Philosophical discussion about GTB, and who can actually use it - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Philosophical discussion about GTB, and who can actually use it

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:10 PM

I want to make a claim, that the only job who can effectively use the GTB these days, is the one job, almost no one plays.

Lets first subtract all the jobs that can't spare a hand to even equip a shield: Hunter, sins, MVP build Ninjas(if you're making a PvP or any pure build, you can use a shield, just not the MVP/aka hybrid), then all the jobs that don't need it.

RG/RK have super high MDEF, Super high HP, and they both love spamming skill, so GTB is nothing but a negative for them. Monks, they spam skills more the RKs do

Magic based jobs are already virtually immune to magic, plus they need their SP.

Now lets see, who doesn't need the SP/skill spam to fight, and actually has a spare hand to equip a shield?  SC that's who, that's really the only character who can really make full use of such, yet the Goldie card is still as desired as always, even with fewer, and fewer people playing SC.

Am I missing something here? All the popular jobs people play, would never warrant the use of a GTB, either because It's literally impossible or It's as unpractical as you can get on X job.

I find it funny, that the only job who can get real use out of the GTB card, is the job almost no one plays lol

Edited by Zoltor, 17 December 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#2 Tofu

Tofu

Too Legit To Quit

• Public Security Section 9
  • 3287 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:23 PM

GTB is mostly used for the dispel/debuff immunity, not the damage immunity. The increased sp cost is not a deterrence for most players, but rather an upkeep cost to use it. If someone has a 30bil+ shield that makes making zeny 100x more efficient, they can generally afford to use more blues.

#3 Gn1ydnu

Gn1ydnu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2077 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Server:Classic

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:26 PM

GTB is mostly used for the dispel/debuff immunity, not the damage immunity. The increased sp cost is not a deterrence for most players, but rather an upkeep cost to use it. If someone has a 30bil+ shield that makes making zeny 100x more efficient, they can generally afford to use more blues.

Very well said.

#4 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:32 PM

Fair enough, but even so, I can't help but think, if they're gonna wear a shield anyway, they would just be better off wearing a race shield, it would just be overall more useful in general. As for things like status effects, well there's better ways, and cheaper MVP cards to handle such.

Yea lol, that's true.

#5 Tofu

Tofu

Too Legit To Quit

• Public Security Section 9
  • 3287 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:41 PM

There are certain things you can't avoid without a gtb:

Dispel:
- removes mental strength; for certain MVPs like Randgris, losing MS can mean the whole party wipes.
- removes sacrifice; as long as your royal guard doesn't die, you can almost not die with a gtb on

Bloody Lust - Disables use of potions; in woe, under fire while sitting on top of a bloody lust usually means death
Manhole - in pvp, a lot of chasers used to just manhole + landmine + shadow form to kill you, and there was no way to avoid it, unless you just never got caught in a manhole

Crystalization - there are few ways to deal with it even without a gtb, but it's much easier to just not be crystalized, than to try to remove it after the fact

White Imprison - long term, instant cast disable

And the list goes on, but these are the ones I consider it most useful for.

And a racial shield is not always better, even if you are using it for the damage mitigation.

Bio4 has both demi-human and demon, so a race shield isn't the best. The next best would be ogretooth for the medium reduction. But with a gtb on, I only take occasionally 400-5000 damage per hit, opposed to constant 10ks from the scholars, on top of the already existing damage I'm taking. (not to mention I would be freezing constantly from frost diver).

#6 Omnipheles

Omnipheles

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1151 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:Chaos - Renewal

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:47 PM

Funny how no one mentioned Genes here and yet that card is an amazing MVPing tool. With it, you can easily dispatch MVPs you wouldn't even dream of soloing otherwise.

