Expanding RO's Worlds - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Expanding RO's Worlds

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:31 PM

Pre-Renewal, it was hinted that Midgard and Niflheim would be Level 1 - 99 content while Alfheim and Jotunheim would be Level 100+ content. But it soon wasn't the case when Renewal was implemented. kRO got lazy and simply redid the levels of Midgard and Niflheim monsters rather than create more new content for Level 100+.

So let's speculate on what could've been. How would you have liked the worlds of Niflheim, Alfheim, and Jotunheim to be expanded (instead of having their levels and such reworked)?

Niflheim definitely needs more field maps and a dungeon of its own. Make it so you could revisit NPCs that died via quests in Midgard. (Of course, make it so you could only see them if you've done the quests.) Maybe have some quest involving a coalition of spirits that are trying to return to the world of the living but inevitably can't because they're dead so it ends up all depressing and stuff.

Alfheim and Jotunheim need to be developed as intricately as Midgard has. Have separate kingdoms in Alfheim; more towns and tribes in Jotunheim. Or maybe, GASP, let players create Laphine and Sapha characters with new job classes!

#2 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:24 PM

Other playable races that could be added to RO (and expanding Sapha and Laphine):

Laphine - Fairy race, small size. (Or maybe medium? The seem to be the same size as Normans.) Job Classes: Archer, Swordsman, Shaman? Starting area somewhere in Alfheim. Laphines are obviously an opposing race to Saphas so maybe automatic PVP between the two races?

Sapha - Tree race, big size. Job Classes: not sure, what do you guys think? Starting area is obviously somewhere in Jotunheim. Laphines are obviously an opposing race to Saphas so maybe automatic PVP between the two races?

Elf - Elf race, medium or big size (since they're supposed to be taller than Normans). Job Classes: Archer, Mage. Would have to remove Elven Ears from the game if this was implemented. Since they're supposed to be a dying race, maybe make it so players can only make elf characters during certain events. Starting area would be near Geffen.

Kobold - Wolf race, small size. Job Classes: Swordsman with exclusive Warrior 2nd Class. Would have to bring back Kordt Forest since that's their home.

Umbalan - Norman race, medium size. Job Classes: Swordsman with exclusive Warrior 2nd Class, Shaman. Let players pick their own mask or have masks be separate headgears?

Cat - Feline race, small size. Job Classes: Merchant, Thief. Have a separate islands as the starting zones and players would eventually advance to Malangdo. Or have players start out in another country (cats have their own country with their own language, but it's not mentioned what the name is yet).

Dvergar - Dwarf race, medium size. Job Classes: Merchant with exclusive Tank mount for Mechanics, Swordsman. Would definitely have to implement Svartalfaheim world and have it fleshed out as well as Midgard has.

Orc - Orc race, medium size. Job Classes: Swordsman with exclusive Warrior 2nd Class, Shaman. Would have to expand Orc Village for this. Orcs are obviously an opposing race to Normans so maybe automatic PVP between the two races?

Goblin - Goblin race, small size. Job Classes: Merchant with exclusive flying mounts for Mechanics, Swordsman. Would have to expand Goblin Village for this. Let players pick their own mask or have masks be separate headgears?

#3 NorthenBeggar

NorthenBeggar

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 718 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:22 PM

Other playable races that could be added to RO (and expanding Sapha and Laphine):

Are you saying that they should add race option when we're creating a character? If yes, then it's a great idea. I'm willing to pay for that, but to be fair Orc and Goblin are out of options because lore-wise, they hate humans and simply can't cooperate, even though I really like Goblins. Though I believe this won't be implemented since it will need a ton of works to do. New sprites, new gears, new sprite for each new gear for each new race, new classes, and balancing. I think it will somewhat revive the game, though.

About Jotunheim and Alfheim, I agree. I remember that hint you're talking about when Jotunheim first came to RO. Make separate kingdoms, and cities. That way, people can vend 3rd job gears in the capital of Jotunheim or whatever so Prontera won't be such a crowded place that turns new people away. My friend refused to play when I showed him Prontera. Couldn't see a thing, he said.

Oh, and that surely will give different atmosphere to each kingdom. The good ol human-ish life in Midgard, and the God-like level life in Jotunheim. Though again, I don't have much hope since it's iRO we're talking about.

Edited by NorthenBeggar, 14 November 2014 - 07:23 PM.

#4 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:34 PM

Are you saying that they should add race option when we're creating a character? If yes, then it's a great idea. I'm willing to pay for that, but to be fair Orc and Goblin are out of options because lore-wise, they hate humans and simply can't cooperate, even though I really like Goblins. Though I believe this won't be implemented since it will need a ton of works to do. New sprites, new gears, new sprite for each new gear for each new race, new classes, and balancing. I think it will somewhat revive the game, though.

