18 replies to this topic

#1 Rusti

Rusti

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:14 AM

about to hit RG, and honestly still not really sure what skills are needed. i had a look at the sample builds from the guides pinned, and there are a few skills i'm wondering about:

from what i can see, it looks like battle chant 10 sacrifice 5 and defending aura 5 are staple skills. is this just for woe? or is it applicable to pvm too?

also, i read somewhere that spear quicken 10 increases overbrand damage. should i forsake one of the skills mentioned above to get spear quicken 10 for better leveling as RG?

is cavalier mastery necessary? what about inspiration?

thanks for your help.

#2 SaintMichael

SaintMichael

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHeaven
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:09 AM

It all depends on what Royal Guard your making, for example a Bruiser Royal Guard has no use for skills such as sacrifice and doesn't need Battle Chant because Inspiration is pretty much an offensive version of Battle Chant, and the points are better spent on spear quicken and spear mastery for damage output. Spear Quicken increases Overbrand damage significantly and Overbrand level Increases Moonslasher damage significantly, so basically I would max out all three of those skills if your going for Overbrand. I would also use Exceed Break with Overbrand because Vellum Glaive and Hunting spear are really heavy and will give extremely good damage output with Exceed Break.

However Overbrand is not the only means for leveling even though it's definitely the most popular, you can also use Cannon Spear, which is really good with 120 str paired up with an Imperial Spear or the weapon Cannon Spear. I would also use Vanishing point, Shield Press and Earth Drive with Cannon Spear because Imperial Spear plus Imperial Shield combo will give crazy damage output for all four of those skills.

Cavalier Mastery increases  your aspd when on a mount and is pretty much a must with any build since Vanishing Point and Exceed Break are ASPD based, but if your making a tank then no you can ditch it. Also if your using Rapid Smiting plus Gloomy Shyness then you won't need a mount in general because Gloomy forces you off your mount.  

The only time you wouldn't get Inspiration is if you go Banding instead, Inspiration is for a lone wolf Royal Guard play style, while Banding is a pack mentality skill path. People are always concerned about the exp penalty for using Inspiration, but that's normally because they don't know how to properly recharge it using spare card and a slotted foot gear with an exp bonus card such as an Am Mut card. Banding of course also has it's draw backs since you need 7 royal guards to unleash it's true potential, or at least one other Royal Guard who also has banding to even use the skill.

#3 PervySageMarty

PervySageMarty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3959 posts
  • LocationUnderground like a wild potato

Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:25 PM

Also, if you dont have Cavalier Mastery when using Overbrand, there is a 1-2 second delay before the swinging and knockback hits of the skills apply(It means, instead of seeing all 3 lots of damages in the scope of 1 second, you see the only the first hit piercing damage then 1 or 2 seconds later the other two hits are applied and seen)

Edited by Marty5337, 02 November 2014 - 01:26 PM.

#4 harlokjai

harlokjai

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:42 AM

1. Does Spear mastery or spear quicken give more overband attack? So if i have job points, would i add to spear mastery or spear quicken for overband damage output?

2. exceed break, as mentioned above, why does the heavier spear give better damage?

3. is overband classified as a ranged attack? so if i use brocca/imperial spear which enchant should i aim for, EA 1-6?

Thanks,

#5 SaintMichael

SaintMichael

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHeaven

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:59 PM

1. Both Spear Mastery and Spear Quicken increase overbrand damage. I would max both of those skills out if your making a Bruiser(another term for warrior role) Royal Guard whether it's vanishing point+spear cannon, overbrand+exceed break, or rapid smite+pin point attack, but yeah increase both of those skills to maximize Overbrand damage. Also you need to buff your self with spear quicken in order for it to take effect otherwise it'll be the same.

2. Exceed break damage increases significantly from the weight of the weapon that your using, also it's a rare crit skill so luck goes a long way with it as well.

3.Overbrand is Classified as melee, or at least the majority of the equation is melee, the three spears your going to want to choose from are hunting spear, battle hook, and long horn, hunting spear being the main one. As for enchants well that depends on what your plans are for your royal guard, in PVM it's better just to boost your HP and throw a hunter fly card in it, but if your soloing instances or MVPing you'd want fighting spirit with a hillslion card.