#7 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:48 PM

There are certain things you can't avoid without a gtb:

Dispel:
- removes mental strength; for certain MVPs like Randgris, losing MS can mean the whole party wipes.
- removes sacrifice; as long as your royal guard doesn't die, you can almost not die with a gtb on

Bloody Lust - Disables use of potions; in woe, under fire while sitting on top of a bloody lust usually means death
Manhole - in pvp, a lot of chasers used to just manhole + landmine + shadow form to kill you, and there was no way to avoid it, unless you just never got caught in a manhole

Crystalization - there are few ways to deal with it even without a gtb, but it's much easier to just not be crystalized, than to try to remove it after the fact

White Imprison - long term, instant cast disable

And the list goes on, but these are the ones I consider it most useful for.

And a racial shield is not always better, even if you are using it for the damage mitigation.

Bio4 has both demi-human and demon, so a race shield isn't the best. The next best would be ogretooth for the medium reduction. But with a gtb on, I only take occasionally 400-5000 damage per hit, opposed to constant 10ks from the scholars, on top of the already existing damage I'm taking. (not to mention I would be freezing constantly from frost diver).

I completely forgot Sac can be dispelled(such a dumb concept)

Oh, I could've sworn I heard that GTB can't protect against the new status effects? Well if it can stop the new status effects, that's pretty damn sweet.

#8 Omnipheles

Omnipheles

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1151 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:Chaos - Renewal

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:58 PM

Btw, GTB stops Earthquake.

#9 Havenn

Havenn

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6523 posts
  • LocationRagnarok Online

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:02 PM

Man......all these uninformed threads

But yea, I use it in Bio4 to solo as well for all the same reasons Tofu listed. An RK could do the same...

Edited by Havenn, 17 December 2014 - 01:17 PM.

#10 Havenn

Havenn

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6523 posts
  • LocationRagnarok Online

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:09 PM

Funny how no one mentioned Genes here and yet that card is an amazing MVPing tool. With it, you can easily dispatch MVPs you wouldn't even dream of soloing otherwise.

This I am not sure is true though, the only one I can think of that goes ez mode with it solo is satan morroc. Randgris, you need an alice to solo, Ifrit - alice to solo, beez - alice to solo

#11 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9782 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:18 PM

i always figured any class could use this card really... face it when youre using a shield youre in a defensive position not an offensive position... this is where gear switching would really come in...

#12 Zander

Zander

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2393 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:00 PM

Its convenient to have but not really neccesary as long as u have proper gear on the monster u r dealing with.

#13 Bronx

Bronx

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:27 AM

GTB makes you feel like god. More than any god item could ever make you feel. Every class can make use of it. Even my soon to be perma 99 high merchant is gonna run around with a GTB.

#14 KamiKali

KamiKali

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 5143 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:46 AM

S> 2 gtbs, +12 immune should of deaf and +9 valk shield of deaf. Pm me : )

#15 MillyBear

MillyBear

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1997 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:38 AM

Lol kami ;)

#16 Bronx

Bronx

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:32 AM

People who don't own GTB say: it's not that good, it's over priced, it has limited use.

People who own GTB say: This piece of gear has no substitute. No combination of other gears will give you the same feeling as wearing a GTB. It's irreplaceable.

Who are you going to listen to regarding Porches? People who actually own a Porche? Or windowshoppers?

#17 miliardo

miliardo

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1898 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:34 AM

People who don't own GTB say: it's not that good, it's over priced, it has limited use.

People who own GTB say: This piece of gear has no substitute. No combination of other gears will give you the same feeling as wearing a GTB. It's irreplaceable.

Who are you going to listen to regarding Porches? People who actually own a Porche? Or windowshoppers?

Great analogy gtb is one if best shields will allow for better pvm MVP and woe experience, but needs to be switched.

#18 miliardo

miliardo

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1898 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:37 AM

GTB makes you feel like god. More than any god item could ever make you feel. Every class can make use of it. Even my soon to be perma 99 high merchant is gonna run around with a GTB.

What class j feel gets really good use of it is a ninja in pvp omg dodge all physical attacks already/ with gtb no magic either opness activated. Really good too if just want to chill there too with no fear of dying.

#19 4782131221082418730

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2370 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:07 PM

i will not wear GTB to solo :)

#20 Deafice

Deafice

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:34 PM

Pure Trap Rangers. Really, I think that's the only class and build that could benefit from GTB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users