[ 10/29 - 11/4 ] Weekly Ralis Conundrum! #11: Nightmare on Elf Street - Conundrum event archive - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

[ 10/29 - 11/4 ] Weekly Ralis Conundrum! #11: Nightmare on Elf Street

42 replies to this topic

#1 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Classic

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:46 AM

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngThe Ralis ConundrumSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

School has started up again, and that means it's time to get your brain back in shape!

Every Wednesday, at some varying point of the day, I'll be posting some sort of weekly challenge for you to figure out. Each week brings a new puzzle: it may be a math problem, a riddle or something else entirely. Whatever it may be, you'll have to use a little (or a lot of) brain power to figure it out. These puzzles may require knowledge outside of Ragnarok! Anyone is capable of finding the answer, but I cannot guarantee you will always know what to do if you have little to no understanding of Ragnarok, computers, math, science, etc.

The competition is open to both servers! Chaos Renewal and Classic Loki players may both enter their answers. It may help you to know, then, that the answer to each challenge will be something that can be found by players of both servers.

Correct answers may win a prize at the end of the week. However, only a certain number of prizes can be given out and all correct answers are entered into the prize pool. Please do not try and use multiple accounts to get better odds! We check account connections. If you're caught doing this, you will be automatically disqualified from present and future competitions... Including OTHER events on the forums as well.

Correct answers that are not chosen for the weekly prize will gain points depending on how many people get the correct answer! When you've saved up 20 points (points will be kept track in the 3rd post of each thread), you can PM me any time during the week to trade your points in for the current week's prize. You may only trade in points once a week for a single prize, so keep that in mind if you're trying to save up for a "better" prize. Winners of the weekly prize may PM me by the end of the week to opt out of the weekly prize, instead receiving he amount of points awarded as a participation prize for that week, up to a total of 20.

Please keep in mind that the theme for each week is not always a factor in figuring out the puzzle. This does not mean that it will never have an impact, but rather that you should not assume that you must travel to a location or that the answer must fit the theme given in that week's conundrum.

Please do not post or PM your answers. Use the link below the challenge to submit answers!

You may freely adjust your entry until each week's deadline.

Helpful links:

iRO Wiki

iRO Wiki Renewal Database

iRO Wiki Classic Database

Google

I don't consider search engines cheating. You will never find the answer directly, but always use your resources!

Please be cautious when asking questions about the puzzle of the week on the forums as they could end up being hints for others. You are always welcome to PM me with any questions you may have.

PoringDivider.png

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngThis Week's ChallengeSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

Week 11: Nightmare on Elf Street [ 10/29 - 11/4 ]

Nightmare_zpsfb3a4736.png

Since the start of October, you've been having a terrible reoccurring dream.

It's always the same: your high school math teacher threatens to slice you to ribbons using his pointy elf-like ears unless you can solve the math problem he gives you in under thirty-one minutes. You stare at the paper on your desk in front of you, trying to make sense of all the numbers, letters and symbols, but it's just too much. Thankfully, each night you've woken up screaming after staring at the paper for some time... But each night, the dream goes on longer, and your evil elvish math teacher stalks closer and closer to your desk.

This may be your last chance, you realize. You have to solve the problem and defeat him, or risk dying in the dream... And maybe dying in the real world, too. You stare at the paper, determined to figure out the puzzle:

H = o

17 + y = a

e * 81 = H

p - y = e

H / y = l

a * w = 120

n - l = o

p * 5 = a

o + e = 10

w^2 = n

n / o = p

l - w = 21

H + a + p + p + y + H + a + l + l + o + w + e + e + n = ?

What is the answer to the evil math teacher's problem?

Click Here To Submit Your Answer

This week's prize:

ElvenEars_zps232f93b9.png

Elven Ears [1]

The competition ends Tuesday, November 4th at 11:59 PM PST! Good luck!

PoringDivider.png

Edited by Ralis, 28 October 2014 - 10:01 PM.

#2 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:18 PM

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngLast Week's ChallengeSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

Week 10: Ice Bin Challenge [ 10/22 - 10/28 ]

IceBinChallengeFinal_zps01295737.png

While exploring the Ice Dungeon, you've accidentally awoken Ktullanux, who is not very happy.

"Graaaawwwrrrr!" he roars. "Who dares to wake me from my slumber? I will protect this cavern and devour anyone who dares intrude on this sacred ground!"

"Please, Mr. Ktullanux," you plead, "I'm just a helpless adventurer! I didn't mean to intrude on anything, honest! Please don't eat me!"

Ktullanux sizes you up, and decides that you don't look very appetizing anyway. "Very well, I shall let you leave. But first you must solve my puzzle! If you are correct, I will let you leave... And I may even reward you for your cunning."

