Returning Player: Semi-educated Newbie Questions about Fighter/Cleric - Class Discussion - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Returning Player: Semi-educated Newbie Questions about Fighter/Cleric

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wrekzz

wrekzz

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:38 AM

Hello all,

I'm a returning player and have been catching up on all of the changes the game has endured since I last played.  In an effort to do my due diligence in research before spamming redundant questions on the forums, I've learned quite a lot about the updated state of the game. And let me just say before I begin that this forum and game community have always been very welcoming, and reading through all of the recent posts it seems like nothing at all has changed. I'm excited to be back.

Before making this post, I thought it'd be wise to jump into the game and poke around for a bit to see if any of my questions would answer themselves. I read that it's invaluable to have your own 230 FS, and so I set out to make a fighter/fs leveling team. I made some new characters, a solider with an FS muse, and with a round of generously donated high level buffs, they both made it to level 30 or so. 

So I've made it this far, but I have a few questions that I could not discern the answers to on the forums about how exactly I should proceed. 

1. What is the best fighter to use for leveling a Fighter/Cleric combo for a fresh account(s)?

My instincts from scouring these forums is that it will be a champion or mage, or perhaps bourg. I'm sure you can do this with any fighter type, but I'm looking for some feedback as to what would be the most efficient. As a fresh start, I've got no high level characters or bank to fallback on. I chose champ because I thought it was the safest, most well rounded bet. Am I off base here? I'm not committed to my soldier whatsoever, if a mage, bourg, or other would be more beneficial when the leveling starts to get tough and really slow down, I'd rather make the change now.

2. Assuming I use a Champion, what weapon type is ideal for pvm leveling?

From years past, the rule of thumb I remember was that spear aoe was king. However, after catching up on some of the more recent posts, it seems Feurer has proven that swords and even axes may be favored. and the spear ship has sailed. I'm unsure how to interpret these posts. Are they stating that for endgame purposes, through proper itemization and skills/spec its possible for some diversity? Or is it saying that Sword Aoe has surpassed spear, and  Axe playstyle (with some funding) will make leveling a breeze? Essentially for newbies and returning players in my situation, what would be the best route to take for my champion? (I'm not asking for a full build here, just some direction. I know there are plenty of other resources on the soldier specific class discussion, just asking here because other players choosing their class may find this information useful.) If you suggested a class other than Champion, what spec/type of that class would you recommend and why? 

3. Are there any "must haves" from the item mall that will make this process significantly less grueling?  

This question explains itself. Just as I remembered, when benefitting from a 230 FS Clerics buffs, leveling is a breeze. But when those buffs wear off, its not always practical to run back to town and spam for more. (This is why I am making an FS to begin with :D.) I recall seeing some weapons and skillbooks, and even boosts, but I'm far too unfamiliar with any of this to even consider making any purchases. I'm far from having money burning a hole in my pocket, but if there is some item that is really a "no-brainer" pickup, I'd at least like to know of its existence. 

4. Is having a "farmer" necessary, and is it something I should be concerned about now?

I've read its good to have a "farmer." There has been plenty of debate (perhaps debate isn't the best word, but back-and-forth over time) on the dealer class forums as to what the best farmer is. I'm unsure if I should level a bourg/dealer first to fund my other characters, or take a more leveling-efficient route to get my fighter/cleric to max level, etc.  I'm really just looking for some veteran feedback here. Which class (and type) makes the best farmer, and should I level that first?

Thanks in advance for the responses, I look forward to reading your feedback.

#2 jerremy

jerremy

Knight Representative

• Members
  • 6045 posts
  • LocationYour closet.
  • Playing:ROSE Online
  • Server:Currently unknown

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:01 AM

Hello all,

I'm a returning player and have been catching up on all of the changes the game has endured since I last played.  In an effort to do my due diligence in research before spamming redundant questions on the forums, I've learned quite a lot about the updated state of the game. And let me just say before I begin that this forum and game community have always been very welcoming, and reading through all of the recent posts it seems like nothing at all has changed. I'm excited to be back.

Before making this post, I thought it'd be wise to jump into the game and poke around for a bit to see if any of my questions would answer themselves. I read that it's invaluable to have your own 230 FS, and so I set out to make a fighter/fs leveling team. I made some new characters, a solider with an FS muse, and with a round of generously donated high level buffs, they both made it to level 30 or so. 

So I've made it this far, but I have a few questions that I could not discern the answers to on the forums about how exactly I should proceed. 

1. What is the best fighter to use for leveling a Fighter/Cleric combo for a fresh account(s)?

My instincts from scouring these forums is that it will be a champion or mage, or perhaps bourg. I'm sure you can do this with any fighter type, but I'm looking for some feedback as to what would be the most efficient. As a fresh start, I've got no high level characters or bank to fallback on. I chose champ because I thought it was the safest, most well rounded bet. Am I off base here? I'm not committed to my soldier whatsoever, if a mage, bourg, or other would be more beneficial when the leveling starts to get tough and really slow down, I'd rather make the change now.

