Best Class to Start With - Page 2 - New Player Zone and General Guides - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Best Class to Start With

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
60 replies to this topic

#26 Hakobune

Hakobune

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationNowhere I want to be that's for sure
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:The mismanaged cashgrab

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:52 AM

Assuming you are not VIP, you'll want to make three characters that will serve some purpose (as non VIP accounts can only make 3 characters).

At least 1 should be a merchant, ideally this won't be your priority character as merchants are a pain to level. your merchant is mainly for selling any weapons, gear, cards and whatever else with vend. Once you make enough money with a faster leveling character you can opt to gear up your merchant for whatever you want to do with it (Note: good genetic gears are VERY pricey if you intend to go genetic).

Your next slot should be used to make your bread winner class. Something that levels fast and cheap like an archer or mage type would be most efficient. Both classes are pretty easily geared with little or sometimes literally no money. Both are good for killing things but archer to ranger (always go trans, the only excuse for not transing is being a baby character) is the best choice as they are the more desired class for leveling and beat out both mage 3rd classes in almost every situation.

Your last slot should be something that you genuinely think you will have fun playing, assuming the previous two characters are not as much fun as you thought. Because if your just playing to make in game money and not having then you are not going to have a good time playing this game. At some point you should try to get VIP either through buying it with real money or doing those sketchy survey for WPE things warpportal offers (Or just make more accounts) to make more characters to fulfill whatever need you have.

#27 kasshin

kasshin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3686 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:00 AM

It looks like the original poster got his more specific alchemist questions in here so he should be good --> http://forums.warppo...ew-player-tips/

Anyway about the original topic, don't listen to Zoltor. Flee is fine in the early levels (1~80) for new players but it becomes pretty much insignificant after for PVM purposes. PVM at the higher levels is all AOE, all mobbing (at least 5-10 monster), all skill spamming, where flee is useless. Auto attack is the dumbest thing you can do or think about at the higher levels. That leaves Rogue / Stalker / SC with very limited or low damage AOEs of their own, or to copy other classes' AOEs but be less effective and/or use double the SP. SP pots are more expensive than HP pots in general, although there are ways around both. SC's end game is purely PVP/WoE oriented compared to all other classes.

Alchs have a slow start during the Alch phase and it's quite tough compared to other classes. However, pre-trans does require less EXP to get to 99 so that's a nice bonus. They can also get a Homu to help with base EXP early on. For biochem, if the player has a few friends that can help tank MVPs to acid bomb, that gives amazing EXP. Leveling with CC isn't amazing or anything without good gears (nothing really compares to arrow storm off the bat or for turn ins), but it's not horrible either. At least Genetic players have a great endgame goal to look forward to by being the best MVP class. In fact, they can already participate in endgame content / killing MVPs early on even as a low level genetic. Bombs and other consumables are costly for unfunded characters, but to be blunt, a lot of players are willing to spend WPE / KP on average and heck this is good for keeping the game alive and servers running.

#28 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:07 PM

About to turn lv 96, and haven't even used BB or even Intimidate in general yet. When I hit 100, for civ 2, I don't think I'm gonna even bother using Intimidate for BB, I'm gonna Copy Aspersio instead. The constant Holy Endow on any weapon I choose, will give me all the DPS I'll need.

I spam skills/AOEs with other jobs, I know what It's all about. What by going BB, I may beable to last a whole whopping 5-10 minutes until I'm out of SP(and probally not even that long), which inturn= I need to waste all my inventory space on Blues.

At the end of the day, I'll be lucky to make a run last 30m before I need to resupply, where ctrl clicking,+high FLEE to make those whites go a long distance, a single run can last upto 3-4 hours, and yes, that's with even using fws to locate enemies at record speeds.

Longer runs = more loot, more super rare drops, and yes even more xp in the long run, because you don't need to return to town, and hike back to the leveling/Treasure hunting map you were farming as often.

Edited by Zoltor, 02 December 2014 - 01:12 PM.

