Rune Knight vs Royal Guard paths, help a new out :3 - Swordsman Class - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Rune Knight vs Royal Guard paths, help a new out :3

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Chelu

Chelu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:18 PM

Hello! I'm Chelu (the great) and I've just recently started playing RO, I'm a fresh newby and I don't have a clue what to do with my life xD

I decided to start out on a lowly swordsman, because what great hero doesn't have a sword? It's like... anime necessity to have a frikking sword and cool hair! However... I'm struggling to decide between a Rune Knight and a Royal Guard as a end game. Keep in mind I know nothing of the game and probably won't be understanding of pretty basic things... so help me out a bit if you could?

Normally with MMOs I go for point blank "SCREW YOU" skills as I can get fairly angry at things. However, I also like being a little tanky so if I look away for half a second I'm not going to be lying dead on the ground. Sometimes when it's possible I like being a reflect damage tank, I saw you could accomplish this on an RG and thought that might be interesting. But I also saw how a RK can have access to those cool rune things and the dragons and I just don't know what I want!

So... I want to be moderately tanky with a lot of damage, I like having utility and -_- though and would rather not be a one trick pony. I like creative builds and classes as well, and sometimes diverge from the norms.

Last thing... I'm not for sure if I want to PvP later, so let's pretend I wanna do both PvP and PvM in the future? :3

:thx:                           
-Chelu the Great

#2 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:02 AM

RK is a truly versatile job(probally the easiest job in the game to go hybrid with, It's downright easy for them to be effective hybrid char), opposed to saders, thanks to their spear skills. However I still suggest going classic with them(aka GC build or support build if you want to help parties out).

The reason why GC is so powerful(and even more so since Holy armor is cheap to get now, since there's also a set that gives you Holy Element too, so now GCers have options), is some of the best places to hunt in the game, are full of mobs weak to Holy, not to mention that build requires a lot of int, so your heal spell will be very effective. There are a bunch of MVPs that become super easy to kill as well.

RKs are versatile in another way, they use physical skills, so they can do good against anything, and their skills generally come with to hit bonuses(so their hit is naturally high), they can solo way better. While they could probally solo just fine in say chiv 2(aka Raydrics), they're far from the best job to do so. They tend to have to spam pots more often, but they are the best rounded character to fight MvPs, mobbing, and in WOE(they are 1 of only 2 jobs that can get through precast np, infact with the right gears, magic damage Isn't gonna do a damn thing to them, infact their job in WOE, is to break precast.

The major downside to them though, is their gear is expensive, so while in a way It's the best starting char(easy to learn, and one of the easiest to master), It's also one of the worst characters to start off with, because It's a very expensive gear heavy job.

Judging by what you usually play, RK or even a sin char would be best. Saders while are one of the best tanks in the game, tend to die if you're not keeping a eye on tem(they have a lot of HP, and the heal spell to help them tank, but they tend to take a lot of damage from physical attacks)

You can also reflect damage with a RK as well, plus there's gear that helps you reflect damage too, so that's not a deciding factor between the two.

Yea the runes are awesome, and potentially makes RK easily one of the best char in the game(providing you master the timing/use of the runes ofcourse)

Ah now you just hit on the weakest aspect of a RG, the one thing they aren't good at, is PvP, and you definitely can't build one to do "both" at the same time. RGs are good in PVM, downright great in PVM parties, and dect MVPers, but not good for PvP/WOE at all.

If you might want to do PvP/WOE, between the two jobs, definitely go RK.

#3 Chelu

Chelu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:28 AM

If RKs are expensive then how in the world will I accomplish gearing them?
*tears*

Ok, so my best bet is the Knight route... uhm...
Can I have some explanations of a couple of build paths now? Mainstream and not mainstream :P I like the weird ones too.

#4 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10853 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Renew Chaos

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:29 AM

Rune knight is stronger and better than Royal guard in almost every way but like the previous post already mentioned, just more expensive to gear up and maintain.

I would say, for you

MvP & PvM: Doesnt matter but leaning toward RK
PvP & WoE: RK (unless you want to sacrifice people and be their extra HP, then RG)

Edited by ChakriGuard, 17 November 2014 - 08:39 AM.

#5 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:45 AM

If RKs are expensive then how in the world will I accomplish gearing them?
*tears*

Ok, so my best bet is the Knight route... uhm...
Can I have some explanations of a couple of build paths now? Mainstream and not mainstream :P I like the weird ones too.

Well that's why It's better for completely new comers to RO to go sin, rogue, hunter or mage(if you know people to party with) for their first char, because they're cheap gearwise(rogue will make you a fortune early on, sins are decent money makers as well, since they kill so fast, and like rogue, wont need to buy a ton of pots).