2. Assuming I use a Champion, what weapon type is ideal for pvm leveling?

From years past, the rule of thumb I remember was that spear aoe was king. However, after catching up on some of the more recent posts, it seems Feurer has proven that swords and even axes may be favored. and the spear ship has sailed. I'm unsure how to interpret these posts. Are they stating that for endgame purposes, through proper itemization and skills/spec its possible for some diversity? Or is it saying that Sword Aoe has surpassed spear, and  Axe playstyle (with some funding) will make leveling a breeze? Essentially for newbies and returning players in my situation, what would be the best route to take for my champion? (I'm not asking for a full build here, just some direction. I know there are plenty of other resources on the soldier specific class discussion, just asking here because other players choosing their class may find this information useful.) If you suggested a class other than Champion, what spec/type of that class would you recommend and why? 

3. Are there any "must haves" from the item mall that will make this process significantly less grueling?  

This question explains itself. Just as I remembered, when benefitting from a 230 FS Clerics buffs, leveling is a breeze. But when those buffs wear off, its not always practical to run back to town and spam for more. (This is why I am making an FS to begin with :D.) I recall seeing some weapons and skillbooks, and even boosts, but I'm far too unfamiliar with any of this to even consider making any purchases. I'm far from having money burning a hole in my pocket, but if there is some item that is really a "no-brainer" pickup, I'd at least like to know of its existence. 

4. Is having a "farmer" necessary, and is it something I should be concerned about now?

I've read its good to have a "farmer." There has been plenty of debate (perhaps debate isn't the best word, but back-and-forth over time) on the dealer class forums as to what the best farmer is. I'm unsure if I should level a bourg/dealer first to fund my other characters, or take a more leveling-efficient route to get my fighter/cleric to max level, etc.  I'm really just looking for some veteran feedback here. Which class (and type) makes the best farmer, and should I level that first?

Thanks in advance for the responses, I look forward to reading your feedback.

1. Champion (or knight) are indeed the best choices for a fighter/cleric combo when you're just starting. Mages and bourgs are the stronger AoE class, but they need proper support to be used effectively (particularly due to being squishy they need a good cleric to heal them if they want to stay alive). The soldier classes have their high base HP/Def to be slightly more ideal for new (or returning players with nothing) players.

2. Spear is still the dedicated AoE class, but when it comes to raw AoE damage, they get surpassed by swords (and axes).  I would actually leave out axes here for new players, since you would need the unique PvM dedicated skills to even get enough AoE's as an axe, and those would cost a total of 12k valor points or 1500 IM (so not recommended). I would go with swords simply because for the playstyle of a dualclienting newbie, swords are simpler to use: They have higher skill power AoE's than spear but the CD is longer. While spears have to continuously spam their six AoE's in order to maximise damage output, swords use the four they have and they'll be on CD for a while, allowing you to switch to cleric and heal up, while not losing much damage in the process.

3. Not necessarily anything mandatory, but if you have money to spare (and feel like supporting the game), you could buy some IM points and sell them in game for game currency (aka zulies). I usually don't like this way of earning in game currency in any game, but having a bit of starting currency can really help you in your endeavors.

4. Is it necessary? No. Useful? Hell yes. That said, the thing with a farmer is that in order to really get much out of farming, you need to be actually capable of killing the mobs at a relevant speed. Something which isn't always so easy for new players. I would stick to levelling fighter/cleric right now, and after that you can go for a farmer (or you can use your fighter as a farmer, champions are decently good at it) if you want to. The best farmer in terms of pure farming is probably the bourg still thanks to increased drop chance, but for newer players I would recommend a champion or a dual raider ( due to the ability to massively slow down bosses' attack speed) since they can do OK without needing a lot of equipment.

#3 IAfjiBa

IAfjiBa

Cleric Representative/Community Member of the Month for June

• Members
  • 1451 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:11 AM

Hello and welcome back!

I have made a list here on the forums. The list tells what have changed thru the years in Rose. I hope it helps :)

http://forums.warppo...1-welcome-back/

Feel free to pm me anytime :)

#4 HoneyBunz

HoneyBunz

ROSE Online Community Member for July

• Members
  • 1428 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Playing:ROSE Online

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:31 PM

Welcome back! You've already gotten some expert answers to your questions.  For the record, my friend and I used a spear champ to level our main characters and we loved the tankiness... and the many aoe's ofc

As for IM, we did buy a few items right from the start because we decided to invest in our cleric. One was the Wand of Wonder- it has no requirements other than level 20 and it has mp consumption 30%. Our cleric never fights so we gemmed the wand with a B7 and used it until lvl 2xx when we finally had enough int to use the Legendary Amazing Brush. Another thing was the Servant's set. The body part is one of the items in the game that has the most base charm. We also gemmed that with a B7 and she still wears it today at lvl 230. Of course, this was all before the introduction of enchanted scrolls so now you could also slap a +30 charm substat on there instead of the gem. There is a super guide with info on all high base charm items here  http://forums.warppo...s-v528-updated/

The other thing from the IM that's handy tho not necessary are the skills that combine 2 buffs into 1. It's also possible to get those skill books in-game from players shops. There are 12 buffs in total and they will fill a skill bar The rituals (or tomes in the IM) will mean that you only need 6 spaces on the skill bar. You will also be able to buff your party faster, which can be important.  It's just something to keep in mind.

Not sure which server you're on but if it's Draconis, feel free to poke me for buffs. Ign's are HoneyBuns and Sulky. If I'm at the pc I'd be glad to help you.

Hope you have fun playing again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users