New player

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 657325171

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:08 AM

I just started RO today, made a merchant as 1st class (don't know if that was a bad idea or not).  Currently looking for a helpfull leveling guild.  Just got my merchant class and ended up with a bunch of starting quests that i can not seem to finish, I hope they don't hinder me in getting story quests and such once I leave the newbe town.

#2 Ryviux

Ryviux

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1962 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:35 AM

Guild Recruiting forum is here

http://forums.warppo...wal-recruiting/

unless you are willing to spend money upfront the Merchant class is the worst class to start off with.

1. the blacksmith is useless,

2. the alchemist is a great class but not very useful till 3rd class Genetic and it is also very expansive to play.

You are better off starting off as a thief or archer class. Much easier to play and you don't need any high end equips till much later in the game.

Edited by Ryviux, 29 October 2014 - 07:36 AM.

#3 spikexp

spikexp

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 2181 posts
  • Server:Chaotic

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:52 AM

up to mastersmith, i'd say go for it. pre-99 it's awesome to farm things with, and you can get greed and make zeny outta TI and OD2.

useless is a harsh word on this class. it's even capable of mvping late game.

#4 Ryviux

Ryviux

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1962 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:07 AM

up to mastersmith, i'd say go for it. pre-99 it's awesome to farm things with, and you can get greed and make zeny outta TI and OD2.

useless is a harsh word on this class. it's even capable of mvping late game.

a bit harsh but anything late game a mech can do, gene can do better.

#5 MillyBear

MillyBear

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1997 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:16 AM

don't listen to this guy Ryviux.. Although he's almost right he's not totally. the mechanic line can be a good start up.. but like spike suggested just keep him as mastersmith 99/70. 2 things .. upgrade weapons.. and greeding in ti without HBP.. both these ways can get you started on another class. also i suggest dual client. one wp account allows you to have 3 game accounts. so make another ro one. and make a thief or something.. use the merchant to vend whatever you might find.. or save the loot till you get overcharge 10 and npc them. yes leveling a merchant/blacksmith/whitesmith is difficult.. yes nobobdy wants you in their TI parties .. ( TI's are how most people level 71-150 now.. although leveling the old school way can be done too.. for those who do that respect.. not me,, i like the easy road :P) .. but stick with him see him through to whitesmith/mastersmith do a simple quest for greed and greed low ti with fly wings whenever there is a good one like bathory, elder ... there must be more but nothings coming to mind now.. also look for Otterly at east geffen .. they do not have level requirements and theyre an active friendly bunch.. also check out zero tigress's thread about iro raidcall on forums. you could go there and make friends without being a guild and maybe someone might help you out.. after the double exp/drops which is nov 5th you can hit me up too.. i'm mostly on Godlik^e~GX,Godlik^e~MVP,~ Vidusha ~ or Pwetty~Plum.. after 5th tho. cos till then hardcore leveling  hehe.. anyway good luck.. spike comment +1 .. stick with it .. dual /triple client even if you can.. and welcome to iRO

#6 Ryviux

Ryviux

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1962 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:27 AM

*smacks Millybear with a paperfan

we are trying to keep this guy not drive him away. having him play a merchant class right off the bat is going to drive him away. Unless he has money to burn.

Easy mode - Archer, Thief

Normal - Swordsman, Priest, Mage

Hard mode - Merchant

In terms Late game payoff, Ranger(Archer) and Genetic (Merchant) are the best class.

Ranger's Arrowstorm is easily the best AOE skill in the game. They are also easy and cheap to equip. But is a glass canon.

Genetic is the Best all around class, AcidBomb is a great Boss monster killing skill and Cart Canon a Terrific AOE skill. With Aid Potion, it can heal both itself and party members. A Sera Homunculus means the Gene can also tank with the best. However everything about the Genetic Class screams money. It is very equipment dependent and needs a serious load of zeny to play well.

I am not kidding when i said that anything the Mechanic (other Merchant branch) can do. The Genetic can do and most likely do better.

Regarding upgrading weapons to farm safe 7 certs. A weapon cert cost around 2-3m these days. It takes around 20m worth (of ori) to get 5-6 +7weapons. I am not sure what the odds are of eatgear giving certs in-exchange for a +7 weapon but i am willing to bet that with the current market price for Safe to 7 weapon certs it

A blacksmith is good at greeding stuff form OD2 but it should be for a secondary account not Main Account character.

