• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 belenoi

belenoi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1055 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:55 AM

Seriously, we had spam always, but now it's 1st time in a half of a year it's so crazy. You can't just ignore it when messages appear every 5 seconds. I can't even count, how many times spam appeared at the worst possible moment. I really think you need to change how the chat works, how fast can you type, how often can same words be repeated, etc. Well anyway, ​on behalf of all community I ask for some actions to be taken against current spam situations. 

Also, you should really think about implementing in-game function for reporting players. I don't think tickets are effective, when we have such insane amount of bots and spammers.

Edited by belenoi, 23 January 2015 - 01:55 AM.

#2 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:56 AM

Apparently Inu's working on an in-game reporting function.

As for the spam, I hear you. It's awful and I hate having to exall whenever I'm in town.

#3 teitoklien

teitoklien

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:56 AM

Turn off alarm / chat window function and or /exall?

#4 Demeris

Demeris

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2213 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:27 AM

You know, sometimes I wonder if players ever think about the resources available for the GMs.

1)They are dependent on kRO for majority of their updates

2)The iRO team based in Southern California is small (when compared to the number of players/games they have to also take care of).

3)Ragnarok is an old game. Solutions provided by other games isn't going to work the same way for RO.

If you want to find a solution, apply for a job and provide the GM team your brilliant solution. They are doing their best (the mail spam was a perfect example of GMs doing work to eradicate the problem).

Leave them do their job. The GMs know that ingame SPAM is a problem and it's not like this problem hasn't been around for the last 13 years.

Edited by Demeris, 23 January 2015 - 02:30 AM.

#5 armourer84

armourer84

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:41 AM

Are there too much Alarm in Clock Tower?

#6 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:All

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:45 AM

New version of no spam is still in the works. ren and I have lives too, it's strictly volunteer.

We have put in some more aggressive measures the past few days.

#7 belenoi

belenoi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1055 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:23 AM

You know, sometimes I wonder if players ever think about the resources available for the GMs.

1)They are dependent on kRO for majority of their updates

2)The iRO team based in Southern California is small (when compared to the number of players/games they have to also take care of).

3)Ragnarok is an old game. Solutions provided by other games isn't going to work the same way for RO.

If you want to find a solution, apply for a job and provide the GM team your brilliant solution. They are doing their best (the mail spam was a perfect example of GMs doing work to eradicate the problem).

Leave them do their job. The GMs know that ingame SPAM is a problem and it's not like this problem hasn't been around for the last 13 years.

Am I posting about it every day? I'm playing for 1.5 years and if I created this topic - it means it really got me.

So this problem exists for 13 years, they know about it, it's still there and that's ok, lol?

And that's a really stupid thing to say "if you complain, then go become a GM yourself". No, it's my right to complain as a consumer. If you're ok with any bugs, abuses, etc. Well, that's your problem.

New version of no spam is still in the works. ren and I have lives too, it's strictly volunteer.

We have put in some more aggressive measures the past few days.

Oh, no offense to you at all. You're did great job fighting spam last time. Though I don't understand why should volunteers be doing this when it's a serious problem developers should be solving. 

#8 renouille

renouille

Too Legit To Quit

• Public Security Section 9
  • 2448 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Server:retired

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:40 AM

All of the PM spam messages I've seen are mostly the same. You should be able to add the common part to nospam.cfg.

#9 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:49 AM

Those spammer accounts will now be banned much faster with some infrastructure we put in and some tools I fixed for the GMs to make mass banning faster.

#10 Astralslayer

Astralslayer

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • LocationFar Far away~~
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:27 AM

Level requierement for whispers in RO, lv job 10 (or so). 90% of the bots spamming are in that ship when you just create a char, at least make things harder for them.

Or let's just raid Naughty Website facebook page with the same spam that they do. RO isn't the only game that they dare to spam

#11 Kersya

Kersya

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 538 posts
  • LocationQuébec, Canada

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:02 AM

Upping the level requirement wouldnt fix much judging by the tons of 99 bots, it would only take a few more hours before they can spam us to death...and yeah its not only in RO, its a problem in every damn free mmo. Guess you can ex them till your block list is full then hope the issues is fixed by then or exall.

Somehow the bots annoy me more than the spammers lol cant sell gold if they dont bot farm stuff, though by now i suppose they're filthy rich XD

#12 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:46 AM

Already explored the level requirement, not do-able.

#13 teitoklien

teitoklien

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:58 AM

Already explored the level requirement, not do-able.

It is infact do-able, a few quick src edits i have done it before.