About Jotunheim and Alfheim, I agree. I remember that hint you're talking about when Jotunheim first came to RO. Make separate kingdoms, and cities. That way, people can vend 3rd job gears in the capital of Jotunheim or whatever so Prontera won't be such a crowded place that turns new people away. My friend refused to play when I showed him Prontera. Couldn't see a thing, he said.

If other games can let players create opposing characters, why can't we? I'd like to hop around as a Goblin. I mean, look at those neat helicopter mounts they get. :U And how many games out there lets you play as an Orc or Goblin? Imagine how much more interesting WoE would be if we started creating guilds of various races, each with their own strengths and weaknesses?

Yes, Alfheim and Jotunheim should've been further developed as Level 100+ content instead of going the lazy route and redoing Niflheim and Midgard. Norse mythology consists of 9 worlds, why are we still stuck on mainly Midgard and Niflheim after 10 long years of development? Make new dungeons to replace Biolabs, Nameless, Holy Grounds, etc. instead of recycling what we've already got.

Or have new WoE castles in Alfheim and Jotunheim for Level 100+ and leave the Midgard WoE castles for 99 and under. If they won't update the old castles with better rewards, then make new ones with rewards more suited for Level 100+ players.

#5 hoikarnage

hoikarnage

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1876 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:37 PM

Don't worry, the GMs have heard your plea and have answered the call. Orc/Goblin Transformation scrolls coming to a cash shop near you!

#6 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:41 PM

I will not be satisfied until I have a Goblin Mechanic that fires cannons from its airborne steam engine.

How trolling would that be if kRO made it so Goblin Mechanics can repair their machines on the spot while Norman Mechanics still have to go back in town to get another Madogear?

#7 NorthenBeggar

NorthenBeggar

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:46 PM

If other games can let players create opposing characters, why can't we? I'd like to hop around as a Goblin. I mean, look at those neat helicopter mounts they get. :U And how many games out there lets you play as an Orc or Goblin? Imagine how much more interesting WoE would be if we started creating guilds of various races, each with their own strengths and weaknesses?

No. Orcs are basically disgusting filthy piece of sheet animals that won't cooperate with humans EVER, for whatever reason possible. It will require multiple factions feature to get it without breaking the RO universe, which will be cool but will not happen. Goblins are cool, though.

#8 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:59 PM

How about racial buffs?

Laphine - INT and DEX bonuses.

Sapha - STR bonuses? (Not sure what this race would be good at.)

Elf - Archer and Mage bonuses.

Kobold - AGI and DEX bonuses.

Umbalan - Same bonuses as Norman.

Cat - INT and AGI bonuses. More Merchant perks (maybe better Discount or Overcharge?). Rogue buffs?

Dvergar - INT and STR bonuses. Higher success rates for forging.

Orc - STR bonuses.

Goblin - INT and STR bonuses. Increases strength when in a Mechanic mount.

#9 NorthenBeggar

NorthenBeggar

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:08 PM

How about racial buffs?

That would be racist.

#10 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:09 PM

That would be racist.

Wouldn't be as interesting if there weren't racism.

#11 fuyukikun

fuyukikun

Disney Prince in Disguise

• Members
  • 12269 posts
  • LocationIndonesia
  • Server:Chaos, on hiatus

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:16 PM

my idea about races and their class:
norman: anything
orc: crusader branch
goblin: rogue branch
kobold: knight branch
owl: wizard branch
laphine: priest branch
sapha: monk branch
bifrost rafflessia: alchemist branch
cat: assassin branch
dwarves: blacksmith branch
elven: hunter branch
umbalan: sage branch
grasshoppers: performer branch
porings: novice branch
moles: gunslinger branch
raccoons/seals/otters: ninja branch
devils: soul linker branch
dragons: taekwon master branch

Edited by fuyukikun, 14 November 2014 - 08:39 PM.

#12 Renko

Renko

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Server:Chaos / Classic

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:41 PM

story wise, rekember corp. is a powerful antagonist, so bio-lab, nameless and holy ground are correctly end game settings

Edited by Renko, 14 November 2014 - 08:42 PM.

#13 xLoli

xLoli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1143 posts
  • LocationVirginia, U.S.
  • Server:Valkyrie > Chaos

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:44 PM

I'm all for being a Laphine Wanderer. <3

#14 fuyukikun

fuyukikun

Disney Prince in Disguise

• Members
  • 12269 posts
  • LocationIndonesia
  • Server:Chaos, on hiatus

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:55 PM

forgot to mention sapha itself has sub races:
geltan -> the warrior type
piom -> the worker type
knit -> the intelligent type

laphine also, but i forgot how many. but the mayor of Eclage belongs to Dona subrace.

