Decreasing Mall and F2P Gap Proposals - Page 2 - Archive - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Decreasing Mall and F2P Gap Proposals

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#26 XRosebloodX

XRosebloodX

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 365 posts
  • Playing:Requiem
  • Server:Nova

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:56 PM

We'll even put it in pictures for you. Few mins!

#27 Apollonia93

Apollonia93

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:58 PM

Trying to imagine this in practice...

will have examples in place in about 5-10 min

#28 XRosebloodX

XRosebloodX

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:39 PM

Lied on time. Ran into speed bump with rolling sets. Would up final form lol. Details, details.

But this is the main idea. 

So this is the 72 set currently with minimal reinforcement, then new base, then new +7. 

GjaQCRf.jpgLj0ypTP.jpgrnG8BEZ.jpg

Spoiler

Edited by XRosebloodX, 05 January 2015 - 08:43 PM.

#29 XRosebloodX

XRosebloodX

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:42 PM

Speed bump:

UmGaafv.jpgFxTEug3.jpg

Using the current formula, while it seems fair in theory actually makes rolled sets better than the current ones in the end. Needs played with later possibly.

Edited by XRosebloodX, 05 January 2015 - 07:51 PM.

#30 VanillaNinja

VanillaNinja

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 5426 posts
  • LocationHome
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:is unstable

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:22 AM

well done mister VMod my post was a pure truth and sicne youre gravity slave u have to protect them :)

#31 Helium

Helium

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 1472 posts
  • LocationGravity Interactive, Buena Park, California
  • Server:Trifri

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:47 AM

Sorry I vanished before the maintenance but I had things to do. May have fixed the server stability issue, but cannot be certain yet. Found a char where an int should have been and changed it proper. Anyway, I do not want you to think I am not going to come back to the topic for some actual discussion. I will just have to do it when from home I get there. With maintenance complete it is time to leave the office.

Speed bump:

UmGaafv.jpgFxTEug3.jpg

Using the current formula, while it seems fair in theory actually makes rolled sets better than the current ones in the end. Needs played with later possibly.

#32 XRosebloodX

XRosebloodX

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:13 AM

Sorry I vanished before the maintenance but I had things to do. May have fixed the server stability issue, but cannot be certain yet. Found a char where an int should have been and changed it proper. Anyway, I do not want you to think I am not going to come back to the topic for some actual discussion. I will just have to do it when from home I get there. With maintenance complete it is time to leave the office.

Haha, with how long it took to get things done with speed bumps/interruptions, we were not expecting you to be there with maint imminent. Appreciate your update and looking forward to criticism and possibilities.

#33 XRosebloodX

XRosebloodX

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:53 AM

UPDATED:
The original formula for rolled sets has been changed so that the +30 is the same as current.

9P3uRGH.jpg

Edited by XRosebloodX, 06 January 2015 - 10:36 AM.

#34 LordXan

LordXan

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:33 PM

Easiest way to achieve this: Make max reinf +20

#35 Kazara

Kazara

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3057 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:38 PM

Yeah, but they care too much of Mall players lol..

#36 LordXan

LordXan

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:08 PM

Yeah, but they care too much of Mall players lol..

Agree to that bro :D
Better to care for 20 peeps that use malls, than to bring new temperions.
That's our overlords tactic, and what the hell, it seems that its working :D

#37 Apollonia93

Apollonia93

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:14 PM

no this is not easier to achieve

once again you screw over every single player that has already made +30 gear.

#38 Kazara

Kazara

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3057 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:42 PM

Yeah, this system will decrease the difference from Mall and f2p players but it will never bring new players.
Ppl play only totally free game, to the word "p2w" they run and unistall game in less than a second.
That's the why this game won't be populated like other, especially with a community that cares so much of Mall players.
Make a f2p server is the only way to fix every problem and bring new ppl!
But devs will never do it, they know if they open a server like that it would be full while the "p2w" server would be dead.

Edited by Kazara, 06 January 2015 - 01:43 PM.

#39 DarkRhythms

DarkRhythms

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:31 PM

once again you screw over every single player that has already made +30 gear.

Oh YOU  :heh:

#40 Apollonia93

Apollonia93

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:19 PM

Yeah, this system will decrease the difference from Mall and f2p players but it will never bring new players.
Ppl play only totally free game, to the word "p2w" they run and unistall game in less than a second.
That's the why this game won't be populated like other, especially with a community that cares so much of Mall players.
Make a f2p server is the only way to fix every problem and bring new ppl!
But devs will never do it, they know if they open a server like that it would be full while the "p2w" server would be dead.