#6 harlokjai

harlokjai

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:32 AM

1. Both Spear Mastery and Spear Quicken increase overbrand damage. I would max both of those skills out if your making a Bruiser(another term for warrior role) Royal Guard whether it's vanishing point+spear cannon, overbrand+exceed break, or rapid smite+pin point attack, but yeah increase both of those skills to maximize Overbrand damage. Also you need to buff your self with spear quicken in order for it to take effect otherwise it'll be the same.

2. Exceed break damage increases significantly from the weight of the weapon that your using, also it's a rare crit skill so luck goes a long way with it as well.

3.Overbrand is Classified as melee, or at least the majority of the equation is melee, the three spears your going to want to choose from are hunting spear, battle hook, and long horn, hunting spear being the main one. As for enchants well that depends on what your plans are for your royal guard, in PVM it's better just to boost your HP and throw a hunter fly card in it, but if your soloing instances or MVPing you'd want fighting spirit with a hillslion card.

Thanks, I don't get Martyr's reckoning............so does it make the next 5 attack really strong?? or.........it jz increases it by a bit. Does it work with Overband?

And exceed break..........5 seconds cast time for 1 normal attack? Doesn't sound like it's even worth getting? Guessing this works only with normal hitting and not overband as wiki says "normal" attacks.

Thanks

#7 SaintMichael

SaintMichael

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHeaven

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:03 AM

Exceed break is literally the new Martyr's reckoning they are the same type of skill only exceed break is superior in every way imaginable since Martyr's doesn't scale with your Level so it does way less even with a Tao Gunka card. In fact all the paladin burst damage and aoe skills are pretty much useless at 150, the only one I can honestly recommend is Rapid Smite, since the damage potential is huge with the right build and gloomy shyness.

Exceed break ignores woe reductions and is effected by critical and double attack. In fact there's a Philippine player who one shots people with it during woe using a vellum guillotine lol, I think you got the wrong impression though of how the skill works it's basically a buff that makes your next basic attack do a tremendous amount of damage once the cast time is done you can use other skills and your movement speed goes back to normal, however the buff will cancel if you switch weapons.

Neither Matyr's Reckoning nor Exceed Break will work with Overbrand, that would be way to ridiculous, but they don't have to, Vellum Glaive plus Overbrand will hurt, I promise you :).      

#8 harlokjai

harlokjai

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:44 AM

Exceed break is literally the new Martyr's reckoning they are the same type of skill only exceed break is superior in every way imaginable since Martyr's doesn't scale with your Level so it does way less even with a Tao Gunka card. In fact all the paladin burst damage and aoe skills are pretty much useless at 150, the only one I can honestly recommend is Rapid Smite, since the damage potential is huge with the right build and gloomy shyness.

Exceed break ignores woe reductions and is effected by critical and double attack. In fact there's a Philippine player who one shots people with it during woe using a vellum guillotine lol, I think you got the wrong impression though of how the skill works it's basically a buff that makes your next basic attack do a tremendous amount of damage once the cast time is done you can use other skills and your movement speed goes back to normal, however the buff will cancel if you switch weapons.

Neither Matyr's Reckoning nor Exceed Break will work with Overbrand, that would be way to ridiculous, but they don't have to, Vellum Glaive plus Overbrand will hurt, I promise you  :).      

BUt what about in PVm, is exceed break worth getting? I have overband 5 now, will max reflect damage. But dont know what after that.  I just want to do some soloing to the end of the mid TI level, also maybe in a small party so I have sacrifice also.

Edited by harlokjai, 11 November 2014 - 04:45 AM.

#9 SaintMichael

SaintMichael

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHeaven

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:51 AM

PVM is so easy that you don't need anything except leech gear and a AOE skill, being in a party is really laughable and not even worth it. Sacrifice and Reflect damage is for a Tank Royal Guard, you don't need any offensive skills if your going that route. With the right gears a Royal Guard can use reflect damage to level solo, same goes for overbrand and spear cannon...

#10 kasshin

kasshin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3686 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:08 PM

Don't max reflect damage for now. Just the reqs is fine. Get shield spell 1 asap for the ATK bonus. Exceed break is probably pretty useless for PVM.

#11 harlokjai

harlokjai

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:15 AM

umm........so i got lvl 3 reflect damage now, and the timer says duration of 4 min. 

