Class advice for Solo Player PvP/PvM - New Player Zone and General Guides - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Class advice for Solo Player PvP/PvM

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Hardc0re

Hardc0re

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 437 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:48 AM

Hello there.

Tried to play RO, quit lots of times, trying to play it again. My account got hacked and I lost everything (all my gears and zeny). It's not that huge of a problem because my highest level character was level 50 anyways, and I don't mind starting from zero.

I'm trying to find a class to play and stick to it. My favorite class in the game (looks and gameplay) is the Gunslinsger, but since Gravity doesn't know how to balance a MMORPG, I'm not playing one because being lvl 99 in a lvl 175 meta doesn't seem that great.

About me:

- I'm mostly a solo player.

- I like to be self-sufficient. I hate things like dual clienting or needing to be in a party. I can play in parties from time to time but I don't want to feel obliged to it.

- I REALLY like PvP (I'm not interested in WoE tho, I hate massive PvP, but enjoy low-scale fights.). I'd probably spent most of my time in higher levels on PvP room.

- I like PvM/MvP/farming.

- I won't be dual-clienting at all, except for vending.

- I don't plan to have alts, just want to play one single class and that's it (gotta have time to play other games as well).

- I'm not spending real money on the game.

- I like to have interesting skills/gameplay, instead of, say, just spam Dragon Breath forever.

That said, I'm thorn between Royal Guard, Sorcerer, Mechanic, Shadow Chaser and Sura.

Which one do you think it would be the best fit for me?

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Hardc0re, 22 December 2014 - 12:08 PM.

#2 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:01 PM

suras would be the best out of all of them. you need really good gears as a chaser to compete in pvm and it looks like kRO is determined to destroy the mechanic class.

#3 Tofu

Tofu

Too Legit To Quit

• Public Security Section 9
  • 3287 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:16 PM

Sura. For PvM and general farming, you'll now have Flash Combo. It's basically an infinitely more efficient Tiger Cannon (costs 65 sp, instead of 30% hp and 15% sp).

For MVPing, you can alternate between a manually casted tiger cannon combo, and flash combo and do some serious damage, and it's a million times more interesting than just spamming gfist repeatedly until loot drops.

foeRSXa.png
lnwdm1m.png

Self bless, agi, and food buffs. What else do you really need? The only thing I'd ever dual client something for is Full Chemical Protection, for WoE or soloing bios.
Suras have a ton of tools at their disposal, and nothing really that can be spammed (like dragon breath).

I've filled up my entire hotkey bar, and I use every single one in WoE, and I still find myself wanting more :/. Maybe if we had a 5th and 6th row, I'd be able to utilize everything I would have liked to. I don't even hotkey ANY of my consumable buffs.

Chasers are a ton of fun in pvp/woe, but they're really lacking everywhere else. You're not gonna output enough damage to solo most high level content as a chaser. Mechanics might be a bit better than chasers in that regard, but the fact that madogear is removed upon death means you can't do instances unless you know you will never die. They also don't really do much in pvp, as they're more geared toward WoE and larger team battles.

#4 seaechiowai

seaechiowai

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 904 posts
  • LocationIrvine, SoCal USA
  • Server:iRO Renewal Chaos

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:40 AM

Robot here, we are not a killer class unless you really bank on suicide destruction. Which, by the way, people pretty much have figured out the counters like vines, manholes, Smokie clip, cicada, divest etc. Our jobs in woe mounts less with offense and more onto emp defense with stealth field, constant infrared scan in emp room and barricades rooms, statues inflict with ice launcher and quad ailments weapon, sneaking in pile bunker to royal guards, and front and back slide trolling. BTW, Neural barrier is extremely situational and should only be done on your recaller's command, since it nulls allies' skills also. I would personally rate sura > chaser > axe mech > robot in terms of pvp ability, and plead adding rune knight or sorcerer to your consideration all of which are better than mech in terms of offense, or archbishop which is better for defense.

Mechanic is a kind of class one plays if they wanna do little bit of everything(but don't excell at anything) but don't want to roll many characters IMO. That, or people who like just like robots like me lol

#5 Hardc0re

Hardc0re

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:44 AM

I added Kagerou, Royal Guard and Sorcerer to my original list.

I used Janeway event to put all classes I found interesting on lvl99.

So, I'd like to repeat the same question of my original post, but adding more classes:

That said, I'm thorn between Royal Guard, Sorcerer, Mechanic, Shadow Chaser and Sura.

Which one do you think it would be the best fit for me?

Since Kagerous cannot reach level 175, I guess they would be pretty far behind in MvP/PvP right?

Edited by Hardc0re, 22 December 2014 - 12:08 PM.

#6 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:46 AM

facekiller has enjoyed a decent amount of success killing mvps with a kagerou at 150; no mvps have been buffed with the 175 patch as far as i know. pvp is another thing altogether since the level difference between a 150 and a 175 will bypass any normal status immunities you would otherwise enjoy.

#7 Hardc0re

Hardc0re

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:07 PM

pvp is another thing altogether since the level difference between a 150 and a 175 will bypass any normal status immunities you would otherwise enjoy.

Oh yeah the statuses and level difference, I forgot about that... Yeah, I'm cutting Kagerou of the list =/

#8 MoyuZ777

MoyuZ777

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2081 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:30 PM

I wouldn't recommend Royal Guard. I got one and I run out of SP too fast to be able to farm non-stop. From your list I would probably go with a Mechanic or Sura.