#29 kasshin

kasshin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3686 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:19 PM

So you're saying to single target ctrl-click monsters one at a time up to 99? And then up to 110? 120? Or...???

Have you leveled a SC (or any other class at that) beyond 99 or to anywhere near 150? If you did you would know how incredibly inefficient (or perhaps impossible) with single target. You'd also know how even with 120 AGI, which is a waste for most classes, and full flee equips, that you would still be unable to flee high level monsters.

Dealing with SP problems is a beginner's problem. Everyone knows about SP leech or recovery gears like Vanargand/RWH, Earth Deleter, and so on. Of course Rogue classes would have to deal with the extra SP cost; that's precisely one of the reasons why it is not a good class to start with because the class they are copying from at least have that one advantage over them.

#30 PervySageMarty

PervySageMarty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3959 posts
  • LocationUnderground like a wild potato

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:21 PM

So everyone says AB is the best starting class. While you support others you can pick up how other classes are played and then develop the taste for other classes.

Therefore as everyone is trying to suggest in a roundabout method, try out ArchBishop........supporting others is fun!

#31 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:32 PM

So you're saying to single target ctrl-click monsters one at a time up to 99? And then up to 110? 120? Or...???

Have you leveled a SC (or any other class at that) beyond 99 or to anywhere near 150? If you did you would know how incredibly inefficient (or perhaps impossible) with single target. You'd also know how even with 120 AGI, which is a waste for most classes, and full flee equips, that you would still be unable to flee high level monsters.

Dealing with SP problems is a beginner's problem. Everyone knows about SP leech or recovery gears like Vanargand/RWH, Earth Deleter, and so on. Of course Rogue classes would have to deal with the extra SP cost; that's precisely one of the reasons why it is not a good class to start with because the class they are copying from at least have that one advantage over them.

It's about pure math, low SP char, who also have high ASPD, will always be better off just attacking, then spamming X expensive skill. If anything, for such characters, AOE skill spamming is more effective at lower levels, because It's already fast to lv to beginwith, so runs don't need to last long at all to gain good xp.

When you get to high levels, you really need to last longer, if a run can't last atleast an hour, technically you're actually losing xp, due to all the wasted time, and your treasure hunting capeabilites will suck as well.

Rogues, Stalkers, and SCs are not Pallies or even LKs, don't try to treat them as if they were.

To Marty: not a easy thing to learn, but your method is the fastest way to mastering the game(pick a really complicated char to start with, and eventually you'll be all the better for it). However OP, if you go that route, definitely join a guild as fast as possible.

Edited by Zoltor, 02 December 2014 - 01:37 PM.

#32 Riemn

Riemn

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:54 PM

Wow, Zoltor, you seems to be so damn good man, why don't you start a Newbie Guide or, even better, Zoltor's RO School* ?

* LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

#33 kasshin

kasshin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3686 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:04 PM

It's about pure math, low SP char, who also have high ASPD, will always be better off just attacking, then spamming X expensive skill. If anything, for such characters, AOE skill spamming is more effective at lower levels, because It's already fast to lv to beginwith, so runs don't need to last long at all to gain good xp.

When you get to high levels, you really need to last longer, if a run can't last atleast an hour, technically you're actually losing xp, due to all the wasted time, and your treasure hunting capeabilites will suck as well.

Rogues, Stalkers, and SCs are not Pallies or even LKs, don't try to treat them as if they were.

To Marty: not a easy thing to learn, but your method is the fastest way to mastering the game(pick a really complicated char to start with, and eventually you'll be all the better for it). However OP, if you go that route, definitely join a guild as fast as possible.

You didn't answer my question about whether you have leveled a high level character. Also you ignored the whole part about SP leech.

Soloing isn't easy / cheap at the higher levels. That's why people opt for TI parties because there are big AOE killers (Rangers) and healers (AB). Magnificat also helps SP a lot in terms of regen, and sometimes you get a Sorc or Wanderer too. Rather than killing monsters one at a time, waiting 10-20 minutes for a party and blasting your way through once it does begin is much more efficient and ends up giving better EXP per hour.