#7 spikexp

spikexp

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 2181 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:31 PM

i never, ever said mechanic is better than ranger and genetic. mechanic is even weaker than gx/rk/rg if you compare their late game performance.

i never, ever played ranger and genetic, but i DO plan to have a brewer. the only time i spent real money is to buy vip.

merchant is a good start. although not the best one. you can go the fast way by making smith, or go the slow way by making genetic. i'd never recommend you to main mechanic, but it's awesome at some things (robots ftw).

merchant is NOT a bad start. mage is the worst starting class should you ever play one. playing magical classes is more expensive than physical ones.

#8 MorseCoder

MorseCoder

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 433 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

He's new, so he doesn't understand the acronyms and terminology. Please be mindful of that.

#9 JohnFolts

JohnFolts

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:07 PM

I just started an acolyte going for some type of monk build. Its my first character since I played a few months like 8 years ago, basically starting again. It was way hard at first but after like level 30 after I got a few decent items, training was great, and I just got to job change to a monk last night. I found it great leveling with my own blessings and being able to heal myself. I recommend that. Coming from a player whos basically new as well, having played all other classes when I played years back I think that the acolyte as a first character was a great choice. 

Edited by JohnFolts, 29 October 2014 - 02:09 PM.

#10 xxccxx

xxccxx

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Server:I

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:15 PM

I just started an acolyte going for some type of monk build. Its my first character since I played a few months like 8 years ago, basically starting again. It was way hard at first but after like level 30 after I got a few decent items, training was great, and I just got to job change to a monk last night. I found it great leveling with my own blessings and being able to heal myself. I recommend that. Coming from a player whos basically new as well, having played all other classes when I played years back I think that the acolyte as a first character was a great choice. 

Starting is monk is really fun solo play. But if you willing to grind 40lvs priste is a easy ride. A lot of people want you.

#11 spikexp

spikexp

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 2181 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:29 PM

because you can basically start with any class as long as you willing to

#12 Ryviux

Ryviux

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1962 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:53 PM

because you can basically start with any class as long as you willing to

and some character class are easier then others.

the goal should be to encourage new players to stick around. Encouraging them to play the merchant class as their first character is not going to help.

#13 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:37 PM

Yea sorry, but the Merchant is thee worst possible starting class in the game(that should be the 2nd char you make though).

If you're playing on renewal, the best first class has to be Rogue now(omg I feel like I'm gonna cry, Rogues can lv now), since their flee means they aren't gear dependant characters(not at low or even mid lv anyway), you wont need as many potions as other classes, and more importantly their skills will make you rich(Gank auto steals a item while just reg attacking a non-boss tagged monster), as well as make traveling though maps easier(stalk allows you to walk while hiding from monsters)

Edited by Zoltor, 10 November 2014 - 01:00 PM.

#14 kasshin

kasshin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3686 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:47 PM

I recommend for creating a first character to aim for: Ranger, Genetic, Royal Guard, Rune Knight, and maybe Sorcerer.

If starting to play with two people (friends), one of the two people should make an Arch Bishop.

#15 Alaska

Alaska

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 4817 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:49 PM

Ranger is probably one of the easiest to start off with; they level quite fast (especially since they're always wanted in TI) and can farm better than most, if not all, other classes. I wouldn't recommend a genetic to start off with as they can become quite expensive, gear and consumable-wise. 

Edited by Alaska, 10 November 2014 - 12:50 PM.

#16 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:05 PM

Ranger is probably one of the easiest to start off with; they level quite fast (especially since they're always wanted in TI) and can farm better than most, if not all, other classes. I wouldn't recommend a genetic to start off with as they can become quite expensive, gear and consumable-wise. 