Ktullanux materializes a box out of the ice in the cavern and tells you that you must tilt it either left, right, up or down in order to move the number 5 cube on top of or over the red square. Any cube other the number 5 cube that passes over or comes to stop on top of the red square will melt completely and be out of play. When you tilt the box in any of the four directions, all of the numbered cubes will slide in that direction until they hit the wall or another cube. The grey cubes are immovable: they will not change location no matter what direction you tilt the box, but they will stop the numbered cubes if they come into contact with them.

In addition, the numbers on the cubes represent the numbers of times they can be moved before freezing in place. For example, if your first move is "Up", the number 1 cube will freeze in place in the top right corner of the box and will no longer move in subsequent tilts. This also means that you have a maximum of five moves to get the number 5 cube to the red square! Even if a cube does not change positions during a move, the timer will still count down; if your first move is Right, the number 1 cube will freeze in place where it is at. At least one cube needs to change location for a move to count.

What is the solution to the puzzle? Abbreviate each move according to the first letter of the direction so that your answer consists of one to five letters. For example, if the solution is "Up, Left, Down, Right" enter "ULDR".

This week's prize:

IceCreamHat_zps4d59066c.png

Ice Cream Hat

PoringDivider.png

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngThe SolutionSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

The answer is DURDL.

IceBinChallengeSolvedFinalTrue_zpssies5n

...Not much explaining needed for this one, I think. Instead, I'll explain a few of the more popular incorrect answers:

LDLDR: The problem with this solution is that it requires a cube to move through the red space. However, the rules state that any cube except the number 5 cube that move through it will disappear from the game completely.

UURDL: This would work except at least one cube has to change location to count as a move and have the turn number on it tick down.

There were 47 (whoa) correct answers this week, and the five winners are:

Necrohealiac, CarrotSticks, Pika, duomaxie and riny!

Congratulations!

Everyone else that answered correctly but did not get selected for the weekly prize have earned 2 points this week!

Please check your mail or inventory on the character you listed on the answer page for your prize. Please give Oda until next week's maintenance to deliver prizes! If you would like to opt to not receive this week's prize and instead receive points equal to the participation prize, please PM me before the end of the week.

PoringDivider.png

Edited by Ralis, 29 October 2014 - 02:34 PM.

#3 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngScoreboardSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

These are the points players have earned so far. If you do not want your points displayed, PM me and I will keep track of them privately.

Spoiler

PoringDivider.png

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngThis Week's BirthdaysSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

Happy Birthday to the Following Players:

29 laracraft304
30 faby
30 generalCOOLyo(::GeneraL:: )
31 Ethasi
31 Preedie

01 Auarion
03 Morlord
03 luxvictoria
04 ItsMoonie
04 Akshaysanwal(Gorthaur)

PoringDivider.png

SmokieIdea_zps9afed806.pngArchivesSmokieConfused_zps942a489a.png

Week 10: Ice Bin Challenge [ 10/22 - 10/28 ]

Week 9: Paradox [ 10/15 - 10/21 ]

Week 8: Scavenger Hunt [ 10/8 - 10/14 ]

Week 7: Pyramid Scheme [ 10/1 - 10/7 ]

Week 6: Where in the World [ 9/24 - 9/30 ]

Week 5: Trouble With Tiles [ 9/17 - 9/23 ]

Week 4: A Colorful Conundrum [ 9/10 - 9/16 ]

Week 3: Unlock the Safe [ 9/3 - 9/9 ]

Week 2: As The Kasa Flies [ 8/27 - 9/2 ]

Week 1: Mystery Picture [ 8/20 - 8/26 ]

PoringDivider.png

Edited by Ralis, 28 October 2014 - 10:24 PM.

#4 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:08 PM

43 names to add to the scoreboard. xD I'll let you all peruse the puzzle and get your questions asked while I work on the points.

edit; points are updated. Please PM me if you don't want your name / points displayed and I'll keep track of them privately.\

Also I'll just answer this question I know I'm going to get before it's asked, the colors have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CONUNDRUM. I just wanted to make it look pretty, fall-ish and Halloween-y.

[mod]This is just a friendly reminder that multiple entries are not allowed. I try to assume the best intentions from people (especially when the entries are identical), but I have had two disqualifications--one last week and one this week--due to people submitting more than one entry and trying to be sneaky about it.[/mod]

Edited by Ralis, 28 October 2014 - 10:31 PM.

#5 Saffire

Saffire

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:40 PM

Hi ralis, if I won lastlast week (week 9 paradox) but have yet to receive the prize, is it too late to ask for the points instead if i want to redeem for this week's prize (the elven ears [1])?

Oh and if lets say people have enough points to redeem for the current week's prize, but also end up winning for that week, does that mean they can get two of the same prize? (Eg. If someone has 20 points to redeem for this week, and at the end of the week they also win by rng, does it mean the person can get two of the same prize?)

Edited by Saffire, 29 October 2014 - 12:04 AM.

#6 duomaxie

duomaxie

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:50 AM

well this one is easy...:D

#7 amarande

amarande

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:55 AM

Another fun one ^^ thanks again Ralis, answer sent (hope its right lol, am sure i did the math right.)