What really is pure math is that the EXP curve at the higher levels is so intense that you need to kill 100,000 monsters just to gain one level or something ridiculous like that. Are you going to ctrl-click that many monsters one at a time just to gain one level?

I don't recommend ABs as a starting class unless two friends are starting at the same time. They are undeniably the number one most important class for Gramps TIs, even higher than rangers because other classes can AOE too but no other class can effectively heal the whole average party. Although TIs never really have enough ABs, I do think it's more appropriate for players to create a class that can hunt and kill as their first class, both at the lower levels (to at least go from 1-70) as well as the higher levels. Adoramus, ME, and so on sometimes just end up spoiling their skill trees or skill progression too much.

#34 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:25 PM

You didn't answer my question about whether you have leveled a high level character. Also you ignored the whole part about SP leech.

Soloing isn't easy / cheap at the higher levels. That's why people opt for TI parties because there are big AOE killers (Rangers) and healers (AB). Magnificat also helps SP a lot in terms of regen, and sometimes you get a Sorc or Wanderer too. Rather than killing monsters one at a time, waiting 10-20 minutes for a party and blasting your way through once it does begin is much more efficient and ends up giving better EXP per hour.

What really is pure math is that the EXP curve at the higher levels is so intense that you need to kill 100,000 monsters just to gain one level or something ridiculous like that. Are you going to ctrl-click that many monsters one at a time just to gain one level?

I don't recommend ABs as a starting class unless two friends are starting at the same time. They are undeniably the number one most important class for Gramps TIs, even higher than rangers because other classes can AOE too but no other class can effectively heal the whole average party. Although TIs never really have enough ABs, I do think it's more appropriate for players to create a class that can hunt and kill as their first class, both at the lower levels (to at least go from 1-70) as well as the higher levels. Adoramus, ME, and so on sometimes just end up spoiling their skill trees or skill progression too much.

Do you even play the game? If so you should know people can easily lv past 80 lol without AOEs. If you want AOE, play a AOE based char, not a char infamously known to have no good AOEs, and the AOE they can copy, "Isn't even spamable". By the time you get two casts of it off, lol you could've killed 3, almost 4 enemies already.

It goes without saying, you need higher end gear at later levels to be a effective soloer(especially if you want to farm on the better treasure hunting maps. There's a reason why such items are worth a fortune, not only are the items awesome, but It's not easy to farm such, so fewer people do), afterall, you only have yourself to rely on.

Lol but then if you're in IT party as a Stalker/SC, you're not fighting anyway, you're having everyone else do such for you.

#35 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9782 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:32 PM

level 80 isnt hight level.... high level is 120+

#36 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:45 PM

level 80 isnt hight level.... high level is 120+

Lmao, using POS BB at lv 120+ with a SC, that's a good one. It better beable to do 20k+ damage per use(seeing how It's only 500% damage, I highly doubt it) or while you're waiting to cast it the tons of times you need to, for it to kill anything, the ever increasing mob, will have fun killing you.

No it Isn't, but weren't you the person who said, after lv 80, you'll want to use AOEs?

Also for the record, being able to kill faster, and for "longer" is a hell of a lot more efficient then taking out a hand full of mobs, with the most overrated AOE in the game, and then having to resupply.

Edited by Zoltor, 02 December 2014 - 03:46 PM.

#37 Catastrophe2k13

Catastrophe2k13

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in oceania
  • Server:Renewal-Chaos

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:46 PM

I never thought CTRL attacking is better than AoE when it comes to leveling/farming at high levels until Zoltor mentioned it LOL

Edited by Catastrophe2k13, 02 December 2014 - 03:47 PM.

#38 CharAznable

CharAznable

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2716 posts
  • LocationWest Pront
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:47 PM

Do you even play the game? If so you should know people can easily lv past 80 lol without AOEs. If you want AOE, play a AOE based char, not a char infamously known to have no good AOEs, and the AOE they can copy, "Isn't even spamable". By the time you get two casts of it off, lol you could've killed 3, almost 4 enemies already.

It goes without saying, you need higher end gear at later levels to be a effective soloer(especially if you want to farm on the better treasure hunting maps. There's a reason why such items are worth a fortune, not only are the items awesome, but It's not easy to farm such, so fewer people do), afterall, you only have yourself to rely on.

Lol but then if you're in IT party as a Stalker/SC, you're not fighting anyway, you're having everyone else do such for you.

Its quite amazing that you're keep looking down on people who have more experience on renewal than you who just started playing renewal again. Stalker can hunt way faster, and more effectively with Sightless Mind, and other skill. In fact, Sightless Mind is one of the better AoE among the melee character pool. 

In TI situation, up until 125, Chaser can be pretty effective as a killer. even after 125, SC can go on par with Sorc now because of Temp Boots. Whats even better, SC can Mob for the team AND kill at the same time. I think you're the one who's limiting potential of Chaser to be just pure ctrl+click character. 

#39 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:52 PM

I never thought CTRL leveling is better than AoE when it comes to leveling/farming at high levels until Zoltor mentioned it LOL

On a high ASPD char, with a expensive low damage AOE as It's AOE, every single day of the week.

Having to take half as many white, so you can take Blues with you, is not good, a low int char relying on a expensive AOE skill to do their job, is not good, having to resupply every 15-30 minutes is not good.

None of those drawbacks are good for leveling or treasure hunting.

To ChargeAznable:  In most respects, SM is infinitely better then BB, bigger AOE no knockback(not to mention can cause status effects), and It's "sort of" spamable.

The only problem with that skill, is It's expensive as well, so you still end up having to resupply often, but yea I can see a SC using that in TI. I don't know about it out damaging a high lv magic user though.

Edited by Zoltor, 02 December 2014 - 04:20 PM.

#40 seaechiowai

seaechiowai

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 904 posts
  • LocationIrvine, SoCal USA
  • Server:iRO Renewal Chaos

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:02 PM

I see that you started with merchant to make a geneticist. Gens are great, probably #1 MVPers of the game if not at least the top 3. That said I highly recommend against solo leveling it. They have hard time legit leveling until getting cart cannons/fire expansion and the fact you have to level homunculus seperately makes them take even longer. I think you better off party-share leech exp your merchant with another character like an archer or professor-to-be(they have a skill that transfer SPs, this saves a ton of money down the road). Hell, if I were starting anew and/or get serious with the game, I'd raise archbishop/ranger/sorcerer/geneticist at the same time and maybe even a pair of linkers if my computer could take it. Raising multiple characters at once is times faster compared to raising one at a time, not to mention the cheapest, just because that is how the game is designed. This in combination of exp multiplier gears and items are how non VIP people max their characters in two months. Multiclienting is allowed legal way to play the renewal server now, you don't need to worry about getting banned for it. Of course, if you can find a friend to play with you, that will be even better.

#41 kasshin

kasshin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3686 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:41 PM

Level 80 isn't even half the battle to 150. Heck, it's not even 1/100 of the way there, if you look at the EXP chart. Most new players go the ctrl-click route to ~80 but it's obviously not feasible for 80+ or 110+ or whatever.

I like how you don't acknowledge the fact that SP leech gears are available. Same goes for HP leech gears (Hunter Fly etc.) or healing boosters (pumpkins, ice cream, whatever). The game isn't just limited to blues and whites.

#42 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:01 PM

Level 80 isn't even half the battle to 150. Heck, it's not even 1/100 of the way there, if you look at the EXP chart. Most new players go the ctrl-click route to ~80 but it's obviously not feasible for 80+ or 110+ or whatever.

I like how you don't acknowledge the fact that SP leech gears are available. Same goes for HP leech gears (Hunter Fly etc.) or healing boosters (pumpkins, ice cream, whatever). The game isn't just limited to blues and whites.