In the old days before trans, Knight gears were very cheap, but as trans came along, and most other jobs got insanely powerful skills(then 3rd jobs), more powerful monsters were added, better, and better equipment had to be made to bring the Knight tier job type upto par(since the job It's self is the most balanced in the game, it has no I'm a god now skill, plus it being a tanking job, it require ever increasing better gear, to keep up with the power lv, of both monsters, and players).

Also the 2nd char a player makes, should "always" be a merchant, so don't forget to lv one of them as well(for vending, OC, discount, appraisal skills).

To Chakriguard: So true. RG basically stands for cheaper gears, and a bit more "efficient" taking on enemies weak to holy+ they can make for use of auto cast spell based cards/equipment. Sac has very little going for it, compared to the Knight's natural tanking ability. It's only useful for acting as a bodyguard in WOE(technically it could be used to help support weaker char while fighting higher end MVPs, but you'll need to be near lv cap, to manage that).

If you like the RG, there's no reason not to play it OP, but yea Knight/RK is pretty much considered to be the all around better job, It's just very expensive, especially in the long run.

I really do strong ly suggest the Rogue as a first char(they're AGI based, so they lv super fast, the 2nd highest FLEE rate in the game, so at mid-high lv, not much will beable to hit them often, good gear can be had cheaply, and their Gank skill will help you make a bankroll, so later on you can afford to make a RK np.

Edited by Zoltor, 17 November 2014 - 09:07 AM.

#6 Chelu

Chelu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:49 AM

Well that's why It's better for completely new comers to RO to go sin, rogue, hunter or mage(if you know people to party with) for their first char, because they're cheap gearwise(rogue will make you a fortune early on, sins are decent money makers as well, since they kill so fast, and like rogue, wont need to buy a ton of pots).

In the old days before trans, Knight gears were very cheap, but as trans came along, and most other jobs got insanely powerful skills(then 3rd jobs), more powerful monsters were added, better, and better equipment had to be made to bring the Knight tier job type upto par(since the job It's self is the most balanced in the game, it has no I'm a god now skill, plus it being a tanking job, it require ever increasing better gear, to keep up with the power lv, of both monsters, and players).

Also the 2nd char a player makes, should "always" be a merchant, so don't forget to lv one of them as well(for vending, OC, discount, appraisal skills).

I saw somewhere that you could make a blacksmith for making money? 

#7 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:10 AM

I saw somewhere that you could make a blacksmith for making money? 

You can make a Battle smith if you want, and unlike Rogue, they do have a AOE, but the AOE its self sucks up zenny if I recall, so It's really a double edged sword, but yea the AOE skill(forgot the name atm), plus Greed is a money maker too.

#8 Chelu

Chelu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:22 AM

I looked up rogues, they look interesting for making money... but so does that greed thing on blacksmiths...

But back to another  question
WHERE DO I PUT THE POINTS AND THE SKILLS AND THE BLEH QQ

I'm just putting things in Strength, Vitality, and Dexterity because they seem the most useful.

#9 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:34 AM

I looked up rogues, they look interesting for making money... but so does that greed thing on blacksmiths...

But back to another  question
WHERE DO I PUT THE POINTS AND THE SKILLS AND THE BLEH QQ

I'm just putting things in Strength, Vitality, and Dexterity because they seem the most useful.

For a Knight, those are thee main stats you want, yea

For swordman skills, it depends on one thing, are you planning to use BB when you're a Knight or do you want to use Brandish Spear? BB is more powerful, but has gutter lines, and a longer casting delay. Where Brandish Spear is spammable, great for spreading status effects/spell triggering effects(great in WOE to spread Status Effects), and frankly I consider it a better MVP skill, especially with proper gear(although BB is probally marginally better in reg PVM, as it can 1 hit things a lot of the time, where it usually takes 2 shots to kill mobs with Brandish).

Edited by Zoltor, 17 November 2014 - 10:36 AM.

#10 Chelu

Chelu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:39 AM

For a Knight, those are thee main stats you want, yea

For swordman skills, it depends on one thing, are you planning to use BB when you're a Knight or do you want to use Brandish Spear? BB is more powerful, but has gutter lines, and a longer casting delay. Where Brandish Spear is spammable, great for spreading status effects/spell triggering effects(great in WOE to spread Status Effects), and frankly I consider it a better MVP skill, especially with proper gear(although BB is probally marginally better in reg PVM, as it can 1 hit things a lot of the time, where it usually takes 2 shots to kill mobs with Brandish).

I have no idea what those things are ._.
*wiki* Okay maybe a little.