Well, it is a 7? 8? year old game at this point. Asking for the population to increase drastically is near impossible.

F2P server would be interesting, however based off what im seeing, the reason they dont offer it on this server is because they do not have the manpower to support current servers AND a F2P server.

The perm forge combined with this decrease in difference between +0 and +30 would allow newer players easier time and possibly increase the population.

However without proper advertising, the only was more people can join is through word of mouth, and currently (last 4years? 5year?) there is only disappointment. 

Oh YOU  :heh:

lacks constructive criticism.

#41 Cleffy

Cleffy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2377 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:34 PM

Server crash when a variable is declared a char instead of int? That seems... odd. Depending on the purpose it may increase load on the server instead of decreasing it. For instance if the char is used to determine a state for a packet, then declaring it an int instead could increase bandwidth consumption when its unnecessary.

#42 BloodyHalo

BloodyHalo

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1027 posts
  • LocationHollow Bastion
  • Server:Long Live Hammerine

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:52 PM

Server crash when a variable is declared a char instead of int? That seems... odd. Depending on the purpose it may increase load on the server instead of decreasing it. For instance if the char is used to determine a state for a packet, then declaring it an int instead could increase bandwidth consumption when its unnecessary.

But if they did this wrong waaaay back at the beginning them I'm guessing it could have flopped something else along the way.  

On the other hand while this might be the best option for players so that f2p and mall spenders are closer together, it would change how much people within the company are paid and so on.  Req is a game that in the last few years has become heavy on the malls while content has been tweaked but not overly developed.  If thy were to cut down on the amount of mall items that people were able to pay for that would mean less money in their pocket.  Which would basically come down to one thing.  Because unfortunately some people WANT that large gap and will pay out the arse to get it on every single character they have.  If there is not huge difference they will not waste time buying more mall points.

1) Are people willing to cut their salaries in the short run in hopes that in the long run they will make more profit if more people/players come to the game (Probably not).  

2)  Are we trying to make as much as we can before the game closes (No idea).

3)  Is there a way to make this game, or any game from little funding (Doubtful).

Unfortunately with the Korean server closing and jobs been shuffled around it looks like, though req is a fun game, there is not enough in the budget to make a humongous change at this time.Helium/Alteris and the dev team are a limited number of people and without hiring more or paying more it would be a little bit taxing on the current crew to make the changes, especially not knowing whether the game would profit in the future.  So even though the changes above could be 100% perfect it could still take money that they don't have or personnel (I don't know the team and will not pretend to) that they cannot hire.  

Once a game, or a coorporation starts making tons of money one way, it is very hard to go back to the old way. 

I know this sounds bad but once a model has been developed, followed, and money is coming in, the little people almost always get the short end of the stick.  If they do not then the people paying don't feel the need to pay.  If the game had a different base or was marketed differently then perhaps yes free players would not have that huge gap in differences, but again that takes more and more staff/advertising.

My motto so far for the business world (In a very large percentage of people's minds)  is that "someone has to suffer".  

Edited by BloodyHalo, 06 January 2015 - 05:11 PM.

#43 Cleffy

Cleffy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2377 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:08 PM

Yea, that's why I think its odd. Its not an issue that happened much before 2013, and typically only occurs during events when rates are increased. Something tells me server stability is not a variable declaration as that would be something that crashes almost immediately. There are a few cases where it can be an issue, but like I said something that will show up within seconds instead of hours.

The fault is more than likely a logic error, insufficient hardware, or programming a 32-bit server software. A good instance of this would be a hacked way of adding an XP bonus. Like lets say it calculates final XP one bonus at a time when its earned. So every monster kill it does 4-5 XP calculations per character. If this is the case than its entirely possible that adding 2 more XP calculations on top of this is burdening the server too much resulting in a crash. A more efficient way would be to use a uint16 on each character data for their final XP multiplier. This is calculated at login, and when an event starts or ends.

My motto in business is a little different, "You earn money by selling what people want." To me it makes no sense to go mall centric. An MMO is a big investment that only pans out in 4~5 years with a steady paying population. A mall-centric approach goes against this and attempts a large cash grab early at the cost of the games longevity. The problem with this approach is only a minority will spend lavishly and that minority will typically only play up to a couple months. So in essence they are giving up stability for a quick buck, and a stable approach will typically earn more money in the long run than a heavy cash shop title. To me it makes more sense to expect a reasonable $20 a month from a customer in subscription costs and cash shop.

