[Renewal Client] Releasing mouse focus from Ragexe.exe? - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

[Renewal Client] Releasing mouse focus from Ragexe.exe?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GammaBreaker

GammaBreaker

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:21 AM

A problem I've been having intermittently for a while now is that the game appears to "latch" on to the Windows mouse cursor occasionally.  This means that even while tabbed out, the mouse will have deteriorated tracking precision and movement, as if it's being forced to operate at the game's FPS.  While in many areas this isn't an issue, it is while doing something like vending in Prontera where the crowded screen causes FPS to plummet to 30 or less.  So as long as I'm vending, any work I do in the OS is hampered by poor mouse tracking.  This gets even worse when trying to run two clients for both of my vends.

To date, I've tried:

• Opening another game that latches onto the cursor (Skyrim is notorious for this).
  • Opening menus or text boxes in the game that grab the cursor.
  • Opening OS (Windows 7) elements that (should) grab the cursor.
  • Closing & Opening the game multiple times.

Nothing seems to work consistently.  Even the issue isn't persistent.  Sometimes the mouse is liberated on tab out, sometimes it frees itself after clicking around, other times it will not be unlatched for the duration.  It happens with equal frequency on all three of my Windows 7 PCs.  One laptop (Intel/nVidia Optimus), and two desktops (one NV graphics, one AMD graphics).

Has anyone got a trick to "free" the cursor from the client?  It's becoming pretty frustrating after over a year of this behavior.

#2 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:01 AM

You're not running fullscreen are you? RO generally performs much worse in full screen mode. 

Have you tried twiddling the mouse freedom option in setup?

I have *not* observed this problem on any of the systems (on XP win7, 8.1 and 10 tech preview) I run RO on except in cases where the game is hogging resources to the point that it is lagging the system in general, or is on a laptop and is overheating it (due to it loading the system heavily), causing the system to slow the processor way down in order to reduce heat generation, or I'm trying to run way the hell too many clients.. 

#3 GammaBreaker

GammaBreaker

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:42 AM

I've tried both of the mouse options to no avail, and pretty much always play in windowed mode.  Once in a while I'll turn on fullscreen and be reminded of why I don't use it.  The PCs all have enough to run ~4 clients without hiccups, placing one on each physical core (a first gen i7, X5460, and third gen i5).

Even running multiple clients, it's intermittent.  If I apply a process limiter to the clients, and one of them hasn't released the mouse, it slows to a crawl.  When they both have it and the limiter is applied, the mouse is nearly inoperable.

I thought perhaps it was a minor known issue, but it seems to just be unique to me...and every PC I install the game on.  Was hoping there might be an identified way to either release the cursor or stop it from being latched onto in the first place.

Thank you for the reply, though.

#4 GammaBreaker

GammaBreaker

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:35 PM

As an update, if anyone else wonders how to "free" the mouse from the game...

...changing maps.  That appears to be it.  I tab out turing a map change, the mouse hiccups, and is no longer hindered by the game as long as the client remains open.  As I was often just logging in to vend, I didn't change maps, at least not on the second client.  Hence it being intermittent, depending on what I'd done beforehand, if anything.

I can now log in, vend, apply the Process Limiter to the game, and do whatever with the computer without the game chewing on the CPU or stuttering my cursor.

#5 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:40 PM

I'd love to know what's changing under the hood that's causing this bizzaro behavior. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users