#11 SaintMichael

SaintMichael

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHeaven
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:05 AM

http://www.rpgfanatic.net/advanced_game_wiki_database.html?p=walkthroughs&wrid=5048&game=ragnarok+online

Here's a beginner guide for ya ^^, this will explain the basics. As far as the whole Rune Knight vs Royal Guard debate goes I'm here to tell you that both classes are capable of fulfilling the role of either a Bruiser or Tank, it mainly comes down to what gears you choose and stats. A lot of people will tell you that a Royal Guard is just an extra life bar and does nothing but absorb damage for squishy classes, and that Rune Knights are superior because they have a skill that ignores racial reductions, called Dragon Breath(not for forever though). My advice would be to ignore these people lol, no but seriously they will only mislead you, instead you should look at the main end game gear and weapons that each class has available to them and then decide for yourself what you should be. For starters search up Vellum/Bellum  glaive, spear, claymore, katzbalger, imperial spear and shield, and heavy shield. Next you should look at the Rune Knight Ur's and Peuz's sets, black ribbon, divine guard hat, cat ear beret, woes sets, and finally the temporal boots.  Also should mention any class is just as good as another class when fully optimized, for example a Bruiser Royal Guard has an equal chance of taking out a Bruiser Rune Knight on equal terms in either PVP or WOE, and vise versa as long as the player made their build right and uses their class effectively. So the decision mainly falls upon A) cosmetics and B) the price for using certain skills. For example Royal Guards need to grind experience every time they use Inspiration, or if they choose banding they then need to have at least one fellow Royal Guard with the skill as well in order activate it. Mean while Rune Knights have to collect certain items in order to use their Rune Skills, they can collect them in 1 of two ways: A)buy them from another player or B) farm them yourself. Although I can honestly say if your leaning towards making a Tank I would strongly recommend a Hundred Spear+ Dragon Breath Rune Knight over a Royal Guard Tank, which I would argue is only useful using banding. Hoped this helped.   

Edited by SaintMichael, 17 November 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#12 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:31 AM

I have no idea what those things are ._.
*wiki* Okay maybe a little.

Oh wooks sorry about that, calling it BB is a habit lol. BB=Bowling Bash.

#13 UrekMazino

UrekMazino

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 480 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Retired

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:56 AM

runeknight first because its fun to play then make RG when you get bored^^

#14 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:20 PM

runeknight first because its fun to play then make RG when you get bored^^

Yea, Knight route jobs are super fun in RO, can't wait until I reach RK. I'm a 67 LK now, having fun with infinite SP, Pierce 1hitting static Golems right now. It was slow going from lv 60-65, but now that I can wear appropriate equips, I'm just owning things like It's my job :) Not to mention getting a metric ton of Elu as well, but I'm shocked I didn't get a card yet, damn static Golems are stubborn.

Edited by Zoltor, 17 November 2014 - 02:46 PM.

#15 kasshin

kasshin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3686 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:26 PM

RK is more favored as you can see mentioned above, but although it seems nobody wants to do it, playing sacrifice RG is extremely important and is a crucial role no other class can perform.

For PVM / MVP, RG is not weak either. I soloed this week's high TI (Cenere + Banshee) using very little supplies / zeny (probably less than 200k worth).

Unless the player develops some kind of unwarranted bias for one of the two classes, playing both is actually very enjoyable in their own way and most people who like swordsman type characters eventually make both.

Edited by kasshin, 17 November 2014 - 12:28 PM.

#16 VModCinnamon

VModCinnamon

Tranquility

• VMod Retired
  • 16663 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:35 PM

As a note constructive posts within topic are welcome anything else will be removed.

Edited by VModCinnamon, 17 November 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#17 UrekMazino

UrekMazino

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:14 PM

As a note constructive posts within topic are welcome anything else will be removed.

thank you

#18 johnnycakes

johnnycakes

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Server:Chaos - Renewal

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:59 AM

Welcome to iRO!

I have both an RG and RK. They are 150.

My RG is probably my favorite of the 2. He's a bruiser build but can sacrifice. He's an excellent tank with the right reductions. I used to WoE with him but now I just MVP.

I recently got my RK to 150, it's a pure DB (Dragon's Breath) build. I switched out my RG to WoE with the RK. WIth the right setup, it's pretty fun for WoE.

As far as leveling goes:

RG - I mostly solo'd the TI's with overbrand, moonslasher, shield spell and Vanishing Point.

RK - When I was a Lord Knight, I mostly used Spear Dynomo, Clashing Spiral, Brandish Spear. When I turned into Rune Knight, I only used Dragon's Breath. I solo'd the low TI, Mid TI depends on the monster, if the monster was weak to fire I would level in Juperos. After that I did High TI's with my girlfriend or solo'd Scaraba Hole Lvl 2. Even killed the MVP there when it was out. I know there are other methods for lvling RK's, but that's what I used.