Although no one wants you when you're just a hunter/sniper :o

#17 Alaska

Alaska

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 4817 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:09 PM

Although no one wants you when you're just a hunter/sniper :o

No one wants you when you're an alchemist/biochemist either, trust me. I have 5 alchemist-branch characters, and low TI was always a pain. :c

#18 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:15 PM

that's why alchemists/bios formed a union and just sit at the entrance of low TI :B

#19 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:39 PM

Mechanics:

• Mobile Pneuma.
  • AoE Camouflage.
  • Spammable Ice AoE which causes Frozen and Deep Freeze. Makes soloing in Thors child's play. Party with a Stringer and it just becomes silly. Last time Salas, Kasas and Imps were in High TI, I was doing 20-30k per Freeze Launcher, and using the skill 3 times per second under Strings.
  • Extremely spammable single-target ranged attack capable of dealing over 10k per hit. I'd say closer to 20k with decent gear.
  • Much less spammable AoE ranged attack capable of dealing over 40k damage per hit, which may be dual endowed with balls and scrolls for even more damage. Closer to 50-60k with decent gear.
  • 15x15 spammable reveal skill.
  • Ability to heal self for 23% HP with a single potion that costs 1100z, without OC. Spammable. Percentage is fixed to MHP so even if you have 60k HP, you'll still heal 23% of it.
  • Ability to change armour to any of the 4 base elements, allowing the Mech to wear whatever they want and still have elemental redux. Two words: Fire Brynhild.
  • Front Slide/Back Slide, which is faster than moving with Gen Cart Boost if you don't lag.
  • Ability to lower the target's DEF and MDEF by a whopping 42% by using a single skill. Works on MVPs.
  • Ability to remove ALL defensive buffs from RKs, RGs, ABs and Suras with surprising damage.
  • Highest base neutral and fire resistance in the game bar none.
  • 3.. 2.. 1.. Suicidal Destruction!

They're actually pretty damn good. The big problem is that no one knows how to play them and just dismisses them as "bad" without any personal experience.

Edited by AlmrOfAtlas, 10 November 2014 - 01:57 PM.

#20 DarkGazer

DarkGazer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1842 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:55 PM

Mechanics:

• Mobile Pneuma.
  • AoE Camouflage.
  • Spammable Ice AoE which causes Frozen and Deep Freeze. Makes soloing in Thors child's play. Party with a Stringer and it just becomes silly.
  • Extremely spammable single-target ranged attack capable of dealing over 10k per hit.
  • Much less spammable AoE ranged attack capable of dealing over 40k damage per hit, which may be dual endowed with balls and scrolls for even more damage.
  • 15x15 spammable reveal skill.
  • Ability to heal self for 23% HP with a single potion that costs 1100z, without OC. Spammable.
  • Ability to change armour to any of the 4 base elements, allowing the Mech to wear whatever they want and still have elemental redux.
  • Front Slide/Back Slide, which is faster than moving with Gen Cart Boost if you don't lag.
  • Ability to lower the target's DEF and MDEF by a whopping 42% by using a single skill. Works on MVPs.
  • Ability to remove ALL defensive buffs from RKs, RGs, ABs and Suras with surprising damage.
  • Highest base neutral and fire resistance in the game bar none.
  • 3.. 2.. 1.. Suicidal Destruction!

They're actually pretty damn good. The big problem is that no one knows how to play them and just dismisses them as "bad" without any personal experience.

I always wanted to get my hands rolling with a Mech, but I've been discouraged multiple times by players who kept telling me that playing as a Mado mech is literally asking yourself to bleed money. Now that I got some funds, I might actually give it a shot.

Also, I second the ranger suggestion. Get yourself to level 100 and obtain the OP White Wing set and you're set for the rest of your ranger life. Get some farming done, earn zeny, and make the character of your dreams.

#21 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:02 PM

I always wanted to get my hands rolling with a Mech, but I've been discouraged multiple times by players who kept telling me that playing as a Mado mech is literally asking yourself to bleed money. Now that I got some funds, I might actually give it a shot.

The only real issues with Mechs are the Coluseo bug, which doesn't matter since you can heal yourself far more efficiently, the fact that dying means you lose your Mado, which I'll admit is a huge pain in the butt even though Mechs rarely die in PvM, the fact that you need to purchase Mado Parts and Fuel, which is inconsequential since you've got Greed (and Greed is one of the very few Blacksmith skills that works when in a Mado) and OC, and that, in order to use skills like Hover, you need to hotkey the Booster part, toggle Hover and then hotkey back your normal accessory.