The problem I find with this suggestion is simple. It does not lower the cost of playing the game competitively. The free player is still inferior to the +30 player. It still costs the same to get to +30. So unless you address forge issues, its not an issue that can be fixed. I can see why Helium is so excited about the idea, it changes nothing of importance.

Edited by Cleffy, 06 January 2015 - 05:32 PM.

#44 BloodyHalo

BloodyHalo

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1027 posts
  • LocationHollow Bastion

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:14 PM

Yea, that's why I think its odd. Its not an issue that happened much before 2013, and typically only occurs during events when rates are increased. Something tells me server stability is not a variable declaration as that would be something that crashes almost immediately. There are a few cases where it can be an issue, but like I said something that will show up within seconds instead of hours.

The fault is more than likely a logic error, insufficient hardware, or programming a 32-bit server software. A good instance of this would be a hacked way of adding an XP bonus. Like lets say it calculates final XP one bonus at a time when its earned. So every monster kill it does 4-5 XP calculations per character. If this is the case than its entirely possible that adding 2 more XP calculations on top of this is burdening the server too much resulting in a crash. An easier way would be for the server to simply have an array that holds final XP modifiers depending on what XP effects the player has and does a reference then multiply during each kill.

They should just copy paste the event programs aside and see what is creating the anomaly then.  Which they've probably already done a thousand and one times.  Maybe it is that lonely ; forgotten out there in the blue.  Hard to say without seeing the script in front of me.  But I see what you're saying if it was not declared properly that should have been and instant (and obvious) crash.  Probably why the trees keep disappearing because they keep taking out something that works/makes something else not work and reinstating it because its not the main problem.  I would lends them my Asus but I loves it :)

Edited by BloodyHalo, 06 January 2015 - 05:24 PM.

#45 explicid17

explicid17

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1170 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:23 PM

im guessing the lag is from the xmas trees, everytime i get the buff i have to relog because its so laggy

#46 BloodyHalo

BloodyHalo

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1027 posts
  • LocationHollow Bastion

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:29 PM

im guessing the lag is from the xmas trees, everytime i get the buff i have to relog because its so laggy

Well the xmas trees are probably not a 100% finished program.  Someone probably thought they sounded cool, wrote something up for it, and then they implemented it.  Then once the cards came out along with the other bonuses, they probably started to cause problems down the line, and since the trees are the only visible thing we see its the first thing we assume is wrong (Since we can't physiccaly see  oursleves getting more exp or lant).  And also since they are the #1 thing that almost every character is interacting with then there's no telling what affect it has on the player/server.  From our side at least.  I don't have a huge rig to do all that mess with and I think my schools lab wouldn't be to happy with me looking up stuff for an "adult" game ^^

Could be something completely different, I'm sure Helium's team is much better at this than I am.

Edited by BloodyHalo, 06 January 2015 - 05:31 PM.

#47 Cleffy

Cleffy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2377 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:33 PM

That was a good joke. I am sure Helium's team is much worse than you at this.

Remember Helium and Alterius are not developers. They are 'Idea Men'. They don't contribute to the programming or content development aside from directing other people what to do. Considering the quality of work we have seen out of them for the past year, I think its safe to say their programmers and artists are amateurs who are getting paid a professional check. I can probably get a single modder from the Nexus who can push this game further than their entire team.

Edited by Cleffy, 06 January 2015 - 05:37 PM.

#48 BloodyHalo

BloodyHalo

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1027 posts
  • LocationHollow Bastion

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:41 PM

That was a good joke. I am sure Helium's team is much worse than you at this.

Remember Helium and Alterius are not developers. They are 'Idea Men'. They don't contribute to the programming or content development aside from directing other people what to do. Considering the quality of work we have seen out of them for the past year, I think its safe to say their programmers and artists are amateurs who are getting paid a professional check. I can probably get a single modder from the Nexus who can push this game further than their entire team.

Gopher is is the real deal.  

#49 explicid17

explicid17

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1170 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:03 PM

Helium how about you make the 5v5 map allow only theme battle armor from strongest or make its own vendor that sells armor with +0 stats so, the gameplay is faster paced, and 10 minute matches. Instead of 40 minute huge empty theme battle maps where everyone has 25k hp.

#50 Kazara

Kazara

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3057 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:58 AM

any progress?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users