Icon on computer Toolbar that lets you know of PMs - Proposals and Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Icon on computer Toolbar that lets you know of PMs

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Frah

Frah

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos RO1 Odin RO2

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:44 AM

Think it would be possible to have a icon appear on the computer's toolbar where the battery & volume icons are, that alerts you when you have a PM from a player in-game. Because lets face it, trying to get ahold of someone selling something you want to negotiate for, is a pain in the posterior because they are either afk or dual-clienting on a window covering the one that gets the PM.

Edited by Frah, 16 December 2014 - 05:46 AM.

#2 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:38 AM

probably not feasible. you can turn on ping notifications (i.e. sound) in game when someone enters your chat i believe. i believe the command is /ting or something in order to just have that sound enabled and everything else off.

#3 Perezoso15

Perezoso15

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1041 posts
  • LocationGironland~
  • Server:Valk->Chaos

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:49 AM

I'd like it if you could enable a "chat window" to be created along the ones you already have when someone pms you without it being in the annoying pop up form.

#4 Tofu

Tofu

Too Legit To Quit

• Public Security Section 9
  • 3287 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:09 AM

/tingonly

#5 Sizzleboom

Sizzleboom

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:34 AM

Imagine if a smartphone app existed to that allowed you to keep track of your in-game messages while you go get a drink or go for a jog, ha ha. Now that would be awesome.

#6 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:02 PM

sometimes a break from the game is good D:

#7 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:08 PM

Other games have specific chat system public APIs that allow 3rd party folks to make such additions like for instance a chat app for LoL on your Android phone.  RO doesn't exactly have such a thing, it would have to be created, something similar to IRC.  It would be a rather heavy lift and WPs IT staff is not always receptive to such things, speaking from experience.  It would have to have some thing probably on the firewall level looking for PMs or Guildchat and relaying that to said chat service that would then send to the app client.

#8 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:06 PM

sounds good in theory until you get 50 messages from gold seller sites every other minute

#9 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:28 PM

There are several programs out there that can hook into the client and parse that stuff. A certain illegal program already has this exact functionality with a community plugin.

Wouldn't be a stretch.

#10 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:01 AM

RCX can relay chat to your irc client and vice versa, so this shouldn't be a stretch tbh

#11 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:30 PM

I don't wanna give the spammers another tool to annoy people with tbh

#12 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:37 PM

we should have a whitelist system; everyone is blocked by default unless you allow them to talk to you. sure it's inconvenient to start out with until you add the people you want to talk to but it stops spam forever (unless someone who was whitelisted was hacked. then you can just remove them temporarily).

Edited by Necrohealiac, 18 December 2014 - 02:37 PM.

#13 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:24 PM

I don't wanna give the spammers another tool to annoy people with tbh

what ifffff you took something like an open source im client and made a plugin so that it would send and receive through that but only work if you have them added on the im thing.

#14 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:40 PM

it would send and receive through that but only work if you have them added on the im thing.

sounds a lot like a whitelist

#15 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

Well they wouldn't technically be receiving from the character the player is on, but from their IM account.

#16 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:54 PM

No but the server still would be and tbh the second concern I'd have is attacks.

#17 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:12 PM

it could be on a different server no?

#18 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:39 PM

If its going to be official (i.e. done by WP or Section 9), its gotta rely on something that relays.

Character 1 with Client 1 sends PM to Character 2 with Client 2

Client 1 -> Game Server -> Client 2

If its an IM system it would be:

Client 1 (concurrently or not IM Client) -> Game Server (concurrently) -> 3rd Party Relay Server -> Client 2  (concurrently or not IM Client) IM Client

I think tbh also, the IM system, we can't link into current accounts for the game due to security concerns and privacy so it would be similar to ROPD, make an account, link your account to it and there ya go.

It would still be subject to spammers make no mistake.  As the example I listed before, LoL suffers from this problem too even with its strict buddy list system...you get random buddy requests who spam you if you accept it and defriend you with scam links.

Not saying its not possible just legitimate concerns and also kinda a heavy lift for a few people.  I wouldn't be in favor of Open Source either due to security concerns.

Edited by Inubashiri, 18 December 2014 - 05:40 PM.

#19 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:08 PM

Oh ya I was thinking something similar to spark.

It's be

Client 1 > plugin > relay to IM client 1 (this means its not connected to your game acc, you'd be parsing the packet) > IM client 1 to IM Server > IM server > IM client 2

And the chat would display in game as normal. So you'd just be intercepting it and displaying it a different way.

I hope that explains what I'm thinking, but you're the feasibility expert. I'm just thinking of the way *certain* programs work with RO already.

But I guess there is the open source security issue to consider =/

Edited by Xellie, 18 December 2014 - 06:09 PM.

#20 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:41 PM

I was thinking a custom, super barebones IRC client created in a general purpose langauge like perl (already has basic IRC functionality so why not) that hooks into your RO client when you have it running.

It would intercept and interpret packets and spit pub, party, guild and PM chats out, ignoring anything else besides the prereqs that RO looks for like names and IDs when sending chats. Sending chats of your own via the app would be super simple, a matter of chat type, user id and ign (utilises id and name of logged character), and the message.

It's possible to check your friends in this manner, so the client could automatically add the contents of your character's friends list to a global list in the IRC app, allowing players an index of ALL their friends over multiple characters. Could also link to a server on WP's end (independent of the client hook) for p2p connectivity and a "general chat" area should a player wish to share their IRC persona with you or talk beyond the game. Whether the IRC would be functional enough to message players inside the game without requiring the client active (via really simple client emulation or a gateway w/log&pass) is up to the discretion of WP I guess.

It's possible to expand the in-game chat using this method of communication by providing some QoL fixes, such as automatically parsing long messages into multiple messages to cater for RO's character limit for example, though the IRC would need to have flood control to prevent players from muting themselves, and possibly a message queue.

A certain program has most of this functionality already  :shss:

Edited by AlmrOfAtlas, 18 December 2014 - 06:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users