What brought you to RO2? - Ragnarok 2 Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

What brought you to RO2?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Poll: What brought you to RO2? (101 member(s) have cast votes)

What was the reason you first started playing RO2?

1. I played RO (62 votes [48.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.06%

2. I like anime style MMOs (26 votes [20.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.16%

3. I had a friend who played (19 votes [14.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.73%

4. I play as many MMOs as I can find (5 votes [3.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.88%

5. Other (please comment) (17 votes [13.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 CMMaridah

CMMaridah

Community Management Bunny

• Retired
  • 715 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:14 AM

I'm curious about what originally brought you in to RO2! I know a lot of our players are also RO1 players, but I'm sure there are some interesting stories here.

For my own part, I saw some info about the game circulating on facebook. I think it was in open beta when I signed up with an account I can't even remember the log in for. My reason for trying it was the anime look (I'm an otaku for those who don't know) and wanting to play another MMO since I'd taken a break with the ones I had been playing. Work and life took over though so I really didn't get into playing it until coming to work for WarpPortal as a mobile CM. I was playing it on my lunch breaks nearly every day (Which seemed to amuse a panda.) I'd eat fast and log in and ask a panda a ton of questions.

So what's your story? What made you download and log in  :questionmark:

#2 Shinyusuke

Shinyusuke

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2064 posts
  • LocationItaly
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:54 PM

I wanted to try an MMO so I looked for a f2p MMO, I found this newly released game back in june 2013 and i liked the style so i decided to try it. It was a really nice quest based game, it was fun to read all them dummy quests  :p_laugh:  and was nice how every new gear gained was a big improvement and that every help was good to pass the dungeon and a good way to make friends. At the same time I liked a lot that i could level up alone without a party and just doing quest, it was nice the job levelling, I'm a blacksmit in many other (not online) games.  I admit the first time i had to kill a flip i feel so bad  D: on the other hand the first time a raid asked my help to go in CoA was the best moment in my gamelife (I tought to not be enough geared to survive)  :p_cry: and i joined my first CoA party and we managed to kill the first 2 bosses. It was so nice my effort were rewarded the 2 bosses gave us tokens so we knew the next time we would be ready and no one raged to not complete the raid instead we all went back trying to refine our abilities. After that AoV came and the rest is story :p_err:

#3 okami18

okami18

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Server:Odin/Freyja

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:16 PM

I found the game on Steam back in May 2013 when it was released on there and decided to try it. Ragnarok Online II was my very first MMORPG.  :p_smile:

The game was awesome and challenging back then. :p_laugh:  Just the bosses in the solo dungeons alone was kinda hard to defeat, for example The Golden Thiefbug in Prontera Culvert. My first character was a Magician who later became a Sorcerer down the road. Well, I never actually stayed on that Sorcerer for long, abandoned it at 47 after running out of quests. Decided to make a Hybrid Priest, my first level 50. It was troubling for me to party with anyone on Arena and Baphomet Gardens because my HP wasn't high enough. :p_sad:  Had 5 characters before AoV came out in December. Now I have.... 18 characters, I think.  :hmm:

#4 5318130516144610857

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:33 PM

I was looking for a free mmorpg  about the time when RO2 was being released in WP and saw an annoucement on Steam back in june 2013. I tried it, liked it and stayed ever since.

#5 RenatoKolokoy

RenatoKolokoy

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:35 PM

I started playing this game around December 2012, one of first players on SEA server. I thought it was same as RO1 so I decided to try. Well, there were some differences but those are not hindrance for me to play RO2. I liked a lot on this game when we were trying to finish the raid dungeons for 3-6 hours and you'll get nothing (because i'm one of those players that are not lucky when dicing tokens  :pif: ) except for self fulfillment. The most memorable experienced for us is when we finished the ML 21-30 grind for 3 days without server EXP boost time.

Then time has come that SEA reach it's end and I thought that it's time for me to rest as well but I realized that there's a good community out here so I decided to give it a try. And now, I'm just a casual player waiting for any interesting events and updates  :p_laugh:

Edited by RenatoKolokoy, 28 January 2015 - 02:54 PM.