Sura being the less boring one because of all the skill combinations. You gotta know how to play that class though. Lots of skills

I started with Royal Guard, Saw that SP was a problem. So I made a Genetic and I have been having tons of fun with it. I killed a few MVP's as Biochemist. Currently trying to gear him up.

Edited by MoyuZ777, 23 December 2014 - 01:32 PM.

#9 Havenn

Havenn

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6523 posts
  • LocationRagnarok Online

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:18 PM

Kagerou is also not viable to compete with most all classes when MVPing.

Soloist are best on:

GX

Genetic

RG

Sura

#10 Jupitel

Jupitel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • LocationProntera

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:19 PM

Gx

#11 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:45 PM

also my kagerou is a special build... 90% of the kagerou youll find playing today have very little clue about the class at all... i really wouldnt suggest Kagerou for anybody... youll build it wrong, get frustrated, get bored, and quit... go play one of the easier classes to master...

#12 Hardc0re

Hardc0re

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:34 PM

also my kagerou is a special build... 90% of the kagerou youll find playing today have very little clue about the class at all... i really wouldnt suggest Kagerou for anybody... youll build it wrong, get frustrated, get bored, and quit... go play one of the easier classes to master...

Well, it doesn't help that this game has the worst ammount of information I've ever seem in my life.

You would guess that a game that's 10+ years old would have a decent wiki and accurate formulas, but 99% of them doesn't even have the brackets in the right place, wich makes it a nightmare.

Also, the calculators don't have all of the skills (I never found a calc with "throw zeny" for instance) so you can't even figure out which skills does good damage and which ones don't.

So the best way to test skills/stats is by pratical experience, but this doesn't work so well in a game that if you put 1 wrong point in your stat build you're f'ked unless you spend real money or is goddamn rich, makes the whole experience even worse.

Edited by Hardc0re, 23 December 2014 - 01:36 PM.

#13 seaechiowai

seaechiowai

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:22 PM

So the best way to test skills/stats is by pratical experience, but this doesn't work so well in a game that if you put 1 wrong point in your stat build you're f'ked unless you spend real money or is goddamn rich, makes the whole experience even worse.

Only classic Loki is like that any more and Resets are plentiful. builds are simple in renewal, man. 90, 100, 120 are the magic numbers and you just tweak up and down from that based on your job bonus and gear. Loosen up a little. If you play MMORPGs to "win", you'll be bored after getting endgame gear in a month and leave. Not just this game, but pretty much any game.

#14 Hardc0re

Hardc0re

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:43 PM

Anyways, I spent the zeny on my Monk, I just rebirthed him, I'll be a Sura :)

#15 BlowInTheDark

BlowInTheDark

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • LocationComodo

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:04 PM

Can I MVP as a biochem with just eden gears on? I'm really into solo MVPing but have no means of getting good gears atm. Some advice on which homun to have would be good too. :D

#16 jsquishy

jsquishy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:41 PM

Gene: Best at Solo MVP

Sura: Solo select MVPs and good at PVP

GX: Best at Soloing instances

WL: Can only solo /sob in town

#17 seaechiowai

seaechiowai

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:43 PM

I can see guys like orc hero, gtb, mistress, phreeoni, Tao gunka, or even eddyga killable with mdef enchant focused eden gears at low levels if you continue to move and shoot as a biochem with kaahi buff, statues resistant mid headgear, high upgrade immune shield, hp and so increase pot, life potion, and foods. When I solo killed my first MVP(a phreeoni), my gear was Odin's Blessing set which was about as strong as eden gear.

#18 kasshin

kasshin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3686 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:48 AM

I can see guys like orc hero, gtb, mistress, phreeoni, Tao gunka, or even eddyga killable with mdef enchant focused eden gears at low levels if you continue to move and shoot as a biochem with kaahi buff, statues resistant mid headgear, high upgrade immune shield, hp and so increase pot, life potion, and foods. When I solo killed my first MVP(a phreeoni), my gear was Odin's Blessing set which was about as strong as eden gear.

Ermm... I'd think twice before following this advice. Not that it's necessarily bad, but it's just not mainstream. It's much easier to go the elemental armor route rather than going for MDEF. Kaahi isn't really used too much in general, especially not for a biochem. Just use regular pots and go with regular reduction gears like Alice Shield, Immune Garment, etc. Phreeoni is one of the easiest MVPs so you don't really need much gear for it. Mistress you really need wind resists of some kind. Tao Gunka you cannot use Kaahi with especially because of the SP drain.

#19 seaechiowai

seaechiowai

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:29 AM

You are right, it's not the most efficient way to do MVPs. The question was whether MVP hunt was possible with eden, not how best to kI'll one.

#20 seaechiowai

seaechiowai

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:33 AM

My post was a response to blow in dark's question. Sorry for butchering the name, my autocorrection sucks.

#21 kasshin

kasshin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3686 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:15 AM

Oh okay, pure eden gear is almost never recommended for MVPing except maybe as a "challenge". There are some cheap alternatives for almost anything. Cheap racial reduction cards instead of alice, vali's manteau for garment, some elemental armors are pretty cheap on their own, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users