#8 kijanta

kijanta

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:26 AM

Yay, my favourite type :p_hi: And elven ears(1)? Please, RNG god, be kind!

@Saffire: Ralis wrote (red text) that you can pm him for this weeks prize when you have 20 points saved up. Seeing as the ice bin challenge gives 2 points for the unchosen, but correct answers, no one has 20 points at this point and probably won't have for some more weeks. You can only chose to not get the prize of conundrum #9, but the POINTS instead (though this system exists only since this week, so I'm not sure for #9) - not this weeks PRIZE. At least, that's how I understand the system.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

#9 Saffire

Saffire

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:11 AM

If im not wrong ralis started the point system in week 9. So if the winners choose not to get the prize we would get 20 points instead which is automatically redeemable for a future prize. So actually i was just wondering if i missed the window to get the points instead since i havent gotten my prize yet. :)

oh and i dont even know how to redeem/when to redeem anyway if i took the points haha

#10 tshin23

tshin23

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1116 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:49 AM

I think the solution is wrong. In bottom right, there is an extra cube in the solution compared to the original board Ktunallux gave.

#11 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:51 AM

i can't seem to find last week's Conundrum post (usually they are posted in the creative contraptions archives) so I don't recall if Ralis is assigning different point totals depending on the difficulty of the puzzle.  There were less than 5 winners when the point system started so there was no opportunity to note how many points someone might have gotten had their correct answer not been chosen.

#12 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:53 AM

I think the solution is wrong. In bottom right, there is an extra cube in the solution compared to the original board Ktunallux gave.

there is an extra grey cube on the in the last row of the solution, but it doesn't affect the answer in any way, this is because the original block "3" is frozen in place already, rendering that extra grey cube useless anyway.

#13 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:55 AM

Nice catch on the extra cube. It does not affect the answer, it was actually removed pretty close to last week going live because it was useless and moved to that useless one towards the top middle... I just failed to take it out of the solution gif. I will do that when I get home today.

Saffire I hate to say it but you only have a week to PM me for points instead of the prize... Once the new one goes live it's too late because I go to bed right after and usually don't wake up until maintenance... At which time Oda has the names for people to give prizes to. Sorry. D:

As for your other question, yes you can get two prizes for the week if you trade in points and get the RNG one, you just can't trade in more than 20 points in one week.

Points given per week is equal to 100/x, where x is the number of correct answers for that week. Rounded, of course. So with around 50 correct answers, everyone got 2 points. 33 correct answers = 3 points, 20 = 4 points, etc., and the max I'll give for if 1-5 people get it right is 20 for a free prize of their choice later on.

Edited by Ralis, 29 October 2014 - 06:30 AM.

#14 Saffire

Saffire

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:32 AM

Oh alright, I just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask :)

Thank you for the reply!

#15 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:33 AM

i had fun with this latest puzzle; had to dredge up some ancient math knowledge tho.  brain hurts now.

#16 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:38 AM

I hope this one kept you all occupied for at least 20 minutes... :P

#17 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:57 AM

but not longer than 31 because then your math teacher would slice you up with his elven ears.

Edited by Necrohealiac, 29 October 2014 - 06:58 AM.

#18 spikexp

spikexp

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 2181 posts
  • Server:Chaotic

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:04 AM

what if there's 100+ correct answers?

#19 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:08 AM

a lot of people will be getting 2 pts then.

#20 NyuX

NyuX

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:43 AM

:p_idea: 

I only found this puzzle event several days ago and i must say: I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS; <3 puzzles <3 math 

Thank you Ralis 

I am totally looking forward to more of these, now I cannot wait for a week to pass  :rice:

I even checked out all the old puzzles in the archives immediately, even if participating in them isn't possible anymore.

#21 spikexp

spikexp

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 2181 posts
  • Server:Chaotic

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:45 AM

a lot of people will be getting 2 pts then.

Points given per week is equal to 100/x, where x is the number of correct answers for that week. Rounded, of course. So with around 50 correct answers, everyone got 2 points. 33 correct answers = 3 points, 20 = 4 points, etc., and the max I'll give for if 1-5 people get it right is 20 for a free prize of their choice later on.

Since it's rounded down, when there's at least 106 answers, nobody will get any points.

I demand increased difficulty.

Edited by spikexp, 29 October 2014 - 08:46 AM.

#22 Viri

Viri

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6295 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:07 AM

Yay for 7th grade algebra

#23 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:14 AM

Nah 1 point will always be the minimum. I'm not that mean.

#24 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:26 AM

should be awarding imaginary number points

#25 tshin23

tshin23

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1116 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:50 AM

there is an extra grey cube on the in the last row of the solution, but it doesn't affect the answer in any way, this is because the original block "3" is frozen in place already, rendering that extra grey cube useless anyway.

That's right, my bad. hehehe

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users