a Raydric card in relation to the value of other Raydric cards has nothing to do with the value of zeny and everything to do with the availability of the item and the number of available purchasers. The same goes for all of the high profile lucky box items. You guys beg for high profile items to come back (Skull Cap / WPH was practically begged for in this lucky box) and then the value tanks and there's shock at the economic effect. FAW ending up in a lucky box doesn't mean that lucky boxes are always going to yield you a 200 million zeny item, it means the value of the item's going to tank so bad that by the end of the lucky box event people will be selling FAW in vendor shops for less than 99m.

An important thing to remember about a player economy is that the economic trends shift incredibly fast. The market is very volatile and the price of something can spike or drop at a moment's notice. In MMOs that get frequent (3-4x a year) updates an item that is ridiculously OP and valuable might lose all worth overnight. I get the feeling that some people want to be able to sit on these old lucky box items for years in the hopes that they will appreciate infinitely. The only way to future proof yourself if you're mothballing an account or are trying to bring down your zeny generation time to one or two months a year is to reach an arbitrarily high amount of currency with no items and take the reliable and accountable hit from inflation. Investing in rare items over the long term is never a good idea because you can't account for gameplay changes that may reintroduce those rare items into the game (or simply render them irrelevant)

Edited by belmarmaduk, 23 October 2014 - 08:52 AM.

#8 KamiKali

KamiKali

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 5143 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:12 PM

We're referring to MVP cards and gods, not normal items.

#9 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:17 PM

Investing in rare items over the long term is never a good idea because you can't account for gameplay changes that may reintroduce those rare items into the game (or simply render them irrelevant)

mooJaeQ.gif

#10 Riakuta

Riakuta

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4153 posts
  • LocationNeed to Know

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:45 AM

There already is a currency that let's you trade up to 600 billion zeny in a single trade. Mystical Card Album

#11 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:26 PM

mooJaeQ.gif

they're not that valuable.  even as recently as a couple weeks ago they were selling in the low 10 millions.  If they haven't been re-released since it was first introduced in the RO OST soundtrack, then low 10s for something that's almost 8 yrs old is not a good investment.  I think the interest rate in the US is higher than that.

#12 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:42 PM

Protip: inflation is readily defeated by zero demand.

#13 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:56 PM

they're not that valuable.  even as recently as a couple weeks ago they were selling in the low 10 millions.  If they haven't been re-released since it was first introduced in the RO OST soundtrack, then low 10s for something that's almost 8 yrs old is not a good investment.  I think the interest rate in the US is higher than that.

That's what I meant. And they were reintroduced to the general public which killed their rarity.

NEVER FORGET.

#14 Rus1

Rus1

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:39 PM

Protip: inflation is readily defeated by zero demand.

This is predigested wisdom.

#15 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:11 PM

Its pretty much common sense.

#16 Rus1

Rus1

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:12 PM

Underplaying a compliment is out of style.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users