Another issue is that people assume Vulcan and Flame Launcher are good, and then judge the class based on those skills. THEY ARE NOT GOOD SKILLS XD Genetics have those silly fruit bomb throw skills and lots of useless plant things but you don't see people condemning the entire class based on those :<

#22 DarkGazer

DarkGazer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1842 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:23 PM

The only real issues with Mechs are the Coluseo bug, which doesn't matter since you can heal yourself far more efficiently, the fact that dying means you lose your Mado, which I'll admit is a huge pain in the butt even though Mechs rarely die in PvM, the fact that you need to purchase Mado Parts and Fuel, which is inconsequential since you've got Greed (and Greed is one of the very few Blacksmith skills that works when in a Mado) and OC, and that, in order to use skills like Hover, you need to hotkey the Booster part, toggle Hover and then hotkey back your normal accessory.

Another issue is that people assume Vulcan and Flame Launcher are good, and then judge the class based on those skills. THEY ARE NOT GOOD SKILLS XD Genetics have those silly fruit bomb throw skills and lots of useless plant things but you don't see people condemning the entire class based on those :<

needmoreoparrowstormskillsyo

I don't really mind the gear switching part, if I don't get annoying delays on my game session anyway.

And we still have the Coluseo bug? I remember playing AB in mid TI after some kind of patch weeks ago and being able to Coluseo everyone without re-inviting the mech in our party. Might have to re-check this later on.

#23 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:20 PM

needmoreoparrowstormskillsyo

I don't really mind the gear switching part, if I don't get annoying delays on my game session anyway.

And we still have the Coluseo bug? I remember playing AB in mid TI after some kind of patch weeks ago and being able to Coluseo everyone without re-inviting the mech in our party. Might have to re-check this later on.

I haven't partied on my Mech in a long time, as it's 150 and I don't TI much, but if the Coluseo bug is really fixed people don't have much to complain about anymore!

#24 kasshin

kasshin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3686 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:20 PM

Starting with any class has their own pros and cons, but the few I mentioned (Ranger, Genetic, Royal Guard, Rune Knight, and maybe Sorcerer) I feel are more suited to new players and has less cons. One thing that is important is being able to kill, as you don't want to make a support class as your first character unless you are starting with friends. The class will need a decent third class AOE as well. It also shouldn't be difficult to play or understand, where I think a Sura and Mech mechanics are too complicated for beginners. Most new players are more into the PVM aspect and eventually aim for something MVP oriented as endgame. And everyone should eventually make at least one genetic if they ever touch MVPs at all. Also people just tend to rate GX and Mech lower for TI parties in general.

Mechs in particular are a good balanced class. Actually the only "core" class that isn't balanced is Wanderer. If just comparing with Gentitcs, Genetics are usually better damage dealers than Mechs but Mechs offer some invaluable support skills.

Coluseo bug still exists right now. Actually most people don't really understand how it works. Every time someone joins the map the Mech has to be reinvited. Even if they are already at the end of the party list, if someone comes into the map, it will still bug. So even though they are already at the end of the party list, they still have to be kicked and reinvited.

Even though coluseo bug is the only actual "bug" with the class, it's probably a collection of other things why Mechs aren't as "mainstream". Having to choose either Mado on or Mado off is one thing that turns people away. Mechs without Mado can't accept the fact that Mado can just be treated as a "leveling tool" to level up and their final build does not have to be a Mado build (and they can reset the skills too). Then Mechs with Mado might not have some sort of cheap healing method and then they can't be healed in turn in parties. Other complications are how Mado is removed on death, fuel consumption, bunch of gear requirements for certain abilities (flame launcher shield etc).

Anyway Mech is still a good class, but not recommended for newbies. Usually good for players already with some experience and/or funds. This is probably true for any class except maybe Wanderer, where anyone should probably just stay away... far away.

#25 Spooky34

Spooky34

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 471 posts
  • LocationIn front of you

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:22 PM

use assassin or archer.

it will make you multi-millionaire (higher level monster zone drop can 1k zeny of body parts if you sell it to NPC, you can 1m in 30-45mins).

if you still insist merchant your lucky to reach level 90 earn 1m in 1month (cant kill high level mobs due to lack of dodge (assasin) or Aoe damge skill) aoe - area of effect can kill multiple mobs in 1 skill (better example is archer class).

Edited by Spooky34, 10 November 2014 - 04:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users