They both are pretty good at tanking and dealing moderate damage when you wear the right reductions. I find that they both have decent attack skills, and RG has skills better suited for tanking. RK's can tank well with the right Rune's, but getting supplies for Runes can be a bit overwhelming at first. You may want to make a gank Rogue to hunt supplies yourself. In iRO you definitely need a merchant to vend with.

No matter which branch you chose, you will still need basic supplies. I won't go into detail because there's alot of different items out there that people use for this. I'll just list the ones that are easy for a new player to get. I'm sure you'll discover the other items as you play and interact with other players.

- Some kind of healing item,

"Fatty" Whites - the kind you buy from a tool dealer NPC. They weigh more and don't heal as good as slims.

Slim Whites - Weigh less than fatty whites, which allows you to carry more, heal a bit better. Only purchasable from vendors. Tend    to cost more than fatty whites.

- ASPD potions, some of these have class restrictions

Concentration Potions - no level requirement, 10% boost in ASPD

Awake Potions - usable at lvl 40, 15% boost in ASPD

Berserk Potions - usable at lvl 85, 20% boost in ASPD - This is the primary one you'll be using when you are 85+ these potions do      not stack with each other.

There are other aspd boosters in iRO, Guarana Candy (10% increase in ASPD and casts lvl 5 increase AGI. Guarana Candy is the same as Concentration Potion, and does not stack with the other two.) and Enrich Celermine Juice (ASPD +10%), as a new player, I wouldn't worry about them until you're more established.

- SP recovery items

AS a new player, your best bet are Strawberries. You can farm them one map East of Payon.

I didn't realize the wall of text I posted, I got carried away.

If this is confusing just let me know and I can try to explain it better.

If any veterans want to correct me just let me know. Knowledge is power!

Edited by johnnycakes, 18 November 2014 - 10:25 AM.

#19 Zayaan

Zayaan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1801 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:06 AM

RG - I mostly solo'd the TI's with overbrand, moonslasher, shield spell and Vanishing Point. The only map I actually went to go level at was Abyss Lake. The dragons there are considered range and Defending Aura made me take very little dmg.

Acidus' attacks are melee range, NOT long range. Defending Aura shouldn't reduce damage from them.

There are 2 other aspd boosters in iRO that DO stack with these 3 potions, Guarana Candy (10% increase in ASPD and casts lvl 5 increase AGI) and Enrich Celermine Juice (ASPD +10%),

Guarana Candy is the same as Concentration Potion, and does not stack with the other two.

Edited by Zayaan, 18 November 2014 - 10:24 AM.

#20 johnnycakes

johnnycakes

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Server:Chaos - Renewal

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:29 AM

Thanks for the corrections, I fixed my post.

I took out the part about the dragons. I'm sure you're right about DA not reducing Acidus attack.

#21 SaintMichael

SaintMichael

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHeaven

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:39 AM

- Some kind of healing item,

"Fatty" Whites - the kind you buy from a tool dealer NPC. They weigh more and don't heal as good as slims.

Slim Whites - Weigh less than fatty whites, which allows you to carry more, heal a bit better. Only purchasable from vendors. Tend    to cost more than fatty whites.

It's better to use two hell poodle cards with umbala spirit and buy meat, because fatty whites are still pretty expensive. Also the ranged bruiser Royal Guard branch can use ice cream with 2 snowier cards, since they won't be using an earth deleter card due to leveling with spear cannon and vanishing point, they can then use a marc card or evil druid card to gain freeze immunity, so ice cream won't freeze them.

Also should mention that leech gear is a must for pvm past 99, although depending on what your making determines what leech gear you'll need.  

#22 meli

meli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2688 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:58 AM

Also the ranged bruiser Royal Guard branch can use ice cream with 2 snowier cards, since they won't be using an earth deleter card due to leveling with spear cannon and vanishing point, they can then use a marc card or evil druid card to gain freeze immunity, so ice cream won't freeze them.

What server are you from that has royal guards leveling with those skills?

#23 SaintMichael

SaintMichael

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHeaven

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:14 PM

It doesn't matter if people use those skills to level up, people use wrong builds and equips all the time to level, the auto casting agi Rune Knights are a prime example of this lol. Cannon spear is one of the most underrated viable skills in the game, I've already done the math and cannon spear with the weapon cannon spear,100-120 str, and an elemental converter, will get you to 150 very fast, that's including leech gears of course. Additionally this type of build can also solo banshees and incarnations of morroc with a pvm build, with a MVP build they can solo old glast heim and just about every other instance on top that.      

#24 Chelu

Chelu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:11 AM

How do IB RK?

#25 UrekMazino

UrekMazino

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:33 AM

Ib + Db is pretty good for pvm with RTE(cheapweap) you could do good damage

Edited by Zepross03, 19 November 2014 - 09:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users