#6 faku1810

faku1810

Too Legit To Quit

• RO2 Community Representative
  • 1084 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:39 PM

Well, there isn't much of a story here, but I didn't even know Ragnarok 2 (or even 1) existed until a friend (current leader of my guild) told me she had started a game that she was enjoying a lot but couldn't really "play" because she was the shy type. Hard to find parties that way.

Originally she had asked someone else to play with her, but due to real life stuff that wasn't possible; so I said "hey, i have nothing to do and I need a new game to keep myself busy", so here I am :D

I actually got so hooked in the game myself that I leveled up faster than her >.< (sorry aru!) but that ended up working well since I could help her create our guild and recruit more players that are now our friends. And I'm really enjoying the game despite some things that make you rage sometimes lol.

Too bad exams are driving most my guildies away atm, but I'm still having fun with the events and talking to players from other guilds   :P

*Self Promoting Time*

If you're a social player and want to have fun join us in our social alliance, we'll help you find a guild to suit your needs if you don't have one yet. If you're a guild leader and want to join, that's better yet! Just check my signature to join SA-Odin.

Edited by faku1810, 28 January 2015 - 01:41 PM.

#7 donchan

donchan

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:24 PM

I actually have always hated MMOs cause they never end and I preferred the sense of closure you get when you beat a traditional RPG lol. Right out of high school when I would go to LANs often all my friends played RO1 all the time... Half of the time I was sooooo bored cause I was the only one that didn't play RO1 due to my lack of interest in MMOs.  There were times I considered trying RO1, but my friends been playing for a while, so I always ended up just giving up cause too lazy to catch up >.<  Long story short, when RO2 came out ALL of my friends started playing it including my best friend.  I decided to start the game too, so if I enjoyed the game and want to play it I won't be so behind this time haha.  Almost two years later, here I am, the only one of my friends that play this game anymore. My first MMO, and I am completely obsessed with this game <3 :3

#8 CMMaridah

CMMaridah

• Retired
  • 715 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:27 PM

I admit the first time i had to kill a flip i feel so bad  D: 

LOL tell me about it. I felt bad for the first few days because everything I had to kill was cute.

Had 5 characters before AoV came out in December. Now I have.... 18 characters, I think.  :hmm:

Wow. I don't know if I've ever had that many alts, but hey, it makes you well suited for helping all those players on the steam community (I see you there constantly being helpful.)  :thx:

Then time has come that SEA reach it's end and I thought that it's time for me to rest as well but I realized that there's a good community out here so I decided to give it a try.

Glad you stuck with the game and made the jump to our servers!

Well, there isn't much of a story here, but I didn't even know Ragnarok 2 (or even 1) existed until a friend (current leader of my guild) told me she had started a game that she was enjoying a lot but couldn't really "play" because she was the shy type. Hard to find parties that way.

The MMO that hooked me the most was one I had not heard of, but had a friend ask me to join so she could get a friend referral bonus LOL She just wanted me to sit in game with her for a day or two. She quit a few weeks later and I played for years on and off like a junkie. The power of friends, man. It can get you addicted!

#9 RyuMax02

RyuMax02

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • LocationMALAYSIA
  • Server:FREYJA

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:50 PM

they finally do a poll in the forum  :p_laugh: ..a good topic to start too..

I finish my student life most of the time without internet,,it's always a dream of mine to play RO when i was a kid back then but my condition (money) is not a luxury..after finish study, got a stable income, i subscribe internet for my house and the first thing i do in downloading RO2,,can even said that the only reason i get an internet is to play MMORPG..after months of research before that..i stumbled upon RO2 and my childhood dream comes too life..no matter what people said,,i will keep playing RO2..

#10 PeachMilkTea

PeachMilkTea

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:40 PM

I started playing it because my boyfriend played it, and I wanted to try something out that he likes.

Then he quit the game shortly after I began playing because he got bored of it, and I've been playing ever since @v@ I have about.. 15 characters o-o

I swear I'm not obsessed  :boogie: 

#11 Innocenzio

Innocenzio

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:06 PM

I started playing because:

1) I liked the game graphics, I'm not always into fancy lifelike cutting edge models.

2) I saw a warrior - who doesn't like giant swords?

3) I was tired of paying $15 a month on another MMO to play all alone, now I save money...

4) Cosmetic costumes - easy way to customize yourself without (well used to be without) affecting gameplay so anyone could create a look different from everyone else.

5) I'm addicted to MMO's

#12 IANVARIVS

IANVARIVS

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:17 PM

I played Ragnarok Online, until... err, until recently... (Philippine Ragnarok Online players will know...)

I was able to play all the betas of this game from the Korean Version, til they later commercialized and then sadly, they closed.

After the announcement that the developer's home country's version is closing, I felt that game's future became unclear. I decided to go back to RO1 and have fun... but the local publishers..... meh...

Then I heard that iRO2 is opening its service, officially, for the country, so I tried playing again. At first I was quite bored, for I was doing all those things I already did on the Korean Server, and I didn't check out what was new after the Korean Service closed. (I was like, why those level 4 characters got like thousands of HP and I don't)

By accident, I met my fellow RO1 player who never told me that he was playing here too, so I did continue and now I have 5 characters (only one ML30 though LOL). During those times I felt that my spark for RO1 was gone. Mainly because of how did the local publisher ruin the game, which makes me utterly sad.

I stayed here because I felt at ease with how the game is being managed, how the customer support responds on time and with care, things I never had with pRO. I can tolerate bugs, as they are part of the game and besides, I'm not a PVP-oriented type of guy. I occasionally top-up my account to show my support. I barely spend money on virtual items, but then, those virtual items support the existence of the game.

#13 Axtar

Axtar

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:22 AM

Can't even really remember how I stumbled across RO2 - friend's FB post, maybe? I used to play RO1 until it became P2P, so nostalgia had me installing and recreating my original RO1 chara. The early months of RO2 was pretty tough, but fun - gosh, it used to be so hard to get into parties due to low HP. And all that strategy and planning to kill Baph/RM, I rather miss them.

#14 donthackme2

donthackme2

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 547 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:41 AM

I have always been fond of videogames especially RPGs ever since I was a kid and started playing MMOs way back when RO1 started(My first) and then on tried and played some others but there was one particular game that was close to my heart(even though I have abandoned my characters for such a long time like 8 years or so but I still manage to just log in and take a look around). That game became a part of my childhood to teenage years. And then just last year, the game was shut down and I felt so sad and I thought that I will truly miss my characters and by fate, RO2 NA opened it's doors to PH servers, and so..I sort of transferred my characters by having similar classes and same names as the ones on my previous game. It's been past 5 months since I played the game and I have 10 chars already and 3 max levels(not addicted). So far, this is the first time that I am very active in the community and sometimes think that I am too attached to the game and it might be very depressing in the future. Just getting the best out of the game at the moment.

Edited by donthackme2, 29 January 2015 - 04:44 AM.

#15 donthackme2

donthackme2

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 547 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:45 AM

Oh by the way, another thing is that RO2 has several similar features to that previous game that I loved.

#16 HokaHoka

HokaHoka

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:43 PM

At first I gotta say I shouldn't have touched any mmorpgs anymore. I used to be "clean" for like 3 months and then there was this guy who introduced a new mmorpg to us in dorm. It was Ragnarok 2. Well I played RO1 back when I was still young in high school but really it was because I personally enjoy playing games especially rpgs. I played 2, 3 mmorpgs (mostly because of friends) but I never stayed. 

When the happy-go-lucky guy brought RO2 in I was hyped. I started playing and I was hooked since then. It brought me on a nostalgia trip. I think this explains why the majority of voters picked the first choice.

Although I admit I used to take a break from this game, I came back when the ML patch and Noel were implemented in Indonesia. I made some friends in Chaos server waaay before the Chaos Dungeon patch and we really had fun. We even made a promise (or so I call it) to be in game when the ML patch was implemented. I wasn't. When I logged in after being on hiatus, the Chaos server got merged, and the ML cap expanded to ML20 (so it really was a loong time after our promise). I checked my friend list only to find that  my friends were gone.... Shocked, a notice came up telling me a friend was online. I quickly dropped him a hi. I asked him to be my guide as I was confused. Lucky me I was lvl 50 at that time. My gears were from COA normal so ML test wasn't an issue. I was guildless, with a Caroler title signifying a somewhat old player. I had no close friends anymore and there wasn't a single reason to go on.

... until a new server was opened. Iris. 300% exp perma-boost. I figured, why not give it a shot? I abandoned my old toons and started over. And that was the beginning of all my post-AoV experiences.

I have had a lot of ups and downs with 3 toons until I finally realized it is the community that counts. When you are in game, you really are you albeit in a completely different, simple world. We crave social interactions. That's why I usually log out when my guildies aren't in game or when I feel like it's not worth it to drop LoR and shower mummies with Thunderstorm and LoV.

Now I'm an ML20 sorcerer with maxed Rejuvenation and Healing Wave. Kinda unpopular, I guess, but hey I've been liking it. And the crit heals have always been yummy. =)

#17 7843140731162112220

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:48 PM

To be honest, I started playing ro2 when one of my fav cosplayer post her ro2 char on her facebook page.. I think someone here know who she is >.> haha
...Then all become history
I'm sorry if too short for this

#18 magpi

magpi

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 793 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:15 PM

I was a ro1 player (starting 2004?) who went on hiatus around the time of renewal. I started playing another MMO a few years later with a few friends but it never quite filled the void that i was missing with ro1. All my friends there had moved on. Logging in to a destroyed Morroc was probably the most depressing thing i had EVER encountered!! I just didn't have the heart to start all over again. 

Soon after, I received an email about ro2 BETA because of my ro1 account and decided to give it a shot. I created my first character Magpi, named after my ro1 handle. Being able to play both a rogue and alchemist (both my mains on ro1!) was a dealmaker! The memories from all the happy times i spent in ro1 came flooding back. I felt kind of lonely, magpi's name was a constant reminder of ro1. Beta ended and I decided to take a break and as in the middle of moving to a new apartment, stayed away until the noel release. I made Kimichisu, new name, new start! The rest is history! 

#19 SilentHero13

SilentHero13

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Locationサンフランシスコ
  • Server:L o a d i n g . . .

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:35 PM

When I was in 3rd grade, I played Ragnarok Online I in a private server. After 2 years, the server fell apart and closed so I stopped playing. During the summer of my Junior year in high school, I stumbled across Ragnarok Online II while browsing through the web. I started out alone with my awesome looking wolfiecorn form. A week after reaching lvl. 50, I decided to start my own guild. Since then, I've met some of the most amazing people and closest friends. ^^ Without them, I wouldn't have some of the most memorable experiences in my entire life. (Including the afk lyfe)

And I wouldn't be sitting here procrastinating on my homework....cheers!

#20 KyrieDielle

KyrieDielle

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2428 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:41 PM

I like RO1 and I was curious on how the second version of the game looks like. Honestly, I was disappointed and left the game even without getting to second job. I think I did the right decision that time.

#21 Mishhan

Mishhan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:28 AM

I was playing pRO since 2001, if I remember the first server made was Loki, after 9 years still playing i even try to play in private server :p_laugh:  but last 2010 when they announce (korea) that they making new sequence, it was RO2 Gate of the World, but i found it difficult to find a stable server, until Korea again Announces new server last 2011 RO2 LOTS and we began OBT in Sea server last Feb 2012, we use WTFast program so we can log-in, because they block PH region that time due to the announcement that RO2 is also have lone server in PH ( :p_sleep: Sadly never happen :sob: ) we try NA server by the help of our friends in NA, they made us (me and my wife :p_laugh: ) accounts,  and until now,  :heh:

Edited by Mishhan, 30 January 2015 - 07:54 AM.

#22 KaMyCHiKo

KaMyCHiKo

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:40 AM

mmmm I begin to playing MMORPG since I was 12? 14? I think 14, not sure at all... I begin playing 2D MMORPG, because 3D MMORPG didn't already exist for that time... After playing them, I make a lot of friends inside, and reach max levels, but I begin to get bored of play in the game. Few years later, I begin to get interested on other issues of the game, like developing, so with the help of a few friends that I met inside the MMORPG and that knowns about programming, developing and the game issues, so we begin to developing a fanmade server of the same game, when it was ready, we begin to release it to the public with few differents changes from official, and with more personal attendance to the players from the game masters, that makes that quantity of players rise to 300 ~ 400 daily players online, our team was developing game updates and features before official brings it, (I think that part of the credit of this was to a programmer friend that leaves us two years after for begin to work with Microsoft). Few time later, we will have filtration problems to our game files, and all our work get open to public, so that decrease our sucess, and a lot of the members of the team leave it, making that the team gets dissolved and the server closed...

After that, I make more fanmade developing servers of another games with a few selection developers of the before proyect server game, few of them become very good friends, sometimes we only take game files from internet and improve it, other we have to start from the begin, but before we begin to make our own server of the game, we always were playing at least  2~3 months the game, (this time 3D MMORPG were available) but when we reach a little of fame, conflicts between the team begin, and the servers will be closing... So I played like 10 MMMORPGs, (F2P and P4P) and at least developed 4 of them without benefits (we only accepts donations for server maintenance), so I have very good memories about, because it will always a fanmade developing, and joking was always on the air...

Arround a year ago, a very good friend, and a permanent member of my developing proyects (he was really good developing, and never failed me before), share a screenshot of Ragnarok 2 on his facebook, when i ask him, he talk me about Ragnarok 2, I've played Ragnarok 1 before and we begin to play together in. I need to recognise, at the begin, we were thinking to probably develop a fanmade server of the game, changing some features, but we begin to make much more friends that we expected, they were always asking us for playing, so finally we decide not to develop it, and to continue playing it to not leave back our friends...

Now my friend has leave the game, but for break the mold of friends that leave behind friends, he has a very happy good reason... He will become father in few months!! And he wants that I will be the godfather... I will stay playing, and hope that my friend will join the game again in a time with a new memeber on his family...

And that's my 14? 15? years long history and reasons about how I get interested on Ragnarok 2 game, and MMORPGs.

#23 Kiryu

Kiryu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2092 posts
  • LocationLily of Elon -Crystal Desert
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows - GW2

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:03 PM

Going to talk  in behalf of some ro1 players...

I got tired of the drama of WOE RO1, I wanted a change of pace, I wanted to relax... and to be true RO1 can get to your health.

I played both beta GOTW and LOTS and hoped for the IRO2 version, got it and here I am...

RO2 is relaxing for many RO1 players who we are tired after 10 years of RO1 and yet we cannot let go of RO so... (get sunglasses) Vacation time our own way~

#24 Maxscha

Maxscha

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationHide and Seek

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:31 PM

I needed something to occupy me that was more mentally active than passive to ease my cabin-fever when home-bound during the winter.

My housemate was playing this game at the time, and recommended it to me. I have been enjoying it since. I hope next winter I will be too!

I have played every offline DnD computer game I have found, and countless offline games made in a similar theme: fantasy and stat based.

This is my first truly online game. I played+GM'd NWN, but that wasn't like any current online game, as it was privately run, and always free.

I am a LARPer (Live-Action-Role-Play-er). I played DnD PnP before computers, consoles or the internet. I am an ancient gamer at heart.  :archer:

Edited by Maxscha, 30 January 2015 - 03:32 PM.

#25 CMMaridah

CMMaridah

• Retired
  • 715 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:48 PM

Now my friend has leave the game, but for break the mold of friends that leave behind friends, he has a very happy good reason... He will become father in few months!! And he wants that I will be the godfather... I will stay playing, and hope that my friend will join the game again in a time with a new memeber on his family...

Wow! Congrats to him!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users