Hows the game these days? - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Hows the game these days?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 NerdZilla

NerdZilla

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:13 PM

I played Ragnarok for a long time.  Was really into in.  Then I was eventually driven away by the endless stream of lucky boxes and the fact that Gravity was making absolutely no effort to acquire new players.  They just wanted to get more and more money out of the existing play base.  The game had become a very small pay to win community (I was on chaos server if that means anything).  Despite my best efforts I feel drawn to play Ragnarok again.

I guess my question is has anything changed?  Or are things just the same or worse as when I played?  

p.s. I didn't like renewal when I briefly tried it.  So I guess this is mostly directed at the classic servers, though if Renewal has been changed allot for the better then fill me in.

Thanks for the info.

#2 Exuro

Exuro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3267 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:38 PM

Lucky Boxes and the cash shop will never go away. But they do offer a lot for what you pay for anyway. Personally, I like the 30 day + 1,500 KP package. However, not paying for anything won't have you left behind so far anyway. If anything, it'll just be a bit slow on your part in terms of EXP and traveling (Kafra warps).

You should know that there are other RO servers that destroy the game via the cash shop. MVP Cards, game-breaking gears and an endless amount of supplies flood their cash shops like crazy. I don't think I have seen that in iRO. Lucky boxes don't do crap. They're just incentives for people who pay.

Over the past months, WP also had some events that cater to newbies such as the Jumping Janeway. iRO has also increased its level cap to 175, with Gramps leveling ending at 150. So 150-175 brings back the thrill of grinding.

Classic -- I'm not so sure. But currently, they have Jumping Janeway to entice new players to join. Oda also laid out their plans for bringing life back to Classic this year, so if you're planning on going there, better check that out.

Edited by Exuro, 01 February 2015 - 01:39 PM.

#3 ilovemilk

ilovemilk

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3452 posts
  • LocationMilky Way
  • Server:Offline

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:08 PM

The population is hurting bad.

#4 Quanta

Quanta

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Server:Chaos/Loki

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:18 PM

The population is hurting bad.

Yeah, this is pretty much the major issue hurting Classic atm, though there seems to be a recent influx of new players, so take that as you will.

#5 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10853 posts
  • Server:Renew Chaos

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:23 PM

The pay to win should not be an issue to make you leave RO. Paying or spending $ is just an option. If you do not wish to spend $, then you are free to invest your time and efforts.

Over all, the game is still very enjoyable and fun to play. It is just quite hard for new players to kick it off with 0 zeny now without spending some $.

Edited by ChakriGuard, 01 February 2015 - 02:24 PM.

#6 DarkDan

DarkDan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1280 posts
  • Server:Valk

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:36 PM

The cash shop is still around. Lucky boxes and enriched hammer are in the game often. They do sort of give the cash spenders a little advantage but not a huge advantage. You can get woe gear in game and farm the proper cards for the gear without spending cash. Some of the most OP gear(Temporal Boots as an example) can be obtained without any cash. If you want to upgrade it safely to +10 you will have to spend some cash lol. You could always farm zeny in game and buy a +10 from a cash spender if you prefer. If you are totally adverse to the cash shop don't come back. Its not going anywhere.

Renewal is growing slightly in my opinion. We just got the 175/60 update. Population is higher right now. They are updating the game more often with new content. Third classes got new job skills. I vote play renewal if you do decide to come back. 

#7 NerdZilla

NerdZilla

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:00 PM

Does classic get new content?  Or is it Ragnarok right before renewal launched just frozen in time?

#8 ClickyHpen

ClickyHpen

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • Locationtwitch.tv/chpenn
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:10 PM

classic has double exp running right now in addition to double exp, so when you pop out as a 70/30 second class you've still got something to look forward to. the population is hurting, but like quanta said, there has been a bit of a surge of new players. we do get new content from time to time, such as the challenge dungeon that came in a few months ago. just got nyd back, too. check out the q1 roadmap to see what's going on this year, i'd say.

classic is still worth playing, i'd say. i stream it and people do come in from time to time to ask how to join up and such. also, dragonlabs, if you really just wanna pop out a siege character or something? yeah.

#9 Quanta

Quanta

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:34 PM

Does classic get new content?  Or is it Ragnarok right before renewal launched just frozen in time?

It stops with Dimensional Gorge iirc. It's up in the air atm whether they add New World stuff to the game since there's a bunch of folks who feel that adding additional areas will be pointless, given that there's already an abundance of places to level at. I think the main ideas were challenge dungeons being added based on the content and having future TI events use the new monsters, but all of this would have to be balanced for Classic since there's no stats for any of the new enemies.

Right now though they're concentrating on improving the new user experience, with a new hub area based on Old Payon coming out next week that will have teleport NPCs to various low-level dungeons and a bunch of other helpful NPCs for new players. Also discussion of making this the main social hub for finding groups and stuff, though vending will likely be disabled to keep Prontera and the other towns relevant.

#10 Althes

Althes

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1376 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:Both

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:36 AM

To be honest, Gravity has made more effort to attract new players than you thought. Also, Gravity is not a charity, they need to earn money to maintain the company. As far as in my experience, the lucky boxes hardly do harm to the health of the server. In the other hand, you're free to choose grinding, but you should respect those who spent money to play, too. Lastly, it is normal to feel drawn to play at first.

#11 Lyrage

Lyrage

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • LocationWherever there's less bots.
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:58 AM

Lots of fun event and interesting updates these past few weeks really.

I hope Gravity makes a recovery on NASDAQ. :p_laugh:

#12 Quanta

Quanta

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:11 AM

Lots of fun event and interesting updates these past few weeks really.

I hope Gravity makes a recovery on NASDAQ. :p_laugh:

Pretty sure they'd have to invest heavily outside of kRO for that to become a reality.

#13 Lyrage

Lyrage

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • LocationWherever there's less bots.

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:21 AM

Just wishful thinking. :p_smile:

Seeing that the RO1 staff really made an effort to get the game on-track again. :p_love:

#14 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:34 AM

Improvements to RO won't really matter if a lot of players (non-kRO) can't even enjoy those improvements. Not to mention that DirectX update they're STILL working on which is a much-needed optimization that they're not prioritizing.

#15 Exuro

Exuro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3267 posts
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:34 AM

What can we expect after they update DirectX?

#16 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:56 AM

Less graphical glitches and lag.

#17 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:07 AM

Some things, like adding new monsters or headgears are not possible to do on Classic, and we do not have the modern UI improvements there like the Cash Shop Button, Quest tracker or navigation system that Renewal does but we are able to add maps, new weapons, armor and accessories and quests. 

We have a number of projects active for Classic to do improvements this year http://forums.warppo...015-q1-roadmap/

#18 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:40 AM

wait, without the cash shop button how do people make kp purchases on classic? npcs in a certain area?

#19 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:50 AM

wait, without the cash shop button how do people make kp purchases on classic? npcs in a certain area?

Yes. Before Renewal, players purchased cash shop items from cash shop NPCs.

#20 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:55 AM

how quaint

#21 Havenn

Havenn

They pay me to post.