#14 Demeris

Demeris

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2213 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:06 AM

Am I posting about it every day? I'm playing for 1.5 years and if I created this topic - it means it really got me.

So this problem exists for 13 years, they know about it, it's still there and that's ok, lol?

And that's a really stupid thing to say "if you complain, then go become a GM yourself". No, it's my right to complain as a consumer. If you're ok with any bugs, abuses, etc. Well, that's your problem.

Oh, no offense to you at all. You're did great job fighting spam last time. Though I don't understand why should volunteers be doing this when it's a serious problem developers should be solving. 

I'm not okay with the spamming problem either. But for any game, the harder you fight against the spammers, the more aggressive they'll spam back.

They use to spam in pront public chat, and most players learn to avoid pront because of that. Then the GMs/Volunteers added in some counter-measures and they got smarter by learning how to PM people. Then recently the spam bots learn how to spam in the mailing system and now that's becoming potential threat to players.

It's not easy, the problem of in-game spam exists for every game. Even World of Warcraft can't completely get rid of their spam bot friend request.

Lastly, RO is a potential f2p game for many players. Most solutions that involves paying with real money for something (i.e. 10 day trial, 1 time VIP etc), will hinder the f2p experience.

You can keep complaining, that's totally your choice. I just think it's silly to complain about a problem that pretty sure everyone knows about.

Edited by Demeris, 23 January 2015 - 10:07 AM.

#15 Althes

Althes

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1376 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:Both

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:34 AM

But for any game, the harder you fight against the spammers, the more aggressive they'll spam back.

To be honest, I find it more silly to this opinion.

But I don't mean it is wrong. This might be true, but to openly speak it out, makes me feel weird.

Also, you know, when you're into something, sometimes you can't see the whole picture. 

p/s: I mean GM.

Edited by Althes, 23 January 2015 - 10:36 AM.

#16 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:05 AM

You have the source code?

#17 needmorezleep

needmorezleep

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1013 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:07 AM

nothing bad could possibly happen from admitting on an official server that you have the aegis source code

#18 cory

cory

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1719 posts
  • LocationSt. Pete, FL

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:48 AM

Not sure if WP team still actively tries to prosecute people who still have any proprietary business secrets, but if I was you I would assume a very low profile after that dumb mistake of a post.

edit 1:  nvm  lmao

edit 2:  i think he is refering to eathena or some bootleg thinking its the exact same AEGIS thingamajig.

edit3: i think im in a state of denial.....  if the person really does have the real aegis, all I can say is GODSPEED MAN GODSPEED.

Edited by cory, 23 January 2015 - 12:00 PM.

#19 teitoklien

teitoklien

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:34 PM

nothing bad could possibly happen from admitting on an official server that you have the aegis source code

No, but i do a little source development on rAthena's dev team.

They honestly can't be that different though seeing as eAthena was an emulation of Aegis.

Also anyone who wants the Aegis Source code can easily obtain it, it has been leaked a few times.

Although i can't vouch for how up to date it will be.

Edited by teitoklien, 23 January 2015 - 08:35 PM.

#20 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:20 PM

Take the pserver dev stuff to PMs por favor. 

#21 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:07 PM

Or how about off this forum all together.

#22 Sizzleboom

Sizzleboom

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:10 AM

Or how about we off this forum all together.

ftfy

#23 OniichanN

OniichanN

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1812 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:22 AM

^ no, the forums are fun. >:|

#24 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:33 AM

Or how about off this forum all together.

We can't just ignore them.

Embracing their existence, coming to terms with the fact that they are a (if not *the*) major competitor and learning from their successes and failures will only help iRO in the long run, especially to Classic, being a server empowered to make the kinds of sweeping changes necessary to draw people onto the official side of RO, which is at present heavily stigmatised in the general RO community for being a laggy, bot-infested junkheap of awkward implementations run by a money-grubbing detardeurus.

#25 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:39 PM

We can't just ignore them.

Embracing their existence, coming to terms with the fact that they are a (if not *the*) major competitor and learning from their successes and failures will only help iRO in the long run, especially to Classic, being a server empowered to make the kinds of sweeping changes necessary to draw people onto the official side of RO, which is at present heavily stigmatised in the general RO community for being a laggy, bot-infested junkheap of awkward implementations run by a money-grubbing detardeurus.

Whatever improvements we want to make to the game has to go through kRO. Even if we wanted to implement pserver features, our hands are tied until we can convince kRO to go with it. The red tape is what separates us from pservers and why we can't do what we want to do to make the game better. That is the reality of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users