#15 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:39 PM

story wise, rekember corp. is a powerful antagonist, so bio-lab, nameless and holy ground are correctly end game settings

For Midgard's story, yeah, but they haven't touched any of the other Norse worlds so there's plenty of opportunities for other, more powerful antagonists on Alfheim, Jotunheim, and Niflheim.

#16 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:02 PM

No. Orcs are basically disgusting filthy piece of sheet animals that won't cooperate with humans EVER, for whatever reason possible. It will require multiple factions feature to get it without breaking the RO universe, which will be cool but will not happen.

Tame Successful!

@topic I would absolutely love to see an expansion of the monsters and locales in the New World. I would also like to imagine that, instead of rehashing old content in the form of instance dungeons and pallete swapping monsters, new locations could become a reality should Gravity be so inclined to develop it (and the community shouts loudly enough for it). I don't believe that the races will ever come to be a thing on RO, but it's fun to hypothesise and brainstorm on their abilities.

#17 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:10 PM

i think we would be better off trying to get more hair, eye, and skintone options vs trying to make whole new races... but i do agree the world needs to be bigger... need more monsters to kill if we are gonna be getting new level caps...

#18 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:09 AM

World progression (ideal version):

Midgard & Niflheim/Hel (Level 1-99)
Players start off dealing with other Normans and the realm of the dead. Norman politics (Rune-Midgarts, Arunafeltz, & Schwarzwald) as well as fighting a powerful entity (Rekenber Corporation) make up the bulk of the quest content.

Alfheim & Jotunheim (Level 100-199)
Players progress to exploring worlds beyond Midgard, beginning with the Laphines of Alfheim and the Saphas of Jotunheim. Players can choose to help one or the other or be a neutral party to both. Alfheim content would mainly consist of different kingdoms while Jotunheim content would center around the different Jotunn of Jotunheim. Possibly reveal backstory into Geffenia?

Svartalfaheim & Muspelheim (Level 200 - 299)
Players become stronger in order to explore the harsher reaches of the Dwarven world of Svartalfaheim and take on Surt and his legion of demons in Muspelheim. The real Baphomet and Dark Lord would be found here, much more powerful than their weak projections on Midgard.

Asgard & Vanaheim (Level 300+)
Obviously, by the time you get to the godly realms of Asgard and Vanaheim, players should be much more powerful than they were on mortal Midgard. Players would finally face off against the main antagonist of Ragnarok herself, Freyja.

#19 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:15 AM

Them levels. What do you work for tri-Ace or something?

#20 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:21 AM

Them levels. What do you work for tri-Ace or something?

We're almost at 200 with the current max on kRO at 175. 300 doesn't seem so farfetched at this rate.

Edited by ZeroTigress, 15 November 2014 - 01:41 AM.

#21 DarkGazer

DarkGazer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1842 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:27 AM

Yikes. I can sorta see the level cap getting to 200 if Gravity wants to lazily add something that players can focus on doing, but 300+ is just pushing it.

Like your idea of RO world progression though. :p_laugh:

Edited by DarkGazer, 15 November 2014 - 01:36 AM.

#22 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:41 AM

Thanks to someone from the iRO RaidCall, I came up with another idea.

Since War of Emperium is part of Midgard+Niflheim/Hel content (Level 1-99), a new GvG feature should be implemented for Alfheim+Jotunheim content (Level 100-199). Get rid of WoE:TE and simply limit War of Emperium to levels 1-99 in order to bring this new feature into the game.

War of the New World
This new GvG feature would be restricted to those Level 100-199. Instead of players destroying Emperiums, the main targets of WNW are special MVPs in the WNW castles(Alfheim)/dungeons(Jotunheim). MVPs would be the equivalent of WoE's Emperium and WoE2's barricades and guardian stones with the strongest MVPs being the main target to conquer a castle/dungeon. Once a guild has taken a castle/dungeon, the main MVP will respawn after 3 (maybe 5?) minutes so other guilds have a chance to take over the castle/dungeon. Defending guilds would have to deal with fighting off invader guilds in addition to keeping themselves from getting wiped by the main MVP.

There would be a WNW1 that follows WoE1 mechanics and a WNW2 that follows WoE2 mechanics. Castle/dungeon treasures would reward guild supplies or PVP gear (or something else). The more castles you conquer, the more reputation you gain for Jotunheim. The more dungeons you conquer, the more reputation you gain for Alfheim. Reputation would be the WNW equivalent of WoE's econ system.

Guilds that own a WNW castle/dungeon would get special perks such as discounts (castle owners get Alfheim NPC discounts; dungeon owners would get Jotunheim discounts) in addition to access to special gears and enchants in addition to Cat Hand Group services.

Edited by ZeroTigress, 15 November 2014 - 12:56 PM.

#23 lylylight

lylylight

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:47 AM

Bump for Zero !!!!!!

#24 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts