28 replies to this topic

#1 BoyAtlas

BoyAtlas

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 480 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:13 AM

Hi I am using a OB/VP build atm and dont know if i wanna go inspiration  until maybe when im 145 or so(currently 132)

was wondering what skills you guys would recommend outside of the recomended skills to max OB VP and sheild spell 1.....I havent used any of the extra jlvls yet so I was curious on how maxed sheild press is in terms of dmg and how about Moonslayer maxed? I don't wanna go inspiration because i usually play solo without vip so 1% vip is kind of a big deal

I currently use a +7 imp spear with ea4/sharp4 so would maxing cannon spear be better or as effective as OB at my current lvl?

Stats currently

LVL 132 nonvip

Str 100+10

Agi 63+7

Vit 89+8

Int 40+10

Dex 90+10

Luck 4+7

ty for your time

Edited by BoyAtlas, 02 December 2014 - 06:28 AM.

#2 MoyuZ777

MoyuZ777

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2081 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:14 AM

I got a similar build to yours but I got no idea how can you level without running out of SP. Even with Leech gear I find myself running out of SP. After that point it gets boring to sit down to recover. I do use Strawberry but I gotta use like 20 of them to recover some of my SP.

How do you do it?

I got Earth delete, Nid with Ray, Hunting Spear with Hunter Fly, no Leech headgear yet.

#3 BoyAtlas

BoyAtlas

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:33 AM

I have a +9 RWH it helps loads especially with a earth deleter but +9 RWH is very expensive and even still I do find myself having to sit from time to time..

since I dont own a HBP yet I usually wing  endure kite to a wall or until all  mobs are in one spot then ob...

I gain most my lvls in High Ti because it can be a pain sitting or solo lvling in general without vip

I also have a lot of def hp and neutral resistance

my gear is

+9 RWH(solves most my SP issues)

Robo Eye

Iron Chain

+4 Ebone armor+Peco card ///+7 Earth deleter mink coat

+7 imp spear

+4 Rosa Sheild+Hodremlin(very useful)15% dmg reduction

+9 Manteu+raydric

Variant shoes

undercast clip(planning to swap with my Bradium ring once i get another phen card

cat hand +mantis

working on getting a +9 hbp for more nuetral dmg resistance it helps a lot.

now if only guard didnt bug mobs when trying to use OB with it on =/

Edited by BoyAtlas, 02 December 2014 - 07:55 AM.

#4 kasshin

kasshin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3686 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:13 AM

Inspiration definitely isn't worth it most of the time these days.

Usually for the last points I recommend getting battle chant, using RG points into a Paladin skill.

#5 PervySageMarty

PervySageMarty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3959 posts
  • LocationUnderground like a wild potato

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:55 PM

You can Opt to pick up Spear Cannon. Mind you though it is hard to use unlike most other RG skills in the fact you must position yourself from the mobs at a perfect compass point, that is, you must be exactly in a straight line with the mobs you want to hit with Spear Cannon, being even 1 cell off can cause the whole skill to completely miss. It is very tricky to get it right but with the right buffs and your stats it does heavy damage for a skill that hits all within a pathway of 3x11.

Edited by Marty5337, 02 December 2014 - 10:58 PM.

#6 SaintMichael

SaintMichael

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHeaven

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:09 AM

The skill setups for a Bruiser Royal Guard look like this:

1.Spear Cannon + Vanishing Point + Earth Drive + Shield Press + Genesis Ray with Imperial spear, spear cannon(the weapon), long horn, imperial shield, and giant shield 

or

2.Overbrand + Moonslasher + Exceed Break with Hunting spear, Battle hook, Long horn, Rosa shield, Tournament shield

Inspiration is worth it as long as you know how to recharge it using exp boots, spare card as well as bounty board quests, and your definitely going to want Moyu's gear setup with your rideword hat. Also I'd get 2 hell poodle cards or snowier cards depending on what setup you choose and start using meat/ice cream instead of potions. Throwing Royal Guard skills points into paladin skill points is a sin never do it, paladin skills aren't worth it, in fact no second job class skills are worth it over 3rd.

Also Moyu I can lend you one of my spare pirate's folly till you buy your own if you'd like.

Edited by SaintMichael, 03 December 2014 - 06:21 PM.

#7 MoyuZ777

MoyuZ777

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2081 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:27 AM

SaintMichael that would be great man. That would help me make a better decision, wether to buy that or rideword. What's your name ingame?

#8 SaintMichael

SaintMichael

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHeaven

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:27 PM

My in game name is SaintMichaelG add me :P.

#9 BoyAtlas

BoyAtlas

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:30 PM

I dont think ill be able to tolerate using cannon spear tbh i forgot about the positioning thing

#10 SSkeith

SSkeith

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • Server:Chaos Server

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:31 AM

I think earth deleter card only worth it when you train in very mobby map and able to bring down the monsters in one or two shot, else the natural sp recovery will be the better choice. Priority a WPH or Rudolf hat over your +9HBP is better, with RG huge HP pool spamming potion to stay alive is much better than the reduction from provide from HBP.

Overbrand + Shield spell 1 + Vanguard Force + Endure is enough for most of the PVM (Ti, Scaraba etc. etc) Inspiration is a skill for PVP or MVP, take it when you're reaching lvl150.

Expert archer will give more damage to spear cannon and Fighting Spirit will give more damage to Overbrand, personally I think Overbrand is a better PVM skill

#11 SaintMichael

SaintMichael

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHeaven

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:01 AM

lmao witches pumpkin hat and Rudolf head band were made for nukers, such as warlocks and sorcerers because they don't have the STR to carry meat and the fact that leech head gear doesn't work with their skills.  I can tell you from experience full leech gear is by far superior to all of the gears that you just mentioned. If you still don't believe I can show you since I'm currently mob farming Vanberks non-stop for 2-3 hours at a time, using only meat, and I'm wearing exp boots at the same time so I'm taking 20% extra damage. Heroic back pack is only good if you have an incubus pet otherwise not worth it for a royal guard.

Overbrand doesn't have the range that spear cannon has which is 11 cells the whole targeting thing comes with practice, both are good skills but honestly for pvm you have so many more choices using spear cannon instead of overbrand. For example farming in Abbey is not a problem for a spear cannon user since you can hit those annoying range units at the same time as the melee and not knock them back into another mob. 

#12 PervySageMarty

PervySageMarty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3959 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:22 PM

I do agree though, Overbrand does have the most uses near end game where most dungeons, Such as scaraba hall are full of small tight corridors perfect to make all 3 hits of Overbrand 100% of the time without any real need to position your mob.

#13 BoyAtlas

BoyAtlas

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:58 PM

I thought EA was good for increasing the 2nd hit of overbrand? I was also told hbp was bis at +9 because of all the stats..(+atk 10% dmg reduc aspd inc ect ect) if thats not bis for RG what would u recomend? Also i found Ob to be good only because if timed right youd barely get hit because of the knockback. What about earthdrive and moonslasher and vanishing point? Wouldnt ea be an overal better enchNt over fs? My highest upgraded weapon is my imp spear but i have all the other ones too long horn battlehook hunter spear

Edited by BoyAtlas, 04 December 2014 - 01:31 PM.

#14 PervySageMarty

PervySageMarty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3959 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:43 PM

EA only effects the second hit from OB and the whole of Vanishing Point. Fighting Spirit will effect the whole of OB damage and Moonslasher, I however believe it only effects your weapons portion of ATK that is contributed to Earthdrive, not the entire formula.

#15 SaintMichael

SaintMichael

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHeaven

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:38 PM

I thought EA was good for increasing the 2nd hit of overbrand? I was also told hbp was bis at +9 because of all the stats..(+atk 10% dmg reduc aspd inc ect ect) if thats not bis for RG what would u recomend? Also i found Ob to be good only because if timed right youd barely get hit because of the knockback. What about earthdrive and moonslasher and vanishing point? Wouldnt ea be an overal better enchNt over fs? My highest upgraded weapon is my imp spear but i have all the other ones too long horn battlehook hunter spear

Sustain is the primary focus for PVM, the main reason for this is because your fighting an enemy that infinitely respawns. Therefore ATK and DEF are secondary to leech ability, the gear for the Overbrand build was listed above, but I can provide you the setups again if you'd like. So yeah HBP is a good garment but only if you substitute the nyd's garb with an incubus pet, otherwise your sp will suffer considerably.

Yes that's why Overbrand is both good and bad for pvm, because of the knock back affect which is good against melee monsters, however will actually cause more trouble when fighting a ranged monster with a high HP pool. For example Ragged Zombie, which is what I was trying to get across in my previous post. Also spear cannon can be used at any range unlike overbrand, so farming in scarab dungeon isn't actually a problem for a spear cannon user, just run up and use it point blank. That being said an overbrand user will have trouble in abbey and other areas and instances with certain ranged mobs, I know I've tried.

Moonslasher scales with the level of Overbrand learned, so OB goes with MS. Mine does just over 10K with a +4 malicious battle hook and shield spell 1 and I'm only 137/38.

Vanishing point is obviously really good with imperial spear, and so is spear cannon. Also notice that both of these skills are ranged attacks so expert archer increases both of these skills unlike overbrand(even if it boosts the second attack it's really not that great compared to fighting spirit).

Earth drive is effected by shield weight, so giant shield is the best shield to use with it, however that being said imperial shield is also a good choice since it's pretty heavy and increases shield press at the same time. Also imperial spear + imperial shield just so happen to go together, so SC, VP, ED, and SP are all apart of the same skill build. 

#16 SSkeith

SSkeith

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:19 PM

lmao witches pumpkin hat and Rudolf head band were made for nukers, such as warlocks and sorcerers because they don't have the STR to carry meat and the fact that leech head gear doesn't work with their skills.  I can tell you from experience full leech gear is by far superior to all of the gears that you just mentioned. If you still don't believe I can show you since I'm currently mob farming Vanberks non-stop for 2-3 hours at a time, using only meat, and I'm wearing exp boots at the same time so I'm taking 20% extra damage. Heroic back pack is only good if you have an incubus pet otherwise not worth it for a royal guard.

Overbrand doesn't have the range that spear cannon has which is 11 cells the whole targeting thing comes with practice, both are good skills but honestly for pvm you have so many more choices using spear cannon instead of overbrand. For example farming in Abbey is not a problem for a spear cannon user since you can hit those annoying range units at the same time as the melee and not knock them back into another mob. 

Spear cannon have the range advantage but the knockback effect of OB can constant keep melee monsters from reaching you and give you a small window time to pot/fly wing when something wrong, after all it depend on how you play.

Rely on the leech gears to is possible to survive through the early low and mid ti map easily, but definitely not for the higher level map like high ti map or scaraba hall, with my reduction gears (+9 ray HBP, +7 big foot immune shield in scarab hall) my 55k HP still vanish in just 2-3second if i not pay attention. Weight is never a problem for RG, buying wph or rudolf is to reduce the potion cost, we can't take down the monsters in one shot and need to tank lot damage, switching the wph and the leech gear is a good way to keep your HP ans SP up

#17 SaintMichael

SaintMichael

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHeaven

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:34 AM

Spear cannon have the range advantage but the knockback effect of OB can constant keep melee monsters from reaching you and give you a small window time to pot/fly wing when something wrong, after all it depend on how you play.

Rely on the leech gears to is possible to survive through the early low and mid ti map easily, but definitely not for the higher level map like high ti map or scaraba hall, with my reduction gears (+9 ray HBP, +7 big foot immune shield in scarab hall) my 55k HP still vanish in just 2-3second if i not pay attention. Weight is never a problem for RG, buying wph or rudolf is to reduce the potion cost, we can't take down the monsters in one shot and need to tank lot damage, switching the wph and the leech gear is a good way to keep your HP ans SP up

You clearly didn't read my other posts because I clearly stated that the knock back from OB isn't good against high HP pool ranged monsters. Fly wings? Bro I use a creamy card, and have never had a problem.

No that's just your opinion, because the fact is you can use leech gear with specialized gear such as temporal str boots, or mora gloves and still have infinite sp and almost infinite HP.

Yeah exactly weights not an issue so why are you using carrots instead of meat or ice cream lol.

No your royal guard can't take out scarabas in one shot because your a meat shield, like seriously 55k HP how much vit do you have?

My Royal Guard on the other hand can two shot scarabas with blaze endow + shield spell 1 + spear quicken, using a +4 hunting spear and I'm only 137/38. I'll be able to one shot them probably by level 145, with a plus 4-7 weapon, but I plan on farming Agavs which is a way harder mob and gives more rewards, which I can also two shot right now ;).

#18 kasshin

kasshin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3686 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:22 AM

Pumpkins are way cheaper than ice cream and meat, and lighter too.

Nobody sane ever levels off of monsters that have a long range (5 cells+), unless you have Eddgas. Even then, probably not, there's lots of non-ranged options available.

You need 3-4 hunter fly cards and good damage to completely avoid using pots (assuming your mob is a decent size). RG weapons don't have that many slots. So you might as well get used to using pots or a cheap healing booster variant anyways. It's also a good skill to have since it'll carry on to other classes who can't leech back HP (Magic classes) or need their card slots for all the damage they can get (Cart Cannon).

#19 SaintMichael

SaintMichael

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHeaven

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:36 AM

weights not an issue for a royal guard, it costs about 1 mil for 30000 meat and about 6 mil for 30000 icecream which isn't that expensive at all, both of these healing items heal way more than carrots or pumpkins(which are for the mage class) and can be used with leech gear.

Once again read my other posts before you comment because my example was Ragged Zombie, which is one out of many.

Bro you can't replace healing items period, even with 4 hunter fly cards due to the random number generator, hence why I said "near infinite". 525 meat lasts me 2-3 hours of non-stop grinding while wearing exp boots, which makes me take 20% extra damage, I've also made about 200 mil in 2 weeks from just leveling and picking up my loot.    

#20 kasshin

kasshin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3686 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:21 PM

Read my post, I said that nobody levels off ranged monsters specifically because they are ranged. Obviously you want to level off low range monsters so they mob together nicely and quickly.

It's not up to you to say whether pumpkins and carrots are for mage classes. I think pumpkins heal the same as ice cream last time I tested too.

It's true that with current inflation that the prices of these consumables are really insignificant compared to 2-3 years ago, but some people still like to save money where they can.

Also, sometimes some classes really need to use a phen and can't use an orleans. You need both accessory slots for ice cream / meat.

#21 MoyuZ777

MoyuZ777

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2081 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:26 PM

Saint Michael we gotta get together in game for you to show me how to properly use my Royal Guard. I am willing to stat and skill reset since I already got OB. But if spear cannon is better then I'll go with that. OB is too expensive sp wise.

I have been turning my Alchemist into Biochemist since I found it super hard to properly pvm in a sustained fashion with my Royal Guard.

#22 SaintMichael

SaintMichael

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHeaven

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:42 PM

I'm in game right now Moyu on IRO chaos PM my name or give me your in-game name and I'll message you ;).

That's all your opinion Kasshin, which I don't really care about so come back to me when you have some facts to share, good day sir.  

#23 MoyuZ777

MoyuZ777

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2081 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:33 PM

I'm in game right now Moyu on IRO chaos PM my name or give me your in-game name and I'll message you  ;).

That's all your opinion Kasshin, which I don't really care about so come back to me when you have some facts to share, good day sir.  

I am at work but hopefully you will be online tonight when I get home :)

#24 SSkeith

SSkeith

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:52 PM

You clearly didn't read my other posts because I clearly stated that the knock back from OB isn't good against high HP pool ranged monsters. Fly wings? Bro I use a creamy card, and have never had a problem.

No that's just your opinion, because the fact is you can use leech gear with specialized gear such as temporal str boots, or mora gloves and still have infinite sp and almost infinite HP.

Yeah exactly weights not an issue so why are you using carrots instead of meat or ice cream lol.

No your royal guard can't take out scarabas in one shot because your a meat shield, like seriously 55k HP how much vit do you have?

My Royal Guard on the other hand can two shot scarabas with blaze endow + shield spell 1 + spear quicken, using a +4 hunting spear and I'm only 137/38. I'll be able to one shot them probably by level 145, with a plus 4-7 weapon, but I plan on farming Agavs which is a way harder mob and gives more rewards, which I can also two shot right now  ;).

You obviously didn't read my reply too, I stated that choosing spear cannon or OB depend on how you play, S.Cannon can fight range monster well at the same time OB can fight melee monsters ways better than S.Cannon. Like you love use spear cannon to kill ragged zombie and farm in agavs map, and I like to use OB grind in scarab hall or abyss lake.

I'm using +9vana helm and swap with WPH and I never have HP or SP problem too. The difference is I choose WPH as my cheap potion and free up my accessory slot for other card, and you choose to use meat/ice cream with the cost of one accessory slot. That's why I suggest to buy a rudolf hat (pretty cheap right now) and use swap strategy to save up a accessory slot, because even with your leech gears you still need to use potion. (meat,ice cream,pumpkin,carrot actually they don't make much difference in term of saving money )

Yeah exactly weights not an issue so why are you using carrots instead of meat or ice cream lol

Reduce the potion cost as stated in my previous reply. I can carry 1200 pumpkins every time i refill which only cost me 18k zeny. (now the rudolf hat can give you a free increase agi too)

My Royal Guard on the other hand can two shot scarabas with blaze endow + shield spell 1 + spear quicken, using a +4 hunting spear and I'm only 137/38. I'll be able to one shot them probably by level 145, with a plus 4-7 weapon, but I plan on farming Agavs which is a way harder mob and gives more rewards, which I can also two shot right now

Shield spell1 + force vanguard +9 Brocca FS10 + blaze endow + variant shoes(temporal is not in game at my time)

stat are 100str 90Vit 90Dex

and yet it still took me 2OB to kill the scarab, and seriously I would like to know how you one shot a 60k HP monsters with one spear cannon, and I don't think even with Temporal STR + 120 base str and +7 hunter fly hunting spear can make you one shot them. It took me more than one week from lvl130 to lvl150 and only cost me the blaze endow and pumpkins. 

Edited by SSkeith, 05 December 2014 - 10:58 PM.

#25 SaintMichael

SaintMichael

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHeaven

Posted 06 December 2014 - 11:10 AM

I'm not using spear cannon bro, I'm using Overbrand as well because I prefer melee over range and I don't plan on MVPing. Yeah and I'm saying that Spear cannon is superior because it can be used in areas that a overbrand user would have trouble in, yeah sure your play style may be the reason why you use OB over SC, but that still doesn't change the fact that's superior to OB when it comes to PVM.

If you need to swap in order to heal while mobbing then your not mobbing correctly because you should be healing at the same time, also if your just using a vanargand then you must be wasting money on strawberries and your HP leech is definitely not in the same league as mine. Also good luck trying to kill an enemy who uses critical wounds, because that setups definitely not going to be very effective when your healing 20% less than normal.

If you can't afford one-six mil every month then I think you need to start picking up your loot, seriously I don't have to stock up on meat for a whole month because my sustain is that high.

Well first of all your not using spear quicken level 10 which increases your OB damage, secondly your STR is way to low you should have 130 STR after job bonuses by level 175, 120 STR for level 150, and also I hate to tell you this but Brocca doesn't work on scarab lol, it only does 25% extra damage to neutral monsters, scaraba's are earth property. Even against neutral property Brocca isn't that great at all because it only has a measly 100 ATK, try getting a hunting spear. Mora str gloves should be on your server which give you more attack power based off the total amount of str that you have, temporal str boots give you an extra 50 ATK, and can be enchanted(not on your server fair enough). So once again your Royal Guard can't 1 shot scaraba because you made your build wrong, don't assume you have the best build.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users