My Stalker is almost lv 99, and hasn't used a AOE yet.

On a Knight type char I do, but on a SC, all you can hope to do is mitigate the SP loss ever so slightly, most SP gen gear wouldn't be that good for a SC(a Earth Deleter card in a Elemental Armor, would probally be the only armor type gen equipment that would be somewhat efficient for them, and not force you to replace equipment you need, with a crappy gen equip, that is slow as hell.

I guess you could always bring a Moonlight dagger with you, with high ASPD that would be the best way to get a SC's SP back. That would be viable, bring no Blues with you, and then when you run out of SP, use the Moonlight Dagger for a few minutes.

#43 DarkGazer

DarkGazer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1842 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:19 PM

I don't really see the point of you two arguing when OP already picked out a class for himself/herself. lol. :heh:

#44 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:29 PM

I don't really see the point of you two arguing when OP already picked out a class for himself/herself. lol. :heh:

True, fair enough.

It's a shame OP didn't pick SC, we so need more.

Atleast OP didn't go with GX, omfg I'm sick of seeing no one talk about anything in the Thief forum, other then that brokenly OPed job route.

#45 Omnipheles

Omnipheles

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1151 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:Chaos - Renewal

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:41 PM

You're not even third class yet, your opinion about endgame means nothing, Zoltor. You speak of 99 Stalker as if it was something special while a veteran can get to third class from lvl 1 novice in under a day (I know I can anyway). As for autoattacking, With plenty of AoEs on autocast and high single target damage you can still do it efficiently. Also people don't talk much about SC as it's almost completely irrelevant to the non-pvp scene. SC is a "for fun" class in PvM more than anything and a god-tier annoying class in PvP/WoE.

#46 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:52 PM

You're not even third class yet, your opinion about endgame means nothing, Zoltor. You speak of 99 Stalker as if it was something special while a veteran can get to third class from lvl 1 novice in under a day (I know I can anyway). As for autoattacking, With plenty of AoEs on autocast and high single target damage you can still do it efficiently. Also people don't talk much about SC as it's almost completely irrelevant to the non-pvp scene. SC is a "for fun" class in PvM more than anything and a god-tier annoying class in PvP/WoE.

Yea, by cheating one way or another. Such people who do such, are complete scumbags

Lmao, so unless you can nuke a map, you're not viable in non-PvP/WOE?

Anyone who thinks that, has no idea how to even use a Stalker/SC type char. It's not just a "for fun" type of char. It's a hardcore treasure hunting char, whom can even take on MVPs depending on stat build, and equipment.

#47 Omnipheles

Omnipheles

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1151 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:00 PM

The hell? Cheating? You obviously know nothing about the game as it currently is, so keep your accusations to yourself.

#48 iDaehyun

iDaehyun

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 793 posts
  • Location桃花島

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:03 PM

That's what I used to think when I first played this game, now, I can get a lv1 novice to 99/70 Sniper in less than 7 hours.

Edited by iDaehyun, 02 December 2014 - 06:05 PM.

#49 Omnipheles

Omnipheles

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1151 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:06 PM

Well yeah a ranged character can probably do it the fastest due to the horrible position lag melee classes suffer from, but it's possible on almost all (if not all) classes nowadays in under a day.

#50 gabrixd

gabrixd

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:18 AM

well I'm just playing the game normally, and I'm really enjoying the leveling process, the bounty boards in the cities make it much easier and rewarding.

And the players have helped me a little too answering some questions.

I've created a thief also, It'll be a assassin probably because I liked the class aspect, but i felt sad when I learned that I can't play an agile character properly, one because the item prices are huge, and the other factor is what many ppl said above, agi is useless after certain level, and I enjoyed the aspd aspect of the game, wanted to create an Agi Knight some day but I don't know anymore.

I'm just saying this for you guys to keep track of my progess, I'm enjoying this server a lot more than I was expecting.

See ya after the maintenance :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users