But after like 1 min, the skill dissappears? I did not press the skill again, I still have sp, and I did not use shield reflect. is there like a certain number of hits it can take?

#12 kasshin

kasshin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3686 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:12 AM

Yes there is a certain number of hits limit. It's not too useful in general now.

#13 SaintMichael

SaintMichael

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHeaven

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:49 AM

http://irowiki.org/~himeyasha/skill4/rgd.html?10JjJacFkFuNbxGS2n1qpqNrFqAeqkAak1

That depends on what he's making, reflect damage isn't useful at all if he's going overbrand, also you wouldn't go for shield spell 1 first you would go for moonslasher first for the OB-MS combo, then shield spell 1, because shield spell 1 will completely sap your sp, also it's not needed till lvl 126 because monsters are easily one-shoted without buffs from 105-126. Your going to want a rosa shield to pair up with shield spell 1 for the highest damage increase and duration.

^^ Here I'm just going to post my Overbrand build since you seem to be leaning towards that direction. Copy and paste the URL into your browser to see, I soloed mid TIs with this, and I can solo high TIs with it. Once again though this isn't the only way to do it, I can also give you a spear cannon or reflect damage build that can accomplish the same task.  

Edited by SaintMichael, 12 November 2014 - 10:50 AM.

#14 harlokjai

harlokjai

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:20 AM

can we cash shield spell again to get all the effects before it finished the last one? Or does re-casting cacnel the exiisting effect of shield spell.?

only shield spell 1 is needed?

#15 harlokjai

harlokjai

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:17 AM

http://irowiki.org/~himeyasha/skill4/rgd.html?10JjJacFkFuNbxGS2n1qpqNrFqAeqkAak1

That depends on what he's making, reflect damage isn't useful at all if he's going overbrand, also you wouldn't go for shield spell 1 first you would go for moonslasher first for the OB-MS combo, then shield spell 1, because shield spell 1 will completely sap your sp, also it's not needed till lvl 126 because monsters are easily one-shoted without buffs from 105-126. Your going to want a rosa shield to pair up with shield spell 1 for the highest damage increase and duration.

^^ Here I'm just going to post my Overbrand build since you seem to be leaning towards that direction. Copy and paste the URL into your browser to see, I soloed mid TIs with this, and I can solo high TIs with it. Once again though this isn't the only way to do it, I can also give you a spear cannon or reflect damage build that can accomplish the same task.  

I don't get why you would say use moonslasher. Cause..........it really sucks............it says damage around caster. BUt i use it and it only hits 1 monster aorund me. And also, it never immoblises them. They always keep hitting me.

ANd reflect damage...........why do get the impression from reading that it is good? it hardly reflects any damage at lvl 3? How can you kill with reflect?

Edited by harlokjai, 14 November 2014 - 05:23 AM.

#16 kasshin

kasshin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3686 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:58 AM

Yes you can keep recasting shield spell until you get the desired effect.

You don't really kill with reflect damage anymore after the skill balance patch a long time ago. It might still have a few situational uses but definitely is not your main killing / AOE skill. Only get the reqs until you are near endgame and have a use for it then.

For keeping monsters on you when tanking for parties, just use shield reflect.

#17 SaintMichael

SaintMichael

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHeaven

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:26 AM

I don't get why you would say use moonslasher. Cause..........it really sucks............it says damage around caster. BUt i use it and it only hits 1 monster aorund me. And also, it never immoblises them. They always keep hitting me.

ANd reflect damage...........why do get the impression from reading that it is good? it hardly reflects any damage at lvl 3? How can you kill with reflect?

Moonslasher damage scales with the level of overbrand skill learned, my moonslasher does about 10k damage after using shield spell 1, and no I use it all the time to finish mobs off, it definitely kills everything around me, and it's a great sp saver. 

Yes reflect damage is good but only with reflect damage gears such as valk manteau, thorny buckler+ bison horn, shadowmancer's helm, etc. However you also need to max it out for it to actually be useful, that goes for just about every skill as well.

Edited by SaintMichael, 14 November 2014 - 11:05 PM.

#18 harlokjai

harlokjai

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:58 AM

Do i only need shield spell 1?  Or should i max it?

#19 SaintMichael

SaintMichael

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHeaven

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:31 PM

It depends on your build, if your going for inspiration then you'll have to eventually, I'd leave at 1 for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users